Dec 7th, 1941. "A date which will live in infamy."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, this was the Greatest Generation's 9/11, and spurred many young men and women into helping the country, most of them in ways that we couldn't imagine nowadays.

Something's going to happen again in my lifetime, I just feel it in my bones. I just hope we don't put it or 9/11 into a footnote like Pearl seems to be.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"He and Ike prevented my advancing into Berlin, the bastids!" ~ George Patton.
MacArthur was a real piece of work too. Marshall had to check him as well, he wanted personal glory in big bloody victories and payback over what made sense tactically. Rabaul for example would have been a massive bloodbath had we taken it but fortunately Marshall opted for the Nimitz plan of leaving those assholes sitting on the island and bypassing them completely.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
MacArthur was a real piece of work too. Marshall had to check him as well, he wanted personal glory in big bloody victories and payback over what made sense tactically. Rabaul for example would have been a massive bloodbath had we taken it but fortunately Marshall opted for the Nimitz plan of leaving those assholes sitting on the island and bypassing them completely.
True (Nimitz Plan), but it would have saved many Germans from having to live in East Germany if Patton would have rolled through Berlin, stopping them Commie bastids outside of Berlin...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes but Stalin was a crazy bastard. If Patton had gotten his way I suspect it would have meant war with Russia. I think the west decided Germany deserved what it was about to get.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yes but Stalin was a crazy bastard. If Patton had gotten his way I suspect it would have meant war with Russia. I think the west decided Germany deserved what it was about to get.
Yeah,
Russia was an evil necessity.
They were pivotal in beating Germany.
The cold, Russian winters deserve some credit as well.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Patton knew that the USSR would stop being an ally as soon as Germany surrendered and that we would end up having to fight them soon anyway and might as well fight them when we had the men and equipment in the field to do so. He wasn't wrong, except he didn't understand the concept of a Cold War.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I was a paper boy in the late 70's, I remember seeing the color photos on the front page, above the fold, marking the event. Every paper in the country devoted front page space in remembrance The evening news always had a story about it on Dec. 7th and it was true every year until about the year 2000? It's hard to remember the exact year, but it seemed that all of the news media in a coordinated effort, stopped covering it. I remember being shocked at the time because it was so sudden. I don't think it was a conspiracy really, it just seemed so odd to me.
I even asked my wife, who is a little older than me what the significance of today's date and she had no clue until I reminded her. I would imagine those in their 30's and younger have no clue about the date's significance , unless they are history nerds like me!
that and the fact that tora! tora! tora! was usually on the CBS late movie (friday nights i believe) once a year if not more, back then as well.
hey.........i was a paper boy back in that era as well. 50+ dailys and 60+ on weekends. always hated when the inserts were late and the morning calls started flooding in to awake my drunk relatives who had no career options when it came to customer service.