Defensive End could be in Rams draft plans ESPN Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMBUSH

Starter
I say without a doubt we go best player available at 10 or trade down for more picks. In that case I say without a doubt go best player available. And dont listen to all the couch coach quarterbacks yelling for offensive linemen early and often. B. P. A. Is a winning formula in my opinion.

Alan

Legend
psxpaul seeing it like it is:
To say that they should completely stand pat on that side of the ball is a bit much, IMO.
Truer words were never spoken. Problem is, from the point of view of your post, we have taken steps to fix those problems. For some time now I've been lamenting our inaction at several key positions and much to my surprise, we've addressed three of the four areas I've been concerned with.

LB: Getting a replacement for Dunbar, who've I've been down on since he was busted for PEDS, has gone a long way in eliminating that issue. If Ayers performs as advertised of course.

DT: I've been a Langford basher for the last two years and apparently the Rams have finally seen the same light I've been seeing and have replaced him with Fairley. Potentially a huge upgrade. Especially considering the fact that while I understand Brocker's role in our D and realize it's not designed to garner eye popping stats, I'm not a huge fan of his play. For someone whose main job is to eat up blockers and stop the run, how's that been going?

CB: Long time RODites know that I've been up on JJ's potential but down on his performance almost from the beginning of his time as a Ram. Snisher has addressed the issue (less than stellar CB play and not JJ in particular) by using a 2nd round pick to draft Joyner and a later pick to draft Gaines. I'm very happy (mainly becuase of Gaines) with the results so far and I see continued improvement on that front in the future as all our young CBs gain more experience.

FS: Crickets. Although they have addressed the S position with the acquisition of Barron. We now have a great SS rotation/depth. I still have zero faith in McLeod but I hope I'm wrong about him.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams were 16th in points per game allowed, at 22.1ppg.
Which included how many pick 6, fumble 6 courtesy of their "QB"?
I think they ranked much higher in offensive points allowed

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
It should be, but not if you are a fan mistakenly looking for 5 potential All-Pros on the OLine.

In the end, if the Rams went the DLine route, the only players possibly worthy of the #10 selection who "might" be on the board and fit would Alvin Dupree and DT/NT Danny Shelton, IMO.

If by some reason we take Dupree, I am totally good w/ dat... Westbrook as our 4th DE and back up DT is good too...Luxury

Another thing we need to be aware of for next season is will Fairly be view as more important resign over Long assuming we went Dupree in Rd1...Transfer Long salary to a signing bonus are just cut him?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm sure plenty of heads will explode if the Rams go any kind of D with the 1st pick, especially D Line. I'd be mildly shocked considering the current state of the Ram's OL, being the most important unit of any team is the OL. I understand the BPA and the long history of teams passing on the proven strategy in the name of NEED and paying for it down the road but without any FA moves on the OL front before this draft, the Rams will have painted themselves into a corner. It's nice to have a dominant DL but Legatron better not miss ANY FGs if we don't fix this OL so we can sometimes win 6-3.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The real gamble Memphis (of course in my opinion) is NOT resolving this open oozing wound called the Ram OL unit. You can draft BPA's & field an unbelievable great amount of talent on all other units besides the OL & the Rams will still continue to loose game after game after game....all leading & concluding to another of well over a decade of non winning seasons.No I have never demanded Fisher field FIVE HOF'ers as you have eluded too & posted previous on. However I have posted many times that Nutten's & McCollums,Tuckers Saffold's would do just fine.

This 2015 NFL draft does contain a fair amount of "off the shelf ready" OL prospects. If the Rams want them they will have to get them early not wait as you have suggested till the 3rd & 4th or later rounds.
This OL,..... due to neglect over the the last 3 drafts ( a Fisher self inflicted wound:admin:) is in great need of a few good seasoned OL'ers to insure this seasons fielded OL can be proficient to maintain a decent working offense along with talented youthful rookies to blend in to fully develop. .

My point remains.

NO ONE. NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON
is saying that the Rams shouldn't address the Offensive Line. NOT ONE. However, anyone suggesting the potential of not using their 1st round or even 2nd round pick(s) on the OLine (and/or anointing them as rookie starters at that) seem to be typecast with that strawman argument.

Potential signees in Blalock and Barksdale would be fine alternatives until a rookie or another younger player develops. But, you disagree because they are not who you want.

Also, other drafts featured so-called "off the shelf ready" OL prospects, too. Some of them considered even more "off the shelf ready" than the guys in this draft class. Some panned out. Some did not. Remember Chance Warmack? He was said to perhaps be the most pro ready interior lineman to come out in years and he didn't start playing well until the last half of his 2nd NFL season. And this while being outplayed by 3rd rounder Larry Warford (in that weaker OLine draft class). You just don't know with ROOKIES, because they don't all hit the ground running like we might want or need them to if the team is stupid enough to go into the draft without veteran alternatives.

If an OLineman is the BPA on the Rams draft board, they would be wrong to pass on him. But, they would be just as wrong to ignore their draft board and reach for a need.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, so many focus on round one, but with the exception of Saffold and Greco (who are both NFL starters), last I checked, this team hasn't even addressed the Oline in the 2nd and 3rd round in about 20 years. What's wrong with starting to address the position in the 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th round in a deep draft class and NOT banking on these rookies to start immediately if they can pick up some vet alternatives? Absolutely nothing except that doesn't appear to be what you want the team to do.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Owamagbe Odighizuwa and Preston Smith are elite players....and could easily could replace Long

he is right about Fishers long history of taking de's early

While I like both players, I don't think either is top 10 material. I would prefer the Rams move down a bit if they want to grab one of them. Of the two I like Odighizuwa better.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Afternoon Rams43,
If they do go your way & go BPA lets say its a DE like this article say then use the 2nd pick on a QB then that leaves Fisher just 3 third day selections (late 4th rd pick & two very late 6th & 7th picks) & one 3rd rd pick to try to bring talent into a OL that is seriously lacking that element. That's one serious bit of work to do to get that done...near impossible.

Depending on 2 FA's like a very average Barksdale & an aged/worn Blalock to improve the OL:eek: without using your two top selections is one very big gamble.:whistle:

You're painting the scenario in the most difficult possible light, Bonifay.

Remember, we can and probably will sign 2 FA's for our OL. This would address 2 of the 3 current holes immediately.

Assuming the BPA is taken at #10 (almost always considered smart strategy), we would still have picks in rounds 2-4 for a QB that they like (probably in the 3rd) and our remaining needed OG, C, or ROT. That even leaves a premium pick left for OL depth or simply BPA.

If a trade down out of #10 occurs, we have still another extra premium pick available which makes our "fix" even more easily accomplished.

S/F need to make shrewd choices, of course, but this OL fix is well within their grasp, if you ask me.

Hell, I'll go so far as to say that if they can't pull this off in this offseason that they should consider another line of work. Lol.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

Remember, we can and probably will sign 2 FA's for our OL. This would address 2 of the 3 current holes immediately.

Assuming the BPA is taken at #10 (almost always considered smart strategy), we would still have picks in rounds 2-4 for a QB that they like (probably in the 3rd) and our remaining needed OG, C, or ROT. That even leaves a premium pick left for OL depth or simply BPA.

yes but if bpa is best strategy what if qb and ol are not bpa in rounds 2 -4 then no qb in training and no ol fix

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I always prefer the BPA approach. Unfortunately we are so insanely boxed into filling the oline via draft... it's sickening.

Things may change in the next week, if we sign a couple of guys... But even then, we are ridiculously thin on the line.

Stop the insanity! The oline needs to be dealt with one of these years.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

If a trade down out of #10 occurs, we have still another extra premium pick available which makes our "fix" even more easily accomplished.

S/F need to make shrewd choices, of course, but this OL fix is well within their grasp, if you ask me.

Hell, I'll go so far as to say that if they can't pull this off in this offseason that they should consider another line of work. Lol.

I understand I know I am being difficult here on this point. I fully understand where you are coming from here. If what I have painted is in dark & very dim in light as you say then its because that's what I have seen & learned for three losing seasons with Fisher's Ram teams involving his mostly NON effective offensive lines.

On your free agent remarks....your suggested proposal does not place many opportunities here for this OL to add young healthy talent. If we just use the three top free agent names that are being drummed up in our great forum.....mostly what many are suggesting is a free agent fix with either a very average ORT in Barksdale (I am being kind here) or a 31 yr old OLG who was plagued with a sore bad back & suffered a let down in his performance naturally all of last season with the Falcons plus come @ a high cap hit & I would also add looks to be primed & ready for decline event. Then OLG/OC Stefon Wisnienski who is involved in a rehabbing event from shoulder surgery just like our best Ram OL'er Rodger Saffold. Hey have we not went down this road before with bad results????

Sure they will fill the holes Rams43 but that sure looks like a big OL band-aid situation & does nothing to insert young talented healthy OL'ers none of those three above fit that need! I would seriously argue that the Rams do not need more of the above!

Reference your mentioning the BPA....I think the BMA (best move available) would be the trade down route offers would be my first choice of preference as posted many times previously to insure that Snead has ammo to work with on the second day where the many of the better valued OL'ers will be located. This is critical IMO.

Back to your purposed remedy Fisher might get one premium pick to try & insert some young talent into the OL.....one chance? If I looking from past 3 yrs of this top Org Ram's duo (Fisher/Snead) past drafts they do not have a good record here with OL'ers period & even if they get lucky with one OL'er ...he sure would be in hot demand early with Fishers Ram OL's injury history. Its in my nature to fix & resolve major problem areas I just can not help it. Its what I get for living in RamsRealVille.

In truth I have very little faith that Fisher has shown me any capability of making the right decisions when it comes to drafting OL'ers on the second day in the draft. In addition I am really worried that Bou has NO desire to groom good youthful starting OL'ers & there is zero evidence to say otherwise yet....if I am wrong please point it out with the evidence? I think Bou's hobby is & he loves his well seasoned OL refurbishing projects much better that grooming youth but one could also say to me that Fisher has yet to provide him with much youthful talent to groom.

My only real hope is Snead. I do feel he has sense enough & can power through with a trade down of that first top ten selection. Thus he gets some extra selections (ammo) on day two to where he can help feed off Fishers constant demands for the luxury defensive prospects. Placing Snead with additional chances (not just one) in-order to land several young talents in here on this OL. :)

Last edited:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Until I read that Fisher's considering drafting a D end at 10 I was thinking the Rams would trade back for extra pick or 2. Now I'm wondering what the hell's he thinking! O line starters and depth are where the team's needs are! They screw this draft up and I give up on Snisher! Damn!!!!!!!

Memphis Ram

Legend
In the end, Jeff Fisher knows that he has to upgrade the OLine. They tried to trade back into the first round last year for Martin and targeted the OSU lineman Mewhort last year, but he came off the board earlier than they expected.

Even though the organization has yet to draft an OLineman on the 2nd day in the draft during Fisher's tenure here, this year they'll have better options due to the depth of the draft class.

And, I doubt anyone has a clue as to what Boudreau prefers, but he has worked with and developed young OLinemen such as Incognito, Blalock, Dahl, Baker, Barksdale. And now he has Robinson and whomever else the team brings in. And if they re-sign Barksdale, then chances are they'll have 3-4 young OLinemen in the starting lineup in 2015.

In the end, I believe that there may even be too much focus on the OLine by some. Sure an upgrade is needed. But, Fisher's teams had some pretty good OLines for years in Tennessee and those teams rarely had top 10 rated offenses. In this game, the key there and will probably always be the QB and the Offensive Coordinator.

IMO, if the 2014 Rams could trade their OLine with most of the teams that had top rated offenses in this league, we'd still be talking about the need to be making upgrades to the OLine while ignoring the elephant(s) in the room.

BTW, over they years, I've visited quite a few NFL fan message boards and read loads of NFL articles to do my mock drafts. And the one common thing every year is that everyone (fans and actual NFL teams) seem to want to trade down and acquire more picks.

Last edited:

ausmurp

Starter
I'm tired of Fisher. I think this is a smoke screen, 100%. But I'm still tired of him. We need to get with the program and draft offensive skill positions until our offense is at least top 16. So tired of being bottom 25 in offense EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

Also perturbs me that we didn't go the route of hiring a elite offensive coordinator like Trestman. #venting

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I understand I know I am being difficult here on this point. I fully understand where you are coming from here. If what I have painted is in dark & very dim in light as you say then its because that's what I have seen & learned for three losing seasons with Fisher's Ram teams involving his mostly NON effective offensive lines.

On your free agent remarks....your suggested proposal does not place many opportunities here for this OL to add young healthy talent. If we just use the three top free agent names that are being drummed up in our great forum.....mostly what many are suggesting is a free agent fix with either a very average ORT in Barksdale (I am being kind here) or a 31 yr old OLG who was plagued with a sore bad back & suffered a let down in his performance naturally all of last season with the Falcons plus come @ a high cap hit & I would also add looks to be primed & ready for decline event. Then OLG/OC Stefon Wisnienski who is involved in a rehabbing event from shoulder surgery just like our best Ram OL'er Rodger Saffold. Hey have we not went down this road before with bad results????

Sure they will fill the holes Rams43 but that sure looks like a big OL band-aid situation & does nothing to insert young talented healthy OL'ers none of those three above fit that need! I would seriously argue that the Rams do not need more of the above!

Reference your mentioning the BPA....I think the BMA (best move available) would be the trade down route offers would be my first choice of preference as posted many times previously to insure that Snead has ammo to work with on the second day where the many of the better valued OL'ers will be located. This is critical IMO.

Back to your purposed remedy Fisher might get one premium pick to try & insert some young talent into the OL.....one chance? If I looking from past 3 yrs of this top Org Ram's duo (Fisher/Snead) past drafts they do not have a good record here with OL'ers period & even if they get lucky with one OL'er ...he sure would be in hot demand early with Fishers Ram OL's injury history. Its in my nature to fix & resolve major problem areas I just can not help it. Its what I get for living in RamsRealVille.

In truth I have very little faith that Fisher has shown me any capability of making the right decisions when it comes to drafting OL'ers on the second day in the draft. In addition I am really worried that Bou has NO desire to groom good youthful starting OL'ers & there is zero evidence to say otherwise yet....if I am wrong please point it out with the evidence? I think Bou's hobby is & he loves his well seasoned OL refurbishing projects much better that grooming youth but one could also say to me that Fisher has yet to provide him with much youthful talent to groom.

My only real hope is Snead. I do feel he has sense enough & can power through with a trade down of that first top ten selection. Thus he gets some extra selections (ammo) on day two to where he can help feed off Fishers constant demands for the luxury defensive prospects. Placing Snead with additional chances (not just one) in-order to land several young talents in here on this OL. :)

I appreciate the respectful reply, Bonifay.

We just see this issue differently, I guess. And that's cool.

Taking BPA at #10 should yield a terrific football player that fell into our laps. That's never a bad strategy, if you ask me.

Drafting a QB in either round 2 or 3 is a must, don't you think? S/F have painted themselves into that corner, unfortunately. I'm not thrilled about it either, but I see no sensible alternative.

I see a vet FA as a viable starter solution at any 2 of our 3 current OL holes. They may not be Pro Bowlers, but they can hold down the positions just fine for a year or two. Teams around the league have successfully employed this strategy for years. Again, S/F have painted themselves into this corner, as well.

This is considered a very good draft for OL, especially interior OL. By the process of elimination above, we have either our 2nd or our 3rd for OL starter plus our 4th for either depth on OL or simply BPA.

Should we trade down out of our #10, we pick up still another premium pick for a quality player, possibly another OL in the 2nd or 3rd.

This all seems so logical and doable to me.

After rereading your post, I think we only really differ on two points...

Whether or not it's necessary to use our #10 on OL.

And whether or not second tier FA's (such as Barks, Wiz, Blalock, and DeLaPuente types) can hold down the fort for a season or two.