Defensive End could be in Rams draft plans ESPN Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/...top&rand=ref~{"ref":"http://t.co/kGE2wlPXvy"}

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher has never made any bones about his affinity for drafting defensive linemen early and often.

In Fisher's two decades as an NFL head coach in Houston, Tennesee and now in St. Louis, he believes he has often found the intersection of value and need in the first round by landing another pass-rusher even if his team is already well-stocked at the position.

Which is why perhaps nobody should be surprised if his Rams use the No. 10 overall pick on a pass-rusher this year despite more glaring needs in the short term.

“It would not be inconceivable to take another defensive end," Fisher said. "We like defensive ends and tackles. It’s not out of the realm of possibilities.”

With Fisher, it never is. Since he arrived in St. Louis in 2012, the Rams have taken a defensive lineman in the first round in two of the past three drafts in the form of defensive tackles Michael Brockers (2012) and Aaron Donald (2014).

But the track record extends well beyond that. As the coach of the Tennessee/Houston franchise from 1994 to 2010, the Titans/Oilers used 12 first- or second-round picks on a defensive end or defensive tackle. In Fisher's final three seasons in Nashville, the Titans drafted an end or tackle in the first two rounds in each of those years.

Fisher's belief is pretty simple: You can never have enough pass-rushers. It's why the Rams probably would have taken endJadeveon Clowney with the No. 2 overall pick in 2014 had he slipped past the Houston Texans despite greater, more pressing immediate needs.

Strange as it may sound, however, taking a lineman, particularly an end, this year might be more of a need than many realize. While the Rams have strong depth at the position for 2015 with the likes of Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, Eugene Sims and Ethan Westbrooks, that depth could be fleeting.

Quinn is the group's premiere player and under contract through the 2019 season. Other than Quinn, the rest come with varying degrees of question marks about their future in St. Louis. Long's deal runs through 2016 but his cap number for that year is $14.25 million. He'll need a strong bounce-back year after a 2014 injury cost him most of the season for the Rams to retain him at that number.

Hayes and Sims are both scheduled to be unrestricted free agents after this season, and though both provide excellent depth, Hayes has had injury issues and Sims has never been more than a solid if unspectacular player. Westbrooks has flashed potential but it remains to be seen whether he can develop into a starting-caliber player.

Given all of that and adding that the Rams' fundamental defensive philosophy centers on generating pass rush, adding an end could be higher on the priority list than it might seem. That is only buoyed by a draft that looks to be rich in prospects at the position.

Most NFL draft pundits rank USC's Leonard Williams, Nebraska's Randy Gregory, Florida's Dante Fowler Jr., Missouri's Shane Ray and Clemson's Vic Beasley as top-10-caliber prospects. The scheme or personality fit for each player might not necessarily be a match for the Rams but with so many of them ranked in that range, it's entirely possible that one could fall into the Rams' lap and stand out as the best player on the team's board.

Even with the team's pressing needs on the offensive line still unsettled, Fisher believes the Rams will have the ability to draft the best player available when the time comes but also mentions the chance that someone could want to move up if that type of player isn't what the Rams are looking for.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
“There’s flexibility," Fisher said. "There’s no doubt we’re going to get an outstanding player at 10. It depends on who’s there, as always. If somebody sees value and it works for us, we could back out and still get an outstanding player.”

The last part didnt paste sorry

jjab360

Legend
Long, Hayes, and Sims are all about to turn 30, believe it or not. Dupree and Fowler would be the best fits out of the first round prospects.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I wouldn't be opposed to this. We've gotten all we could ask out of Sims and Hayes. Long will be productive for about 3-5 for years hopefully. I could see him playing in his late 30's. Bring in a mean dude and groom him to be a force with Donald, Quinn and Fairley.

lockdnram21

Legend
I wouldn't be opposed to this. We've gotten all we could ask out of Sims and Hayes. Long will be productive for about 3-5 for years hopefully. I could see him playing in his late 30's. Bring in a mean dude and groom him to be a force with Donald, Quinn and Fairley.

