Cornerbacks-Safeties Roster Battles for 2016.. take a peek

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I didn't know Coty's story... http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/coty-sensabaugh?id=2532946
keep an eye on this guy...
Troy Hill had a great cover game in the Pac-12, I really liked him...Great pickup...
My safeties:
TJ McDonald, Mo Alexander, Brian Randolph (this guy has GAME), and....and...though call.
Christian Bryant can ball....and can really hit. I was calling him the human missile last year....Great Find! Snisher knows DB's...I couldn't see cutting him.....Now boni says Cody Davis signed a two year deal...really? Well that's 5 right there....
Corners....just as hard after Tru Johnson, EJ Gaines, Coty Sensabaugh, Roberson, and Joyner....we allowed 68% completions? Really??? Need to tighten up....seriously...I like Hill....but the guy from Bama....and Jordan too tough to call without seeing them play...on a hunch...I'd keep an extra corner....4 or 5 safeties...5 or 6 corners...depending on how they play in the preseason....

should be fun
Yep here's the info on the near 3 million $$$ Cody Davis deal signed earlier this year.(y)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cody-davis/
Cody Davis signed a 2 year, $2,916,666 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $805,555 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,458,333. In 2016, Davis will earn a base salary of $750,000 and a roster bonus of $555,555. Davis has a cap hit of $1,305,555 while his dead money value is $805,555.

If I had to guess the 10 DB's this early it would look like the below:
CB-Johnson/ Sensabaugh
CB-Gaines/ Roberson
NK-Joyner/ Jordan
SS-McDonald/ Alexander
FS-Davis/ Randolph
Practice Squad-CB Troy Hill

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Of the veterans, only Bryant, Hill, and maybe Gaines and Roberson have practice squad eligibility left. Only Hill would have a chance of not being picked up/claimed by some other. Keeping more than 10 DBs is not likely. They could go with only 9 DBs. Here how I break out the 53 man roster with 10 DBs. Assumes no injuries or player suspensions:

Special Teams (3):

Hekker, Greg Z and McQuaide.​

Offense (26)

Qbs(3): Goff, Keenum & Manion. Foles is non factor if you put Manion on Practice Squad he is gone. Will only gamble with 2 QBs if they do not think Manion is the long term backup after this year.

OL (9): Greg Robinson, Roger Staffold, Tim Barnes, Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein, Darrell Williams, Garrett Reynolds & Isiah Battle are favorites to me. Demetrius Rhaney, Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal & Eric Kush will fight for the last slot which will likely go to who is the best center/guard combo.

RB (4): Gurley, Mason, & Cunningham are favorites. Chase Reynolds & Malcom Brown are fighting for the last slot. Will depend if Brown can replace Reynolds on special teams.

WR (6): Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Mike Thomas(R), Tavon Austin & Pharoh Cooper(R) are favorites to me. Bradley Marquez, Duke Williams, Paul McRoberts Nelson Spruce are fighting for the last slot.

TE(4): Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey, Tyler Higbee(R), & Temarrick Hemingway(R) are favorites. Justice Cunningham & Zack Laskey are fighting Hemingway for the last slot. I like Hemingway due his receiving & blocking and his ability to replace Higbee who has not made a full year in 3 years.

Defense (24)

DE(4): Robert Quinn, Eugene Sims, William Hayes, Quinton Coples. Matt Longacre is odd man out.

DT(4): Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Ethan Westbrooks, Dominique Easley. Louis Trinca-Pasat and Doug Worthington appear to be odd men out.

LBs(6): Akeem Ayers, Alex Ogletree, Mark Barron are locks. Josh Forrest(R), Zack Hodges, Bryce Hager, Mathew Wells, Cameron Lynch, Nicholas Grigsby, Brandon Chubb, Corey Littleton are in the mix for the the last 3 spots depending on special teams ability & how they fit into the scheme as WOLB, MLB & SOLB or their ability to play 2 of the 3 positions.

CBs(5): Trumaine Johnson, EJ Gaines, Coty Sensabaugh, Lamarcus Joyner and Marcus Roberson are locks. Troy Hill & Michael Jordan are fighting for the last CB spot if they keep 5.

SS/FS (5): T.J. McDonald, Maurice Alexander, Christian Byrant, & Cody Davis are favorites. Brian Randolph & Jordan Lomax are fighting for the last safety slot as well as fighting for the last db slot with Hill and Jordon.
Last thoughts, I would like to keep 9 DL and & 7 LBs. To do that you need to keep 9 DBs and only 2 QBs. Tough choices if everyone remains healthy. Lots of competition, will be fun to see how it shakes out.

THAT is a damned fine roster projection pre camp, Orchid.

Clearly, there's gonna be some Excruciating cuts come September.

Gonna kill me to see Longacre cut, for example. Some of those WR's, LB's, and CB's, too.

But we HAVE to carry 3 QB's, don't we?

Only 9 OL is kinda scary, especially with Saffold.

But what can you do? 53 just isn't enough spots considering the talent now on this roster, is it?

