Draft trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
Is there anyone we could trade for a first round draft pick that we could afford to lose?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Nope. If tru Johnson played up to the hype last year and didn't get injured maybe him. But he didn't. We need every good player we can get right now

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

OJ Howard ? I'm not sure who the OP is targeting with his idea but I'd love to nab Howard near the end of the first if we could move up without giving away the farm. If not, I'd be real happy with Engram in the second. Actually I might even prefer Engram. I think he is perfect for the McVay offense.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I believe so, ... probably not high in the 1'st round, but we could probably put together a player or package two together to either move up into the first or swap for a first. I'd prefer to trade for veterans though, we are young enough as it is imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we should trade someone on our team that is worth a first round pick so we can draft someone that will be just as good?

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Is there anyone we could trade for a first round draft pick that we could afford to lose?

I'm not sure how it would work .... but If we sign Tru to a franchise tag ( I'm not sure if it's exclusive or non exclusive), we could get 2 no 1s...I think it is possible to still trade him for one 1st and a package of lesser picks.... ... heck maybe we sign him to a longer contract and still trade for something. ....I'm not avocaiting getting rid of Tru....by far our best corner.....but hypothetically he may be the player we are most willing to part with that has value. But I hope not.....

Go Rams......... ;)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So we should trade someone on our team that is worth a first round pick so we can draft someone that will be just as good?

If Phillips were to conclude that one of his starters wasn't a great fit in his new system, or that another unit might benefit more, sure ... why not ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Phillips were to conclude that one of his starters wasn't a great fit in his new system, or that another unit might benefit more, sure ... why not ?
Just how many 1st round talents do you think they have?
Outside of Donald I don't think they have any. You think Phillips would trade Donald so they could draft a WR? Not me....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Just how many 1st round talents do you think they have?
Outside of Donald I don't think they have any. You think Phillips would trade Donald so they could draft a WR? Not me....

No, of course not Donald, he's the cornerstone of our D. But a package which might include anyone from Hayes, Ogletree, & Barron, although I believe it to be highly unlikely, I would consider a trade for a quality LT. I'd rather the CAP focus be more on OLB's than ILB's within Phillips' 3-4, and with Ogletree's becoming a free agent in 2018 and Barron's already high CAP number, an adjustment may have to be made sooner than later. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OJ Howard ? I'm not sure who the OP is targeting with his idea but I'd love to nab Howard near the end of the first if we could move up without giving away the farm. If not, I'd be real happy with Engram in the second. Actually I might even prefer Engram. I think he is perfect for the McVay offense.

This is one of the deepest and most talented TE classes in recent memory. We just took a talented kid last year in Tyler Higbee. I am not big on taking a TE early in the draft.

I watched a lot of Engram. He's talented, but I wouldn't spend a second on him in this class.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
No, of course not Donald, he's the cornerstone of our D. But a package which might include anyone from Hayes, Ogletree, & Barron, although I believe it to be highly unlikely, I would consider a trade for a quality LT. I'd rather the CAP focus be more on OLB's than ILB's within Phillips' 3-4, and with Ogletree's becoming a free agent in 2018 and Barron's already high CAP number, an adjustment may have to be made sooner than later. jmo.

I wouldn't entertain anything that meant giving up Tree. I think Tree has a ton of talent and our new coaches will get him playing lights out. He'll be considered one of the best LB's in the game after the 17 season imo. Cleveland might be interested in Barron but not for anything close to a 1st. Dont think Hayes has much trade value either.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
This is one of the deepest and most talented TE classes in recent memory. We just took a talented kid last year in Tyler Higbee. I am not big on taking a TE early in the draft.

I watched a lot of Engram. He's talented, but I wouldn't spend a second on him in this class.

