coaches with 4 straight non winning seasons to start tenure

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And keeping an unsuccesfull coach doesnt help matters either.
There's a reason why that list shows only 1 coach in the last 50 years kept his job after 4 straight losing seasons. And that coach lost the job the next season after 7 games.
And how many coaches in the game today have won or been to a Superbowl as a head coach? Ditching a coach after he is charged with completely changing the direction, methodology, and culture of a franchise. How has that worked out in most cases?

Sorry but Fisher IMO was not brought in to simply draft and sign his guys. He was brought in to orchestrate a new long term approach that brings about sustainability. Yeah other coaches have gotten their teams to playoffs and even Superbowls quicker but how is that working out in SF? Does it look like Seattle is maintaining that? What was Petey's last gig in the NFL like? The one before that? How did Bellyfat work out in Cleveland? Do we think Arians is going to lead the Tards to the Superbowl? ATL really stayed in contention for a long time - eh? How have the Aints been doing before and after their short rise?

The fact is that except in rare occasions, teams cycle up and down and though there are HCs that are really not good at the job, there aren't a whole lot of them that win consistently with ANY team. Think Bill Parcels in Dallas and to some extent NY.

This team has been awful for a lot of years mainly due to mismanagement by Georgia and Shaw. We are finally changing the culture around our team and though we are not making playoffs YET, we are a far better franchise from top to bottom.

I would definitely like to be in contention right now. But do I think we could be in far worse shape with about 90% of the coaches that might be available? Damn straight. Would I welcome a new coach if that is the direction we went? I'd be skeptical but right behind him going forward.

Bottom line is that inserting a new coach doesn't necessarily help much either. I'd like to try continuity for a change and see how that works out.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Not entirely unrelated to the OP's point, but ..

Why would a coach like Belichick look crappy in Cleveland?
Or Parcells in Dallas/NYJ?
Or Seifert in Carolina?
Or Shanahan in Washington?
Why is Coughlin on his 4th non-winning season in 7 years?

There are MULTIPLE Super Bowl Titles between those guys, and yet there are times where they couldn't get out of their own way and/or failed miserably.
Did they forget how to coach in certain years? Did Fisher get lucky when he went to the SB or did he luck his way into 13 wins in 2008?

OR. Could it be that sometimes you just need the right breaks and the right players?
And could it be that sometimes those plans just go to crap for reasons outside of your control?

Actually, if you look at Belicheck in Cleveland, they were in the cusp of something ridiculous....truly roflstomping the league and with what would turn out to be an all-star coaching staff.

No one is less a fan of Belicheck than me..., but Cleveland unlike the other failures was on the cusp of something special and the team that was moved to Baltimore became one of the most dominant defenses of all time and won a Super Bowl.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
And how many coaches in the game today have won or been to a Superbowl as a head coach? Ditching a coach after he is charged with completely changing the direction, methodology, and culture of a franchise. How has that worked out in most cases?
Most coaches are brought in to change the culture and turn around an organization, I haven't run the #'s but I would guess that 90% are supposed change the direction, methodology, culture of a franchise. The few examples are winning teams that bring in coaches (Martz->vermeil, Switzer->JJ for example). Agreed it normally doesn't work out, but you don't want to sit at average (or in our case below average) either, the goal is to win it all - or at least be in the running for the SB. The first step is to make the playoffs (something we haven't been able to reach), the next is to go deep in, and then the question is can you stay up there in relevance. Right now JF hasn't reached the first tier in four years. We can't even talk about the second or third tier yet (for example Lewis in CIN is in that second tier - having good regular seasons, makes playoffs, but can't get past 1st round....he may lose job over it, others have).

