DRAFT DAY

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I can't wait until Friday. I usually don't go to new movies on opening night but I think I'll make an exception with this one. Anyone else planning on going to see this movie?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure if I'll go to the theater for it but it does look like a must see. I do wonder how accurate of a portrayal it will be.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I thought it looked pretty good in the commercials. I definitely want to see it.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Im not going on opening night but getting the boys together and going to buffalo wild wings on sunday to drink beer eat wings and watch a little of the masters then going to see it. Cant wait nice little tease before the draft in 2 weeks.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just got back from seeing it. I wish I hadn't have gone because now, I'm REALLY jonesing for the draft. I read some of the reviews which were luke warm at best but I think it was a pretty good flick. Not to spoil anything, I'll just say the top LB in the draft was named Mack, and they had the Rams picking 2nd. One thing is for sure, the makers of this movies must have dropped some serious change to the NFL to get this one done. Some pretty good one-liners were dished out as well but I'll let you experience them for yourselves. Go see it.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Just got back from seeing it. I wish I hadn't have gone because now, I'm REALLY jonesing for the draft. I read some of the reviews which were luke warm at best but I think it was a pretty good flick. Not to spoil anything, I'll just say the top LB in the draft was named Mack, and they had the Rams picking 2nd. One thing is for sure, the makers of this movies must have dropped some serious change to the NFL to get this one done. Some pretty good one-liners were dished out as well but I'll let you experience them for yourselves. Go see it.
I just saw it as well.

It was OK...I thought the acting and the story was good overall. I liked the insight into the draft it gave.

SPOILER ALERT (Kind of, but not really)
What I didn't like was the unrealistic outcome of the final deal made. A team wouldn't settle for that outcome like that when they could have had the player they wanted from the beginning.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Saw it yesterday it was pretty good, Wasnt as good as I was expecting it to be but worth seeing. The seahawks are made to look retarted in it so thats a plus.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Saw it yesterday it was pretty good, Wasnt as good as I was expecting it to be but worth seeing. The seahawks are made to look retarted in it so thats a plus.
That's the part I alluded to above...just to unrealistic and idiotic. Teams get fleeced from time to time...but that was a bit much.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
jennifer-garner-storyimage960.jpg

Dale Robinette/Summit Entertainment

How the Salary Cap Got Caught Up in a Love Story
Jennifer Garner sought out Megan Rogers—the Browns’ money manager—to prepare for her role in Draft Day. But her on-screen relationship with the leading man has left some women sports executives unable to suspend disbelief
By Emily Kaplan

A few days before Draft Day began filming last summer, Jennifer Garner walked through the Browns’ facility and made a beeline for the office of Megan Rogers, Cleveland’s salary cap manager. “Megan,” pleaded the movie’s leading lady. “I want to know exactly what you do.”

Rogers was in the middle of working on rookie contracts. The last thing she wanted was to leak confidential information, or worse, have phone numbers and personal data get out.

“OK,” Rogers said. “Give me 10 minutes.”

Rogers sifted through spreadsheets, fudging numbers and names, and then summoned the Hollywood actress back in. For the next hour, and over several other salary cap sessions, Rogers taught Garner about signing bonuses, the rookie wage scale, and guarantees.

“Also, what it means to hit the cap,” Garner says. “Truth is, before shooting this movie or meeting Megan, I knew nothing.”

Draft Day, as you probably know from its full-on promotional blitz, tells the fictional story of beleaguered Browns general manager Sonny Weaver (Kevin Costner) and his time-ticking mission to reinvigorate the even more beleaguered franchise. It features famous faces (a laudable, albeit small role by Arian Foster, plus cameos from Jim Brown and just about every NFL Network analyst) and unprecedented access (a full scene at Radio City Music Hall in which Roger Goodell announces picks).

The movie also features Garner as front office exec Ali Parker—not only a romantic interest of the general manager’s, but also a valued voice in key football business decisions. It is an underpublicized aspect of the movie, but an important one, as the role of gender and the NFL still generates news.

