Cornerback Johnson eager to get back on the field

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Cornerback Johnson eager to get back on the field
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7345f56f-3b96-541d-b8d3-8a20c0ac2f39.html

For Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson, the wait is nearly over.

Johnson, a returning starter selected in the third round of the 2012 draft, went down with a knee injury in the Rams’ preseason victory over the Browns in Cleveland on Aug. 23 and has been working his way back ever since. After full participation in practice Thursday and Friday, he is probable for Sunday’s game against the San Francisco 49ers at Levi’s Stadium.

“I’m feeling great, feeling a little better every day,’’ the 26-year-old Johnson said following Friday’s workout. “I’m excited and anxious to play again. The toughest part, to be honest with you, is probably getting my conditioning back. It’s been a while since I’ve had any live reps.

“When you’re injured, you have to have patience. I’m trying to stay positive, knowing that when the time is right, I’ll get my chance. Like I said, I’m excited, especially about going back to California and being in front of my family. I guess we’ll see how things go on game day.’’

Both Rams head coach Jeff Fisher and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams are looking forward to getting Johnson back.

“We’re encouraged,’’ Fisher said, referring to Johnson’s work in practice this week. “He’ll help in the matchups against the bigger receivers. ... He’s progressively improved. ... It may take a couple weeks to get back in the swing of things, (but) we’ll be able to use him at some point in the game.’’

At 6 feet 2 and 208 pounds, Johnson is by far the biggest of the Rams’ cornerbacks. In 32 career games, including 12 starts a year ago, he has 87 tackles, 19 pass defenses and five interceptions.

“I need to see him,’’ Williams said. “I haven’t had a chance to be in very many games with him yet, live games, (but) he’s played well here for a couple of years. A healthy Trumaine will add to the mix and give us a chance to play a little more man-to-man in situations. He’s got good awareness, good range. He’s one of those guys that can run as well as he runs but yet he’s a tall guy. You don’t have many guys like that in the league.

“He’s progressing well, so we’ll see what Jeff decides to do on game day.’’

MORE INJURY NEWS

The Rams split time Friday, following up on an outdoor walk-through with an indoor practice.

“We needed to throw (and) we needed to kick, so we came in,’’ Fisher said. “Kind of flipped it. You usually have the walk-through inside and then go outside. We had a good day.’’

The team, which made 18 roster moves this week to deal with injuries, seemed to get healthier as the week progressed. On Friday, the only player unable to practice was starting cornerback Janoris Jenkins, who hurt his knee in the victory over Seattle but returned to finish the Oct. 19 contest. He sat out last weekend’s game in Kansas City and did not practice at all this this week. He’s listed as questionable, as are safety Rodney McLeod (knee), linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (toe) and defensive tackle Aaron Donald (shoulder).

All were limited in practice Friday.

“I can’t say with precision who could play right now and who can’t,’’ Fisher said. “We may even have some pregame warm-up decisions early Sunday.’’

Listed as probable after going through full workouts Friday were defensive end William Hayes (foot), guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder), centers Scott Wells (elbow) and Tim Barnes (shoulder), wide receiver Kenny Britt (hip), safety Cody Davis (concussion), defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (hip) and cornerbacks Marcus Roberson (ankle) and Johnson (knee).

For San Francisco, linebacker Patrick Willis (toe) and cornerback Tramaine Brock (toe) were limited in practice Friday and listed as questionable for Sunday, while safety Jimmie Ward (quadriceps) and cornerback Chris Culliver (hamstring) are probable after going through full practices on Friday.

HEKKER-HARBAUGH CONNECTION

Rams punter Johnny Hekker has a unique relationship with 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh. At Oregon State, Hekker roomed with Harbaugh’s son, Jay.

“Jay’s one of my best friends,’’ Hekker said. “We roomed together as freshmen in the dorms; he was a coaching assistant and I was a walk-on punter. From there, we moved into a townhouse with four or five other guys and ended up living together for four years.’’

Jay Harbaugh is in his third season as an offensive assistant coach for the Baltimore Ravens, where his uncle John is the head coach.

“Jay worked his butt off at Oregon State; he’s a guy I think you’ll see continue to climb the coaching ranks,’’ Hekker said. “He’s nowhere near as intense as his dad — Jay’s not a screamer, he’s a little more reserved — but he’s every bit as passionate about football.’’

Because he was busy coaching at Stanford and later in San Francisco, Jim Harbaugh didn’t make many visits to to see his son in Corvallis. On Sunday, there’s a good chance Hekker and the San Francisco coach will meet up.“I don’t see him as this big, scary coach,’’ Hekker said. “He’s just Jay’s dad.’’