Colts will regret Richardson trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...trade-rb-trent-richardson-making-indy-problem

Just over a month ago, the sky was supposedly falling in Cleveland.

That's because the Browns had traded running back Trent Richardson, the third overall selection in the 2012 NFL draft, to the Indianapolis Colts in a move that many deemed sheer lunacy. The belief at the time was that Cleveland was giving up its best offensive weapon, a player who should be the bedrock of the franchise.

Now the only criticisms that can be heard are coming from Indianapolis, where Richardson remains the disappointing talent the Browns had the good sense to deal.

It's not that Richardson is a bad player. It's just that he's not an exceptional one.

He has yet to gain more than 60 yards in any of his five games with the Colts. He's had 75 carries during that time and produced all of 228 yards, which is a worse yards-per-attempt average than he generated in his first two games with Cleveland this season (3.04 compared to 3.39). Richardson scored the first two touchdowns of his season while in Indianapolis, but more people likely recall his critical fumble late in the Colts' upset win over Denver on Oct. 20.

As much as optimists in Indianapolis preach the importance of patience when faced with these facts, it's becoming hard to see the upside in a player who was supposed to be special and cost the Colts a first-round pick.

"We were getting killed when we made that deal, but now people are seeing the same things we saw in him," one Browns source said. "There is a lot to like about Trent. He's solid, dependable, hard-working. The problem is that he's not explosive."

That final indictment is the biggest reason Colts fans should be concerned about their new franchise running back moving forward. Richardson has logged 373 carries in his two-year career. Only 20 of those rushing attempts have ended in a run longer than 10 yards, which ranks him 32nd among all running backs since the start of the 2012 season. Richardson also has failed to be the perfect counterpart to quarterback Andrew Luck on a team that was hoping to balance its offense with a dominant power-running component.

AP Photo / Trent Richardson has failed to impress in five
games with the Colts, averaging a paltry 3.04 yards per
carry, with just two touchdowns.

The Colts had the idealistic notion that Luck -- who threw 627 passes last season as a rookie -- would make life easier for Richardson. All of those Browns fans who balked at the trade believed that Richardson wasn't becoming a star in Cleveland because the team had nothing else around him. They didn't see a running back who rushed for 950 yards last season because that was the best he could do. They viewed Richardson as a promising talent who had the misfortune of facing eight- and nine-man fronts every time he lined up for the Browns.

Well, Richardson isn't seeing too many stacked boxes in Indianapolis these days. He's also not the only player in this league who has to deal with defenses designed to stop him. Minnesota's Adrian Peterson has seen that throughout his seven-year career, and he ran for 2,097 yards in 2012, less than a year after he underwent reconstructive surgery for a torn ACL. Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew hasn't had much of a supporting cast around him, either. He wound up leading the league in rushing in 2011 with a career-high 1,606 yards.

The issue with Richardson is that he's mostly effective in situations where his team needs tough yards. As the Browns source said: "I saw him score on a 1-yard touchdown in his first game there (a 27-7 win over San Francisco) and the announcer said that was why the Colts traded for him. And all I could think was that play was right in Trent's wheelhouse. He'll make those plays for you all day. But when you need seven yards, he'll still get you three."

There already have been several theories offered as to why Richardson has continued to struggle on a better team. Some have suggested that he's trying too hard to make something happen. Others suspect he's overthinking things or simply struggling to fit in with a new offensive line. Those people still think of Richardson as the same talent he was touted to be after leaving Alabama. They don't want to believe they possibly could be wrong.

In reality, it's hard to think Alabama didn't make Richardson look better than he really was. He played with three offensive linemen in college who were selected in this year's draft – including first-round picks D.J. Fluker and Chance Warmack – and it's not like he's the first Crimson Tide runner to disappoint in the NFL. Richardson split time with Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram at Alabama. That would be the same Mark Ingram who has 1,107 career rushing yards since the New Orleans Saints selected him with the 28th overall pick in the 2011 draft.

The only defense Ingram has at this stage of his career is opportunity. The Saints have enough talent in their backfield -- with Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles in the mix -- one could argue that a crowded depth chart has factored into Ingram's lack of production. On the other hand, another former Alabama runner, Green Bay rookie Eddie Lacy, has gained 446 yards this season and launched himself into the early conversation for offensive rookie of the year honors. He's already proven what some scouts thought about him when he entered the draft -- that he could be better than both Ingram and Richardson in the long run.

The big question the Colts now face is whether Richardson can elevate his game in the second half of this season. Indianapolis already lost one huge offensive weapon when Pro Bowl wide receiver Reggie Wayne tore his ACL against Denver, so it's fair to assume the Colts will need more from their running game. If Richardson really does have star potential, this is the time to start showing it. But if what we've seen so far is any indication, nobody in Indianapolis should be raising their hopes too high.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Remember all the media experts who said what great move it was for the Colts? Peter King, Balzer, Venturi, Eisen, the list goes on and on.

The only guy I remember who said it was a bad move for Indy was Prisco.

I wouldn't trade Stacy for TRich now.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Remember all the media experts who said what great move it was for the Colts? Peter King, Balzer, Venturi, Eisen, the list goes on and on.

The only guy I remember who said it was a bad move for Indy was Prisco.