Screenwriters Rajiv Joseph and Scott Rothman created the character because some of the most passionate NFL fans they know are women. The NFL has said women now account for nearly half of its fan base, with 375,000 attending NFL games each weekend. “It was a no-brainer for us to include a woman who not only knows her stuff, but also affects the details of this story,” Joseph says. “And someone our protagonist can lean on.” They loosely based Garner’s character on former Browns employee Dawn Aponte (now Miami’s executive vice president of football administration). Rogers, an Aponte protégée, emerged as a key resource throughout filming.

Yet Draft Day also sheds light on the NFL’s inclusion of women at the highest level. Title IX is nearly 42 years old, and its impact has been nothing short of revolutionary. However, the law’s ancillary effects—accepting women as decision-makers, managers and executives in sports—has been more evolutionary, especially in male-dominated sports such as football. According to the NFL, there were 72 women in team or league office positions at the vice president level or above in 2013. It’s an impressive number, but only a handful of those positions are in football operations (many are VPs of community relations or marketing).

• gallery-4.jpg

Jennifer Garner and Kevin Costner in “Draft Day”. (Dale Robinette/Summit Entertainment)
  • gallery-3.jpg

Bengals owner Mike Brown (l.) and Katie Blackburn, his daughter and Cincy’s executive VP. (Al Behrman/AP)
  • gallery-21.jpg

Yankees assistant GM Jean Afterman (l.) at a December 2013 press conference introducing catcher Brian McCann. (Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
  • gallery-1.jpg
Dawn Aponte (second from l.) is the Dolphins’ executive VP of football ops. (Joel Auerback/Getty Images)

“There are more and more women in front offices, and so I don’t think it’s implausible for Hollywood to portray a woman in this role,” says Katie Blackburn, executive VP of the Bengals and one of the highest-ranking woman executives in pro football. “In fact, it’s probably a good thing to show this is becoming more commonplace. However, for accuracy in the portrayal, I’ll need to give it some leeway. It is Hollywood, after all.”

Blackburn hasn’t seen the movie yet, but received a report from her mother. “She kept using the word entertaining,” says Blackburn, the daughter of Bengals owner Mike Brown. And although Parker is portrayed as strong and respected—in many scenes, she is the reasoned voice to Weaver’s melodramatic quest for the perfect draft pick—one plot point has raised concerns: Parker is in a relationship with the Brown’s GM and pregnant with his child.

“When I read the synopsis, I felt queasy,” says Jean Afterman, an assistant general manager of the Yankees. “Any woman in a front office would not be respected if she were sleeping with the GM—even if they were in a committed relationship. I find it completely unacceptable.”

Rogers has seen the movie twice, and wasn’t as bothered.

“They definitely take some liberties,” she says, “But they did a good job with the accuracy of what a salary cap expert does, strictly from a job standpoint.”

For that, the screenwriters owe Rogers a big assist. They took pictures of her office, pried about work-appropriate attire (Garner is smartly dressed in knee-length skirts, heels and tucked-in blouses), and even adopted tidbits from Roger’s professional life into the script—excluding, of course, the romantic relationship.

In one scene Denis Leary, the Browns coach, sits with Garner in the cafeteria and parts of her backstory are revealed, including the fact that she went to law school. “We totally stole that from Megan,” Joseph says. “One day we asked her, ‘How do you become a salary cap manager?’ She told us and we were like, ‘Shoot, we gotta add that to our script.’ ”

This line of Garner’s was also poached from Rogers, “Here’s when I get happy: when the salary cap comes in under 125 million dollars. That’s when I smile.”

Garner took notes anytime she spoke to Rogers, and benefited from filming much of the movie in the Browns’ facility. “So many random times, I’d go in and ask questions, ‘Is this something you would say? Is this how you would act?’ ” Garner says. “As much as I felt like I could without impinging on what she needed to do to actually get her job done.”

