Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Running back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who starts for you on the All-Time Rams Roster at RB?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again since no one could see the link here's the article.
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/25/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-running-back/
gettyimages-387355.jpg

In this new series, we will break down our All-Time Rams roster position-by-position. We covered the quarterbacks first, and now it’s time to move on to the running backs. We’ll have a starter and two backups for this position.

Starter: Eric Dickerson
edickerson.jpg

For most people the first thing that comes to mind when the Los Angeles Rams are mentioned, is Eric Dickerson. The track star from Southern Methodist University became the first player ever in NFL history to be named Rookie of the Year while also finishing runner-up in the MVP voting.

Dickerson was never named MVP, which is shocking and in some ways downright disrespectful. His single-season rushing yards record still remains intact today, even though Adrian Peterson made quite a push at it back in 2012.

While the Hall of Fame running back may have only played five seasons with the Rams before being traded, he had the fastest start to any player in NFL history. He compiled 7,245 rushing yards and 56 touchdowns in just those five years with the Rams.

It’s a tough debate between the man below and Dickerson, but at the end of the day, Dickerson is going to get the nod.

Backup: Marshall Faulk
faulk.jpg

The former San Diego State great went from being drafted by the Colts and playing with a legend in Peyton Manning, to being traded and playing with another legend in Kurt Warner. Faulk was a freak of nature, as he wasn’t a giant physical specimen like Dickerson, but he literally did everything well.

Faulk finished off seven seasons with the Rams tallying up 11,030 yards from scrimmage and 85 total touchdowns. He set the record for single-season touchdowns, which was broken shortly after, and the record for single-season yards from scrimmage, which was also broken years later. The most important thing, is that the Hall of Famer went to two Super Bowls, won one and was named the 2000 NFL MVP. That’s a feat that even Dickerson was unable to accomplish.

Again, it was a tough decision, but it’s almost better to have Faulk as the scat back or out wide while Dickerson starts. There is no doubt those two would complement each other very well and would create one of the scariest backfield duos of all time.

Backup: Steven Jackson
gettyimages-130976899.jpg

The Rams all-time rushing leader was a first-round pick out of Oregon State. All Jackson did was combine power and speed, while showing off his workhorse mentality. Jackson, during his nine-year tenure in horns was a total team player, sticking with the Rams through thick and thin, although there really wasn’t much thick during his time.

Jackson’s best teams finished 8-8 on the season and he never was able to play in a playoff game. It’s rough for the running back, because when you think about it, the best QB he played with was either Marc Bulger or Sam Bradford. He didn’t have the luxury of playing with an elite talent like Warner, the way Faulk did.

There is no doubt Jackson is the third-best running back in Rams history. The reason is simply because while he is great, he’s not quite on the level of Faulk and Eric Dickerson.

Honorable Mention
Dan Towler
One of the most underrated and flat-out forgotten players in the history of the game. Dan Towler played on the NFL title team with Bob Waterfield and Norm Van Brocklin. He was named an All-Pro once and went to the Pro-Bowl four times. Towler recorded 5.2 yards per carry and 43 touchdowns during his six-year career before retiring to become a minister.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In reality, Dickerson is your starting RB but Faulk is on the field as well. Move him from the backfield with ED to split out wide or in the slot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Had to pick ED. I loved me some Marshall Marshall Marshall but ED was the best pure RB I have ever seen and when he played, he WAS our offense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Had to pick ED. I loved me some Marshall Marshall Marshall but ED was the best pure RB I have ever seen and when he played, he WAS our offense.
The same can be said about Marshall Faulk too!! It's really impossible to choose between them!(y):D ( But I did pick MF!:D)

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
The same can be said about Marshall Faulk too!! It's really impossible to choose between them!(y):D ( But I did pick MF!:D)

No it can't. I love Marshall Faulk but there was a TON of talent on that offense. Dickerson didn't have near that talent on his offense and carried a much harder burden.

If I was building a team I'd have ED as the starting back and Faulk would be next to him in the shotgun or in the slot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Again since no one could see the link here's the article.
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/25/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-running-back/
gettyimages-387355.jpg

In this new series, we will break down our All-Time Rams roster position-by-position. We covered the quarterbacks first, and now it’s time to move on to the running backs. We’ll have a starter and two backups for this position.

Starter: Eric Dickerson
edickerson.jpg

For most people the first thing that comes to mind when the Los Angeles Rams are mentioned, is Eric Dickerson. The track star from Southern Methodist University became the first player ever in NFL history to be named Rookie of the Year while also finishing runner-up in the MVP voting.