I wouldn't trade Stacy for TRich now.
There are a lot of backs in the league I wouldn't trade for Stacy right now , he is the "explanation" as to why we didn't consider TR, Cleveland MUST be so relieved to have recovered a 1st round pick for him,like waking up from a bad drunk next to a coyote ugly chick and discovering you passed out before she could deflower you:heh:
The comparisons Stacy is getting to MJD are valid IMO , and some astute poster here, honestly I dunno WHO made the observation that he was a very productive playing a lot of the same defenses TR played against in college with nothing close to the blocking, it has changed my whole outlook on RBs .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Still need to give it some time IMO. Colts OL more a pass protection than aggressive run blockers and that is where the Colts need to make their improvements is the offensive line. Once they do that Richardson might turn the corner, but his issue will be durability and that is one of the main reasons the Browns traded him because he always seem to have some type of ailment.

Let's see what the Browns do with the pick their history has not been very good to this point and I would like to give Richardson a tad more time before I judge the trade.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This was a pretty telling statement:

"We were getting killed when we made that deal, but now people are seeing the same things we saw in him," one Browns source said. "There is a lot to like about Trent. He's solid, dependable, hard-working. The problem is that he's not explosive."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Still need to give it some time IMO. Colts OL more a pass protection than aggressive run blockers and that is where the Colts need to make their improvements is the offensive line. Once they do that Richardson might turn the corner, but his issue will be durability and that is one of the main reasons the Browns traded him because he always seem to have some type of ailment.

Let's see what the Browns do with the pick their history has not been very good to this point and I would like to give Richardson a tad more time before I judge the trade.

I tend to agree.

I'm not sure Richardson will be worth that 1st rounder... but it's too early to judge. He's learning their offense. Lots of moving parts.

That said; I agree with other comments made... I think we may have found something in Stacy. I love his running style. There are a lot of unknowns around him, however (Pead and Cunningham).

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My only concern with Zac Stacy to this point is, can you hold week in & week out? His running style taking hits head on and seems to have been on the injury report since he arrived from Vanderbilt. IMO you draft a bigger back & continue pounding the football. Carlos Hyde of Ohio State would be a great addition to the Rams and the last time Fisher had a big back from Ohio State he rode him to the Super Bowl.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

I think you can judge the trade regardless of what the Browns do with the pick. The question is whether TR is worth a first round pick or not? Based on his production over a year and a half, the answer is no. I don't think you need more time to evaluate a RB. They don't get more explosive with time. It's probably the most instinctual position in football.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think you can judge the trade regardless of what the Browns do with the pick. The question is whether TR is worth a first round pick or not? Based on his production over a year and a half, the answer is no. I don't think you need more time to evaluate a RB. They don't get more explosive with time. It's probably the most instinctual position in football.

Max it will be judged on what the Browns do with the pick and again IMO the Colts OL is not very strong at the point of attack and a weakness on the team. However, you could be right about Richardson, but I would like to see more of him before I give the Browns the edge and it's not like the Browns have found a RB either, but you're correct to this point advantage Browns.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I doubt it. Trent is not a speedster...he'll get you those 3-5 yards each down and is a TD machine...a lot of teams would like to have him on their roster. He had a great rookie year and shows he can produce @ a high level...YPC be damned.

iced

Hard to run the ball when your o-line can't block. Colts have by far one of the worst run blocking o-lines.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Max it will be judged on what the Browns do with the pick and again IMO the Colts OL is not very strong at the point of attack and a weakness on the team. However, you could be right about Richardson, but I would like to see more of him before I give the Browns the edge and it's not like the Browns have found a RB either, but you're correct to this point advantage Browns.

den, I hear ya and concede that the trade will be judged in the final verdict by what player the Browns get. But, I like to view it from the Rams perspective. And there were a lot of Rams fans and media folks who were willing to give up one of our "extra" first rounders for TRich. Just curious, were you one of them?

jap

Legend
Jim Brown was not impressed with Trent even before he was drafted by his Browns. (Of course, Big Bad Jim doesn't get impressed easily. :heh:)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well the fact that his backups were outperforming him made Richardson expendable, the fact that they got a first rounder was amazing, like I said when it happened the Colts got fleeced.. It was a bad pick by the previous regime especially since they traded up didn't they?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Jim Brown was not impressed with Trent even before he was drafted by his Browns. (Of course, Big Bad Jim doesn't get impressed easily. :heh:)
Yup. I remember that. Brown didn't think TR was anything special.

Lacy looks better so far. Taken 90 picks later.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Well the fact that his backups were outperforming him made Richardson expendable, the fact that they got a first rounder was amazing, like I said when it happened the Colts got fleeced.. It was a bad pick by the previous regime especially since they traded up didn't they?

Tells me Lombardi knows more than Irsay. Not surprised. I think Irsay is more luck than good.

I doubt it. Trent is not a speedster...he'll get you those 3-5 yards each down and is a TD machine...a lot of teams would like to have him on their roster. He had a great rookie year and shows he can produce @ a high level...YPC be damned.

Richardson has 49% of his carries for 2 yards or less this season, compared to the top 10 yardage leaders that ranks 10th, only Matt Forte has more with 52%, in comparison 35% of Stacy's runs have been for 2 yards or less, which would be best among the ten.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Maybe GM's should use my golden draft rule: Never draft an Alabama running back, their line should get the credit more than the RB's.

jjab360

Legend
Richardson has logged 373 carries in his two-year career. Only 20 of those rushing attempts have ended in a run longer than 10 yards, which ranks him 32nd among all running backs since the start of the 2012 season.
Wow. Stacy already has 12 carries of 10 or more yards in only 76 rushing attempts.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Maybe GM's should use my golden draft rule: Never draft an Alabama running back, their line should get the credit more than the RB's.
Lacy looks good. So there's that.

The golden rule is never draft a RB high in the first round. Unless his name is Adrian Peterson or Marshall Faulk.