Sorry but Fisher IMO was not brought in to simply draft and sign his guys. He was brought in to orchestrate a new long term approach that brings about sustainability. Yeah other coaches have gotten their teams to playoffs and even Superbowls quicker but how is that working out in SF? Does it look like Seattle is maintaining that?
What is long term? What is the plan? I sure don't see it. It seems to be build a great D and hope the O is good enough. How long is this plan supposed to take? I have said it before you needed the playoffs this year so that sustainability could be tested in year 5. So if you keep him on for year 5 and he makes the playoffs - presumably you give him an extension....but what do you do if he drops back to 8-8 in year 6, eat the contract, give him a 7th year. What if he makes playoffs in year 7 again but both times were 1 and done...keep going?

The NFL makes it tough to sustain that high level, and the only teams that seem to do it have HoF QB to lead them each year. Most teams know that time on top is limited, and often they sell there future for 1 or 2 more years of having a shot. It is great to think there is some plan to make us relevant to that conversation every year, but short of finding a HoF QB suddenly that doesn't seem plausible, and right now the plan isn't even making us anymore than a yearly spoiler team for others.

What was Petey's last gig in the NFL like? The one before that? How did Bellyfat work out in Cleveland?

I think that you could find articles where both of them would say they learned lot from that first NFL HC job and applied it the next time around. The trouble here is JF has 20 years as an NFL HC, nothing we see on the field or in his public comments would lead anyone to believe that he will suddenly evolve or learn at this point. Linhan may be a much better HC given another shot (let me clear I am NOT advocating for this!!!) his second time around having learned lessons from the first time.

Bottom line is that inserting a new coach doesn't necessarily help much either. I'd like to try continuity for a change and see how that works out.

You are very right, a new head coach is a gamble, but right now I feel like the level of success is so low it is worth it. Hoping for 8 or 9 wins a season is too low of a bar to debate over, if you are struggling after this long with that, then I have to assume the next couple of steps are going to be even less likely...

I think for example CIN will have it much tougher if they lose in the first round again this year. Are you willing to gamble regular playoffs and really good regular season for a shot at a ring - are you willing to gamble you that you can do the Dungy-> Gruden jump, knowing you could end up with the Schotty to Turner change or worse.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I was leaning to losing Fisher until I saw how many potential openings there might be this off-season. Damn. No thanks.... No way the Rams get a top HC candidate with the specter of a possible move looming. Even if everything else was perfect and it isn't because we don't have a QB and the lack of a QB is a coach killer, we'd still be a tough sell.

At this point, I think we just need...something. I dunno what it is. Is Frank Cignetti a genius once he has a QB? Are we just a dominant OL away and that would allow us to get solid production from Foles/Mannion/FA/high draft QB?

I dunno, I truly don't, but I hope they figure it out SOON!!!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I was leaning to losing Fisher until I saw how many potential openings there might be this off-season. Damn. No thanks.... No way the Rams get a top HC candidate with the specter of a possible move looming. Even if everything else was perfect and it isn't because we don't have a QB and the lack of a QB is a coach killer, we'd still be a tough sell.

At this point, I think we just need...something. I dunno what it is. Is Frank Cignetti a genius once he has a QB? Are we just a dominant OL away and that would allow us to get solid production from Foles/Mannion/FA/high draft QB?

I dunno, I truly don't, but I hope they figure it out SOON!!!
It starts with Fisher turning over the offense to a competent OC. That OC will look at the personalities and talent, and perhapss develop an offensive strategy/identity around that. Once that's in place, then the missing pieces, like a QB, can be secured, either through the draft of free agency.

No matter how you cut it, it starts with Fisher. Either he grows up and realizes his weaknesses, or we continue in mediocrity.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sorry but Fisher IMO was not brought in to simply draft and sign his guys. He was brought in to orchestrate a new long term approach that brings about sustainability. Yeah other coaches have gotten their teams to playoffs and even Superbowls quicker but how is that working out in SF? Does it look like Seattle is maintaining that? What was Petey's last gig in the NFL like? The one before that? How did Bellyfat work out in Cleveland? Do we think Arians is going to lead the Tards to the Superbowl? ATL really stayed in contention for a long time - eh? How have the Aints been doing before and after their short rise?