I have high hopes for Higbee too but I didn't see anything from him last year that gets me excited. Engram looks like a terror out there. Imagine Higbee (assuming he becomes a beast) and Engram out there together. I'm thinking of a Gronk/Hernandez type duo in McVay's system.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I wouldn't entertain anything that meant giving up Tree. I think Tree has a ton of talent and our new coaches will get him playing lights out. He'll be considered one of the best LB's in the game after the 17 season imo. Cleveland might be interested in Barron but not for anything close to a 1st. Dont think Hayes has much trade value either.

Barron and Hayes alone wouldn't get us a 1'st, but a package might get us a decent pick. Thing is Barron's contract pretty much rules him out as trade bait this season imo. Not saying i'd like to move Ogletree, but the OP's question was more about who we could trade to get us a decent draft pick. Being that his CAP will likely get significantly more expensive next season as he potentially enters free agency, he had better have a very good 2017. Without the benefit of seeing 'Tree' in Phillips' scheme yet, i'm hard pressed to say where he'd be best utilized, as a WLB in a 4/3 or as an ILB in a 3/4. I imagine we'll know soon enough. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looks most likely that the highest graded positions at our pick in round two will be CB or DE. But whatever it is, take it. No more reaching for projects and thinking we're smarter than everyone else. Just go BPA. Hopefully they'll bring in enough in the FA period to avoid needing to reach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have high hopes for Higbee too but I didn't see anything from him last year that gets me excited. Engram looks like a terror out there. Imagine Higbee (assuming he becomes a beast) and Engram out there together. I'm thinking of a Gronk/Hernandez type duo in McVay's system.

Is the Hernandez part of that duo worth more than a quality #2 WR? Because you're likely passing on that by taking Engram there. My opinion? No.

Jordan Reed was a 3rd, and Hernandez was a 4th. At that point, it's absolutely worth it. But at pick #37? I'm going a different direction.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the defense is even remotely deep enough to trade multiple players, especially considering Tree. We are extremely thin at true LB so I would imagine Tree would be as close to untouchable as can be.
We don't have a 1st rounder. It's a bummer but it's only 1 pick, 1 player. After giving up as much as they did last year for Goff, I cant see trading multiple players again, for 1. Just doesn't make any sense
Maybe a mid/late rounder on a Hayes type could be possible, but a 1st? Nah

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't think the defense is even remotely deep enough to trade multiple players, especially considering Tree. We are extremely thin at true LB so I would imagine Tree would be as close to untouchable as can be.
We don't have a 1st rounder. It's a bummer but it's only 1 pick, 1 player. After giving up as much as they did last year for Goff, I cant see trading multiple players again, for 1. Just doesn't make any sense
Maybe a mid/late rounder on a Hayes type could be possible, but a 1st? Nah

We may have more options than you think. Perhaps we could trade our 2'nd rd. pick and a player to move into the lower 1'st round. I'm just spit-ball'n here, trying to cover all the bases, not necessarily advocating a particular method to achieve what the OP has asked for. If we want to move up, I believe we can do it, whether it turns out to be the right way to go is another matter.
While I like Ogletree, I don't rank him as an 'untouchable' at this time, especially considering his becoming a free agent in 2018. I only have 4 'untouchables' for 2017; Donald, Goff, Gurley & Hekker. Quinn could be a 5'th so long as he returns 100% healthy. Trading 'Tree' saves over $8.mil against the CAP, where next year he may be expecting a Barron like $10-$11mil. If he has a 2017 season that has Phillips believing an ILB in his system is worth that, more power to him. On the other hand, once he hits free agency, we may get nothing for him. Same decision next year that we face with Tru Johnson this year. jmo.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
On the other hand, once he hits free agency, we may get nothing for him. Same decision next year that we face with Tru Johnson this year. jmo.
I mean, it isn't nothing, free agents that walk net us comp picks. We got a 3rd round comp for Jenkins, so if Tru walks we probably get the same for him and if Ogletree walks in 2018 we are probably looking at a 4th. So it isn't nothing. Especially now that comps can be traded. Just something to keep in mind.