Cunningham takes long road to key role for Rams/Wags

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Benny Cunningham takes long road to key role for Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...nningham-takes-long-road-to-key-role-for-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- While most of his fellow St. Louis Rams running backs took to social media to offer some displeasure about the team's choice of Todd Gurley with the No. 10 overall pick, Benny Cunningham took a different approach.

Cunningham wanted all draft-eligible players to know that the draft isn't the end all, be all.

Benny Cunningham @BennyCunningham
S/O to all the names that get called during the draft BUT for those who don't hear their name.. Opportunity is all that matters in the end!!

Nobody knows that as well as Cunningham. Just two short years ago, Cunningham was considered damaged goods before the 2013 NFL draft. To make matters more difficult, he was coming from Middle Tennessee State, not exactly a factory for NFL players.

But the undrafted rookie to show enough -- particularly on special teams -- in the preseason and training camp to earn a roster spot. In the time since, Cunningham has evolved into one of the team's core special teams players and a valuable role player on offense.

From the outside, one would assume Cunningham was able to carve out his niche by focusing on a few areas of the game and specializing in them. To hear him tell it, the approach has been far more all-encompassing.

"I don’t put myself in a position where I think I have a certain role," Cunningham said. "I just try to do everything as good as I can and when my number is called just make the most of the opportunity. I just feel like whenever coach needs me, if I’m prepared and can make an impact, then I’ll start getting more playing time."

Since his arrival, Cunningham's playing time has only increased.

On special teams, Cunningham has worked on coverage units in his first two seasons, but truly made his mark in 2014 when he took over as the primary kick returner. It's a job that Cunningham doesn't look fit for. His stocky build and lack of top-end speed doesn't make him the ideal returner, but the results can't be ignored.

Cunningham led the NFC in kick return average at 27.5 yards, which also ranked fifth in the NFL.

"He’s a running back, he’s got really good vision, he’s got great feet," special teams coach John Fassel said. "He’s a real strong looking, stout guy, where you think he might be a bit stiff, but he’s not. He’s fluid, he’s got great feet, he’s a tackle-breaker. He can see a little hole and if the return is designed to go here but there’s a pocket of air here, he’ll hit it. He’s got great ball skills, so I was very proud of Benny last year, he did a great job."

Given Cunningham's production, one would assume he's going to keep the role this season, but he's approaching it like the rest of his career -- as though nothing is guaranteed. That's probably wise considering Isaiah Pead, last year's presumptive returner, is returning from injury.

"I’m most definitely going to try to hold that job down," Cunningham said. "I love it. The opportunity to go out there and just make some plays. And you know you are getting the ball. What’s better than that?"

One thing that might be better is an expanded role in the offense, where Cunningham's primary job is to help with blitz pickup and catch passes on third down. He finished with 246 rushing yards and three touchdowns while averaging 3.7 yards per carry. He and added another 352 receiving yards and a score on 45 receptions.

With Gurley in the fold and Tre Mason likely getting the bulk of the rest of the carries, it seems logical that Cunningham's reps with the offense could drop some, but there will always be a need for someone who can pass protect and catch passes out of the backfield.

Though Cunningham's role in the offense might dwindle a bit because of Gurley, he's not even mildly concerned about it.

"I’m just worried about trying to win," Cunningham said. "If he has every second of the clock and we win the game, I’m happy."