Coach’s challenge could include personal fouls by 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...allenge-could-include-personal-fouls-by-2015/

Coach’s challenge could include personal fouls by 2015
Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2014

Patriots coach Bill Belichick believes that coaches should be able to use the red flag to challenge any and all rulings on the field. While the NFL isn’t ready to go completely in that direction, coaches could soon be able to challenge one specific type of play that isn’t currently reviewable.

Per a league source, momentum is building for allowing coaches to challenge personal fouls.

The thinking is that personal fouls would become reviewable only via the coach’s challenge, and not automatically.

The potential expansion would come in the offseason, most likely at the annual meetings in March or during the May ownership meetings.

Both New England and Washington have been lobbying aggressively for coaches to have the ability to challenge more rulings via the red flag that gets thrown onto the field. At some point, coaches perhaps would indeed have the ability to challenge anything and everything, with maybe another challenge or two to be used per game.

Don’t be surprised if, as an initial step, the coaches have the ability to challenge personal fouls. Eventually, that could expand to other types of currently non-reviewable calls.

Walter

Rookie
First time I agree with Bill Belichick. Maybe..... Might slow things down a little more, it would of been great is Fisher could have challenged that defensive holding penalty or roughing the quarterback against Dallas.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Been wanting this for a long time, can't wait!!

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The biggest foul in the game, is pass interference. Those can be 30+ yard plays. I want those reviewable ASAP. But this is a step in the right direction.

All penalties should be reviewable too. Especially ones that give the other team a first down.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think defensive holding is the biggest bull shit penalty in the game. If it 4th and 20 and the defense gets a holding call 10 yards down the field. It's an automatic first down? Why wouldn't it just be 10 yards and a repeat of the down? Unless it's 3rd and 8 or something then it would be a first. I just think it's frustrating to watch your defense work there ass off on 1st and 2nd down and then because they hold it's an automatic first down. It's dumb.

iced

i hate the idea of only 2 or 3 challenges - you should have them until they run out of timeouts.. coaches aren't wasteful with these and there has been a ton of terrible calls that i think would make this necessary

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First time I agree with Bill Belichick. Maybe..... Might slow things down a little more, it would of been great is Fisher could have challenged that defensive holding penalty or roughing the quarterback against Dallas.
I doubt it would slow the game down much more than all the Damned Flags they're throwing now!:D

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Coaches should be able to challenge any penalty call. That way the refs don't have the power to manipulate the game. Even small penalties like offsides could change the outcome of close games.

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
Lol!!!! I was thinking the exact same thing. A Rams fan agreeing with Belicheat? Who would have thought it?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too many flags already...I say every ref starts out with 5 in his pocket. Once they're gone, all he can do is advise....

iced

It baffles me that the NFL refuses to pay for a full time ref crew - to get people who's career jobs in and out are knowing the rule book..I sincerely bet we'd get higher quality games and less controversial ones (a lot of blunders seem to include Hochuli's crew)

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams will reap the benefits maybe more than any other team. The "curse" will be lifted!

RamWoodie

Legend
When you clearly see penalties that are NOT penalties...ala the blow to the QBs head...and holding (both against the Rams against Dallas). which gave Dallas first downs...those should be able to be challenged.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
EVERY FUCKING THING should be reviewable. Technology allows for it now where as in the past it wasn't really possible.

Getting the call right should be the most important thing. Period.

Irish

Starter
I understand not wanting "robot umpires" in baseball. baseball is a game defined by its nuances. The little eccentricities of one umpire to another add something to the game itself.

I will never understand why a modern game like the NFL does not have a robot referee. So many cameras, so many angles, and the fact that 70,000 people in an arena and 17 Million eyeballs watching at home can see plays better and with more accuracy than those whose responsibility it is to maintain the integrity of the game by following the letter of the law is baffling to me. It is absurd that we expect these groups of men to watch 22 moving parts moving in a blink of an eye and not miss any calls is absolutely baffling.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I doubt it would slow the game down much more than all the Damned Flags they're throwing now!:D

yea it might even speed it up because refs wouldn't throw thier flags on nit picky fouls they would have to be realy sure so they didn't get overturned

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I understand not wanting "robot umpires" in baseball. baseball is a game defined by its nuances. The little eccentricities of one umpire to another add something to the game itself.

I will never understand why a modern game like the NFL does not have a robot referee. So many cameras, so many angles, and the fact that 70,000 people in an arena and 17 Million eyeballs watching at home can see plays better and with more accuracy than those whose responsibility it is to maintain the integrity of the game by following the letter of the law is baffling to me. It is absurd that we expect these groups of men to watch 22 moving parts moving in a blink of an eye and not miss any calls is absolutely baffling.
Yeah, it amazes me that baseball will now allow you to challenge certain umpire rulings and somehow the NFL will push back from that. I think if the NFL wants the best from its officials, add a little accountability to the piece.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
The problem is that most of the bad penalties aren't personal fouls. This isn't gonna solve anything for hands to the face, def. holding, missed offensive holding, etc.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Figures that Belichek is the one who steps up and is leading the charge with this thing.
Belichek could light the Pro football Hall of Fame on fire in broad daylight in front of Goodell and get off with a fine. Of course thats only because Bill works for Robert.