Crazy Trade Idea with New England

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like the idea but Butler has been really bad and it could be the contract.

The reason I'm not crazy about it, is Butler is a FA next year, 1 franchise tag left. Lewis is a walking injury. Allan Branch is probably available, would rather him instead of Lewis.

As I type this it's a good idea. NE has had no draft capital the last 2 years so I doubt they are trading any picks moving forward, but maybe Austin for Butler would make sense. Branch again could be a good fit but not sure if I ready to give up on Quinn

Rams43

Hall of Fame
That's some very interesting outside the box thinking there, jrry32.

My first reactions:

1) Do we really want/need Butler? Assuming Webster gets healthy, I think we're okay at CB for this year. And do you think Butler is all that, anyway?

2) I'm not ready to bail on Quinn just yet. He's underwhelmed so far this year, I know. But his potential ceiling is stratospheric. I would hate to bail too soon. If anybody can help Quinn, it's Wade.

3) Not sure Tavon has real trade value in the real world. Especially for a shrewd talent evaluator like BB.

Having said all that, these are merely my immediate gut reactions. After I think more about things, I just might change my mind.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I cannot sign off on anything that could possibly help the Hoodie and the Evil Empire! :hellno::gtfo:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's some very interesting outside the box thinking there, jrry32.

My first reactions:

1) Do we really want/need Butler? Assuming Webster gets healthy, I think we're okay at CB for this year. And do you think Butler is all that, anyway?

2) I'm not ready to bail on Quinn just yet. He's underwhelmed so far this year, I know. But his potential ceiling is stratospheric. I would hate to bail too soon. If anybody can help Quinn, it's Wade.

3) Not sure Tavon has real trade value in the real world. Especially for a shrewd talent evaluator like BB.

Having said all that, these are merely my immediate gut reactions. After I think more about things, I just might change my mind.

Look at what Wade did in Denver with a dominant secondary. I think giving him a guy like Butler makes a huge difference. I do think Butler is a top 15 CB in the NFL.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just had a crazy thought. I know there's no chance it happens, but I thought it would be interesting to float. The Patriots are reportedly considering trading CB Malcolm Butler. They likely won't bring him back this off-season. They also need pass rushing help. We need help in our secondary. Here's my thought:
Rams Trade
OLB Robert Quinn
WR Tavon Austin
2018 Third Round Pick

Patriots Trade
CB Malcolm Butler
HB Dion Lewis
2018 Second Round Pick

Lewis replaces Lance Dunbar. Patriots get a talented gadget in Austin. Patriots get a talented pass rusher in Quinn. We get a talented cover CB in Butler. We swap picks and get the better pick because Quinn is under contract through 2019. Thoughts?

I think it makes the LB corp weaker and the Rams cannot afford that. This trade favors the Patriots more than the Rams unless a third round pick goes to the Rams along with the rest of it, or even in lieu of this Lewis guy who I've never heard of.. Butler is a FA after this season. So it's less than a full season rental and he doesn't know the system. Is he a man to man eraser?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it makes the LB corp weaker and the Rams cannot afford that. This trade favors the Patriots more than the Rams unless a third round pick goes to the Rams along with the rest of it, or even in lieu of this Lewis guy who I've never heard of.. Butler is a FA after this season. So it's less than a full season rental and he doesn't know the system. Is he a man to man eraser?

He's best used imo as a press man CB. It makes us weaker at LB, but I think we get stronger at stopping the run. Yea, we have to re-sign Butler, but we also shed Quinn's contract. Just give Butler the money that isn't going to Quinn.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm all for moving on from Quinn for a few reasons.

1 Injuries- I think his back is still a mess. He was in the maintenance program for a reason.

2. Contract - he is too costly too Kwe around at the production level he's at. Bad against the run and who knows I. Pass rush.

And yes, I am all for adding an experienced CB.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's best used imo as a press man CB. It makes us weaker at LB, but I think we get stronger at stopping the run. Yea, we have to re-sign Butler, but we also shed Quinn's contract. Just give Butler the money that isn't going to Quinn.

If he plays well enough that he should be resigned he's going to get WAY more than what Quinn's contract pays.

How does the Rams D get better at stopping the run?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just had a crazy thought. I know there's no chance it happens, but I thought it would be interesting to float. The Patriots are reportedly considering trading CB Malcolm Butler. They likely won't bring him back this off-season. They also need pass rushing help. We need help in our secondary. Here's my thought:
Rams Trade
OLB Robert Quinn
WR Tavon Austin
2018 Third Round Pick

Patriots Trade
CB Malcolm Butler
HB Dion Lewis
2018 Second Round Pick

Lewis replaces Lance Dunbar. Patriots get a talented gadget in Austin. Patriots get a talented pass rusher in Quinn. We get a talented cover CB in Butler. We swap picks and get the better pick because Quinn is under contract through 2019. Thoughts?

your opinion.gif

-x- work.jpg

I think we would be drastically over paying!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he plays well enough that he should be resigned he's going to get WAY more than what Quinn's contract pays.

How does the Rams D get better at stopping the run?

Robert Quinn is making $11.4 million in 2018 and $12.9 million in 2019. Butler would be getting more than that but not significantly more.

Ram65

Legend
Something is amiss with Quinn. I realize he's adjusting to a new scheme but his motor isn't the same for some reason. Perhaps he's still hurt. Both Tavon and Quinn won't be Rams next year imo. Tavon's a possibility to stick if he agrees to a restructure.

Quinn doesn't look right at all. I wonder if Bill sees that too. It's worth a shot. Quinn isn't adding to the pass rush or run support.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
With Gilmore and Rowe both going into this weekend listed as Questionable, both with groin injuries, I'm not sure it makes sense for the Cheats to get rid of a corner. Sure, it's possible for groin injuries on a CB to heal up during the season, and sure it's possible that a CB manages to not aggravate/reaggravate a groin injury during the season, just does not seem prudent to expect such.

From the Rams' POV, Butler is a guy in his walk year with a chance to win a ring and he admits he hasn't been performing at the level he should be performing at. Dude should be balling out, no excuses. Red flag to me.