Again, outstanding roster projection based on pre camp information, man.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
When was the last time other teams signed Rams cuts? A lot of Rams cuts this Sept. are gonna be snapped up by other teams. Rams finally have some depth. In years past, if you got cut by the Rams, you were out of football. Shows that Snisher has done well addressing depth.

FrankenRam

Starter
You can't argue with his locks to make the team. Who now would argue that Tru, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson, tjmac and Mo aren't 100% locks to make the team?

If there's anyone in that bunch who I'd say might be less than a 100% lock, it would be Roberson. He improved a lot last yr, but unless I'm thinking of someone else, his tackling skills were sorely lacking previously.

I'd put him in the 80% range. It will take another CB looking pretty studly to beat him out probably, but it can be done.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When was the last time other teams signed Rams cuts? A lot of Rams cuts this Sept. are gonna be snapped up by other teams. Rams finally have some depth. In years past, if you got cut by the Rams, you were out of football. Shows that Snisher has done well addressing depth.

Excellent post @bubbaramfan I can remember under GM Billy Devaney and Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo the Rams were picking up players that were released by other teams come September that would be a shock if they did.

IMO unless you had injuries that hit one area of the team come September, if you have to pick up players that were released usually that is not a good sign. Last season the depth on the offensive line was a good example, many eyebrows were raised when the Rams kept 11 offensive linemen, however, they lost many to injury, Brown, Williams, Donnal and of course, wait for it, Rodger Saffold.

The depth was tested, but Battle was on the practice squad and Garrett Reynolds and RG Cody Wichmann played extremely well in the last quarter of the season which will serve them well coming into this season.

No debating that Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have improved the talent immensely since 2012 and with the selection of Jared Goff, it is not time to start winning more games then they lose because Ram fans have endured and we lost some great fans for obvious reasons so now let the bandwagon begin by going out there and blowing teams off the line of scrimmage.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But we HAVE to carry 3 QB's, don't we?
Not necessarily.....If we could possibly trade Nick & Case.....Or probably more likely...trade one and keep Mannion on PS all year...nobody's grabbing that guy....

Yep here's the info on the near 3 million $$$ Cody Davis deal signed earlier this year.(y)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cody-davis/
Cody Davis signed a 2 year, $2,916,666 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including $805,555 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,458,333. In 2016, Davis will earn a base salary of $750,000 and a roster bonus of $555,555. Davis has a cap hit of $1,305,555 while his dead money value is $805,555.
Oh lord:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:....:((n):confused::eek::eek::oops::oops::thinking::thinking:

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Oh lord:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:....:((n):confused::eek::eek::oops::oops::thinking::thinking:
Why the displeasure with Cody?

When your a fully healthy young fast deep safety with 43 NFL games under his belt with lots of NFL game action on ST's & Nickle & Dime defenses over 3 seasons your going to get paid well as a UFA on some team somewhere. Fisher had just lost his last 3 seasons starting FS to UFA'cy too....it would be a good ideal to secure for 2 seasons, your only reserve of that departed FS, would it not? Plus they lost their starting CB since 2012 too in JJ. Cody knows this defense inside out & will provide comfort to the coaches with the new boatload of new hired safeties inserted on this roster.I would consider it unwise to loose all three in FA'cy if you could.

They made a good decision IMO in retaining Cody for a good low ball price. Your guy Bryant will enter free agency in March next yr. Bryant contributed little on ST's last season but he did have 2 solo's tacks. I still believe we will be using a ton of safeties in Gregg's defense this upcoming season so Fisher will keep @ least five on his master roster.
Only 9 OL is kinda scary, especially with Saffold.
I would consider that number of the OL cadre on the opening season 53 player roster much more than "kinda scary" but pure insanity when you have invested all you have on this earth, your NFL career & future top draft selections on one QB. Boudreau consistently had a 10 OL cadre unit on the player roster all season long. I would not think that will change any this season either. But as we know Saffold is a full time future active walking injured reserve OL'er so the OL cadre will always be @ 10 with a Saffold here.

Currently they have 16 OL'ers signed:
Garrett Reynolds 28/8 LG
Tim Barnes 28/5 C

David Arkin 28/2 C/G
Rodger Saffold 27/5 G/LT IR'd
Frank Kush 26/4 C
Rob Havenstein 24/2 RT
Andrew Donnal 24/2 RT
Cody Wichmann 24/2 RG
Demetrius Rhaney 23/3 C
Greg Robinson 23/3 LT
Isaiah Battle 23/2 LT
Jamon Brown 23/2 LG IR'd
Darrell Williams 22/2 Swing OT IR'd
Brian Folkerts 26/4 C/G
Jordan Swindle 22/R Swing OT
Pace Murphy 21/R RG

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I haven't read the whole post....but before I forget
Why the displeasure with Cody?
My history with Cody....Like a lot of Ram picks, I can usually see them coming...and Cody running a 4.3 at his pro day had him on my radar....When he was grabbed as an udfa l was thrilled....then I watch these guys like a stalker when they're on the field....Cody has 4.3 speed right, and a big test of mine is how fast does a player show up on the screen on special teams kicks...who's flying to the ball? and guess who I always notice ass grabbing it??? it's an old pet peeve of mine...fast guys should play fast....the next big chance for him was when he was starting...I'll never forget how K. Davis from the Chiefs ran him over...and concussed Cody... I'll give Cody this...I do believe he is a ball hawk in practice but you must be a sure tackler at FS....and play the pass....You tackle more than you defend passes....
I still like TJ, Mo, Christian Bryant, and Randolph a lil better at FS....and mostly cause I know we need a sure tackler at FS first....

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
It sure will. It's nice when there are 3-4 worthy guys at every position to fill out the last spots. Competition brings out greatness. (Plus it covers for inevitable injuries)

It sure beats the days when our starters were good-ok, our backups were so-so, and our camp bodies were...well, Junior college back-up players.

Amen bro - and this is why I love Fisher, and wanted him to get, (and am glad he got), his 5 year rebuild.
In a passing league, and despite most pundits' (aka bloggers) contention that our secondary has taken a serious hit, I think it'll be as good as, maybe even better than last year.
JJ was a hit, but McLeod, (who everybody NOW loves - didn't see much of that previously), can be replaced. Obviously need EJ to be what we think he can.

Back to your point, (OT a bit, not trying to hijack this), still mixed feelings about JF's future. Want him extended - 2 years - but with 8 or less wins, would support his being replaced.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I would consider that number of the OL cadre on the opening season 53 player roster much more than "kinda scary" but pure insanity when you have invested all you have on this earth, your NFL career & future top draft selections on one QB. Boudreau consistently had a 10 OL cadre unit on the player roster all season long. I would not think that will change any this season either. But as we know Saffold is a full time future active walking injured reserve OL'er so the OL cadre will always be @ 10 with a Saffold here.

Currently they have 16 OL'ers signed:
Garrett Reynolds 28/8 LG
Tim Barnes 28/5 C

David Arkin 28/2 C/G
Rodger Saffold 27/5 G/LT IR'd
Frank Kush 26/4 C
Rob Havenstein 24/2 RT
Andrew Donnal 24/2 RT
Cody Wichmann 24/2 RG
Demetrius Rhaney 23/3 C
Greg Robinson 23/3 LT
Isaiah Battle 23/2 LT
Jamon Brown 23/2 LG IR'd
Darrell Williams 22/2 Swing OT IR'd
Brian Folkerts 26/4 C/G
Jordan Swindle 22/R Swing OT
Pace Murphy 21/R RG

Based on your comments, I looked up the number of slots various positions had on the past 4 of Fisher's 53 man roster. OL had a low of 8 (they just signed Thomas and Wells) and a high of 10 in 2013 and 2015. 2014 they had 9.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Based on your comments, I looked up the number of slots various positions had on the past 4 of Fisher's 53 man roster. OL had a low of 8 (they just signed Thomas and Wells) and a high of 10 in 2013 and 2015. 2014 they had 9.

Well just to help you out a bit not that you want me to from our contact here with you in the past....this very creditable site indicates 10 on the opening 2014 season same as 2015. I did not count @ any time the LS that was included in these lists.

My investigation concluded with the following results:
2012 11 OL'ers initially.
http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/st-louis-rams/roster/2012?sort=pos

2013 9 OL'ers initially
http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/st-louis-rams/roster/2013?sort=pos

2014 10 OL'ers initially
http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/st-louis-rams/roster/2014?sort=pos

2015 10 Ol'ers initially
http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/st-louis-rams/roster/2015?sort=pos

As we know the roster does vary from time to time but IMO it looks to me to be close to a constant 10 OL'ers for Fisher & Boudreau to open the season with to me. I could not find any Fisher opening season Ram rosters from 2012 to 2015 with only 8 OL'ers. I also could not find any Ram OL'er named Thomas but I did find a Robert Turner who was counted in the 11 number in 2012. Turner was signed with Scott Wells back early in 2012 & started several games @ center for Wells.

The 2012 season where you & I are far off on the exact numbers. So I took the time to list the opening season lineup as best as I know, but we should recall there were some serious injuries early that may have caused some of the issues:
2012 opening season OL'ers
OLT-Saffold/Hunter
OLG-Turner/Ojinnaka
OC-Wells/Barnes
ORG-Dahl/Smith/Watkins
ORT-Richardson/Barksdale

Turner & Richardson were the only two who started all 16 games. Turner started @ OLG & very quickly replaced Wells @ OC. OLG Watkins, OLT Saffold & ORG Dahl ended up on the IR. Later Chris Williams & Ty Nsekhe replaced 2 of the 3 IR'd OL'ers. OLG Quinn Ojinnaka was released after 6 horrible games. I do know that there was a period of time in 2012 when Boudreau only had 6 healthy OL'ers & the OL cadre @ one time did total only 8 OL'ers but that early midseason not initially.

Last edited: