Do the Rams need a dedicated SS and FS?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do the Rams need a dedicate SS and FS?

• Total voters

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This has been discussed in other threads. I thought I would make a poll on it.

When Barron came in (and boy, is it weird seeing people saying good things about that name), some were happy we got another good player. Some thought he was redundant with T.J. McDonald, and that we still need an FS.

So, I put out to the people... do we need an FS and an SS or do you think Fisher's and Williams' D uses safeties interchangeably as some have said?

Edit: Argh. Can a mod fix the spelling error in the title for me, please? Should be dedicated.

Last edited:

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I'm not sure, but the way our safeties are playing at the moment, I'm fine with whatever we're doing now :)

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
dont need designations just need McLeod or whoevers over top to watch the damn coverage and stop biting and getting fooled by the QB

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly, but I think regardless of the designations that Fisher says with the left-right, we do tend to use a FS-SS system. For example, McLeod plays deep more than McDonald than what I've seen, and McDonald plays closer to the LOS from what I've seen. Now, it might be closer to 50-50 than most teams, but it's generally that system anyway. I think we have guys that can do both though. McDonald has been much better in coverage recently and McLeod has really impressed me coming in the box for run support. Then there's Barron who has the ability to do both also in the right system and setting. I think with the way the safeties are playing, what we're doing now is fine. I think we can improve on McLeod as the FS though.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
This has been discussed in other threads. I thought I would make a poll on it.

When Barron came in (and boy, is it weird seeing people saying good things about that name).
:ROFLMAO:

Being we blitz so much and play in the box, I don't see why we need FS's. We have to have really good CB play, though. We've been getting that.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
They will get better as they master GW defense and get more chemistry with each other.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I don't think a ball hawk is necessary. As long as the safety with the deep responsibility doesn't let anyone get behind him it will be ok

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Three things...

First, McLeod is a very interesting player, huh? In the same game he will make highlight reel and bone jarring tackles and later blow a coverage that yields a TD. I'm very conflicted on him. Almost a love/hate thing.

Second, our base D now seems to be nickel. With a sprinkling of dime if we've stopped the running game and/or have a lead. I've read that Dunbar has only had four snaps in the last 2 games COMBINED. We seem to be morphed into hybrid territory since the addition of Barron.

There seems now to be considerable secondary talent for GW to tinker with and these next 5 games could be very interesting, indeed. Hopefully, GW let's our front 4 get back to doing their effective thing. Like in the Bronco game, NOT in the Charger game.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Three things...

First, McLeod is a very interesting player, huh? In the same game he will make highlight reel and bone jarring tackles and later blow a coverage that yields a TD. I'm very conflicted on him. Almost a love/hate thing.

Second, our base D now seems to be nickel. With a sprinkling of dime if we've stopped the running game and/or have a lead. I've read that Dunbar has only had four snaps in the last 2 games COMBINED. We seem to be morphed into hybrid territory since the addition of Barron.

There seems now to be considerable secondary talent for GW to tinker with and these next 5 games could be very interesting, indeed. Hopefully, GW let's our front 4 get back to doing their effective thing. Like in the Bronco game, NOT in the Charger game.

AGree with all of that.

I love how the base D has been. McDonald and Barron are a great tandem and works better than having Dunbar in. Dunbar was a small LB anyway, only being 6'0 220lbs.

As for McLeod, you have the same feelings i do. I will go into a game wishing we had something better and then he will make some awesome plays and I will start thinking maybe I'm wrong, but then he will make some very very bad plays.

I would love to upgrade McLeod, I have always felt he is a good backup, but shouldnt be a starter.

Think how great having a truly good FS would be for our defense. Especially with JJ getting burned for huge td's from time to time.

Unfortunately I don't think Fisher thinks its a big need. I doubt he addresses the position and continues to go with McLeod.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Speaking of 'Safeties', I haven't heard, is Joyner going to be back-in this week!?!

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I believe we have a dedicated left/right because we don't have a true fs, the same way we were left/right outside lbs at one point. McCleod gets exposed at times and that needs to be addressed.

RamPower44

UDFA
Name
Marco
Gaines is playing good and will get better. Jenkins has flashes of greatness he needs to be consistent.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I like what we have. My bigger concern is getting the LB's all decent and maybe better depth at the DT spot. JL and Ogletree are "good .. .but I would really like to see JL moved to OLB and a stud run thumping MLB brought in. Brockers and Donald are great dou and young .. but behind them ... nto much youth and not much size.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still prefer the dedicated FS and SS. I get where Fisher is coming from with having two S's that can play both run and pass but it's so much harder to find players that can do that. Right now, we don't have a player that I'd say is really good at playing the pass. TJMcD is okay with that pass but he can get exposed if he's asked to do too much of it. Joyner, I think could be a good FS that helps a lot in the passing game but they've shown they aren't going to have him play there much. It's pretty frustrating, IMO.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think we do the left/right thing because we have no true FS. Could you imagine a McDonald/Atogwe pairing? It's just not as bad a need as QB or OL so it doesn't get addressed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think we've heard Fisher call it a left/right thing. So, apparently that's what he wants and that's how I voted.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think we do the left/right thing because we have no true FS. Could you imagine a McDonald/Atogwe pairing? It's just not as bad a need as QB or OL so it doesn't get addressed.
I'm not sure the italicized bit is the case. I think we do the left/right thing because that's what we do (and Spags did it before Fisher). Thus we don't place priority on getting a true SS and a true FS.