Coaching Success: A moving scale?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it. But it is subjective. It is a moving target. For a fanbase who hasn't seen the postseason since 2004, we'd take losing there every year, year in and year out. Because it's better than what we have now. Sure we'd take Andy Reid or even Marty Shottenheimer type performances. Because it's better than what we have now. But given a coach who gets to the postseason 2 out of every 3 years and losing there will get old. It will get frustrating. "Getting Andy over the hump" isn't the answer. Andy, like Marty will never get over the hump. Or to be fair, may eventually get over the hump. Maybe. Who wants that every year? I'm not saying take what the Rams have given us the last 12 years but what the Patriots, Steelers or Packers have given their fans the last dozen years or so.

Which brought me to McVay. I expect him to be that genius. I expect him to get us competetive. I expect him to get us into the post season 2 out of every 3 years. And that will be a wonderful change over what we've had lately. But given that, given his genius, innovation and talents he's still going to have to win in the postseason and get to a Superbowl. Having done that, he'll have to win a Superbowl. I went through the Knox I experience. It was great! We had a dominant defense. A terrific team. But we got beat by the Cowboys or Vikings every year. It got old....quickly. Given what we eventually morphed into of course I'd take Knox I over and over and over again. Until it got old all over again.

Maybe this time we got the right guy. Maybe we got the young, upcoming soon-to-be-dominant genius. Maybe we got the head coach who will hit the ground running and never look back. And won't that be a fun experience?
Baby steps, my friend.

1] Get above .500
2] Get into the playoffs
3] Win the Super Bowl

For now, I'm focused on 1 & 2.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In Reid's defense, he can only do so much with Alex Smith.

Simms comes on NFL channel on Sirius from time to time and aside from his Belichick-worship tendencies he always brings up good stuff. Most recently he was discussing OCs and QBs, and how not a lot of thought is given to how important it is that QBs can make every throw. Basically your OCs who work with QBs who have limits--of which there are many in the NFL--have a hard time of it because they need to be much more creative in those limited areas in which they can deliver throws.

Looking at Smith, he's a really good QB, but limited in arm talent. I mean for example from the center of the hashes defenses know he's not going to be able to deliver a deep out, and it shrinks things up for the D. So yeah I give Reid a lot of cred in how well he designs things around Alex's limitations.

It's also why I am thankful the Rams pulled the trigger last year on a QB who has that arm talent you want. Our offense is not going to be limited at all in what McVay wants to do once he gets Jared to that high level of understanding of how they're going to attack defenses. I'm excited to see some training camp practices this season, I'll tell you that!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Baby steps, my friend.

1] Get above .500
2] Get into the playoffs
3] Win the Super Bowl

For now, I'm focused on 1 & 2.

There are no "baby steps". A Superbowl Championship starts with the hiring of the future Superbowl winning coach. It just seems like baby steps. We don't have to be focused on anything as we have no say in what happens. I am looking for:

1. An offense that is 21st century able
2. A defense that doesn't collapse in the 4th quarter
3. At least a .500 record in year 1

I'll tailor my expectations for year 2 once year 1 has been completed. But I will say, I expect a perennial winner and Superbowl Champion in the near future. This guy is supposed to be just that. Not a good coach. Not a coach who has some success. A genius. A motivated, eyes-on-the-prize juggernaut who has only one mission. To be on top of the sport. Any expectations lower than that would be disrespecting this guy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are no "baby steps". A Superbowl Championship starts with the hiring of the future Superbowl winning coach. It just seems like baby steps. We don't have to be focused on anything as we have no say in what happens. I am looking for:

1. An offense that is 21st century able
2. A defense that doesn't collapse in the 4th quarter
3. At least a .500 record in year 1

I'll tailor my expectations for year 2 once year 1 has been completed. But I will say, I expect a perennial winner and Superbowl Champion in the near future. This guy is supposed to be just that. Not a good coach. Not a coach who has some success. A genius. A motivated, eyes-on-the-prize juggernaut who has only one mission. To be on top of the sport. Any expectations lower than that would be disrespecting this guy.
Jon Gruden (whom I've seen comparisons to) took 5 seasons to get to a SB, although it would have only been 4 had the "tuck rule" not been implemented...
2 .500 seasons, then 12-4.
Is that a trajectory you see as fair?
Not disagreeing with you, seems reasonable to me

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If I were Hunt, I'd be looking for a guy to get the Chiefs over the hump.
Chiefs need a real QB...Not a game manager....It's really obvious....They lost to a team that kicked 6 fg's....People always say, you can win with this...you can win with that...Well, Smith can really run for a QB...the one thing he can't do, throw the damn ball down the field...to wide receivers. Travis Kelcie makes a few more catches, maybe we're talking different.

It's also why I am thankful the Rams pulled the trigger last year on a QB who has that arm talent you want.
Loved your entire comment Merl...til I read this. This has yet to be proven.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Wow!

Sounds like table setting to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Loved your entire comment Merl...til I read this. This has yet to be proven.

I think the arm talent is proven LA. What remains to be seen is the mental side, the protections all the way to anticipating coverages and dishing that ball to the right dude in real time.

But I remain confident the guy is going to succeed. He was a rook with a bad line and terrible coaching last year, which is an evil trinity of offensive suck. McVay will have an entirely different guy under center next year to go with better gameplanning and personnel, watch and see.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There's only 1 winner every year... just 1.

I have 2 die-hard cowgirl fans who work for me. I didn't even want to make eye contact with them yesterday... much less bring up the game. They are both so miserable about being bounced out that I realized that they are even more miserable than I have been. They have a great o-line, new badass QB and RB, in the playoffs, very bright future, etc... but those poor bastards are literally more miserable and frustrated with their team than I am with ours. I told em both today that they were both nuts.

There are going to be 31 miserable as freak fan bases every single year. That's the truth in all of this.

As an Owner, having Coaches like Shottenheimer, and Reid work real well, they Win each Season, and The Fans always have High hopes for the next Season!! The $$$$$$ Roll in!!

As a Fan you love the Winning, But you want the BIG ONE!! Shotty went what, 14-2 in San Diego and got canned! Crazy!! But! That's Football!

I'd settle for a few Conference Championships at this point in time!

I remember falling a sleep watching Browns Bronco's . Talk about Ernest Byner or Mack. Bernie & Dog Pound !!!
Can't blame him.

In KC he really made the Chiefs a fun team to watch. Montatana & Allen was simply beautiful. Always felt good to see them play well.
--Made Niner & Raider fans upset . :)

In SD he had to tell with Spanos who low balled AntiononGates. Nick Foles would miss game winning field goals against the Jets twice. To me he was a Winner !!! He just had a lot of bad luck.

Andy Reid went through a lot with his KIDS & Drugs !!! I don't know what that would look like from afar ??
Ever since Andy took over in Philly he out coached The Rams on a consistent basis. Dick getting traded was weird & Mad Mike's brain thing that put him in hospital was crazy. ---Why did he get kicked out of The Rams practice facility while being H/C ??

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
College? This season??

Yes and yes.

Now can he harness it and become a premier NFL quarterback? That is what's yet to be proven.

Jon Gruden (whom I've seen comparisons to) took 5 seasons to get to a SB, although it would have only been 4 had the "tuck rule" not been implemented...
2 .500 seasons, then 12-4.
Is that a trajectory you see as fair?
Not disagreeing with you, seems reasonable to me

A fair trajectory? Absolutely. Having said that, I truly expect McVay to be successful. Very successful.

Last edited: