Coacho's 3 day camp report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Hope its ok to post this I found this on another website. We all love and appriciate Coacho here! Thanks Coacho for taking the time to write this!

Coach O’s 3 Day Camp Report: July 31–Aug. 2

Players not participating:Chris Long, Mark Barron, Brandon McGee, Cody Wichmann

Todd Gurley, limited to individual and minimal unit drills

EJ Gaines left practice after getting tangled up and stepped on by Kenny Britt in 1 on 1 passing drills. Did not return.

Emory Blake rolled an ankle in 1 on 1 passing drills. Returned to practice.

TJ McDonald participated in 7 on 7 drills. Limited otherwise.

This report is a summary of the weekend practices combined. I will try to share my observations on a more generalized basis.

OVERALL THEME: DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE

• Whether it be in individual drills (OL/DL) or team drills (11 on 11) it is clear the defense is dominating. They are playing FAST, and reckless.
• Gregg Williams has taken off the training wheels. Throwing a variety of looks and blitzes at a young, inexperienced Offensive Line and it almost doesn’t seem fair.
• Ogletree looks like a ProBowl OLB.

SECONDARY THEME: OFFENSE? WHERE WILL IT COME FROM?

• Passing game looks anemic
o Too early to tell? Or cause for concern?
o Foles to Cook is one of the few bright spots
o Mannion….. better than expected
o Davis/Keenum…… SIGH!!!!!!

• Running game will have to set the tone for EVERYTHING they do
• Gurley/Mason need to be dynamic for this offense to have a chance at all

Offensive Line: This is an overview look at how things shaped up thru the 3 days:

1st Unit:Robinson Saffold Barnes/Jones/Rhaney Brown Havenstien

2nd Unit: Williams Washington Jones/Rhaney/Barnes Reynolds Donnal

3rd Unit: Battle Wang Rhaney/Barnes/Jones Bond Baker

• Obviously, the Center position is set up as a rotation among the 3. They kept this pretty consistent throughout the weekend.

• On the 2nd Unit, they switched days on the Right side of the line. Friday & Sunday they had Reynolds at RG, with Donnal at RT. On Saturday, they switched sport with Reynolds at RT, Donnal at RG.

• Much has been reported about the progress of the individual drills, and how the OL has struggled, specifically the Centers. I understand the spotlight is shining brightly and focused on these three players. But there is ZERO to be taken from the 1 on 1 results when it comes to evaluating Offensive Linemen when they are in shorts and jerseys. Once the pads go on, you will see the tide turn dramatically.

o That being said, trying to judge a players impact in 1 on 1 pass blocking drills (especially interior linemen) is pointless. The key to a productive UNIT, is communication and being on the same page.

• In relation to the team drills, one thing I tend to look at in comparing the players is how does the group perform as a unit? Is there a noticeable difference in communication, and rhythm? I realize people tend to want to evaluate players INDIVIDUALLY, but in this instance, that can be futile.

• Using that as a base line for MY EVALUATIONS, its Barnes’ job to lose. While Rhaney is said to be in the mix, I will be surprised if this remains a 3 man competition after the first preseason game. It will come down to whether Barnes or Jones separates themselves and one of them grabs hold of the job

Defensive Line:

1st Unit: Hayes Brockers Donald Quinn

2nd Unit: Hayes Worthington Fairley Sims

3rd Unit: IfediWestbrooks Trinca-PasatLongacre

• With Long not available, Hayes has been taking all the 1st unit reps.
• The one guy who has stood out, is Worthington. Much bigger than expected, and has shown to be much more physical than advertised.
• Ifedi has shown flashes of potential. Trinca-Pasat and Longacre have NO CHANCE.

Linebackers:

1st Unit: OgletreeLaurinatisAyers

2nd Unit: Hager Dunbar Bates

3rd Unit:Malone Toomer McFadden

• Ogletree is playing fast, and is all over the field. Laurinaitisshows no signs of any lingering effects of last years ankle issues. Ayers appears to be an upgrade over Dunbar. He does seem to struggle in coverage, but his size and athleticism are very noticeable.

• Hager seems to have pretty good instincts, and should be a big contributor on Special teams.

• The biggest thing that stands out to me about the LB corp, in this defense, Williams is able to bring guys from anywhere and at anytime. Pressure PressurePressure is the game plan thus far. And it’s been VERY EFFECTIVE.

Defensive Backs:

1st Unit: Jenkins Johnson McDonald McLeod

2nd Unit: Roberson Gaines Davis Alexander

3rd Unit: Joyner Claiborne Hagen Bryant

• With Gaines out, Joyner manned the Nickel CB with the 1st unit. Alexander has taken most of the 11 on 11 reps with the 1st unit in McDonalds place

• While getting a ton of reps, Alexander also is getting a big dose of G. Williams’ wrath. Nary a play gets run without Williams barking at Alexander about positioning or technique. Barronneeds to get back soon.

• The one guy who flash, is Christian Bryant. One of my sleepers to make the team. Might be the best pure Free Safety on the roster.

• Jenkins looks like he is focused, and dare I say it……. Primed to be the BPOT!!!!! All the talent, and it is flashing out here daily.

Highlights:

• For the most part, the focus has been on the short passing game. Lots of crossing routes, and quick release throws to TEs and backs in the flat. When they have gone downfield, much of the success has been on seam routes to TEs.

• Defense is having their way in bringing pressure from all over the field. With the inexperience of the Offensive Line, more plays than not, would result in sacks or negative yardage if they were “live”.

• In what has become a staple in a Gregg Williams defense, giving up a ton of underneath, check down completions is expected. Then to watch the defense fly to the ball is everything. The best way to get on G Williams “radar” is to NOT close fast and limit the yards after catch. But it happens far too much not to be by design.

Quarterbacks:

Foles is very good when his first read is there, and he gets the ball out on time. He makes all the throws. Very concerned about him holding on to the ball too long and when he has to go through his progressions, to say he struggles is an understatement. He tends to get happy feet, and more times than not, forces a throw into traffic. He has thrown some BAD Interceptions in quite a few of these situation.

His obvious strengths are his size, and very good touch on the seam routes. He seems to have a comfort level with Jared Cook, and could end up being a dynamic combination as the year goes on. He is accurate on the intermediate and longer throws, but tends to be erratic on some of the shorter quick release throws.

Notice he has a tendency of double clutching when trying to find an open receiver. I was hoping to see more from him.

MANNION has been a pleasant surprise. Just has a look of confidence, and doesn’t give the impression that the stage is too big for him. The sooner he wins the #2 QB job, the better.

Keenum & Davis: The competition for the final roster spot (assuming they keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster) will come down to which one of these guys steps up and shows they can be counted on.

Keenum looks like a shorter version of Kellen Clemens, with a better arm. He can make most of the throws, but is listed at 6’1, which is generous. AT this point, IMO, he is the favorite to stick.

Davis has shown again, many of the accuracy issues that have been there in previous training camps. His best hope, IMO, is they know he is a “gamer”, in that he will make a play or two if called upon. At the same time, if they base their decision moving forward off of PRACTICE reps, his days could and should be numbered. AGAIN!

Running Backs:

Mason: Has the look of someone who knows he belongs. Quick, and more confident, he is going to make sure he is still in the plans even after Gurley is ready. Biggest thing I have noticed, is his willingness to step up in blitz pickup. Attitude and desire go along way for someone is size.

Cunningham: appears to be “thicker” and not as quick. He still has flashed when given the carries, but just doesn’t seem to have the same burst as last year.

Pead: Yes, Isaiah PEAD. Has shown up looking invigorated. Not seeing any lingering effects of the ACL injury. Is back to doing what he does on Special Teams (is taking 1st unit reps on coverage units), and still shows his athleticism out of the backfield. In what might be a surprise to many, he looks like he wants to make this roster this year.

Wide Receivers:

Britt: still looks like the “leader” of the group. He can be seen “coaching up” other guys in the unit regularly throughout practice. Has picked up where he left off last year and is a favorite target of Foles. No reason to think he won’t be as good or better than 2014.

Quick: While being “protected” (wearing a “no contact” cover on his helmet in 11 on 11 drills), he looks like he is picking up where he left off last year as well. One of the highlight catches on the first day of practice, adjusting to an underthrown ball on a deep sideline fade route, he went up and made the catch over Gaines. He just looks like he finally believes and knows he belongs.

Bailey: is quietly having a very good start to camp. Has caught everything thrown his way. Still is limited in the routes they ask him to turn, but he has shown the ability to catch the ball in traffic. Look for him to have an expanded role.

Austin: In Quick’s absence, Austin has lined up out wide the majority of his reps. Other than the quick hitches, and or bubble screens, he hasn’t made much of an impact going down field. Once again, his best bet for success, is being able to work on crossing routes, hopefully being able to get behind the LBs who will be forced to honor the running game, opening up some space on play action.

I will put together an overview of the rest of the offense & defense after the scrimmage.

