Cutler Scenario Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Okay.

Bills Game? No garbage stats.
Whiners? Completed the comeback.
Jets? No garbage stats.
GB? None. Rodgers just put them over the barrel in the 2nd.
Carolina? Just bad defense.
Falcons? Nope. Just big stats. Incredibly, week 6 is their first week with a rushing TD from a RB. Goes to show how pee pee poor the Bear's line has been.
Phins? Push.
NE? Yea. THOSE are garbage stats.
GB again? Yea. But this is the big decline of the Bears at this point.

Min? Win
TB? Win.
DET? Had a 14-3 lead after the 1st. But crap if you gonna win a game rushing for 18 yards.
DAL? I suppose, they Cutler did get those back within 10 with 6 minutes left. Certainly a game of it if he has the Rams D.
NO? I suppose, but again, team quit at this point and the D is playing at a HS level.

Well, OK. But, now tell me what your response has to do with the original point being made.

That point?

Cutler and his team with loads of playmaker talent (more than the Rams have right now) only have 8 more TDs than the Rams Austin Davis/Shaun Hill led team with lesser talent and 7 of those TDs came in garbage time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, OK. But, now tell me what your response has to do with the original point being made.

That point?

Cutler and his team with loads of playmaker talent (more than the Rams have right now) only have 8 more TDs than the Rams Austin Davis/Shaun Hill led team with lesser talent and 7 of those TDs came in garbage time.

Every Pick Begins with Jay.

Athos

Legend

As bad as our line has been, the Bears has been worse. Again, as evidenced by zero rushing TDs by a RB until week 6. We have 200ish more yards on the ground and 2 more TDs in a division FAR harder to run on.

And actually.

The Bears Offense has 38 offense TDs to our 28. So, 10 TDs. Bears only have 5 more picks too, and not nearly the amount of pick 6s.

10 extra TDs is basically the difference in at least 4 games. If you wanna go 3 TDs, 21 points, that's the difference, in sum, to win the 2nd ARZ game, the SD game, and the DAL game. Which means, 9 wins, with the potential to win 11.

TE is a wash BTW.
RB? Our combo is more than a wash for Forte.

Kenny Britt and Quick would be having 800+ yard seasons a piece with a halfway competent average QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As bad as our line has been, the Bears has been worse. Again, as evidenced by zero rushing TDs by a RB until week 6. We have 200ish more yards on the ground and 2 more TDs in a division FAR harder to run on.

And actually.

The Bears Offense has 38 offense TDs to our 28. So, 10 TDs. Bears only have 5 more picks too, and not nearly the amount of pick 6s.

10 extra TDs is basically the difference in at least 4 games. If you wanna go 3 TDs, 21 points, that's the difference, in sum, to win the 2nd ARZ game, the SD game, and the DAL game. Which means, 9 wins, with the potential to win 11.

TE is a wash BTW.

Kenny Britt and Quick would be having 800+ yard seasons a piece with a halfway competent average QB.

Our HB combo is not a wash when compared to Forte.

Athos

Legend
Our HB combo is not a wash when compared to Forte.

In a vacuum this season, it has been. But again, those goes back to CHI's horrible line. And I meant from a rushing standpoint. Not the passing game because Shotty doesn't use our RBs in the passing game for w/e reason. Not sure if it's hands or what, but I'll never understand not using the RB screen more.

Mason is certainly capable speed wise, though the hands....that's a prob maybe. But Bennie always looks good on those RB screens.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In a vacuum this season, it has been. But again, those goes back to CHI's horrible line. And I meant from a rushing standpoint. Not the passing game because Shotty doesn't use our RBs in the passing game for w/e reason. Not sure if it's hands or what, but I'll never understand not using the RB screen more.

Mason is certainly capable speed wise, though the hands....that's a prob maybe. But Bennie always looks good on those RB screens.

Personally, I think it's a combination of our HBs not being great pass catchers and our QBs not being that good at hitting their checkdowns in a timely manner.

