Coach Ray Sherman’s Open Book

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Coach Sherman’s Open Book
Written by Tiffany White

http://www.stlouisrams.com/ramsplus/longform/sherman.html

ONE WEEK BEFORE THE COMBINE, I caught up with Rams Wide Receivers Coach Ray Sherman during one of his breaks from watching film. After briefing me on the pop culture news of the day, he brought up a few YouTube clips on his computer and said, “Tell me, what do you think of this?”

He asked the same question before and after we watched each video. I imagine he routinely asks his players the same thing because as he puts it plainly, “Sometimes, you’ve just got to shut up and listen.”

Of the hundreds of players he’s coached over the past four decades, many – including his current receivers – view him as a father.

“I look up to him,” Rams wideout Brian Quick said. “You should definitely put that in your story.”

Quick, who had only recently begun playing football in high school, was highly regarded for his natural gifts and big-play potential coming out of college. Sherman recognized that and patiently awaited his breakout season and 2014 seemed to be a likely target.

Four games into the season, Quick recorded his first multi-touchdown game of his career and surpassed his previous career highs in touchdowns, receiving yards, and catches. He injured his shoulder in Week 8 at Kansas City and Head Coach Jeff Fisher confirmed the injury was season-ending the following Monday.

When asked how involved his coach has been in his recovery process since then, he didn’t hesitate to acknowledge Sherman’s level of engagement.

“He’s in the process right now,” Quick said following a February rehab session. “He comes down to the training room every day that he’s here to check on me.”

He went on to share some of the lessons that his coach taught him and every story was soaked in gratitude.

“I’m here to help them be the best player they can be,” Sherman said. “I think that’s important because I always enjoy watching progress, watching a man grow. I’ve watched that with Brian Quick. Until he got injured, he was on the verge of having an outstanding year.”

A season after drafting Quick, the Rams traded up to the No. 8 spot of the 2013 draft and selected a speedy Tavon Austin out of West Virginia. By the third round, Sherman had a pair of Mountaineer receivers after St. Louis drafted Stedman Bailey with the 92nd overall pick.

“I’ve watched guys get better,” Sherman said. “Stedman and Tavon, I saw them get better from their first year. I saw Chris Givens improve in his third year. It’s funny when they look at film of themselves from the previous year and they say, ‘Was that me?’ So, when you point those things out to them to get better, they buy into it. ”

Conversation eventually led me to ask Coach Sherman who his mentor was.
 He took a few seconds to think before answering.
 “I don’t really think I have one,” he lamented. “I’ve just found my own way. But, if I did have to point to someone it would be Vince Dooley from Georgia.”

Six years after leading the University of Georgia to a perfect 12-0 record and a national championship title in 1980, Dooley hired Sherman as one of his assistant coaches.

“If we were sitting around talking before a meeting and Vince Dooley walked in,” Sherman went on to explain, “everybody stopped talking. You could hear a pin drop. He commanded respect.”

An offer from the Houston Oilers limited Sherman to only two seasons with the Bulldogs legend. It was always his dream to coach in the National Football League, and so he left Athens, Ga. for Texas in 1987. He went on to coach nine Pro Bowlers, three First-Team All-Pros, and four Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees during his NFL coaching tenure. A track record that, like Dooley’s, commands respect.

HOWLING AND CACKLING FLOODED THE RECEIVERS ROOM after Coach Sherman delivered his spiel on why Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard were the greatest boxers of all time.

“Mayweather, Coach! Money Mayweather,” Austin retorted back at him.

“Man, you don’t know about Ali,” Sherman smirked. “Ali is one of the greatest fighters that ever fought. Sugar Ray Leonard, Hitman Hearns, Marvin Hagler – you guys don’t know anything about these guys. All you do is get caught up in your own little world about one fighter.”

While the receivers groaned in disagreement, Sherman scanned YouTube for boxing highlights. By the end of the first video, players’ mouths had wilted open. Some sighed and others couldn’t help but whisper a few ‘wows.’

“I tell them from Day 1, ‘We’re gonna work our butts off, but we’re gonna have fun. You’re going to come in here happy.’”

“That’s right, check your history,” Sherman said proudly, knowing he had proven his puppies wrong. “Don’t you guys come in here and try to act like you know more than me.”

Like a game of ping pong, Sherman and his receivers constantly exchange jokes with one another. He welcomes the laughter his debates draw. He enjoys their friendly squabbles and doing the little things that get his “young guns” to relax and loosen up.

“I tell them from Day 1, ‘We’re gonna work our butts off, but we’re gonna have fun,’” Sherman said. “You’re going to come in here happy. Come into this room with energy. If you’re going to come in with your lips poked out, then stay outside of the room.”

On the field, his receivers take on an intense alter ego. They’re a different group and other players take notice and tell Sherman.

“Aye, Sherm, they’re working,” they say to Sherman, who receives their feedback with a satisfied “proud papa” smile. “Man, Coach, those guys are working. They’re doing it.”

According to his wife, Yvette, Sherman craves perfection and he wants to win. He can’t stand excuses and doesn’t allow them.

“Ray has been in so many different systems, he has coached many different positions, and he’s been an assistant head coach and offensive coordinator,” Yvette said. “He’s a brilliant X’s and O’s guy. You can give him any type of player and he will develop that man. He will get the best out of him as an athlete no matter what.”

INNOCENT DROPS QUICKLY SPIRALED into an embarrassing showing for one of Sherman’s former receivers.

“I had to pull him aside and ask him, what’s going on?” Sherman said.

The two talked briefly and Sherman sent him back onto the practice field. He dropped the next pass that came his way and they continued through the entire practice.

“The head coach came to me later on and started asking questions about him,” he said. “I had to let him know that his grandmother who raised him was real sick. I always tell my guys to keep their personal things personal and not to bring it to work – except for when it comes to family because that’s how I was raised.”

Since arriving in St. Louis, Coach Fisher has created a culture where he wants guys excited about coming to work and Sherman has bought in. His personal approach is to talk to his receivers about life, to relate everything on the football field to their lives. Anything that is important to his players, he’ll talk about with them – their kids, wives, mom and dad, brothers and sisters – anything at all.

“Every player is different,” he explained. “Different things make guys tick differently. For me, I want to know them as people because sometimes there are things that go on in life that troubles guys. So, you want to know what it is instead of just yelling or screaming at him because he makes a mistake on the field.”

Sherman is one who cares about what his players do and how they conduct themselves off the field, so he started a “Keep it Real” program with his players early on in his career.

“He earns his players’ trust,” Sherman’s wife said. “They look up to him and they appreciate him. More so than anything, they know that the conversation they have with him, stays with him and I think that helps him be a better coach. He understands what’s going on in the players’ lives outside of the NFL and that has been a successful formula for him from the beginning of time.”

STAY READY so you won’t have to get ready. It’s a quote that Sherman repeats to his group often and one that Quick will never need to write down or post in his locker.

“Coach Sherm won’t allow you to make mistakes where you shouldn’t make mistakes,” Quick said. “He expects the best out of you and he pushes you to be great.”

When training camp opened in 2012, the recently drafted Quick had all of Sherman’s attention. During one seemingly never-ending seven-on-seven period, Sherman critiqued his rookie’s every move – the remarkable catches he made, misran routes, the mental errors, his resiliency, everything.

“I stay on top of them,” Sherman said. “I don’t let anything slide. I’m very particular about details. If I see you slipping, I’m going to address it with you and that’s the way I am. I don’t care who you are because I feel that if I don’t do that, if I don’t address it, then I’m not doing my job.”

Prior to joining the Rams, Sherman coached wide receivers for the Dallas Cowboys from 2007-2010. The Cowboys had a 1,000-yard receiver in each of those seasons. Terrell Owens, who ranks third on the NFL’s all-time list for most receiving touchdowns, saw one of his best seasons in Sherman’s first year in Dallas and caught a franchise-record 15 touchdowns. He oversaw the development of Miles Austin and coached him to a Pro Bowl and career highs in every major receiving category.

“I want my players to know that I’m here to help them be the best they can be and I want to watch them grow,” Sherman said. “Just like when I was in Dallas and I had Danny Amendola. I knew he was going to be a good player and when you see something in a young man, you try to pull that out where they can use that to excel at it.”

Sherman and Amendola were reunited in St. Louis in 2012 and despite battling injuries, Amendola neared career highs in catches and receiving yards. Meanwhile, rookie Chris Givens, the 13th wide receiver drafted that year, finished fourth among NFL rookies in receiving yards and caught a pass of 50 yards or more in five consecutive games.

“I’m excited about the crew that I have,” Sherman said. “I think Kenny Britt has come in here and really done a great job. You just see great things, great work ethic. The young guys see it and they say, ‘Wow, I like the way he works. I like the energy that he brings.’ All those things are contagious.”

Britt was one of the Rams’ free agent pickups last spring. In his inaugural season with the club, he led the Rams in receiving yards and finished second in receptions. Both figures marked career highs for the six-year veteran.

“Coach Sherm won’t allow you to make mistakes where you shouldn’t make mistakes. He expects the best out of you and he pushes you to be great.”

Bailey gradually improved over the course of his sophomore campaign and finished the year with 435 receiving yards and a touchdown on 30 receptions. Of his total receptions, 25 spanned the final seven games of the season. In the previous year, Austin became the first player in NFL history to record a 95+ yard punt-return touchdown, an 80+ yard receiving touchdown, and a 65+ yard rushing touchdown in a single season.

“I truly believe when my husband is no longer in the NFL, he will be missed,” Yvette said. “He genuinely is giving and helps people without expecting anything in return. He is a man of God. His faith is so strong – he’s read the Bible multiple times from front to back – and he has been a father figure to his players from the beginning. He is the best at what he does and players love working with him because they know that he is the best.”

