Did Teddy tank his pro day?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
So apparently Teddy Bridgewater can collect 5 million dollars if he falls out of the top 10 in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...gewater-can-collect-if-he-falls-out-of-top-10

Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater purchased insurance that would pay him $5 million if he falls out of the top 10 and the fall can be proved to have been caused by injury or illness.

Bridgewater purchased a $5 million loss-of-value insurance policy after the 2013 season, ESPN.com reported. That came on top of his $10 million total disability injury policy. Disability insurance has become common among top prospects, but ESPN.com reported that, "It is believed that no player who has bought loss-of-value insurance for the NFL draft has actually collected."

Bridgewater seems increasingly likely to go outside the top 10, but there have been no injury or illness concerns that have been made public. Instead, Bridgewater critics point to his relatively mediocre pro-day workout as a reason he is dropping on draft boards.

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock recently explained his reasoning for dropping Bridgewater: "I saw about four of his tapes prior to the combine, and I really liked him. I thought he had a chance to be a franchise quarterback from what I saw on the tape. ... Except you've got to see the quarterbacks throw the ball live. I've never seen a top-level quarterback in the last 10 years have a bad pro day, until Teddy Bridgewater. He had no accuracy, the ball came out funny, the arm strength wasn't there, and it made me question everything I saw on tape because this was live. I went back and watched a bunch more tape and compared him to the rest of the guys in the draft. And like it or not, I've come to a conclusion -- if I was a GM in the NFL, I would not take him in the first round of the draft."

But it's not just his bad pro-day workout. In mid-January -- more than three months ago and about three weeks after Louisville's season ended -- NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah tweeted that "I know several teams that don't view him as a 1st-round player."

In his most recent mock draft, Jeremiah has Bridgewater going 26th to the Cleveland Browns. Fellow analysts Bucky Brooks and Charles Davis, in their most recent mocks, also have Bridgewater going 26th, while NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger doesn't have Bridgewater going in the first round.

It's to the point now that NFL Network analyst Curtis Conway says that if Bridgewater falls into the second round, "He will definitely be the best bargain in this draft."

It was reported that the loss-of-value policy cost less than $20,000. Again, though, the only way for Bridgewater to collect is to prove illness or injury caused the loss of value.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter@MikeHuguenin.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only thing is that last line.

"Again, though, the only way for Bridgewater to collect is to prove illness or injury caused the loss of value."

I don't recall him claiming injury or illness. We shall see.

The only thing is that last line.

"Again, though, the only way for Bridgewater to collect is to prove illness or injury caused the loss of value."

I don't recall him claiming injury or illness. We shall see.

It's surely going to be tough to prove that even if he was injured, couldn't they just argue he sucks?

Alan

Legend
I think Teddy's lawyer would just say that they either thought he was good enough or they sold him a fraudulent policy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Man, it wasn't too long ago that I thought this guy was going #1 hands down. Shocking turn of events is all I can say. I still think he has the talent and will be a STEAL if he does fall out of the 1st round. I hope he's not there at pick 12 of the 2nd round because that will have me wanting the Rams to take him there when we have other holes to fill that are more needy.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Im wondering if he has no intentions of playing pro football? I've read that he does not have an agent, now with this insurance policy claim, it makes it almost plausible that he is looking to cash in on his college success, without having to play the game. Odd choice, but it would be crazy smart to do. So would knowing that if you fall in the draft, your chances of going to a better team increase, the only problem is your losing money by falling... but in this case, if the insurance pays out... again, that would be pretty clever.
I doubt its anything that interesting though...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im wondering if he has no intentions of playing pro football? I've read that he does not have an agent, now with this insurance policy claim, it makes it almost plausible that he is looking to cash in on his college success, without having to play the game. Odd choice, but it would be crazy smart to do. So would knowing that if you fall in the draft, your chances of going to a better team increase, the only problem is your losing money by falling... but in this case, if the insurance pays out... again, that would be pretty clever.
I doubt its anything that interesting though...

Yea, but it's insurance fraud.....lol. There's nothing smart about it.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Lol oh I know it's fraud... it's only smart if he was able to get away with it. Otherwise it's laughably stupid. Either way it's fun to speculate.

lockdnram21

Legend
Man, it wasn't too long ago that I thought this guy was going #1 hands down. Shocking turn of events is all I can say. I still think he has the talent and will be a STEAL if he does fall out of the 1st round. I hope he's not there at pick 12 of the 2nd round because that will have me wanting the Rams to take him there when we have other holes to fill that are more needy.

if he fell that far no way rams dont draft him.

iced

the crazy stuff and spins that people put on things to make a guy fall right before the draft....

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Pretty brazen stuff to accuse a guy of committing insurance fraud because he had a bad pro day.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"Pro day? What?...i missed the hookers"
th

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. The #5 pick in the draft got $18.6 million. The #20 pick in the draft got $8.3 million. That's a difference of over $10 million.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I certainly don't think that he tanked.