Dickerson was never named MVP, which is shocking and in some ways downright disrespectful. His single-season rushing yards record still remains intact today, even though Adrian Peterson made quite a push at it back in 2012.

While the Hall of Fame running back may have only played five seasons with the Rams before being traded, he had the fastest start to any player in NFL history. He compiled 7,245 rushing yards and 56 touchdowns in just those five years with the Rams.

It’s a tough debate between the man below and Dickerson, but at the end of the day, Dickerson is going to get the nod.

Backup: Marshall Faulk
faulk.jpg

The former San Diego State great went from being drafted by the Colts and playing with a legend in Peyton Manning, to being traded and playing with another legend in Kurt Warner. Faulk was a freak of nature, as he wasn’t a giant physical specimen like Dickerson, but he literally did everything well.

Faulk finished off seven seasons with the Rams tallying up 11,030 yards from scrimmage and 85 total touchdowns. He set the record for single-season touchdowns, which was broken shortly after, and the record for single-season yards from scrimmage, which was also broken years later. The most important thing, is that the Hall of Famer went to two Super Bowls, won one and was named the 2000 NFL MVP. That’s a feat that even Dickerson was unable to accomplish.

Again, it was a tough decision, but it’s almost better to have Faulk as the scat back or out wide while Dickerson starts. There is no doubt those two would complement each other very well and would create one of the scariest backfield duos of all time.

Backup: Steven Jackson
gettyimages-130976899.jpg

The Rams all-time rushing leader was a first-round pick out of Oregon State. All Jackson did was combine power and speed, while showing off his workhorse mentality. Jackson, during his nine-year tenure in horns was a total team player, sticking with the Rams through thick and thin, although there really wasn’t much thick during his time.

Jackson’s best teams finished 8-8 on the season and he never was able to play in a playoff game. It’s rough for the running back, because when you think about it, the best QB he played with was either Marc Bulger or Sam Bradford. He didn’t have the luxury of playing with an elite talent like Warner, the way Faulk did.

There is no doubt Jackson is the third-best running back in Rams history. The reason is simply because while he is great, he’s not quite on the level of Faulk and Eric Dickerson.

Honorable Mention
Dan Towler
One of the most underrated and flat-out forgotten players in the history of the game. Dan Towler played on the NFL title team with Bob Waterfield and Norm Van Brocklin. He was named an All-Pro once and went to the Pro-Bowl four times. Towler recorded 5.2 yards per carry and 43 touchdowns during his six-year career before retiring to become a minister.
We really appreciate the full articles here. We definitely want you to get the pub as the author as well and you should post links to the articles as many here would want to go to the site you write for to check it out.

I think I can speak for most here when I say that we love reading pieces written by people that actually follow the team much more than stuff written by those who really don't have a clue about our team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As much as I loved Marshall, I can't agree with you. But then that is what makes these kinds of lists fun. Rarely is there just one way to look at a player.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We really appreciate the full articles here. We definitely want you to get the pub as the author as well and you should post links to the articles as many here would want to go to the site you write for to check it out.

I think I can speak for most here when I say that we love reading pieces written by people that actually follow the team much more than stuff written by those who really don't have a clue about our team.
I can't agree more! Thank you sooo much for the kind words!!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Choosing between Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk is like choosing between
df-580617.jpg

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Of all the Rams running backs Dickerson wins hands down for me. Not just because he was the best pure natural runner but also that he was drafted by the organization.

I tend to favor players that were drafted by the team when choosing all time greats. I was upset for an entire year watching highlights of him running the ball for the Colts ...

tumblr_ndilyvAZDE1qhkbk8o1_400.gif

giphy.gif

1982-1023-Eric-Dickerson-017057086.jpg

1393731.jpg

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I see your point @Florida_Ram I see Faulk as our "Bettis".

Jerome Bettis was drafted by the Rams. Yet which team claims him? The Steelers. He isn't even in this conversation. But he is beloved by the Steelers. They probably have this debate between he and Franco Harris for their greatest running back.

Edit: went back and looked. Surprisingly: #2 Franco #1 Bettis

Marshall Faulk had a few good years with the Colts. But he became a hall of famer because of his incredible GSOT days.

Both he and Dickerson had great years with the Colts, as a matter of fact. It would be interesting to see fans of that franchise debate this topic.

Edit: in a Colts BR top ten running backs list they have Faulk #4, Dickerson #2 and Edgerin James #1. The. Authors reasoning:

"When I first did this list, I had James at No. 2 and Dickerson at No. 1. Dickerson was the lone Hall of Famer on the list. (My note: the author wrote this article in 2009, prior to Faulks induction)

Surely he had to be No. 1, right?

Well, just like Faulk, Dickerson's best days were with the Rams. If there was a rusher who really defined his career by his play in Indianapolis, it would be James.

When James left after the 2005 season, he took with him some impressive numbers.

He had 9,226 yards, best in Colts franchise history, for both Indianapolis and Baltimore.

He had 64 rushing touchdowns and over 350 receptions.

James was at first labeled a mistake. The Colts had a chance to take the more publicized Ricky Williams. Instead, the Colts took James.

It was definitely a smart choice.

James started his career by leading the league in rushing his first two seasons. Once paired with Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison, the "triplets" started an impressive run of playoff appearances for the franchise.

In his third year, James was hurt. It would mark the only time he would not reach at least 900 yards with Indianapolis. Not surprisingly, it would also be the only time since 1998 that the Colts have missed the playoffs.

Lost in Manning's record setting 2004 season in which he passed for 49 touchdowns is the fact that James still had over 1,500 yards of rushing. Just as much as Manning, James was an important cog to the Colts' offense.

So important, in fact, that Colts' owner Jim Irsay presented James a Super Bowl ring, even though James had left the team in the offseason before.

That alone signifies why James is the best Colts back of all-time." -end of article.

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

It would be interesting to see fans of that franchise debate this topic.

I see your point @Florida_Ram I see Faulk as our "Bettis".

Jerome Bettis was drafted by the Rams. Yet which team claims him? The Steelers. He isn't even in this conversation. But he is beloved by the Steelers. They probably have this debate between he and Franco Harris for their greatest running back.

Marshall Faulk had a few good years with the Colts. But he became a hall of famer because of his incredible GSOT days.

Both he and Dickerson had great years with the Colts, as a matter of fact. It would be interesting to see fans of that franchise debate this topic.

Edit: in a Colts BR top ten running backs list they have Faulk #4, Dickerson #2 and Edgerin James #1.

I see Faulk as our "Bettis".
Jerome Bettis was drafted by the Rams. Yet which team claims him?

Great points mr. Roman Snow... I definitely consider Faulk 99 % a true Ram and its Ironic that we win the Super Bowl with a running back from the team that Dickerson left us for. I have often wondered if Dickerson with Everett would have at least won one Lombardi?

Oh well and a very well indirect and wise angle/point of view Snow... good post

tempests

Hall of Fame
Marshall for me. For three wonderful seasons Faulk was good for 150+ yards a game and scored more points than any other player in football, kickers included. Unstoppable in the red zone and one of the league's all time great decoys.

ED may have been better at carrying an offense on his back but this being an all time Rams team, unless Dieter Brock is my team's QB it's not a primary concern.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

I see Faulk as our "Bettis".
Jerome Bettis was drafted by the Rams. Yet which team claims him?

Great points mr. Roman Snow... I definitely consider Faulk 99 % a true Ram and its Ironic that we win the Super Bowl with a running back from the team that Dickerson left us for. I have often wondered if Dickerson with Everett would have at least won one Lombardi?

Oh well and a very well indirect and wise angle/point of view Snow... good post
Thanks buddy. You too. I just edited the last post. I went back and looked up both the Steeler and Colt top tens to see where "our" guys fit in. Some interesting results...

nighttrain

Legend
ED never had a QB, some of the runs he made came off incredible moves behind the LOS, Faulk best all purpose back ever
train

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
All time roster right? I'd mix it up with Faulk and Dickerson using Bettis as a fullback.

There you go :)

…..

Legend
Here's an interesting spin....

When I think of Dickersons Rams, I think of Dennis Harrah,Doug Smith, Irv Panky, Jackie Slater and Nolan Cromwell

When I think of Faulks Rams, I think of Issac Bruce, Torry Holt, Kurt Warner, Az Zahir Hakim, and Ricky Proehl...

The 99 Rams could ding ya with any one of 5 receivers on a single play..with Faulk being one of them.
The 85 Rams only had 4 receivers on the roster!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This was a tough one.
ED was one of the greatest ever.
I chose Faulk, because he's the most complete RB I've ever seen.
Most players are good at some things and just ok at others.
MF was one of the few players, that was great at everything.

If you look at the total package it's Faulk.

I have mentioned this many times......during an interview PManning was talking about different aspects of the passing game and out of the blue was asked who the best pass catching RB was and he immediately and emphatically said "Marshall Faulk, and no one else is even in the conversation".

I love ED, he was so much fun to watch, but if I am starting a team and have a choice it's Faulk. He's edge in the passing game is really big, and in the Red Zone he was really proficient.