Cross Brees off the wish list

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

zz00zdewmjqwyjm0zwrjnge1yzq3njuzymmxodmxytnhyg-e1455228080600.jpeg

The Saints definitely will be keeping quarterback Drew Brees for 2016.

Wednesday’s non-news news that $10.85 million of his $19.75 million base salary had become fully guaranteed omitted a piece of new news that means Brees will not be going anywhere. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Brees deal has no offset language for 2016.

This means that, if the Saints were to cut Brees, he’d still get the full $10.85 million without reduction for any money earned elsewhere, meaning that the Saints would carry $20.85 million on the books for Brees in 2016, no matter what.

If the deal had offset language, the Saints could have moved on from Brees if the two sides failed to work out a new deal for 2016 and beyond, since someone else surely would have paid Brees that much for the coming season — and the Saints would have gotten a dollar-for-dollar credit for the guaranteed pay.

So as it now stands, Brees has maximum leverage. He can either proceed with a $19.75 million base salary and a $30 million cap number, or he can sign an extension that reduces the cap number in exchange for cash and other considerations beyond the current season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was it ever really in doubt?

Probably not once Asshole Face confirmed to be staying. But, he's a big cap hit and it was uncertain how they'd handle it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't rule out a trade. But it seems highly unlikely.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
30,000 against the cap? Damn, I want a top five QB but I am not looking forward to number like that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
30,000 against the cap? Damn, I want a top five QB but I am not looking forward to number like that.

Part of it is NO's fault for restructuring him and pushing money into the future. But I'll take that number if our QB leads us to a Super Bowl title. ;)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Would have been best case scenario at QB for the 2016 season.
Oh well...lets go draft a QB.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really.
What kind of organization would trade away a quarterback who will end up in the Hall Of Fame and led said team to their only Super Bowl Title??

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, right.

the team you're thinking about actually cut said qb.