Dress Rehearsal Demands Attention – But How Much?/Farr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Dress Rehearsal Demands Attention – But How Much?

By D'Marco Farr

http://www.101sports.com/2014/08/21/rams-dress-rehearsal-demands-attention-much/

I hate rehearsing. Always have. I would much rather get out there and just do it live.

There, I said it. I feel relieved. Liberated. Out of the closet, so to speak.

That being said, preseason games are a delicate balancing act for every single head coach in the National Football League. The overall health of a football team is of paramount importance coming out of exhibition play, but getting players into proper condition for the regular-season grind is what ultimately matters. While it is acceptable to play the starters for an extended amount of time in the unofficial “dress rehearsal,” or third game, you still have to use them carefully and efficiently – somewhere between 30-35 plays – or else your promising season might be wrecked out the gate.

Obviously, the goal for Jeff Fisher this weekend vs. Cleveland is to see an indication of progress offensively, defensively and on special teams. Trying to label the Rams’ performance in the last two preseason games could be foolhardy considering the number of starters and key players out due to precautionary reasons. Quarterback Sam Bradford, for example, has played roughly a quarter of football so far (about 22 plays, give or take penalized snaps).

Meanwhile, the offensive line has juggled multiple combinations the last two games with left tackle Jake Long and guard Rodger Saffold sitting out. I’m a big believer in the theory that the longer you play together, the better you play as a unit. Let’s hope it’s the best five and not just the healthiest five lining up against Minnesota on Sept. 7.

Defensively, middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, defensive tackle Michael Brockers and defensive end Williams Hayes have all been on the DNP list to start 2014. Really, this is the group that needs to go out running with the rest of the pack. There’s a big difference between running wind sprints and hunting moose, so I’m excited to see where their conditioning level is at this point. They should be fired up and ready to go Saturday.

The change in atmosphere between the last preseason game and the first regular-season game is so pronounced that the temptation will be there to keep players in longer to establish tempo and continuity. In the past, teams would play their starters through halftime and into the third quarter just to get acclimated to making adjustments for the second half. Training your body to fully warm up again and play full speed after a 20-minute break is tougher than it sounds.

This will be the first exhibition contest in which the Rams are more specific in game planning, and there will be a lot to defend when Cleveland has the football this weekend. The Browns sport four 2014 Pro Bowlers on offense: tight end Jordan Cameron, wide receiver Josh Gordon, center Alex Mack and left tackle Joe Thomas. Browns head coach Mike Pettine is a defensive-minded coach, so moving the football against Pro Bowl cornerback Joe Haden and company could prove to be difficult, too.

In any event, let the (almost real) action begin.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
For all the talk about our ftont 7 .... and yes they are one hell of a pass rushing unit, I still worry if Brockers and/or Lauranitis miss any time. Our run defense is not the stoutest, and you don't NEED to pass if you can run the ball down the opposition's throat. I just hope the preseason run defense was an anomaly. I would really like to see one more "monster" DT on the roster. Because when MB goes down, the middle of that DL looks mighty porous still.

That all said .... let's kick some Browns ass tonight!! :D(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I really, really, Really, Really want to see Laurinaitus out their tonight!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure we will see JL out there yet. Sounds like almost a game time decision. But Brockers should be huge in moving his man/men in order to prevent the gaping hole at the line.