Like Wagoner said if Long doesnt bounce back he might be released if he doesnt take a pay cut. Either way i think hes going to have to restructure or hes gone

V3

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't be upset with DE or CB but I'm still on a cliff's edge about our O-line. If our O-line sucks AGAIN next year, I'm officially done with Fisher.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Gotta fix the O=line. D-line is a luxury. If they are worried about not getting this low a pick again, well that''s a good thing.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Like Wagoner said if Long doesnt bounce back he might be released if he doesnt take a pay cut. Either way i think hes going to have to restructure or hes gone
Well I think Long will be fine. He looked good when he came back from injury and now he will have a whole year to get back to strength. I don't yhink 8-10 sacks is out of his range at all.

Athos

Legend
The defense is simply the biggest luxury this team has. Unless your D is also scoring in addition to stopping the other team, that strategy I just don't see working very well or for very long in the NFL.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
When you put it that way, sure, it makes some sense. I'd much rather draft OL, but sure. We could go any position besides K or P and I wouldn't complain.

The thing is, we need to fill our major needs of OL and QB imo. If we don't, we could draft JJ Watt Jr. and it wouldn't matter, we'd still be a losing team.

So if we can still fill those needs while drafting BPA like DE, sure.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In truth Fisher must be biting at the bit to draft more DE's since he has only drafted one as a Ram HC & Sam was more LB'er than DE. So its sure time for him to draft a few, not really sure this would be a good time to give in to his natural desires with the OL unit looking like a old 1950's abandon ran down drive in theater.

Looks to me next season would be better timing he would know if Chris Long is in actual decline, what the contract demands for both Hayes & Sims will be, If Ethan Westbrooks & Mason Bodine is a RDE's or DT's? I would prefer to know all the above before taking a chance on a DE this year.

In two decades as a HC in the NFL Fisher has only had 6 winning seasons....wonder why that is? But Fisher is such a likeable classy guy as a HC very hard not to like him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, we know Fisher will always consider drafting elite DL. It wouldn't shock me if they drafted a raw guy that will take a year or so of development either. Have him be in the rotation for at least a year, and it gives the Rams a bargaining chip for Long.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We need offense. This is the year to do it. You can't win if the score is 0-0.
Our d is fine.

lockdnram21

Legend
as long as the o line gets fixed i dont care. But the only defensive position i think we need is a cb. Trey waynes would be my pick

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I see no reason why S/F can't take BPA at #10 and STILL successfully fix our OL via FA and draft. Drafting a QB in round 2-3, as well.

Fixing OL should be child's play with 2 FA's and 1-2 draft picks.

lockdnram21

Legend
We need offense. This is the year to do it. You can't win if the score is 0-0.
Our d is fine.
on offense all we need is lineman . If we resign Barksdale we can get a guard in 2nd nad C in 3rd or go with Jones or Rhaney. Also they could be still talking to Barnes

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see no reason why S/F can't take BPA at #10 and STILL successfully fix our OL via FA and draft. Drafting a QB in round 2-3, as well.

Afternoon Rams43,
If they do go your way & go BPA lets say its a DE like this article say then use the 2nd pick on a QB then that leaves Fisher just 3 third day selections (late 4th rd pick & two very late 6th & 7th picks) & one 3rd rd pick to try to bring talent into a OL that is seriously lacking that element. That's one serious bit of work to do to get that done...near impossible.

Depending on 2 FA's like a very average Barksdale & an aged/worn Blalock to improve the OL:eek: without using your two top selections is one very big gamble.:whistle:

Memphis Ram

Legend

It should be, but not if you are a fan mistakenly looking for 5 potential All-Pros on the OLine.

In the end, if the Rams went the DLine route, the only players possibly worthy of the #10 selection who "might" be on the board and fit would Alvin Dupree and DT/NT Danny Shelton, IMO.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
on offense all we need is lineman . If we resign Barksdale we can get a guard in 2nd nad C in 3rd or go with Jones or Rhaney. Also they could be still talking to Barnes
Completely agree.
I'm comfortable with every other position we currently have.
Rb, wr, te and qb. I think we have enough with those positions to win.

It's time for some big uglies. Plenty of good ones.