Did Fisher forget about the DL this past week?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks like the Rams Org. were very comfortable with the DL. The biggest surprise for me was the very small amount of help brought in for the DL over the last five days. I was expecting a new NT so there would be a run stuffer behind Michael Brockers. They did sign an UDFA DE Morgan Fox.

Rams have 12 DL's signed as of now. Eight of them are DE like leaving only 4 interior like DL's (Donald/Brockers/Tricant-Pasat & Worthington). Same interior players as we had last season with one exception. The fact is we did not replace Nick Fairley who was able to play both NT & DT well last season.

The only new noteworthy DL addition in 2016 was DE Quinton Coples a well known college edge rusher who once in the NFL ended up playing OSLBer in 34 defenses. Thus my interest is up as to what Gregg Williams has up his sleeve & what we will see in Training Camp & Pre season games with our only two reserve interior DL's 2015 UDFA Louis Tricant-Pasat & the soon to be 29 yr old Doug Worthington.

Doug saw his first Ram regular season action real late last season for 2 games. Doug was injured in his 2nd Ram game & placed on the IR. Doug was drafted by the Steelers in 2010 as a DE in the 7th round & cut. Since 2010 he has been on Steelers/Buccaneers/Redskins/Chargers & now Rams. Doug has rode practice squads for most all that time but was active with the Reskins in 2012 for six games.

Gregg Williams does have some DE's who have log'd in a large amount of playing time in DT Aaron Donald post before his arrival in 2014 & in certain passing situations relieved Brockers i.e. Eugene Sims/William Hayes/Ethan Westbrooks. I do suspect we will see GW use Quinn/Donald in more tackle/end and end/tackle twists & keep Quinn's reps down early in the season to place time between that back surgery. I see DE Coples being used in early downs @ RDE.

Louis Tricant-Pasat arrive in summer as a 6-292 small UDFA DT. I wonder if he will be a much thicker stronger a yr later? LTP must have shown something last season even though he never saw the field nor was active for any of the 16 games. I wondering if GW thinks that LTP can back up Brockers??? I do know this that LTP was known for working well in college with the more talented DL'er, running twists & occupying blocks to free up a Donald like DL'er. Also show'd he had good power for a dinky DT able to hold his ground against one-man blocks. The best things coaches said about LTP was his outstanding skill to work inside the construct of a defensive scheme like Williams. It does make some sense here does it not? :bueller:

Last edited:

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I think they are really big on LTP. I remember them pumping him up and they gave him a pretty nice contract for a UDFA. I think in a preseason game, Les was in the booth and was talking about his frequent ability to make TFLs and compared it to Gerald McCoy.

Not to mention, Hayes can kick in inside when necessary. They have also tried Westbrook inside. I like West at end better, but maybe they think he can work effectively at both spots.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
At 6'6" and 290, Quinton Coples has the size to play DT. Given William's penchant for playing DE all along the DL, I expect to see Coples get some time at DT. Brockers is also 6'6", and Coples next to him might see some balls batted down. I'm guessing they are waiting for camp cuts. There should be one or two vets cut due to contracts that might be worth picking up for rotations purposes.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm more worried about our safety position than D-line. I think we'll be ok with LTP as mentioned along with Coples being able to play across the whole line. I'm not too high on Bryant, Alexander or Davis as our starting coverage safety and would rather Joyner stayed as our nickel back.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Looks like the Rams Org. were very comfortable with the DL. The biggest surprise for me was the very small amount of help brought in for the DL over the last five days. I was expecting a new NT so there would be a run stuffer behind Michael Brockers. They did sign an UDFA DE Morgan Fox.

Rams have 12 DL's signed as of now. Eight of them are DE like leaving only 4 interior like DL's (Donald/Brockers/Tricant-Pasat & Worthington). Same interior players as we had last season with one exception. The fact is we did not replace Nick Fairley who was able to play both NT & DT well last season.

The only new noteworthy DL addition in 2016 was DE Quinton Coples a well known college edge rusher who once in the NFL ended up playing OSLBer in 34 defenses. Thus my interest is up as to what Gregg Williams has up his sleeve & what we will see in Training Camp & Pre season games with our only two reserve interior DL's 2015 UDFA Louis Tricant-Pasat & the soon to be 29 yr old Doug Worthington.