“FROM THE INSIDE LOOKING OUT, coaching in the NFL is not a glamorous job,” Sherman’s wife said. “It is a grueling job that requires tremendous family sacrifice.”

While focus is often shifted to NFL coaches who work tedious and tireless hours, their spouses rigorously multi-task in the background to support the family.

“For the wives, you have to be a woman of all trades, self-sufficient and you have to raise your children to do the same,” Yvette explained. “When you deeply love someone who is not only a great husband and father, you can’t classify them as sacrifices – it’s just what you do.”

Among the Rams coaching staff, Sherman has made the most coaching stops, however his wife and kids only moved with him an estimated 80 percent of the time. Upon receiving an offer to work in St. Louis with the Rams, Sherman and Yvette decided they would make Florida their permanent residence in light of Alana’s budding tennis career.

“Our youngest daughter wanted to train to be a tennis player and Florida was the best place to come,” Yvette said. “We already had a home that we traveled to over the summers, so it worked out. We made the sacrifice and it’s difficult for our daughter, but it is worth it.”

Prior to honing in on tennis, Alana played volleyball, soccer, danced and also did gymnastics. Sherman never coached any of her teams, but often provides winning advice that she leans on even after losing a match.

“I’m ‘daddy’s little girl,’” Alana said as she described her relationship with her dad. “Even though he’s far, he is always there to support and he makes that clear. It gets hard sometimes, but it’s not too bad because this has been my life. It’s nice reconnecting and seeing him when I do go and visit or when he comes home. The first thing I do is I like to run up to him and give him a big hug because he’s like a big teddy bear!”

While tennis kept Alana in Florida, it has ironically brought the family closer in several facets, particularly in the sibling rivalry category.

“My sister and I are competitive in a positive way and I like knowing I’m better at tennis than she was at my age,” Alana said through a burst of laughter. “I can beat her off the court, even though she’ll never admit it!”

In addition to the benefits tennis has provided through sisterly competition, it has been an outlet for Alana to make her parents proud.

“No matter how far away he is, he makes sure I know that he cares and is always there,” Alana said. “Especially after losing a child, he still finds ways to put a smile on his face and to make sure that we have everything we need no matter what the circumstances were. Everything that he has done is well deserved and he has worked very hard for it. I’m not saying this because he’s my dad, but I feel as if he is one of the greatest coaches the NFL has ever had and they are very lucky that he is a part of their organization.”

WHEN I’M DONE COACHING I’ll look at all the player’s lives that I touched. I’ll look at the accolades that they’ve received and if they haven’t received that, as far as a Pro Bowl or being a Hall of Famer, I’ll look at how I was able to help him be a better football player – not only a player, but a person because that’s important to me, what kind of person you are. Because when you’re a good person, that means you’re going to be good to your family. You’re going to be good to the people that are close to you. I want them to be that type of person. I don’t want them to be one way with me and be a jerk somewhere else.

You’ve got to be respected. You don’t ever want to embarrass yourself. You don’t ever want to embarrass your family and don’t embarrass this organization. I tell them, ‘You guys always have to be accountable everywhere you go.’ It’s about doing things right in life.

When I get them to do the right thing, they’re going to be fine.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like The AFROS,it's a good &!fun group to watch.

Sherman has done a good job.I see Pettis is back on the roster.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good read. Wish there was more stuff like this out there. Instead we get the same nothing stories about nothing we don't already know most of the time.

edit: Not talking about you're newsfeeds Rambill...Lol. just the general state of reporting these days.

Last edited:

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Good read. Wish there was more stuff like this out there. Instead we get the same nothing stories about nothing we don't already know most of the time.

edit: Not talking about you're newsfeeds Rambill...Lol. just the general state of reporting these days.

I don't like the news much these days. I love sports but I can't stand watching ESPN if there isn't a game on. There's more drama on it than the Maury Show. The worst is when I'm at a bar and the talking heads are on muted while popular music is playing. Seeing this animated face doesn't make my beer taste any better!!!
tumblr_lkqby3Mxf11qax0spo1_500.jpg

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I like The AFROS,it's a good &!fun group to watch.

Sherman has done a good job.I see Pettis is back on the roster.
Austin Pettis is not on the Rams Roster. He signed with the San Diego Chargers.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is a very nice heart warming read.

And I love heartwarming reads as much as the next guy.

But Sherman is paid to develop WR's and get positive results on the field. And the sooner the better.

Sooooo...

How to explain the non development of Givens after a promising rookie year?

Or Quick not "getting it" until year three? Coincidentally the year Britt showed up and took Quick under his wing?

And Tavon as a WR? After he was regarded worthy of forfeiting our 2nd rounder (Warford) in a trade up to #8?

And Bailey waiting until game 9 of his rookie year to get his first target, much less start?

Please...

Sherman needs to show us the money, if you ask me. That's what NFL coaches are expected and well paid to do.

Sorry. Nothing personal against Sherman here. It's just business.