OVERALL Observations: “they will be a better team if………”

• Position Competitions
o Center: Barnes wins the center job. Barrett Jones will prove to be a much more valuable asset as the primary backup at all 3 interior line spots. At this point, the depth at guard is seriously thin. Garrett Reynolds is the best option. So having Jones available at all 3 spots makes them a better team. Unless Jones is the clear winner of the center competition, they will be a better team if Barnes is the starter.

o Cornerback: Tru Johnson wins the starting CB job. With EJ Gainesfocusing on the Nickel CB job. This allows them to put the best 3 players on the field the majority of the time. Gaines is much better inside, and if Johnson gets back to his pre-injury form, they are better all around.

o Quarterback: Mannion wins the backup job. Even after 3 days, he shows much more upside than either Keenum or Davis. It’s just a matter of time before this happens officially, but the sooner the better.

o Running back: Pead wins the 3rd down back job. I know this will not be popular with the majority, but Pead is still the most athletic and talented back on the roster not named Gurley. If he can be the player they drafted him to be, they will be a better team if he beats out Cunningham for this role. (not saying it will happen, but…… don’t write him off just yet)

• INTANGIBLES:
o Coaching additions that have flown under the radar: Chris Weinke & Jeff Garcia

25aa.png
Weinke should have a major impact on the QB position. He has already shown that he is very good at communicating with the individuals QBs after each drill. His reputation as an instructor is well documented, and should be a huge asset to this staff.

25aa.png
Jeff Garcia sure looks different in BLUE & GOLD. Working with the WRs, he brings a passion to the game that is still evident. If anyone can instill how much pure “passion and desire” can make a difference in a player’s game, it would be Garcia. Working with the likes of Austin, Quick, and even Givens (while he is still here), it can only help them if they learn from his example. BTW…. He looks like he could still play. And has been seen regularly staying after practice throwing to guys getting in some extra work.

o Rob Boras: more prominent role in the offense. Impressive and very detailed oriented coach when working with the TEs, he will bring those same qualities to the Running game. He has been much more visible already in the 11 on 11 team drills, and should pay big dividends in making the transition to a “zone” vs. “power” running scheme.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Actually, Mfranke has a nice write-up on another board; would it be OK to re-post here? any Mod's object???

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL I just realized it was the same one. I thought that one was just from day one. sorry guys mods please delete. I got all excited and jumped the gun when I found it.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I always enjoyed his Ramview (long) post game reports. lol
Actually, his new camp report is formatted the same as his post game reports. MOD's: OK to repost?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Sounds like a transition to Mannion is coming sooner than later. Maybe that Foles extension needs to back burner awhile longerm

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:12 pm Post subject: RamView 7/31/15 training camp report (Long)
RamView, July 31, 2015
Training Camp Report from Rams Park

So far, so good for the opening day of training camp 2015 for the Rams. The rookie class is off to a pretty good start and practice looked pretty mistake-free. Aaron Donald still cannot be blocked by human beings and RamView is still long-winded. Are you ready for some football?

* QB: The offense was about as exciting and risk-taking the first day out as a Hillary Clinton stump speech, so no one really hurt their stock. Nick Foles got a lot of reps and worked with backups more than I remember Sam Bradford ever doing. He hit Jared Cook for one long TD 7-on-7. That was about all of 7-on-7 I watched, because they do it the same time as 1-on-1 line drills, so almost all the passing I saw was pretty short. I do like the arm Foles shows on short out routes. I never thought that throw was a strength of Bradford's, and it sure wasn't for Shaun Hill or Kellen Clemens. Foles has got better zip on that throw than I've seen in a while. Most deep balls 11-on-11 were bailout throws because, in reality, Foles would have gotten drilled by somebody. I'll only see this practice and next Friday's, so I doubt I'll see enough to decide if Foles' deep ball will be a concern. Austin Davis came out first at QB2 but that really looks like a timeshare with Case Keenum. Sean Mannion had a couple of hiccups in the final 7-on-7 drills mostly for rookies but didn't have a bad day. His release looks a little weird but he throws a good-looking ball. Sure, a lot of passes only traveled a few yards in the air, but everyone's timing looked good. I'll take it for starters.

* RB: Todd Gurley participated in position drills but not team drills. He didn't show any sign of his knee injury to me, but I think the Rams are very smart to play it safe with him so far. Tre Mason showed a little power running through some arm tackling, as did Trey Watts. I think that's a good development for Mason because he didn't have a lot of success up the middle last year and needs to improve there. Sweeps or leak-out routes for him were usually blown up, making the RB star of the day... … … oh man should I go here?... … oh, ok, Isaiah Pead. He also shows no sign of his knee injury from last year. Every rep I saw him take was good. He hit the hole quickly, used his blocks well, made himself small in the hole – he didn't get touched without making a nice gain. At a minimum, it looks like Pead will put up a good fight for a roster spot. More power to him.

* Fullbacks: Yes! A fullbacks section! Pretty disappointing blocking today in the backfield, though. Lots of blitzers got there, or would have, in 11-on-11. Bennie Cunningham, who is usually quite good at it, didn't look good in blitz pickup drills and wasn't getting his hands placed properly. Corey Harkey was disappointing, which I hate to say when he's one of my faves. Got beaten in 1-on-1 drills and had a false start 11-on-11. Justice Cunningham didn't look like he had much business doing any of this and UDFA Zach Laskey looked completely outclassed. There's a lot of work to be done here, but Bennie and Harkey stayed after practice to do some extra work, so hopefully this'll turn around quickly.

* Receivers: Jared Cook scored a long TD down the seam in 7-on-7, one of the few standout receiving plays. There were some drops, though I'd blame two of them on the QB. Kenny Britt (now wearing #18, or I'm dyslexic) couldn't come up with the ball on a deep corner route that was well underthrown. Tavon Austin (wearing #1, I don't know if that is a permanent move) couldn't make a tough semi-diving catch over the middle that I think Foles led too much. Austin made a nice gain early on off a quick screen with a shake-and-bake. The disappointing drop was Brian Quick's, who had a very nice throw go off his hands to deny a nice gain. Quick oddly played much of this practice with a special teams beanie over his helmet, maybe that's like the red jersey for QBs. He stayed and worked with Foles after practice, so again, there's hope for a quick turnaround. Farther down the depth chart, a WR who “popped” a bit was Damian Williams. He always seemed like the fastest guy downfield on special teams drills and he made a nice overhead grab in traffic in 11-on-11. Alex Bayer made a nifty intentional one-handed grab of a fastball from Mannion (I think) in 7-on-7. Again, there's a lot unseen to be making many judgments on the receiving corps. No deep game and not a lot of attempts to get it to Tavon.

* O-line: Good and bad here, which is something of an improvement because the o-line has been getting completely outclassed early in recent camps. Several of the youngsters are holding their own. I wanted to draft Jamon Brown, so I'm biased, but he looked strong in 1-on-1s against Nick Fairley and Michael Brockers. Good footwork, didn't get beaten around his shoulder and showed excellent anchor. Rob Havenstein did not fare poorly against William Hayes 1-on-1. The rookies were not the raw meat I feared they'd be for Sack City. Having said that, there were a lot of protection issues on that side 11-on-11, but enough of that was blitz-related that I'd still say both rookies had good enough first days. Robert Quinn embarrassed Greg Robinson on their first 1-on-1 rep, with just a rip and a speed move around him for an easy sack, but Robinson won the second rep just as clearly, stoning Quinn on an attempted spin move. Tim Barnes appears to be the first-string center in what's probably a three-way timeshare. I just find it so disappointing that someone besides Barnes isn't already a clear leader here. Barnes did actually hold up well one rep, but not the other, I believe against Brockers, and that's what Barnes is. He doesn't have the anchor or power to hold up at center. These guys are all lucky right now I cannot remember who Doug Worthington pancaked. Also, it's a good thing Aaron Donald is a Ram, because Rodger Saffold can not handle him. Saffold might have been the most disappointing lineman of the day. Then again, Brandon Washington looked really bad twice 1-on-1 against Louis Trinca-Pasat, who I believe scored a pancake. Time's running out on that project, and the Jamaican, Darrell Williams, who looks completely outclassed, but the Isaiah Battle Project actually didn't get off to a bad start. At backup LT, he was stacking some people up in the running game. Youth was served pretty well the first day, and Saffold only has to face Donald in practice.

* Defensive line: Some unexpected absences. Chris Long did not appear to participate in anything. I also don't remember seeing Eugene Sims. That's probably on me. The other unexplained absence is the #94 jersey, because Robert Quinn was wearing #2, and if not for his distinctive profile, I could have mistaken him for a big wideout. He looks skinny, though still lethally effective without having to expend a lot of energy. Aaron Donald picked up from his impressive rookie season, just blipping past linemen before they could get to him. Ethan Westbrooks impressed me. Hard not to when he's killing Justice Cunningham every rep 1-on-1, but I thought he was getting there 11-on-11 as well. I would have lost a lot of money in the defensive lineman pancake pool, because it wasn't Michael Brockers or Nick Fairley getting them, it was Doug Worthington and Louis Trinca-Pasat. Worthington ran over somebody whose number I couldn't get, and vice versa, I'm sure. Washington was not ready for LTP's quickness off the snap. Wonder how that matchup'll go tomorrow. Way down the depth chart, I don't remember Matt Longacre winning 1-on-1, but his number seemed to pop into view a lot 11-on-11.

* Linebackers: Sorry, I still suck at linebacking. I thought Daren Bates stood out with the 2's. He did a good job sealing the edge on some runs. I like how he's developing into a more and more complete player. Bryce Hager had a number of successful blitzes. Akeem Ayers was the victim of Cook's long 7-on-7 TD, but I can't believe having Ayers cover a TE deep down the seam is the ideal role for him. That was a scheme win for the offense.

* Secondary: Another disappointment for me is that E.J. Gaines was at best sharing the CB1 opposite Janoris Jenkins with Trumaine Johnson. Gaines should be getting all those reps over TruJo as far as I'm concerned. I really can't explain what went on today other than a lot of mixing and matching. It looked like Lamarcus Joyner and Marcus Roberson were the 2s; I wasn't even sure what Gaines' unit was for a while. And it was Gaines who made the best play I saw, perfectly shutting down Chris Givens on a rare deep route. Hearing now that Mark Barron was a no-go today, I believe Maurice Alexander got that role with the 1s. The secondary wasn't tested much, and I didn't learn much. Down the depth chart, Jacob Hagen had the only pick I saw all day, in rookie 7-on-7, and recalling the positive ball-hawking comments I saw in his scouting reports, I doubt that will be the last we hear from him. I liked Montell Garner in that session, too; he jumped a couple of slant routes well and wasn't afraid to get physical. Oh yeah, this is a Jeff Fisher team. Feisty.

* Special teams: The Isaiah Pead conspiracy started on special teams. The team opened practice with kick coverage the first twenty minutes, and the unit with Chase Reynolds, Daren Bates, Bennie Cunningham, Corey Harkey and Stedman Bailey on it would be the #1 unit, right? Pead was on that unit, along with a couple of other names I wasn't expecting, Korey Toomer and Marshall McFadden, though both were on teams last season. Well, be more aware than I was that those guys have legitimate shots at roster spots. Alexander was also on that unit, which very much pleases me. Interesting names on the #2 unit included Tre Mason and Jo-Lonn Dunbar. I even saw Alec Ogletree doing some teams work, if my brain wasn't too baked. Greg Zuerlein closed out practice going 4-for-4 from 30, 35, 40, and 45 (pfft, chip shots). I believe backup kicker Michael Palardy also ran the table.

* Strategery: This was the least tricky practice I've ever seen, though THANKFULLY, no inside handoffs to 170-pound RBs. Lots of play action, pretty even run distribution (end vs. middle), lots and lots of short passes. Based on today, the plan again this year is for a lot of 16-play scoring drives. Other than the one designed screen for Austin, I didn't notice much meant to get him the ball in space, though that one effort worked well. Many release-valve throws to the backs, but I get fooled every year into thinking that's going to be an offensive wrinkle. It's the first day; I'm sure they're saving the fumblerooski-triple-flea-flicker-flanker-throwback for tomorrow.

* Cheers: Well, I'd prefer not to go there from the very first report, but the name I heard mentioned the most in the crowd today, not favorably, was “Kroenke”. The Rams Park staff didn't seem to mind the several keep-the-Rams-in-St.-Louis signs, though. It looked like a good crowd for a Friday afternoon; I wouldn't be surprised to hear attendance in the 1,500 range. There are some downgrades. Last year, the rail went all the way around the near fields and afforded some access to the back fields; this year, it cuts off where it used to, just past the season ticket holders' section. There wasn't a concession stand on the hill like last year, just one beer guy going around, and he ran out of water before the end of the day. Might want to make sure to bring enough along if you're attending a practice this year.

* What's next?: RamView's only other planned training camp report will be from the scrimmage at Lindenwood University next Friday night. I want to thank everyone who's been reading these over the years. We all know it's very easy to make too much out of what goes on during one day of training camp, or my Hall of Fame bust of Quinton Culberson wouldn't have quite so much dust on it. I think I've gotten more right than wrong over the years (if just barely); thanks for putting up with these brain dumps.

-- Mike

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@JonRam99 thanks for posting! Interesting about Worthington....I figured that backup TE Cunningham would be a beast at blocking....Mo has me hyped...So does Roberson, Havenstein, & Brown...

Worried about Barnes...not yet...Pads today...Worried about Barrett Jones...Always

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
No problem! I think I'll post this to an original thread w/ a new title so it doesn't get lost...