1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Cosell: Blake Bortles is best QB in 2014 NFL Draft: NFL.com

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by RamBill, Mar 2, 2014.

1. RamBill Well-Known Member

UCF's Blake Bortles is the best quarterback prospect in this year's draft class, according to NFL Films producer Greg Cosell.

"I would say he's more of finesse thrower than a true power thrower at this point, but I think there's a lot to work with, with Bortles," Cosell said on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast. "I think ultimately he's a pocket passer who can execute boot action. He can extend plays and he can run effectively if that's what you want to do. So, I think that he's someone I would look to as, given time, he could be a quality NFL starter."

That's not to say Cosell doesn't see flaws in Bortles' game. Cosell likes Bortles' size (6-foot-5, 232 pounds), but said he sees issues with his footwork in the pocket and that he'll become a stronger thrower if he can correct those flaws.

Cosell is not as high on Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and seems to have an even less-favorable opinion of the other quarterback that makes up the draft's three most highly rated at the position -- Johnny Manziel.

Cosell is already on the record that he was not impressed with what he saw from Manziel late last season, and he added to the critique of Manziel's game, suggesting his freelancing style won't get him far at the next level.

"I think it's very hard in the NFL to live on the edge when you don't need to live on the edge," he said. "If you live on the edge too often, you will fall off the cliff."

As for Bridgewater, Cosell said he likes him, but doesn't think he has the "physical talent" to put a team on his back. While the former Cardinals quarterback weighed in at 214 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine, a significant increase from the weight he was believed to playing at during the 2013 season, Cosell still views size as a major weakness for Bridgewater.

"The issue with Bridgewater is he's very slight. He's not a big body," Cosell said. "He's got a good, not a great, arm. Theoretically, he could make every throw, but making every throw when you have clean pockets is different than making every throw when you don't. He doesn't really drive the ball, Bridgewater. He's a bit of a short-armer."

Cosell's comments further illustrate the conundrum facing NFL teams that will be drafting early and have a need at quarterback -- all three of the quarterbacks are intriguing talents, but they each have their flaws, too. For Cosell, Bortles seems to be the least flawed of the bunch, and the Texans, holders of the draft's No. 1 overall pick, might agree.

By Dan Parr

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...e-2014-nfl-draft?campaign=Twitter_writers_cfb

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  2. mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

He's the pick of the litter for me. That doesn't mean he's a top 10 pick, though.

Rambitious1 likes this.
  3. CGI_Ram Hamburger Connoisseur

I'm sort of surprised how the favor has turned with Bridgewater. Is it legit, or analysis paralysis?

4. Mojo Ram On double secret probation

Out of sight,out of mind. Bortles is the guy who participated the most during the combine...so the media and talking heads latched on. Bridgewater was kind of MIA.
    JMO

5. DR RAM Rams Lifer

The Rams interviewed Bortles at the combine, probably in case he slipped, or maybe just to gauge his value.

6. iced Well-Known Member

Funny how the draft works - 2 months ago everyone would have scoffed at Bortles being the #1 overall pick

7. jrry32 Well-Known Member

True. Should have seen the scoffing 5-6 months ago if you called Bortles a top 15 or 1st round pick.

iced likes this.
  8. DR RAM Rams Lifer

I remember when you said it jrry32. I hadn't even seen him play at that point.

9. CGI_Ram Hamburger Connoisseur

Jrry, where you at on the Bridgwater slide? I know you are a big fan of his.

10. laramsoriginal Active Member

Iyam

TEDDY

Bortles
    Johnny Football.

11. jrry32 Well-Known Member

My opinion hasn't changed. I base it on what I see and from what I saw, I believe in the kid. Nitpick what you(media and others) will but a slight build isn't going to stop the kid from succeeding neither will short arming the ball. When you watch Bridgewater play, it stands out immediately how poised, intelligent and accurate he is. Those are the things that make a QB special...not a super human arm or 260 pounds of pure muscle. Those are great attributes to have but when it really comes down to it, a QB is going to succeed because of his technical polish, mental acuity and football skill. Peyton Manning's arm at this point is beyond underwhelming and he just rewrote the NFL record books.

Joe Montana was no giant and yet many consider him the best to ever play. I could go on...and I'm not saying Bridgewater is Manning or Montana. I'm just saying that the mistake people are making is judging a book by the cover. IMO, if you truly break down Bridgewater's game, he's a strong prospect. There's just not a lot to nitpick...and the things you have kind of sound silly when you think about what typically will stop a QB from succeeding.

I've never heard of a QB busting due to a slight frame despite having all the requisite accuracy, pocket presence, IQ, etc.

Yea. Bortles is kind of my ego booster. I identified him extremely early on(last year after his bowl game) and was basically told by some of the guys that work in the media as draft experts that I was wrong. I was jumping the gun. Sometimes, you just know. Not to sound too arrogant but I have a pretty good eye for seeing talent. And Bortles immediately stood out. So I stuck to my guns and basically told them that I'd man up if I was wrong but that I thought he was a first round lock based on the talent he had. Guaranteed he'd go first round when he declared for the draft.

Glad I don't have to eat crow. ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  12. DR RAM Rams Lifer

Teddy has a female type body, he's going to get crushed in the NFL, unless he's gumby like. He has all the skills to be good, and probably the most ready to play right now....think Matthews at tackle.

I don't know if I've ever seen a QB as slight as him, or I can't think of one. Like jrry32 said, maybe Montana, but Montana didn't even seem as slight.

13. CGI_Ram Hamburger Connoisseur

Manziel is more slight of frame.

14. DR RAM Rams Lifer

Look at their respective shoulder widths. That's what I'm mainly referring to.

There are a lot of questions about this whole group. If I were GM, and I haven't done a ton of work on the top QB's. I'm looking more at the mid round guys, I think I'd take Bortles.

15. Mojo Ram On double secret probation

Jake Plummer did pretty good.

DR RAM likes this.
  16. DR RAM Rams Lifer

I'm not even saying he's going to do bad. I hope he does well, and teams love him, but when you see him in a tee shirt, you'd never guess he was a football player. On film, he's the best QB in the draft.

17. DR RAM Rams Lifer

Don't get me started on all of Johnny Football's question marks, lol.

18. Mojo Ram On double secret probation

I'm not disagreeing with you Doc. I'll be the first to admit that i have no clue how to judge how a QB would transition into the NFL. Plummer was a guy who came to mind that was built like a deer that had a nice career.

19. DR RAM Rams Lifer

And I'm not damning him either, just putting some of my own observations out there. I like the Plummer comparison. Let me put it this way...I'm glad we don't need a franchise QB this year. I do like some of the developmental guys out there for us though. So, it's a win-win for us, in that respect, but I think Clowney is going to be the guy that teams will try to move for, or one of the top two tackles.

Mojo Ram likes this.
  20. Elmgrovegnome Well-Known Member

Not surprising.