The fact is that except in rare occasions, teams cycle up and down and though there are HCs that are really not good at the job, there aren't a whole lot of them that win consistently with ANY team. This team has been awful for a lot of years mainly due to mismanagement by Georgia and Shaw. We are finally changing the culture around our team and though we are not making playoffs YET, we are a far better franchise from top to bottom.

I would definitely like to be in contention right now. But do I think we could be in far worse shape with about 90% of the coaches that might be available? Damn straight. Would I welcome a new coach if that is the direction we went? I'd be skeptical but right behind him going forward.

Not following.
How much time does a Superbowl appeareance buy a coach? Yeah he got Tennessee to the Superbowl, 16 years ago.
Shanahan won a couple, he got fired. Billick won one, he got fired. Fox got to a SB with 2 different teams, Fired.
Belechick had success in Cleveland, and still got fired.
The NFL is the (Apologies for the ridiculous cliche) Not for long league
Better coaches have gotten fired (resume wise) with better results.
I'm all for continuity if the direction of the team seems to be trending upward. The offense has taken a tragic turn backwards this despite the addition of possibly the best RB in the league.
I dont know, looking at the 4 years here, I cant see how to expect anything more for the offense next year. And the defense will start taking a step back as contracts are going to be coming due, and the budget wont allow to re-sign everybody.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Most coaches are brought in to change the culture and turn around an organization, I haven't run the #'s but I would guess that 90% are supposed change the direction, methodology, culture of a franchise. The few examples are winning teams that bring in coaches (Martz->vermeil, Switzer->JJ for example). Agreed it normally doesn't work out, but you don't want to sit at average (or in our case below average) either, the goal is to win it all - or at least be in the running for the SB. The first step is to make the playoffs (something we haven't been able to reach), the next is to go deep in, and then the question is can you stay up there in relevance. Right now JF hasn't reached the first tier in four years. We can't even talk about the second or third tier yet (for example Lewis in CIN is in that second tier - having good regular seasons, makes playoffs, but can't get past 1st round....he may lose job over it, others have).
I don't actually agree with that. Often coaches are brought in to take a culture and turn around the team playing in it. Rarely have we seen a five year stint where a team has a new owner (essentially), a new COO, a new GM, and a new HC. And with what this team and organization as a whole was allowed to become under Georgia and Shaw, that is not only a pretty huge undertaking but a culture change that hasn't happened since probably when Kraft took over the patsies or maybe Jeruh took over the cowgirls. The difference being that neither of those franchises had been destroyed to near the tune of the Rams by their previous ownership.

What is long term? What is the plan? I sure don't see it. It seems to be build a great D and hope the O is good enough. How long is this plan supposed to take? I have said it before you needed the playoffs this year so that sustainability could be tested in year 5.

The long term plan as I see it is to build and maintain a base that you can add and subtract a few players from to go from decent and in the playoff hunt to very good and in the Superbowl hunt while not sinking to the blow it up stage in any year. How long is it supposed to take? I dunno. How long has it taken most teams to even sniff a Superbowl? By many accounts, we are but a QB away from being one of those teams. Does changing coaches get us that QB? Do you see another coach getting more out of our current QBs? Maybe you do. I just don't see it.

I get that many think we should have that QB and improved offense by now. And there is certainly a case that can be made that we should have moved on from Sam earlier and/or taken a QB like Carr. Maybe so. Does that mean the rest of the team is this good? Probably not.