That's why I like Devontae Booker so much. I think a ton of him as a runner but the guy is an outstanding receiver. He has WR like hands and would be an awesome checkdown target in the passing game.

fearsomefour

Legend
People love to bash on Cutler....in Denver, in Chicago and everywhere else. I have pulled for the guy pretty much all along for one reason mostly....he has more natural talent than just about any other QB in the league. He really has all the boxes checked from a physical standpoint. What bothers me about him is he still seems lost at times. Maybe this is a by product of the offense or pressure or something else, but, it has been recurring theme with him. There are times his footwork completely sucks too.
His cap impact is $16M next year, then $17M and $16.5M the year after that. Losing Bradfords $12M cap in exchange for Cutlers $16M is doable I guess....is it wise? Man, I don't know.
I do love C.J. Mosley by the way. He is a very good DT vs. the run. I would not want to cut Langford as I don't think the Rams will need to and he is valuable guy. I like the idea of bringing in a guy like Mosley who is mostly a run stuffer.

Memphis Ram

Legend

And actually.

TE is a wash BTW.

Oh please. The Bears are averaging 4.1 yards per rush to the Rams 4.2. The main reason the Rams have more rushing yards is the Rams have 40 plus more carries. And rushing TDs vs. passing TDs is merely a product of play calls (especially in the redzone).

And while I allowed the TD interjection earlier, unless their FG kicker is missing a bunch of FGs, Cutler and the Bears offense must not be getting him chances as total points scored is still very close to the Rams.

A healthy Quick and Britt could be having 800+ yards season apiece if the team weren't "supposedly" a run first offense and threw the ball more & didn't spread the ball around as much.

And if you really believe that the TE and RB combo is a wash, then there's really no need to discuss this any future. Not that any of this really matter given we're discussing two different teams playing different schedules.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
To be blunt, that Clemmings kid is incredible. Every thing you want in a franchise LT is there and the guy makes it look easy. Every time Chickillo rushed the passer, Clemmings was right there in front of him. Chickillo never had a choice to do anything but try to go through Clemmings and Clemmings stonewalled him with what seemed like ease.

He's strong, incredibly athletic, light on his feet, well-balanced, long, and smooth changing directions. That kid will be as good as he wants to be. I am legitimately concerned that #14 is far too late. I won't be shocked if after the Senior Bowl and Combine, he's seen as a top 3-5 pick. But I will be saddened because oh boy is he good.

We talked about this a few weeks ago. Clemmings is for real and will probably go top ten. Like you said, Lane Johnson part duex. My only issues with this draft not including Cutler lol is Im not sure Clemmings or Cann will be there.

Clemmings could be gone and I think Cann is looking more like a first rounder right now. I really don't see him slipping to the 2nd. If you are married to the oline with those picks we might be looking more at say Ereck Flowers at 14 and Laken Tomlinson in the 2nd.

Athos

Legend
A healthy Quick and Britt could be having 800+ yards season apiece if the team weren't "supposedly" a run first offense and threw the ball more & didn't spread the ball around as much.

Why the hell do you think we've run first? Because Hill/Davis suck at pushing the ball downfield without any consistency at all. Balls are falling incomplete 10 yards in front of them, are lame ducks spinning in the air they have to make a circus catch for and exposing them to brutal hits, or they just plain aren't seeing them.

If you don't think Britt and a healthy Quick wouldn't be having 800+ yard seasons this year with Sam....or hell, even Cutler, you're blind to something and I'm not quite sure what it is or why. There's a damn reason why HIll and Davis can't or won't get a 1000 yard WR.

And LMFAO if you don't think TE is a wash. Or are you blind to how good Bennet really is? Cook has nearly as many yards and TDs as Bennet in one fewer season and playing with some pretty god awful QBs his entire career. I dunno what you're smoking.

