Coaches hired and fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-fichtner-promoted-to-offensive-coordinator/

Steelers announce Randy Fichtner promoted to offensive coordinator
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 18, 2018

124721885-e1516307738149.jpg

Getty Images

A day after announcing that Todd Haley is out as offensive coordinator, the Steelers have announced that Randy Fichtner has been promoted to replace him.

Fichtner is now officially the Steelers’ offensive coordinator. The team said he will continue to coach the quarterbacks as well, perhaps in a nod to his good relationship with Ben Roethlisberger.

“I want to thank Coach [Mike] Tomlin and Art Rooney II for giving me this opportunity to be the offensive coordinator for this organization,” said Fichtner in a statement. “We have a tremendous roster, and it will be my charge to continue putting our offensive players in position to succeed and score points. We have the nucleus to be successful, and I am thrilled about the chance to lead the offense as we have already started preparing for the 2018 season.”

Tomlin hired Fichtner as receivers coach when he first arrived in Pittsburgh in 2007 and promoted him to quarterbacks coach three years later. Fichtner and Tomlin first worked together on the staff at Arkansas State in 1997.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Seahawks announced three additions to their coaching staff Tuesday, naming Brian Schottenheimer offensive coordinator, Ken Norton Jr. defensive coordinator and Mike Solari offensive line coach.
These^ are just 3 more reasons the Rams will Own the Hag's in 2018!!(y);):D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-romeo-crennel-back-to-defensive-coordinator/

Texans move Romeo Crennel back to defensive coordinator
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 21, 2018

487111578-e1516532480368.jpg

Getty Images

With Mike Vrabel leaving to become the head coach of the Titans, the Texans’ new defensive coordinator is their old defensive coordinator.

Romeo Crennel will regain the title of Houston’s defensive coordinator, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. Crennel was previously the Texans’ defensive coordinator from 2014 to 2016. Last year the Texans switched Crennel’s title to associate head coach and promoted Vrabel to defensive coordinator.

The 70-year-old Crennel has had two stints as a head coach, once in Cleveland and once in Kansas City, and has been defensive coordinator in both of those places as well as in New England. Having been in the NFL in one capacity or another since 1981, he’s one of the league’s most experienced coaches.

The Texans’ defense has played well under Crennel, and with J.J. Watt set to return in 2018, there’s every reason to think they should play well under Crennel again.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/22/dick-lebeau-wont-be-back-with-titans/

Dick LeBeau won’t be back with Titans
Posted by Josh Alper on January 22, 2018

893193202-e1516636528668.jpg

Getty Images

The Titans hired Mike Vrabel as their new head coach on Saturday and the former Texans defensive coordinator is now working on putting together his coaching staff.

According to multiple reports, it won’t include Dick LeBeau. LeBeau was the team’s defensive coordinator for the last two seasons, but it’s no great surprise that the Titans are moving on given Vrabel’s own defensive background.

A report last week indicated LeBeau, who turned 80 last year, would be “comfortable” retiring if the Titans’ new head coach didn’t keep him on the staff. If that’s the case, LeBeau will be calling an end to a career as an NFL player and coach that has lasted 59 years.

He played for the Lions from 1959-1972 and went right into coaching with the Eagles the next year. He had long stints with the Bengals and Steelers before becoming the Bengals head coach in 2000. He lasted three years in that job and eventually headed back to Pittsburgh to run a defense for 11 years.

LeBeau was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2010 and will also be remembered as a coach for innovating the zone blitz as a defensive coordinator.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" And the New HC of the Arizona Cards is Former DC of the Panthers Wilks!" I guess the Cards are going to go "Defense" in 2018! GOOD! this guy doesn't have a lot of experience!! LOL

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
" And the New HC of the Arizona Cards is Former DC of the Panthers Wilks!" I guess the Cards are going to go "Defense" in 2018! GOOD! this guy doesn't have a lot of experience!! LOL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...announce-steve-wilks-is-their-new-head-coach/

Cardinals announce Steve Wilks is their new head coach

3849f5c40ec41c0d1908ad5d6877602c-e1516648912902.jpeg

Getty Images

The signs early on Monday all pointed toward the Cardinals hiring Steve Wilks as their new head coach and the team made it official a little later in the day.

The team announced that Wilks, who was the Panthers’ defensive coordinator, will take over as head coach after interviewing with the team twice in recent weeks. He replaces Bruce Arians, who retired at the end of the 2017 regular season.

While a few hires still need to be officially announced, Wilks’ hiring leaves no vacant head coaching jobs in the league. The Cardinals were also the last to settle on a head coach when they hired Arians in 2013 and that choice led to three straight seasons with at least 10 wins.

Wilks’ hiring got a thumbs up from cornerback Patrick Peterson on Twitter and we’ll likely hear from other Cardinals players in the coming days. One spot where there won’t be a response is quarterback as Carson Palmer has joined Arians in retirement to leave the team with a big hole on offense. They’ll work to fill it this offseason and Wilks’ eventual hire at offensive coordinator will have a lot to do with how things play out once they find Palmer’s replacement with the first team.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...announce-steve-wilks-is-their-new-head-coach/

Getty Images

The signs early on Monday all pointed toward the Cardinals hiring Steve Wilks as their new head coach and the team made it official a little later in the day.

The team announced that Wilks, who was the Panthers’ defensive coordinator, will take over as head coach after interviewing with the team twice in recent weeks. He replaces Bruce Arians, who retired at the end of the 2017 regular season.

While a few hires still need to be officially announced, Wilks’ hiring leaves no vacant head coaching jobs in the league. The Cardinals were also the last to settle on a head coach when they hired Arians in 2013 and that choice led to three straight seasons with at least 10 wins.

Wilks’ hiring got a thumbs up from cornerback Patrick Peterson on Twitter and we’ll likely hear from other Cardinals players in the coming days. One spot where there won’t be a response is quarterback as Carson Palmer has joined Arians in retirement to leave the team with a big hole on offense. They’ll work to fill it this offseason and Wilks’ eventual hire at offensive coordinator will have a lot to do with how things play out once they find Palmer’s replacement with the first team.
Well, after the success McVay had, I'm not going to discount this guy... but, looks like he'll have to find a very competent OC... he seems to have little experience on that side of the ball.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wilks

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/22/giants-announce-pat-shurmur-hire/

Giants announce Pat Shurmur hire
Posted by Charean Williams on January 22, 2018

8563262464-e1516663698203.jpg

Getty Images

The Giants made it official, announcing Pat Shurmur as the 18th head coach in franchise history.

Shurmur, 52, leaves the Vikings after two seasons. He succeeds Ben McAdoo, whom the Giants fired December 4.

The Giants announced they have delayed Shurmur’s introductory press conference until Friday because of weather-related travel problems in Minneapolis today. He will travel to the Senior Bowl on Tuesday.

“We are pleased to welcome Pat to our organization and look forward to the leadership he will provide for our team,” Giants chairman Steve Tisch and team president John Mara said in a joint release. “He has an outstanding track record in developing young players, and it is clear his players respond to his guidance and direction. We interviewed six talented and qualified candidates, and we feel like Pat, with his vision and experience, is the right person to lead our team.”

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Getty Images

Crap. I was really hoping that he'd end up elsewhere.

Well, after the success McVay had, I'm not going to discount this guy... but, looks like he'll have to find a very competent OC... he seems to have little experience on that side of the ball.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wilks

Rumor is that he's grabbing John DeFilippo, and that's not good news for us. He's a brilliant offensive mind and should really help out whatever QB Arizona brings in.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/22/report-browns-hire-todd-haley/

Browns hire Todd Haley
Posted by Charean Williams on January 22, 2018

1586737581-e1516669633683.jpg

Getty Images

The deal is done: The Browns have hired Todd Haley as their offensive coordinator, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

Haley, 50, is expected to call plays under Hue Jackson, who doubled as the play-caller his first two seasons. Haley likely gets a rookie quarterback to coach, with the Browns expected to use the No. 1 overall pick on one.

The former head coach of the Chiefs ran one of the most explosive offensives in the NFL the past four seasons. But the Steelers did not renew his contract after their 45-42 loss to the Jaguars in the divisional round.

Haley has his work cut out for him with the Browns. They ranked 24th in total offense, 22nd in passing offense and 32nd in scoring.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Crap. I was really hoping that he'd end up elsewhere.

Rumor is that he's grabbing John DeFilippo, and that's not good news for us. He's a brilliant offensive mind and should really help out whatever QB Arizona brings in.
jrry32, why, what do you know about Mr. Wilks that you are concerned about?
We all appreciate your keen insights though I do hope that you are wrong on this!!!
Ya'll get my drift:D:p

~ArkyRamsFan~

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32, why, what do you know about Mr. Wilks that you are concerned about?
We all appreciate your keen insights though I do hope that you are wrong on this!!!
Ya'll get my drift:D:p

~ArkyRamsFan~

I've heard really good things about him as a motivator, I like his defensive philosophy and scheme, and the Rams thought highly enough of him to interview him last year for our HC job before he had any DC experience. Plus, he's rumored to have some good coaches interested in joining him.

Too bad looks like we didn't bring him in @jrry32 . Would have loved for him to work with Wade for a few years then take over.

View: https://twitter.com/TheGeeScott/status/955574530524692480

Yea, it's too bad. He's a great DB Coach, and I think highly of him as a DC. Dallas really lucked out here.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Any way to reverse the internal promotion and hire Callahan’s kid? The connection bw Sean and Bill could play a huge role.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

If the Cardinals do hire DeFilippo I give him one year before someone nabs him as their next Head Coach. However, I agree that Wilks is a good hire, however, once Shurmur was off the table I knew Wilks was most likely their guy. Sometimes teams get luck and in this case the Cardinals did. No worries, nothing is easy unless you are the New England Patriots.