The two became friends and remain in touch via email. Just last week, as Garner was jet-setting across the country on a whirlwind promotional tour, the actress sent a note to Rogers: “I know you like to keep things private, and that I keep talking about you, but I really think that you are the coolest and I modeled my character after you.”

For the most part, at least by Hollywood’s standards, Garner did just that.

draft-day-storyimage-9601.jpg

Dale Robinette/Summit Entertainment

‘Draft Day’ Reality Checks
The Kevin Costner movie had unprecedented access to capture the inner workings of the NFL draft and how front office executives go about their business. I lived that life for a decade—here’s what Hollywood got right and wrong
By Andrew Brandt

As someone who worked in an NFL front office for 10 years, my initial thought upon being asked to review Draft Day was that it would be an entertaining movie with an enticing ensemble cast—but lacking any true depiction of how an NFL team operates leading up to and during the draft. Those suspicions were confirmed upon seeing it last weekend.

While Draft Day held my interest and at times came tantalizingly close to mirroring reality—especially the tension and emotion in the green room, where players nervously wait for their names to be called while TV cameras record every reaction—it predictably revolved around cinematic “wow” moments rather than the tedious reality of working in an NFL front office. The true minutiae of a football operation may only be fascinating to avid football fans, so I understand the need to portray it in a more sensational light for mass appeal.

As with the business football, the business of filmmaking rules decision-making. The studio executives behind Draft Day knew that a movie entirely true to NFL war room preparation and execution—with the nonstop waiting around, checking and rechecking of scouting and medical reports, and talking in code about players—would be box office suicide. But then again, I’ve seen two other movies that more accurately captured the business of sports without sacrificing broad appeal.

I thought Jerry Maguire accurately portrayed the cutthroat nature of the agent business, especially the lengths to which agents will go to retain or pilfer clients. It also captured the financial, emotional and psychological investment that goes far beyond negotiating contracts. While it veered into a love story between the characters played Tom Cruise and Rene Zellweger—“You had me at hello!”—it still largely resonated with reality. And I definitely noticed an uptick of young people becoming interested in the agent business after Jerry Maguire.

Moneyball persuasively exposed front office tension between competing scouting applications: the old school “eye-balling” of players and newer models of data-driven statistical analysis. I thought the most powerful and instructive line of the movie was spoken by Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane (played by Brad Pitt), who proclaimed, “Adapt or die!”

As a theme, pure baseball wasn’t enough to carry Moneyball; movies require character development and subplots, and the heartfelt scenes between the divorced Beane and his endearing daughter certainly pulled on heartstrings. But I still think Moneyball—both the book and the movie—will become a time capsule for the business of sports: fifty years from now fans will chuckle at the skepticism that some scouts and coaches had about analytical player evaluation.

As for Draft Day, here are my biggest takeaways on its authenticity—or lack thereof.

The grind
Preparing for the NFL draft is a painstakingly slow and laborious process—involving millions of dollars and hundreds of hours—toward selecting anywhere from seven to 10 players who will be meaningful additions to the infrastructure of the team for years to come.

Scouts and general managers scour the country for six months before convening to carefully construct The Board, each team’s blueprint that will guide draft day decision-making. The best general managers calmly trust The Board to guide them at all times. Months of meticulous preparation have been invested; it is time for team personnel to pace themselves for the three long days of the draft.

In Draft Day, the Browns are incredulously doing due diligence on their presumptive top choice—quaterback Bo Callahan (Josh Pence)—after trading three first-round picks so they can move up to select him! What’s more, general manager Sonny Weaver Jr. (Kevin Costner) discovers on film a sharp downturn in in Callahan’s performance after he’s sacked by linebacker Vontae Mack (Chadwick Boseman). And Weaver only does so after getting a call on his cellphone from Mack, who incredulously has a direct line to a GM on the day of the draft.