Doug saw his first Ram regular season action real late last season for 2 games. Doug was injured in his 2nd Ram game & placed on the IR. Doug was drafted by the Steelers in 2010 as a DE in the 7th round & cut. Since 2010 he has been on Steelers/Buccaneers/Redskins/Chargers & now Rams. Doug has rode practice squads for most all that time but was active with the Reskins in 2012 for six games.

Gregg Williams does have some DE's who have log'd in a large amount of playing time in DT Aaron Donald post before his arrival in 2014 & in certain passing situations relieved Brockers i.e. Eugene Sims/William Hayes/Ethan Westbrooks. I do suspect we will see GW use Quinn/Donald in more tackle/end and end/tackle twists & keep Quinn's reps down early in the season to place time between that back surgery. I see DE Coples being used in early downs @ RDE.

Louis Tricant-Pasat arrive in summer as a 6-292 small UDFA DT. I wonder if he will be a much thicker stronger a yr later? LTP must have shown something last season even though he never saw the field nor was active for any of the 16 games. I wondering if GW thinks that LTP can back up Brockers??? I do know this that LTP was known for working well in college with the more talented DL'er, running twists & occupying blocks to free up a Donald like DL'er. Also show'd he had good power for a dinky DT able to hold his ground against one-man blocks. The best things coaches said about LTP was his outstanding skill to work inside the construct of a defensive scheme like Williams. It does make some sense here does it not? :bueller:

Two things, Bonifay.

First, S&F were forced to flood the TE and WR position groups with their limited late round pick options. The new QB deserved that much. Mixed reviews on Hemingway and Forrest, so far. But nearly unanimous raves about Higbee, Cooper, and Thomas. I'm really happy about those three, man.

Second, I have a high degree of confidence in GW's ability to look after his D. He's certainly earned that much. Might be a camp cut that they're targeting, maybe two. I'm just not worried, in any case.

They spent their draft capital where it was needed most.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Louis Tricant-Pasat arrive in summer as a 6-292 small UDFA DT. I wonder if he will be a much thicker stronger a yr later? LTP must have shown something last season even though he never saw the field nor was active for any of the 16 games. I wondering if GW thinks that LTP can back up Brockers??? I do know this that LTP was known for working well in college with the more talented DL'er, running twists & occupying blocks to free up a Donald like DL'er. Also show'd he had good power for a dinky DT able to hold his ground against one-man blocks. The best things coaches said about LTP was his outstanding skill to work inside the construct of a defensive scheme like Williams. It does make some sense here does it not?
I, for one, think he does! And I find him very intriguing! I think he'll do very well! (y):yess::snicker::banana::shades:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Snead did allude to the fact they were not planning all offense and there were instances where a defensive player went off the board right before they picked. I am guessing Hassan Ridgeway was a guy they would have taken at 117, but the Colts grabbed him right before that pick, so they went with highest rated WR in Cooper. Ridgeway looks like a Brockers clone, with a motor that just does not always run. I think he would have been a great pick as insurance for Brockers and I am sure these guys would have gotten that motor humming.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Coples, Brockers, Donald....for the beef.

Westbrooks, Hayes, and Sims can be the nickle packages rush men...

@BonifayRam we're all good baby....You're gonna love Coples....

To all the LTP lovers...he's a nice player...not as productive as....was it Worthington? The guy that played a bunch at the end of the season...but seemed small. Played very big the last 3 or 4 weeks....Think he had a 70's number...

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Personally I always thought we were good on Dline and didnt really understand ppl thinking we needed to draft one. Ideally Donald will be on the field most of the time and when hes not westbrook, hayes, and sims (i think?) have all logged minutes inside, and im sure coples can too. As for Brockers backup, again the DEs can fill in for him on passing downs where its no longer a typical NT position. The only snaps they really need to worry about replacing are when Brockers isnt in on non passing downs and its more of a true NT. I think we are set on the dline as long as there are no injuries (knock on wood)

