Draft Thoughts?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ltrautman

MIZ
I was extremely busy this past weekend and unable to keep tabs on ROD as much as I would have liked to. Would anyone mind giving me their overall thoughts or what they think the general consensus is on this draft? I personally felt pretty indifferent towards it, I'm very excited by Gurley but a few picks (like Mannion in the 3rd) perplexed me some. Any replies would be much appreciated

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I loved this draft....the prospects were very scheme specific..... but inside of that scheme and with the players on the rams roster (skill positions) that surround them.....I think they ALL have the ability and skill to excel. ....... ;)......but time will tell.

Go Rams............ ;)

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I was a bit underwhelmed.

Can't say I blame you, after all the great reading you have provided this site over the past 3-4 month's regarding the draft just to see the Rams pass on one after another had to of disappointing to say the least.

I wonder if the Rams had allowed you in their War Room (as our ROD rep of course:)) and had discussed their reasoning behind the picks (especially the QB) if they could have persuaded you towards their side?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Can't say I blame you, after all the great reading you provided this site over the past 3-4 month's regarding the draft just to see the Rams pass on one after another had to of disappointing to say the least.

I wonder if the Rams had allowed you in their War Room (as our ROD rep of course:)) and had discussed their reasoning behind the picks (especially the QB) if they could have steered you towards their side?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is the way I felt at first, but then ...

ALL have the ability and skill to excel. ....... ;)......but time will tell.
.. After careful analysis, of the Draftee's, I feel like this^!!
They all have a lot of playing experience in college, and have strong points! I think it is going to be Fun watching them develop!(y)(y):D

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'd just love to see the draft board. I'm intrigued as to what round grades they had on guys and why they thought a guy like Jamon Brown was worth such an early pick - when most media guys had him going undrafted or 6th/7th round. What is it they see in the guy that put him above the other, better known guys that were on the board at the time.

We have to trust them on this - but we don't have the information they do so as a fan its a bit confusing!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd just love to see the draft board. I'm intrigued as to what round grades they had on guys and why they thought a guy like Jamon Brown was worth such an early pick - when most media guys had him going undrafted or 6th/7th round. What is it they see in the guy that put him above the other, better known guys that were on the board at the time.

We have to trust them on this - but we don't have the information they do so as a fan its a bit confusing!
I agree it would be Great to see their Big Board, But I'm sure that's " Top Secret" and will never get out to the general public!! Too bad!!:(

ausmurp

Starter
I loved it. At first I was underwhelmed. I was angry that we passed on TJ Clemmings and took 2 OLers I didn't even know of before he was drafted. I was angry about not drafting WR Strong, he dropped pretty far I felt like we should've moved up and snagged him in the 3rd. I was angry we didn't draft WR Lippit or RB Langford from Mich St., they fell very far and were both very talented I think they both went in 5th. But in the end, there are always other players on the same tier and fact is, only 50% of them will work out anyway. And I'm pretty much always wrong on my talent evaluations anyway lol.

ausmurp

Starter
I loved the Gurley pick, I think if he can stay healthy he is going to be the best RB in NFL in just 1 year. He is absolutely a HUGE fantasy sleeper as well so make sure you get him late in your fantasy draft. When he gets in, he's going to easily put up 12 - 16 ppg imo.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
It feels like an average draft. Gurley was great and addressing the oline was great but it feels like they left some talented lineman on the board.

The good news is they seemed to draft players that fit the scheme and sometimes that's the most important thing. Although it seems like they may have reached on a couple its clear they did their homework and had a plan. They were going to fix the line and must have put a lot of time in evaluating the position.

The bright side is we all agreed that the gap between the 2nd and 5th rounds was not significant and some of the picks by not only the Rams but other teams reflected that.

I think we as a board were kind of on board with getting Cann or Clemmings and to see them available at various stages and not get one is probably why we feel underwhelmed. I know I was disappointed we did not get Tre Jackson or Shaq Mason.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I was extremely busy this past weekend and unable to keep tabs on ROD as much as I would have liked to. Would anyone mind giving me their overall thoughts or what they think the general consensus is on this draft? I personally felt pretty indifferent towards it, I'm very excited by Gurley but a few picks (like Mannion in the 3rd) perplexed me some. Any replies would be much appreciated

This was the first draft in the Snead/Fisher era where I didn't hate a selection or move the team made.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Aside from Mannion, Sasser, and Ifedi, I'm perfectly fine with this draft. I do think that we could've taken more risks than we did in the seventh. I'm disappointed that we didn't snag Paul Dawson in the third instead of Mannion. I'm very disappointed in the Sasser pick. I wish that we would've snagged Lynden Trail in the seventh instead of Ifedi, where he would have been an absolute steal and well worth the risk.

But overall, we fixed the offensive line. We now have the most dominant three-headed monster at running back that football has ever known.

Just hoping that they can keep Foles upright. He's the key to everything this season.

Ltrautman

MIZ
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have to think that at least two (if not more) of these OL draftees will pan out. Havenstein seems to be a great pickup but I'd still like to bring in another veteran to pave the way for Gurley. I think Mason will play some of the best ball in his career over the first few weeks to try to prove himself but I think Fisher is set on Gurley taking the reigns.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I understand the approach they took to the draft and the game plan they will be taking into the 2015 season. I don't necessarily like the choices they made but realizing what Fisher wants to do the choices make some sense. There probably were better picks or rather picks we'd have liked more that could have accomplished this goal but we'll have to see how it comes together in camp.

TexasRam

Legend
My Draft thoughts are these...

You have to go BPA in round 1 unless it's close. All the Olineman we may have wanted had big question marks and would be huge reaches at pick 10. Gurley was the way to go at 10. You just don't pass up a possible gamebreaker like that at pick 10.

The rest of the picks are wait and see for me. Don't know much about any of them. You have to like that we didn't ignore the line. But the flip side is we drafted for need the rest of the way vs value.

FRO

Legend
Outside of the Gurley pick, which I loved, I was very underwhelmed. Reminded me of the 2011 draft or the 2012 second round.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
TODD GURLEY!!!!

Then it's a lot like the rest...I wanna see if the "smart" guys can play....

Big Willie

Starter
I estimate there are over 500 players drafted, signed as UDFA, or offered tryouts annually. While I watch some college football games, I don't study every game from every team. That means, I only see the big plays from most games and only see glimpses of the performance of "non-skilled" positions. With the exception of The Todd Gurley pick; which I love, I do not have an informed opinion on the strengths and upside potential of the big uglies we drafted. Further, when you factor in changes in position, i.e., tackle to guard, a quick evaluation of a draft is very hard. That's why I think draft grades are stupid. Criticism for not selecting positional players of need is valid, but criticism over drafting a specific player is tough.
I am happy with the draft as we addressed needs at OL. I would have like a FS and ILB. Other than those positions, I have no complaints. History has shown us that just because a player has a recognizable name at draft time, doesn't mean he will be most successful at his position.

Beauty is in the beholder. I like tall buxom blondes with long flowing hair. Someone else may prefer tall buxom gingers with shorter hair. Either way, we both can get what we want.....to tap that ass!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Only thing I would have done differently is I would have drafted La'ell Collins in the 6th or 7th. It's pissed me off that Dallas got 3 first round picks because no one else was going to gamble on guys like Gregory and Collins. Most of the time those 7th rounders dont even make the roster so what do you have to lose?

paceram

Pro Bowler
Only thing I would have done differently is I would have drafted La'ell Collins in the 6th or 7th. It's pissed me off that Dallas got 3 first round picks because no one else was going to gamble on guys like Gregory and Collins. Most of the time those 7th rounders dont even make the roster so what do you have to lose?

Totally agree! I kept waiting for the Rams to use a later round pick on Collins but it never happened. Then I keep reading why would the Rams waste even a late round pick on Collins when he stated he would sit out the year before he would play for them. Well, first of all I seriously doubt he would sit out the year and second of all if he really was serious about it I would think the Rams could had traded him to another team and got a pretty good return on investment. And, I know the Rams weren't the only teams that did not draft him (Which really makes me wonder if the NFL wasn't involved somehow) but I personally think they blew a good opportunity to make their OL better (I know they drafted several Offensive Linemen and hopefully some pretty good ones but I think Collins can be special!). I have tried not to comment on this topic since I was really disappointed the Rams didn't draft him and I didn't really want to beat a "DEAD HORSE" anymore but when I read this post I couldn't help myself!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Totally agree! I kept waiting for the Rams to use a later round pick on Collins but it never happened. Then I keep reading why would the Rams waste even a late round pick on Collins when he stated he would sit out the year before he would play for them. Well, first of all I seriously doubt he would sit out the year and second of all if he really was serious about it I would think the Rams could had traded him to another team and got a pretty good return on investment. And, I know the Rams weren't the only teams that did not draft him (Which really makes me wonder if the NFL wasn't involved somehow) but I personally think they blew a good opportunity to make their OL better (I know they drafted several Offensive Linemen and hopefully some pretty good ones but I think Collins can be special!). I have tried not to comment on this topic since I was really disappointed the Rams didn't draft him and I didn't really want to beat a "DEAD HORSE" anymore but when I read this post I couldn't help myself!

Can't speak for Collins, but if I were him, I'd sit out the season. This is still a business and he'd make more money by sitting out and re-entering the draft draft if a team used a late round pick on him.

Last edited: