computer question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
My computer has been warning me of a possible failure. I think it is the hard drive that is possbly/probably going bad.

When I open the program to check on impending SMART event it says
SATA disk on Controller0, Port0: at risk smart event.

My question is would this be the hard drive? And how hard would it be to change out on my own? I have limited computer knowledge, but am pretty mechanically inclined. It seems like it wouldnt be to hard. Would I just back up the system to a cd than replace hard drive and use a start up disc to open windows and install the back up disc and then install what was backed up?

Attachments

• 20170918_071751.jpg
    20170918_071751.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 151

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My computer has been warning me of a possible failure. I think it is the hard drive that is possbly/probably going bad.

When I open the program to check on impending SMART event it says
SATA disk on Controller0, Port0: at risk smart event.

My question is would this be the hard drive? And how hard would it be to change out on my own? I have limited computer knowledge, but am pretty mechanically inclined. It seems like it wouldnt be to hard. Would I just back up the system to a cd than replace hard drive and use a start up disc to open windows and install the back up disc and then install what was backed up?
It's pretty easy to install a new one. Just unscrew/unplug it and screw/plug the other one in.
Backing up the existing one is pretty easy too. Get a dock for like $30 or $40 and plug your hard drive into it.
You can then transfer anything you need onto your new hard drive with a USB cord.

View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UA3I72/?tag=hotoge-20

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's pretty easy to install a new one. Just unscrew/unplug it and screw/plug the other one in.
Backing up the existing one is pretty easy too. Get a dock for like $30 or $40 and plug your hard drive into it.
You can then transfer anything you need onto your new hard drive with a USB cord.

View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UA3I72/?tag=hotoge-20
Thanks, I thought it should be pretty straight forward. Guess I have a new project to get done before Sunday.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanx again @-X- , I am now surfing the net on a new hard drive. No more warning about eminent failure, only took 30 mins to clone old drive to new one, and I didnt have to reinstall windows plus all my passwords are stored so I dont have to reset them all, cause I dont remember most of them.