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
some may forget that Robert Quinn is healthy as well. the Rams had bigger needs than DL, that being said, had a QB been playing well for the Rams, this was a good draft to strengthen depth on the D, alas it wasnt so, therefore 2 TE's and WR's were chosen to help with the O, which by the way, is basically anemic.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There will be roster cuts down the road, and can get veteran depth there
No worries, Sack City is back!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Two things, Bonifay.
First, S&F were forced to flood the TE and WR position groups with their limited late round pick options. The new QB deserved that much. Mixed reviews on Hemingway and Forrest, so far. But nearly unanimous raves about Higbee, Cooper, and Thomas. I'm really happy about those three, man.
Second, I have a high degree of confidence in GW's ability to look after his D. He's certainly earned that much. Might be a camp cut that they're targeting, maybe two. I'm just not worried, in any case.
They spent their draft capital where it was needed most.
I not complaining nor am I sad here on where Snead invested in this 2016 draft. However this is the one area & biggest concern...Reserve Nose Tackle. IMO even though we are in the initial stage here with the 2016 draft & UDFA class I think Snead may have had his best overall draft ever.:bow:
Coples, Brockers, Donald....for the beef.
Westbrooks, Hayes, and Sims can be the nickle packages rush men...
@BonifayRam we're all good baby....You're gonna love Coples....
To all the LTP lovers...he's a nice player...not as productive as....was it Worthington? The guy that played a bunch at the end of the season...but seemed small. Played very big the last 3 or 4 weeks....Think he had a 70's number...
IMO both DE's Eugene Sims & William Hayes perform just as good inside maybe better.... than on the outside. I know Sims best play comes off the bench & in the DT position. Hayes stopping the run ....might be one of the best in the NFC. Westbrook needs to see the DE post this season! Better to move both Sims & Hayes inside & let Ethan & Longacre play outside more. Worthington is a waste of a roster spot.

I am not completely there with you on the love for Quinton Coples. However I am somewhat joyful over this signing. However not for the same reasons as you have. I see this Jets ex stand-up 3-4 outside linebacker much more of a tag team dual with the surgically repaired back of Rob Quinn @ Right DE.

I wonder if the NC college player who announce to the entire team ""He got up in front of the team and basically said "I'm not playing for the team, I'm playing for myself, I ain't getting hurt for nobody."is the same player he is today as a Ram? Never the less things have not gone well & it sure doesn't reflect well on his character, taking a "me" approach & abandoning his team amid severe adversity. If you recall Mike Mayock during the 2012 draft he would not have drafted QC in the first or second day of the draft.

Jets played him on the DL as a 3-4 DE & the results were worse than when he played as a OLB'er. QC came into the NFL & started @ a 34 DE no good results then next seasons went to OSLB'er no good results. Fact is the Jets tried Coples all over the place in their defense much all of it failure. Jets got rid of him fast. Next stop the Dolphins needed a DE in the worse way last season after the Cameron Wake injury but QC did not even make one tackle after being signed by the Phins & they flushed QC fast! OK next stop was the Panthers who had a boat load of DT but no DE's physical & a work out & the Panthers did what the jets & Phins did.

In conclusion :Fisher's salvage department will make attempts to turn around his fast trending downward NFL career. QC came into the NFL & started @ a 34 DE, 34 OSLB'er & 43 DE with the Phins....non of it worked, now its Fisher turn. Two things I am looking at: #1-Is related to his big junior season where QC played at DT in the Tar Heels' 4-3 front. #2- Rob Quinn & QC do have a outstanding history playing together.

P.S. One more thing & we will soon find out here in TC QC who is only 25 yrs old may have just grown out of DE size & more into a DT. We might see a very large tall 6-6 over 300 PLUS pound QC in 2016.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher does seem to have taken care of "D" Business, for the most part, through UDFA's and FA's, Like Whitner, so far!!(y):snicker::shades::banana::cheers:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wothington is a waste of a roster spot.
damn, you make me laugh...LOL...Keep it real Boni...love it! And I think it was Longacre....and he played ok....

I feel you on leaving Westbrooks at DE....Seems as if they kept him at DT to get stronger, use his hands better, and maybe give a rest to Brockers/Donald.

Quinton Coples....I hadn't followed him much since he left college...I knew he had to be really young as I think he came into the league at 20 & played with Quinn. I did watch a few games and saw he was standing up in a 3-4 and looked out of place. I didn't even like his pass rush from out there. I always believed him to be an excellent run defender and with his power & speed should become a great pass rusher...You bring up some excellent points regarding his character...Almost reminds me of Clowney..and I hated the way that guy was leaving S. Carolina. But Fisher has a way with motivating guys....but you bring up excellent points. If cash is his only motivator, his contract should make this the best QC we've seen since his Jr. year in college....
I had to look up some of your claims....
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...-quinton-coples-stop-jets-taking-de-16th-pick
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012qcoples.php
Coples is a solid run defender who holds his ground and can disrupt running plays that go the perimeter on his side. If Coples lands with a good coach who keeps him motivated and focused, he could be a Pro Bowl defensive end.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/quinton-coples?id=2532818

Which Coples will we get? I'm expecting a motivated, $$$ hungry young man that will only be used in a rotation and will be able to give maximum effort while on the field...I've always loved measurables, and his are off the charts....

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm very excited about Quinton Coples. He's an example of someone who was misused when he was drafted and I think he has the potential to be an upgrade over Chris Long.

@LACHAMP46 Have you heard anything about Quinn's back? If Quinn, Brockers, Donald and Coples/Hayes are all firing on all cylinders... Other than the Bills DL, I dunno if there's a better DL in the NFL. But a lot of that will rest on Quinn's back and Coples getting off to a fast start (which I think he will).

I know he's gonna have to get that...I don't remember the exact name of the move... when the DE is bending and he raises his inside arm up to defeat the OL's "choke" that Quinn got held with every play. I don't think it's called a "rip", but it may be. This headache won't let me hardly remember my name, so it could be called the macarena for all I know right now...LOL.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand why they didn't (too many other needs; too few draft picks) I was really hoping for a backup for Brockers. Not just because of injury risks, but because Brockers is a free agent after 2016. What if he gets offered an insane contract by another team, which the Rams can either match or beat or lose him? What if it's so big that it makes it difficult to resign Donald? I wanted an option for somebody who after a year's experience might be able to be a capable fill in, rather than the Rams basically have to spend their 2nd next year on a replacement, regardless of whether that's the best value.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Mackeyser

Just he's resting and not participating in camp. Probably just doing yoga....
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6557/robert-quinn

Rams RE Robert Quinn (back surgery) is without a timetable for a return, and could miss the beginning of the offseason program.
Quinn is still less than a month removed from going under the knife, and the Rams have zero reason to rush their superstar pass rusher. Even if Quinn missed the entire offseason program, he should be ready for training camp. Jan 4 - 3:27 PM
Source: Nick Wagoner on Twitt

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quinn has certainly been on camera at the Rams camp facility a lot. There was a video of him being interviewed right before the draft it's still on the team site and I think he talks about his health.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm more worried about our safety position than D-line. I think we'll be ok with LTP as mentioned along with Coples being able to play across the whole line. I'm not too high on Bryant, Alexander or Davis as our starting coverage safety and would rather Joyner stayed as our nickel back.
Worry all you want.The Rams are stacked in DB field.This guys are all good special team players as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
damn, you make me laugh...LOL...Keep it real Boni...love it! And I think it was Longacre....and he played ok....

I feel you on leaving Westbrooks at DE....Seems as if they kept him at DT to get stronger, use his hands better, and maybe give a rest to Brockers/Donald.

Quinton Coples....I hadn't followed him much since he left college...I knew he had to be really young as I think he came into the league at 20 & played with Quinn. I did watch a few games and saw he was standing up in a 3-4 and looked out of place. I didn't even like his pass rush from out there. I always believed him to be an excellent run defender and with his power & speed should become a great pass rusher...You bring up some excellent points regarding his character...Almost reminds me of Clowney..and I hated the way that guy was leaving S. Carolina. But Fisher has a way with motivating guys....but you bring up excellent points. If cash is his only motivator, his contract should make this the best QC we've seen since his Jr. year in college....
I had to look up some of your claims....
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...-quinton-coples-stop-jets-taking-de-16th-pick
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012qcoples.php

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/quinton-coples?id=2532818

Which Coples will we get? I'm expecting a motivated, $$$ hungry young man that will only be used in a rotation and will be able to give maximum effort while on the field...I've always loved measurables, and his are off the charts....
Worthington played well against Tampa Bay.
//I think Westbrooke is bigger than what the roster says.