In the real world, that information would have been uncovered, discussed, debated and dissected months earlier. There are very few surprises about NFL prospects, who have been grilled for months.

Impulse, emotion and conflict

draft-day-browns-owner-360.jpg

Browns owner Anthony Molina, played by Frank Langella. (Dale Robinette/Summit Entertainment)

I thought Kevin Costner was admirably understated and realistic in his portrayal of an NFL general manager. Though spurred by a save-your-job ultimatum from Browns owner Anthony Molina (Frank Langella), his impulsive trading of picks is the type of irrational decision-making that seems to be more in line with his character from Tin Cup, the risk-taking Roy McAvoy.

Yes, it’s true that the real-life Redskins did mortgage their future by sending three top draft picks to the Rams in order to select Robert Griffin III in 2012, but that was a rare exception we may never see again. Teams know that first-round draft picks are among the most valuable currency and are loathe to trade them, especially not in time-pressured spontaneous phone conversations without consulting trusted associates.

When the powers that be—usually owners and head coaches rather than general managers—make impulsive decisions, it renders months of preparation and grunt work utterly meaningless. Nothing deflates a scouting staff more than a rogue decision-maker who strays from The Board to satiate a gut feeling.

The movie did portray a realistic view of the all-consuming nature of what it takes to be an NFL general manager, including Weaver masochistically listening to talk radio skewering him. Many NFL general managers listen, watch and read everything that gets said about them—especially the ones who say they don’t. Further, I thought the interactions between the Browns’ security director and Weaver were accurate in terms of the type of information that was uncovered and shared, even if it was revealed far too late in the process.

Throughout the film, Weaver seems to be living in a constant state of conflict. He has heated exchanges with the team owner (who still hasn’t taken off his sunglasses); with his coach (the two aren’t in the same universe, let alone being on the same page); with his mother (who insists on scattering her late husband’s ashes on the team’s practice field an hour before the draft), and his incumbent quarterback (who throws a tantrum and trashes Weaver’s office upon hearing the team may select his replacement). Internal tensions exist within every NFL team, but they occur in much more subtle, muted and measured tones. Of course, subtle and measured do not play well in Hollywood.

draft-day-jennifer-garner-8001.jpg

Jennifer Garner as the Browns’ salary cap manager
I am still processing this one. The Browns’ salary cap manager, Ali Parker, is the secret girlfriend of the general manager, and pregnant with his child. Um, well, I suppose there were some late nights poring over contract language and salary cap impacts?

During my time as the Packers vice president—I did the same job that Jennifer Garner does in the film—I am sure the hundreds of agents with whom I dealt would have much preferred negotiating with her rather than me. The reality, however, is that while there are many women in administrative roles on NFL teams—legal, public relations, marketing, finance, etc.—there are very few in the gritty world of general managers, agents, scouts and coaches.

While Garner commendably depicted the calm and measured personality required of that role, her character offered little pushback against Weaver’s unpredictable professional impulses. Asked about cash and cap consequences of trading picks to move into the top spot of the draft, she rightfully informed Weaver of the increased cost but, in an effort to please, proclaimed, “We can do it!” In a more realistic portrayal, she would have been a stronger voice of caution, advising that forfeiting future top draft picks would mean that reasonably priced long-term assets would likely be replaced with more expensive and short-term (veteran) replacements.

Six final takeaways from Draft Day
  • Although Sean Combs was cast in the role of a stereotypical agent, the presence of real NFL agents—such as David Dunn, agent for the fictional top pick Vontae Mack, and veteran Eugene Parker moving through the green room—was a nice addition. I smiled at seeing Dunn carrying with his ubiquitous yellow legal pad, a fixture for Dave in our many negotiations.
  • No team doctor or trainer appeared in the film, even though they are essential in the draft day decision-making process.
  • Although the bumbling intern assisting Weaver is a humorous character (played by Griffin Newman), the thought of a new intern completely foreign to the GM handling critical calls from other general managers on the day of the draft is, well, it’s a movie.
  • I found it interesting that the NFL general manager most duped in trade machinations worked for the Seahawks, a team that is known to have one of the more astute front offices in the league (Draft Day, of course, was filmed prior to Seattle winning the Super Bowl last season).
  • The interactions between general managers, complete with split-screen phone conversations, were infused with a bit too much testosterone. Most GMs hone their skills in the same college scouting circles and have known each other for years. They realize the risk to their reputations of “getting over” on one another. Further, the “deer in the headlights” look of the Jaguars’ general manager is, while amusing, a bit hard to imagine of someone managing a billion dollar asset.
  • And, of course, the movie ending with the team’s general manager and salary cap manager walking out hand-in-hand with, ostensibly, more than half of the draft’s first round still to play out? Well, there’s a difference between the reality of The Board and the big screen.
----------------------------
They Complete Us
Football movies may not always get the action right, but the best offer a realistic glimpse into a fascinating world—or let us live out a fantasy. These are The MMQB staff’s favorites. Yours? Let us know in the comments section

Jerry Maguire
Peter King, Editor-in-Chief

I really liked Jerry Maguire back in the day—back, I guess, almost two decades ago—but for me to name it my favorite football movie ever says a lot about football movies. Basically, football movies have stunk. It has a lot to do with two things: It’s very hard to simulate a real football game up on the big screen. And I’ve covered football for 30 years now, so I can sniff out a fake pretty easily. But there was something about Jerry Maguire that appealed to me. Two things, really. They had the agent thing down pat. Tom Cruise plays a good desperado agent.

I was convinced he could act after seeing him desperately mine for phone numbers and contacts after being divorced from his big agency. That desperation, I knew, is what an agent shunned from his group would display. Two: the Rod Tidwell character, played by (Cuba Gooding Jr., actually reminded me of Michael Irvin. Street smart, very funny, talented, and hugely concerned with The Next Contract. That’s what so many players try to hide, but it looked real to me. “SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!” is clearly the best line in football movie history, and Gooding deserved the Oscar he won for Best Supporting Actor. Because he was the best at playing a football player, on and off the field, that I’ve seen.

jerry-maguire-800.jpg

Show him the you-know-what. (TriStar Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection)

Jerry MaguireJenny Vrentas, staff writer

We live in a cynical world. And we work in a business of tough competitors. When Jerry Maguire came out in 1996, I was in seventh grade, and I’m quite certain I had no concept of what this statement actually meant. But I loved the movie for being a window into this high-stakes, complicated, adult world I knew nothing about. (Also, that kid was adorable.) It’s remained a favorite through the years, and now working within the world of professional football, I see the pressures and dilemmas Maguire faces in the movie are not only real, but persistent. His crisis of conscience at the outset, after all, is triggered by the son of a player who suffers his fourth concussion, who asks Maguire, “Shouldn’t somebody get him to stop?”

As an adult, I think what I like the most is not the way the movie winds toward its satisfying conclusion— Maguire and his top (only) client, Rod Tidwell, learning to value some things more than money—but the realistic portrayal of how getting there can be a messy, lonely, ongoing fight. All that, in a movie centering on a sports agent … go figure!

Remember the Titans
Greg A. Bedard, senior writer

Yeah, I know it’s a bit corny, and a Disneyfied version of the true story, but I can’t help but watch Remember the Titans every time it’s on TV. The performances of Denzel Washington and Will Patton are so good they make you look past the cringe-inducing parts. (“Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye” at a funeral? Really?)

I buy into it all each time I watch: the team dealing with the racism around them, the tough coach trying to get his players to believe, the coaches finally putting their egos aside, the Gary-Julius dynamic, and one of my favorite sports movie sequences. (“I don’t want them to gain another yard!”) What resonates most about Remember the Titans is that we’ve all been on teams that have a broad collection of personalities and backgrounds, but you become a band of brothers during that time, and for the rest of your life. That’s not corny. That’s reality.
remember-the-titans-2.jpg

Denzel inspires the Titans. (Disney Enterprises, Inc/Photofest)

Friday Night Lights
Robert Klemko, staff writer

There’s not enough written about the way longform visual media transformed how we think about football. The work of NFL Films and several motion picture companies over the last several decades breathed life into a previously inaccessible sport, foreign in so many ways to everybody out there who found little romance in its violence. By high school I was no longer a member of the uninitiated, but I can remember a few television shows and movies that enhanced my interest in the game, foremost among them Friday Night Lights, when it came out as a movie in 2004. I was 17 when six of us, varsity members of our suburban Maryland high school football team, squeezed into a Volvo to drive to see the movie.

Somebody was freshly 18 and bought a can of long-cut wintergreen Skoal for everybody to try for the first time. Right around the part where Boobie Miles tells his teammates how black and beautiful he is, a couple of us sprinted into the hallway to spit up our dip and the rest of our stomach contents. We collected ourselves and re-entered the universe of Texas high school football and stoic quarterbacks and abusive football dads and morally-compromised head coaches.

Their lives became our fantasy; we wondered if we could play football like that, at such a high level, and in front of so many people who cared. We never did, but that mesmerizing score, expertly laid down by Texas instrumental post-rock band Explosions in the Sky, still brings me back to that evening at the theater, and to those days when our biggest concern was the scoreboard at the end of Friday night.

friday-night-lights-1.jpg

Billy Bob Thornton as the coach, pre-TV. (Ralph Nelson/Universal Studios)

Little Giants
Andy Benoit, contributing writer

little-giants-poster.jpg

Hollywood can’t make football more entertaining than it already is. The less actual football that’s involved with a football movie, the better the movie. This raises a philosophical question: should a movie like this even be considered a “football movie?” Rudy or Remember the Titans told stories that were about so much more than the sport. Calling them football movies feels a little like calling Titanic a “nautical movie.”

By that standard, a true football movie can only be “good” not “great,” and even getting to “good” is difficult because at this point it becomes in the eye of the beholder. What matters is where you are in life when you see the movie.

I was in second grad when Little Giants came out. I enjoyed that movie almost as much as I’ve enjoyed any movie since. What I liked most were the alternate uniforms. Keep in mind, in October of ’94 the NFL had not fully gotten into allowing teams to wear a third set of pants or jerseys in the same season. Seeing the Giants uniform with a red jersey was awesome. Even more awesome—or to be true to the time, “awesomer”—was seeing the Cowboys uniform with blue pants. Blue pants! And it wasn’t the Cowboys’ boring old plain white jerseys with blue pants; it was their double-star jerseys, which I’m convinced were designed specifically for enrapturing 8-year-olds.

Little Giants
also had the perfect trick for a children’s football movie: cameos. Spoiler alert: Just when it seems that Rick Moranis (one of Hollywood’s great wimpy actors) and his team of outcasts is at the end of their withered, pathetic rope, John Madden’s bus stops by because the coach-turned-broadcaster-turned-mogul is lost. Even better: Madden just happens to have with him Emmitt Smith, Bruce Smith, Tim Brown and Steve Emtman (now forgotten but at the time two years removed from being the second overall pick in the draft). The arrival of those stars inspires Moranis’s players—and thrilled at least one budding NFL fan.

Rudy
Matt Gagne, editor

In what other film does a no-name, no-talent, no-business-being-there excuse for a defensive lineman get serenaded by a slow-clap for showing up late to the final practice of his college career? Then to actually get on the field and play for the Irish? I mean, you’d have to hate the movie if it weren’t based on a true story—and still some people have an aversion to its maudlin overtones. But as a former high school defensive back who made varsity for only one season, I have a soft spot for no-name, no-talent, no-business-being-there little guys who come up big. (Who has two thumbs and earned All-State Honorable Mention as a senior?

This guy! So what if it was in New Hampshire?) I met the real-life Rudy Ruettigerwhen he came to visit my middle school in the mid-1990s, and I was that little annoying kid who wore a Notre Dame jersey to the assembly. Once I got over the fact that the real Rudy looks nothing like Sean Astin, I had my picture taken with him and got his autograph—only one of two I’ve ever asked for in my life. The signed baseball card by Red Sox pitcher Dennis Lamp is rotting in a trash bag somewhere. The index card on which Rudy signed his name is sitting on a bookshelf, framed, in my apartment in the Bronx.

rudy.jpg

Editor Gagne’s greatest wish. (Photofest)

North Dallas Forty
Mark Mravic, editor

Count me as another one who typically finds sports movies tough to swallow. Nothing Hollywood can concoct is as real and visceral as the true-life drama of actual athletic competition. (That’s why the best sports movie you’ll ever see is Hoop Dreams, the brilliant documentary about two Chicago high school basketball players.) The most affecting sports movies are almost always based on true stories: Hoosiers, Raging Bull, Brian’s Song. North Dallas Forty, from former Dallas Cowboys receiver Peter Gent’s semi-autobiographical novel, isn’t as good as those, but it succeeds better than most fictional films in giving us a believable look behind the curtains of an NFL team.

north-dallas-forty-2.jpg

Nick Nolte is slow getting up as a “North Dallas Bull.” (Paramount)

From the opening scene, in which a battered and disheveled Nick Nolte wakes up on a blood-soaked pillow next to a nightstand strewn with empty beer cans and painkiller bottles, drags his scarred and creaking body to the kitchen to knock back a pill and wash it down with a warm beer, pulls a bloody cotton balls out of his nose with a pair of tweezers, then slides into the bathtub and lights up a joint, you knew this wasn’t Knute Rockne: All American. Nolte’s an aging, jaded receiver trying to hang on, Mac Davis is the Don Meredith-like good ol’ boy quarterback, and the great character actor G.D. Spradlin is letter-perfect as the Tom Landryesque coach, right down to the hat.

There’s a venal, smarmy owner; a GM desperate to undermine Nolte (who’s sleeping with his wife); drinking and drugs; fights and foul language; some decent football action; and outrageous ’70s clothes and hairstyles. But what’s best about North Dallas Forty is how it conveys the chasm between the players on the one hand and coaches and management on the other. The movie’s most famous line is delivered by John Matuzsak—poignantly, in that the onetime Raiders wildman would OD on prescription painkillers at age 38—to assistant coach Charles Durning: “Every time I call it a game, you call it a business, and every time I call it a business you call it a game.”

More apt may be the scene in which a clueless chaplain asks God to bestow his blessing on “these brave boys as they venture out” for the championship game, and as he concludes, Matuzsak bellows,“Let’s go kill those c———-!” That’s football for you.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I hate sports movies. Most of them are incredibly sappy trying to be "inspirational." And this one has a love interest? Pass.

But hey, if you like it by all means go see it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wow Prime. That has to be the longest post I've ever seen.

iced

I hate sports movies. Most of them are incredibly sappy trying to be "inspirational." And this one has a love interest? Pass.

But hey, if you like it by all means go see it.

Any Given Sunday was fuckin great...

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I can't wait until Friday. I usually don't go to new movies on opening night but I think I'll make an exception with this one. Anyone else planning on going to see this movie?

I've seen it.

It was pretty good.

siiimmons

UDFA
No major spoilers, but a little bit of the plot below:

I didnt care for it. Trashing an office is a good way to get cut immediately. I dont care how much "passion" is there. I get its a movie and they had to add some drama. Also, to me the whole thing seemed dumbed down. 5/10 would watch only once.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Any Given Sunday was freakin great...

Sorry iced, Any Given Sunday blows. Pacino's overacting + Oliver Stoner's chopped up direction = PU. Provided more unintentional laughs than The Waterboy.

1. North Dallas Forty 2.Horse Feathers - End of list (weak field)