The NFL makes it tough to sustain that high level, and the only teams that seem to do it have HoF QB to lead them each year. Most teams know that time on top is limited, and often they sell there future for 1 or 2 more years of having a shot. It is great to think there is some plan to make us relevant to that conversation every year, but short of finding a HoF QB suddenly that doesn't seem plausible, and right now the plan isn't even making us anymore than a yearly spoiler team for others.
And yet it still rarely works out for them. Maybe I'm just looking at it different. I would love a Superbowl. But I would like to see a different approach to getting there. The patsies didn't sell their future to get there. They promoted a back-up 6th round supplemental pick. I can't stand Bellicheat but he has done a very good job at plug and play with a strong core. Let's not kid ourselves though. He came into a team with a Probowl caliber QB in Bledsoe and got REALLY lucky in drafting their franchise QB at 199th overall.

I think that you could find articles where both of them would say they learned lot from that first NFL HC job and applied it the next time around. The trouble here is JF has 20 years as an NFL HC, nothing we see on the field or in his public comments would lead anyone to believe that he will suddenly evolve or learn at this point.
Evolve? No. Find that franchise QB while maintaining a base that could take advantage of it? Yeah - I think that is entirely possible.

Is Petey learning? I don't think so. He has/had a team full of really good players and a pretty decent game managing QB. He's lost a few of those players and his team is in decline.

You are very right, a new head coach is a gamble, but right now I feel like the level of success is so low it is worth it. Hoping for 8 or 9 wins a season is too low of a bar to debate over, if you are struggling after this long with that, then I have to assume the next couple of steps are going to be even less likely...
The level of success IMO hasn't matched the level of play in many cases this season. Do I assume from that we won't make that next step? No. Do I think it is less likely than most of the teams that right now 5-5 or worse? No. Do I think we are better than many of the teams that lead their division - even teams that have their QBs? Yes.

I think for example CIN will have it much tougher if they lose in the first round again this year. Are you willing to gamble regular playoffs and really good regular season for a shot at a ring - are you willing to gamble you that you can do the Dungy-> Gruden jump, knowing you could end up with the Schotty to Turner change or worse.
How do you know which you are gambling? And does any gamble get us that QB we need?

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me and I completely understand why some don't. I just want to see if continuity brings us sustained results and also am tired of watching the carousel we have had here and other unsuccessful teams have had.

But would I trade one Superbowl appearance for consistently being in the hunt? Probably not. We caught lightning in a barrel with the GSOT for a couple of years. Was there actually a plan that made it happen? Sure doesn't look like it to me. Just like no one saw Tom Brady coming (including Bellyfat), no one saw Kurt Warner coming.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not following.
How much time does a Superbowl appeareance buy a coach? Yeah he got Tennessee to the Superbowl, 16 years ago.
Shanahan won a couple, he got fired. Billick won one, he got fired. Fox got to a SB with 2 different teams, Fired.
Belechick had success in Cleveland, and still got fired.
The NFL is the (Apologies for the ridiculous cliche) Not for long league
Better coaches have gotten fired (resume wise) with better results.
I'm all for continuity if the direction of the team seems to be trending upward. The offense has taken a tragic turn backwards this despite the addition of possibly the best RB in the league.
I dont know, looking at the 4 years here, I cant see how to expect anything more for the offense next year. And the defense will start taking a step back as contracts are going to be coming due, and the budget wont allow to re-sign everybody.
I don't know how much time a SB appearance buys a coach. I'm not even sure that it is entirely relevant.

Bellyfat had one winning season in Cleveland. Even still, how did firing him work out? How did firing Shannahan work out for Denver or Washington? Probably most importantly and most germane - How has getting rid of Fisher worked out for Tennessee?

Fox was 2-14 when he got fired by Carolina. If Fisher had let that happen here, I'd be in favor of cutting him loose. Denver got rid of him because they had probably one year left with Manning and they chose Manning over Fox. Not sure how that will work out for them but we'll see.

Again. I understand why people disagree with me. I just have a different view on not only if we should get rid of Fisher but why he was not as successful as he could have been in Tenn and how it has worked out for us and other teams in getting rid of very competent coaches. Most of the time IMO, the team has gotten worse - not better.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again. I understand why people disagree with me. I just have a different view on not only if we should get rid of Fisher but why he was not as successful as he could have been in Tenn and how it has worked out for us and other teams in getting rid of very competent coaches. Most of the time IMO, the team has gotten worse - not better.
I see the point you are trying to make, but it inadvertantly supports firing Fisher
The thing is, with the coaches you mention, Belechick in Cleveland, Shanahan in Denver or Washington, Fox in Carolina, they all had significant success, and none of them had 4 straight losing seasons like Fisher here in St Louis.
Even still, in the guise of "continuity" there wouldnt have been a Shanahan in Denver if they stuck with Wade Phillips. There wouldnt have been a John Fox in Carolina if they gave Seifert another year. Sure its a cycle thing, but who's to say when the chain gets broken?? Point is, with these coaches, they typically had a bounce back year. Fisher's record gets worse every year.
So this will play out, and if he can get the team to 8 wins, I'd see reason to bring him back. If they lose 10 or more, I dont see how its even a consideration, for all the reasons you suggest

As a side note, Belechick coached the Browns until their last season, had he been retained, he would have been the Ravens coach. The Ravens who won the Superbowl 5 years after he was fired

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I see the point you are trying to make, but it inadvertantly supports firing Fisher
The thing is, with the coaches you mention, Belechick in Cleveland, Shanahan in Denver or Washington, Fox in Carolina, they all had significant success, and none of them had 4 straight losing seasons like Fisher here in St Louis.
Even still, in the guise of "continuity" there wouldnt have been a Shanahan in Denver if they stuck with Wade Phillips. There wouldnt have been a John Fox in Carolina if they gave Seifert another year. Sure its a cycle thing, but who's to say when the chain gets broken?? Point is, with these coaches, they typically had a bounce back year. Fisher's record gets worse every year.
So this will play out, and if he can get the team to 8 wins, I'd see reason to bring him back. If they lose 10 or more, I dont see how its even a consideration, for all the reasons you suggest

As a side note, Belechick coached the Browns until their last season, had he been retained, he would have been the Ravens coach. The Ravens who won the Superbowl 5 years after he was fired
Yeah man. I'm not saying I'm right. It's just my theory. Guess we'll end up seeing how it plays out.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Quite the risk you're taking. Hell - if it doesn't work out you won't be able to say you told us so.
Just to be clear. I want to add a qualifier. If Fisher actually hires a respected & competent OC in the offseason, AND allows this OC to hire his own staff, create his own offensive strategy, and call his own plays, then I'm actually quite happy to extend Fisher.

Irregardless isn't a word.
A little birdie gave me the following from Merriam Webster's dictionary.

"Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just to be clear. I want to add a qualifier. If Fisher actually hires a respected & competent OC in the offseason, AND allows this OC to hire his own staff, create his own offensive strategy, and call his own plays, then I'm actually quite happy to extend Fisher.
And you can name a time in history when an OC has had all that? And please don't say Martz because that would not be true.

When I watch this offense, I see one main thing missing and that is a QB that can actually hit the open receivers. And they are open. A different OC likely wouldn't make a difference getting the O-line matured to where they gel.

I would be fine if that happened but I don't see it and yet I still want to see Fish back next season.

"Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however."

Come on man. You can use the same argument for almost every non-word used with any kind of frequency. Just because it is a discussion within Webster doesn't mean it is actually a word. Try ain't and see what you come up with. I'm going to wager there's a discussion about that too. It's not a word. You got called on it just out of poking fun and now you won't let it go.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Feel free to keep using it then. It sounds super smart.
BTW, The Oxford Dictionary just included the word "awesomesauce".

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
So we're all in agreeance then?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Feel free to keep using it then. It sounds super smart.
BTW, The Oxford Dictionary just included the word "awesomesauce".
And dyedinthewool. And let's not forget that literally and figuratively are now interchangeable.