Draft delay not good for the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Draft delay not good for the NFL
Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2014

nfl-draft1.jpg
Getty Images

Mark Cuban may have been right.

It took me a while to type that. I don’t want Mark Cuban to be right, for various reasons. Including, you know, Mark Cuban.

But I’ve come to wonder whether Cuban may be on to something when he talks about the NFL getting too big for its own good. Of the league getting so big that the audience becomes taken for granted.

Whatever the motivation — the given excuse was a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall for an event that eventually was canceled due to lack of interest — the NFL’s decision to bump back the draft by two weeks has been as much of a dud as the NFL-sanctioned film Draft Day. A palpable fatigue has emerged regarding the draft. We sense it, and we (or at least I) currently have it.

While the league reportedly would like to space out the three major offseason tent poles (Scouting Combine, free agency, and draft) to March, April, and May, respectively, moving the draft to May while leaving the other two in place has created the worst thing any media-driven industry can have: A lull.

No one likes the lull. Also, agents don’t like the fact that teams have more times to ask players to engage in private workouts. Teams don’t like having more time to evaluate and obsess and think and re-think.

As one G.M. said via text on Wednesday night, “Remind me again why the draft is not tomorrow? Is it so we can see another two weeks of mock drafts?”

We’ve yet to hear from anyone who likes the two-week delay, and the extended vacuum that it creates in the offseason.

By the time the draft begins, nearly two months will have passed since the start of free agency. And while the schedule release provided a temporary oasis from the lagging of the offseason calendar, a feeling remains that too much time is elapsing between major offseason events.

Here’s hoping the NFL, in its admirable desire to always improve the product, recognizes and admits that the effort to improve the product by delaying the draft by two weeks hasn’t. Here’s hoping that the NFL moves the draft back to what would have been tonight, keeping it there unless and until the other two major offseason events move deeper into the calendar as well.

2 hours, 27 minutes until the draft. Or at least it should be. I've decided I'm no longer going to read any draft articles until the 7th may.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Please tell me again who was the BRILLIANT person who decided to move the Draft to May? And, who was the BRILLIANT organization who agreed to it?

Alan

Legend
RhodyRams wanting to share the swag:
that's great...mind if I borrow it...promise I will return it when I am done
You can't borrow something from me that I don't own. Enjoy. ;)

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't mind the draft being later because that means the time between the draft and the actual season is shorter. There's going to be a lull no matter what they do. I thought the way they are doing things now was to give teams more time to sign NFL free agents anyway. Which I happen to agree with.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I don't like the delay either. It's dragging on toooo long. What happens? We start over analyzing players and were they'll be drafted. Johhny Manziel to the Rams? Really? SMH

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think this evaluation needs to go on hold until the results are in,there is a lull in the action AFTER the draft every year as well, and that lull is now shortened so in the end the wait could keep the energy going straight on up to training camp

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think this evaluation needs to go on hold until the results are in,there is a lull in the action AFTER the draft every year as well, and that lull is now shortened so in the end the wait could keep the energy going straight on up to training camp

Yeah. So far the indications are that nobody likes it. I am interested in seeing who likes it after the draft.

My guess is that many will still hate it. There will be lots of team scouts and admins who will hate that they have less time off to recover.