And I clarified that the rushing attack was a wash between the two teams this year and it for sure damn sure, like I said, with the Rams playing against some of the best run Ds in the league. No, we don't match Forte's contributions to the passing game, but w/e.

I'm done because that "garbage time stat" junk you're in love with was again, the go to excuse to trash Bradford.

Just isn't no winning against that belief.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We talked about this a few weeks ago. Clemmings is for real and will probably go top ten. Like you said, Lane Johnson part duex. My only issues with this draft not including Cutler lol is Im not sure Clemmings or Cann will be there.

Clemmings could be gone and I think Cann is looking more like a first rounder right now. I really don't see him slipping to the 2nd. If you are married to the oline with those picks we might be looking more at say Ereck Flowers at 14 and Laken Tomlinson in the 2nd.

I think Cann falls out of the first. He's a pure OG who won't have elite measurables. Those guys typically get under-drafted. Yea, there are definitely some similarities to Lane Johnson with Clemmings.

Disagree on Flowers and Tomlinson. I don't see Flowers going first round or Tomlinson going 2nd. JMO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Why the hell do you think we've run first? Because Hill/Davis suck at pushing the ball downfield without any consistency at all. Balls are falling incomplete 10 yards in front of them, are lame ducks spinning in the air they have to make a circus catch for and exposing them to brutal hits, or they just plain aren't seeing them.

If you don't think Britt and a healthy Quick wouldn't be having 800+ yard seasons this year with Sam....or hell, even Cutler, you're blind to something and I'm not quite sure what it is or why. There's a damn reason why HIll and Davis can't or won't get a 1000 yard WR.

And LMFAO if you don't think TE is a wash. Or are you blind to how good Bennet really is? Cook has nearly as many yards and TDs as Bennet in one fewer season and playing with some pretty god awful QBs his entire career. I dunno what you're smoking.

And I clarified that the rushing attack was a wash between the two teams this year and it for sure damn sure, like I said, with the Rams playing against some of the best run Ds in the league. No, we don't match Forte's contributions to the passing game, but w/e.

I'm done because that "garbage time stat" junk you're in love with was again, the go to excuse to trash Bradford.

Just isn't no winning against that belief.

Why do I think we run first? It's not only the QB. That's Jeff Fisher's NFL modus operandi. Run the ball and play strong defense. Where have you been?

And quite frankly, I can't help but to note how stupid arbitrary WR individual yardage numbers provided by fans can be at times when these numbers can be easily affected by a team spreading the ball around to several targets. They are meaningless figures.

With this, Yes, I repeat, it's possible that Britt and a healthy Quick could have had this arbitrary 800+ yards with the Davis/Hill in a more pass happy offense AND if the team didn't rotate and spread the ball around to other WRs as much. With 2 games to go, Britt is less than 200 yards away now. And to date, Bailey, Austin, Quick, and former Rams Pettis combined have over 1,100 yards. Compare this to Chicago where of their 3,457 passing yards, less than 200 yards at WR have come outside of Jeffrey & Marshall. Together both of them wouldn't meet your arbitrary 800+ yard number either if they spread the ball around like the Rams.

And LMFAO all you want about Bennett vs. Cook. But, while you are laughing and comparing career numbers try thinking a little and see that Bennett's first four seasons were with a TE named Jason Witten. Perhaps, you've heard of him. Good Grief.

And you can be done, all you want with the garbage time "so-called" excuse. I've never mentioned Bradford here, but common sense would tell anyone that it's easier for a QB to have success vs. a team playing a prevent defense as opposed to what they were playing before games got out of hand.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And you can be done, all you want with the garbage time "so-called" excuse. I've never mentioned Bradford here, but common sense would tell anyone that it's easier for a QB to have success vs. a team playing a prevent defense as opposed to what they were playing before games got out of hand.

Okay...so explain why Cutler's TD to Int ratio and QB Rating are higher in the first 3 quarters if he's simply racking up garbage time stats?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Okay...so explain why Cutler's TD to Int ratio and QB Rating are higher in the first 3 quarters if he's simply racking up garbage time stats?
Explain why you've come up with such a strawman argument when my mention of garbage time scoring for the Bears was merely in reference to a comparison of their team's overall scoring vs. the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Explain why you've come up with such a strawman argument when my mention of garbage time scoring for the Bears was merely in reference to a comparison of their team's overall scoring vs. the Rams.

So we're not discussing QB play...we're discussing a team...that isn't the Rams? Why is it relevant then?

Athos

Legend

Then stop being an ass and use the Rams garbage time stats in comparison to the Bears.

Oh wait.....Jrry already did and figured out the scoring still favors the Bears.

Then tell me, oh great one, what is the arbitrary designation for "garbage time stats?" Haven't the Rams played prevent all the time because Fisher is conservative and has burned us?

Is it garbage if the team gets in the big hole but fails to complete the come back like the Falcons game last year? Oh wait.....that was old larry's excuse for Bradford hate.

Is it 7 points?
14?
17?

2nd QTR?
3rd QTR?

5 minutes left in the game.

Please, help me understand when it magically becomes garbage time so I can go through every NFL player's stats and arbitrarily dock stats.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Why does Buffalo choose to go after Bradford instead of Cutler? With his arm, he seems much more suited to Buffalo's weather and they're building a stable of WR's up there that need someone to get them the ball. I could see them actually spending to get a guy like Cutler.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does Buffalo choose to go after Bradford instead of Cutler? With his arm, he seems much more suited to Buffalo's weather and they're building a stable of WR's up there that need someone to get them the ball. I could see them actually spending to get a guy like Cutler.

Bradford is a better fit for their system and I don't think Marrone will want to take the chance on Cutler's reputation. Like I said, there will be some coaches who shy away from taking a shot on a guy known as a coach killer. I don't see Fisher being one of those guys.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Bradford is a better fit for their system and I don't think Marrone will want to take the chance on Cutler's reputation. Like I said, there will be some coaches who shy away from taking a shot on a guy known as a coach killer. I don't see Fisher being one of those guys.
"When healthy". I'm a Bradford guy but Marrone would be taking a much bigger chance by taking an oft-injured QB than a guy with a "reputation".

One of the selling points for Cutler to the Rams is that Shanahan gives Fisher the thumbs up. If that's the case, then it boils down to Cutler not being an actual problem. Which, if true, means that Marrone wouldn't have those concerns and would likely prefer a QB who can stay on the field and be "coached" than a huge roll of the dice on a guy who's been injury prone and may likely miss OTA's, training camp, etc. in a new system on a new team.

The potential connection that Fisher and Cutler have is going to be tested if he becomes available. There are too many teams in NEED of a starting QB that will pay better to get him IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"When healthy". I'm a Bradford guy but Marrone would be taking a much bigger chance by taking an oft-injured QB than a guy with a "reputation".

Not exactly. No. Because Cutler's risk comes with significantly more guaranteed money and much less upside. So the risk just about evens out but there's more upside with Bradford for a team like Buffalo. And again, I'll restate that he fits their system better than Cutler.

One of the selling points for Cutler to the Rams is that Shanahan gives Fisher the thumbs up. If that's the case, then it boils down to Cutler not being an actual problem. Which, if true, means that Marrone wouldn't have those concerns and would likely prefer a QB who can stay on the field and be "coached" than a huge roll of the dice on a guy who's been injury prone and may likely miss OTA's, training camp, etc. in a new system on a new team.

He's had 2 different coaches since then and Marrone isn't tight with Shanahan. So no, that's not the case.

The potential connection that Fisher and Cutler have is going to be tested if he becomes available. There are too many teams in NEED of a starting QB that will pay better to get him IMO.

I guess we'll see. Other than Tennessee and us, I'm not sold there will be too many takers. The Jets might factor in depending on their new coach.