Did You Know The Economy is Poppin'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I had no idea Obama had turned things around so much. I'm trying to hire 13 people within the next week. I've been looking for 4 days and have had ONE applicant. I'm amazed at how hard it is to get someone wantin to work. 13 people raining $10-$15 an hour to start for small town missouri is pretty damn good. It's just amazing to me.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
what i've been hearing from our new hires at my job is that there are NO JOBS out there. not sure if its just certain areas of the country or what. i'm seeing housing, restaurants being built up. restaurant chains dont expand if they feel they cant turn a profit at the location they're building on. for a couple of years after 2008, nothing was being built. hard to say. good luck.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It always depends on the area.

But if you're having issues finding applicants, maybe there's a reason for that. Are the hours poor or the restrictions too high? Do you advertise on job websites that you have openings? Help wanted, etc. There has to be some reason you're not getting applicants.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
9-6 decent starting pay for the area, good benefits. Fast growing company so always room to advance. We are a town of only about 6-7000 people. Not a whole lot of folks on Monster. We advertise thru FB and word of mouth. Normally we don't have the issue. We atleast get shitty candidates apply.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Not asking people to pass a drug test or anything tough like that are you?

PhxRam

We have been hiring like crazy at UPS. I see new drivers faces daily.

Greg Stone

Rookie
I live in a rural area and while unemployment is sharply down, it's still at over 8%. We've mostly recovered from the melt-down at the end of '07, but the fact is that three decades of frenzied shipping jobs overseas and converting full-time jobs with benefits to part-time jobs with none has been devastating to middle and lower class households. Jobs have been flowing back to the US in the last few years but it may be two more decades before we have what I would consider a healthy economy.

bluecoconuts

Legend
9-6 decent starting pay for the area, good benefits. Fast growing company so always room to advance. We are a town of only about 6-7000 people. Not a whole lot of folks on Monster. We advertise thru FB and word of mouth. Normally we don't have the issue. We atleast get crappy candidates apply.

Try putting it on some of the sites, snagajob or monster or something, I don't know what they're called. It may help with better candidates as well.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
[/QUOTE="PhxRam, post: 369490, member: 1"]We have been hiring like crazy at UPS. I see new drivers faces daily.[/QUOTE]

Took me 3 years to become a driver I was truly om a 5 year wait but I was a total Badass loader/sorter/double shifter - doing the same. Life then went on as I went into mgt running the sort aisle. Ahhh those were the days.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We have all kinds of problems finding employees - not keeping them - but finding them in the first place. I have to suspect that it is a wee bit too easy not to work these days. We actually had one "applicant" the other day say he was glad we had already filled the position because he was doing better than the $11/hr we were offering to start but he had already put us down as an employment search reference. Yes - BEFORE he came in to apply.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The other issue is a lot of people have just stopped looking. It was so bad for so long, a lot of people gave up. That's actually one of the biggest reasons the "unemployment" numbers are so low, they aren't counted as unemployed.