Coach O Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Camp Report8/3/2015

Players not participating:Chris Long, Mark Barron, Brandon McGee, Cody Wichmann

Todd Gurley, limited to individual and minimal unit drills

EJ Gaines left practice after getting tangled up and stepped on by Kenny Britt in 1 on 1 passing drills. Did not return.

Emory Blake rolled an ankle in 1 on 1 passing drills. Returned to practice.

TJ McDonald participated in 7 on 7 drills. Limited otherwise.

This report is a summary of the weekend practices combined. I will try to share my observations on a more generalized basis.

OVERALL THEME: DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE

• Whether it be in individual drills (OL/DL) or team drills (11 on 11) it is clear the defense is dominating. They are playing FAST, and reckless.
• Gregg Williams has taken off the training wheels. Throwing a variety of looks and blitzes at a young, inexperienced Offensive Line and it almost doesn’t seem fair.
• Ogletree looks like a ProBowl OLB.

SECONDARY THEME: OFFENSE? WHERE WILL IT COME FROM?

• Passing game looks anemic
o Too early to tell? Or cause for concern?
o Foles to Cook is one of the few bright spots
o Mannion….. better than expected
o Davis/Keenum…… SIGH!!!!!!

• Running game will have to set the tone for EVERYTHING they do
• Gurley/Mason need to be dynamic for this offense to have a chance at all

Offensive Line: This is an overview look at how things shaped up thru the 3 days:

1st Unit:Robinson Saffold Barnes/Jones/Rhaney Brown Havenstien

2nd Unit: Williams Washington Jones/Rhaney/Barnes Reynolds Donnal

3rd Unit: Battle Wang Rhaney/Barnes/Jones Bond Baker

• Obviously, the Center position is set up as a rotation among the 3. They kept this pretty consistent throughout the weekend.

• On the 2nd Unit, they switched days on the Right side of the line. Friday & Sunday they had Reynolds at RG, with Donnal at RT. On Saturday, they switched sport with Reynolds at RT, Donnal at RG.

• Much has been reported about the progress of the individual drills, and how the OL has struggled, specifically the Centers. I understand the spotlight is shining brightly and focused on these three players. But there is ZERO to be taken from the 1 on 1 results when it comes to evaluating Offensive Linemen when they are in shorts and jerseys. Once the pads go on, you will see the tide turn dramatically.

o That being said, trying to judge a players impact in 1 on 1 pass blocking drills (especially interior linemen) is pointless. The key to a productive UNIT, is communication and being on the same page.

• In relation to the team drills, one thing I tend to look at in comparing the players is how does the group perform as a unit? Is there a noticeable difference in communication, and rhythm? I realize people tend to want to evaluate players INDIVIDUALLY, but in this instance, that can be futile.

• Using that as a base line for MY EVALUATIONS, its Barnes’ job to lose. While Rhaney is said to be in the mix, I will be surprised if this remains a 3 man competition after the first preseason game. It will come down to whether Barnes or Jones separates themselves and one of them grabs hold of the job

Defensive Line:

1st Unit: Hayes Brockers Donald Quinn

2nd Unit: Hayes Worthington Fairley Sims

3rd Unit: IfediWestbrooks Trinca-PasatLongacre

• With Long not available, Hayes has been taking all the 1st unit reps.
• The one guy who has stood out, is Worthington. Much bigger than expected, and has shown to be much more physical than advertised.
• Ifedi has shown flashes of potential. Trinca-Pasat and Longacre have NO CHANCE.

Linebackers:

1st Unit: OgletreeLaurinatisAyers

2nd Unit: Hager Dunbar Bates

3rd Unit:Malone Toomer McFadden

• Ogletree is playing fast, and is all over the field. Laurinaitisshows no signs of any lingering effects of last years ankle issues. Ayers appears to be an upgrade over Dunbar. He does seem to struggle in coverage, but his size and athleticism are very noticeable.

• Hager seems to have pretty good instincts, and should be a big contributor on Special teams.

• The biggest thing that stands out to me about the LB corp, in this defense, Williams is able to bring guys from anywhere and at anytime. Pressure PressurePressure is the game plan thus far. And it’s been VERY EFFECTIVE.

Defensive Backs:

1st Unit: Jenkins Johnson McDonald McLeod

2nd Unit: Roberson Gaines Davis Alexander

3rd Unit: Joyner Claiborne Hagen Bryant

• With Gaines out, Joyner manned the Nickel CB with the 1st unit. Alexander has taken most of the 11 on 11 reps with the 1st unit in McDonalds place

• While getting a ton of reps, Alexander also is getting a big dose of G. Williams’ wrath. Nary a play gets run without Williams barking at Alexander about positioning or technique. Barronneeds to get back soon.

• The one guy who flash, is Christian Bryant. One of my sleepers to make the team. Might be the best pure Free Safety on the roster.

• Jenkins looks like he is focused, and dare I say it……. Primed to be the BPOT!!!!! All the talent, and it is flashing out here daily.

Highlights:

• For the most part, the focus has been on the short passing game. Lots of crossing routes, and quick release throws to TEs and backs in the flat. When they have gone downfield, much of the success has been on seam routes to TEs.

• Defense is having their way in bringing pressure from all over the field. With the inexperience of the Offensive Line, more plays than not, would result in sacks or negative yardage if they were “live”.

• In what has become a staple in a Gregg Williams defense, giving up a ton of underneath, check down completions is expected. Then to watch the defense fly to the ball is everything. The best way to get on G Williams “radar” is to NOT close fast and limit the yards after catch. But it happens far too much not to be by design.

Quarterbacks:

Foles is very good when his first read is there, and he gets the ball out on time. He makes all the throws. Very concerned about him holding on to the ball too long and when he has to go through his progressions, to say he struggles is an understatement. He tends to get happy feet, and more times than not, forces a throw into traffic. He has thrown some BAD Interceptions in quite a few of these situation.

His obvious strengths are his size, and very good touch on the seam routes. He seems to have a comfort level with Jared Cook, and could end up being a dynamic combination as the year goes on. He is accurate on the intermediate and longer throws, but tends to be erratic on some of the shorter quick release throws.

Notice he has a tendency of double clutching when trying to find an open receiver. I was hoping to see more from him.

MANNION has been a pleasant surprise. Just has a look of confidence, and doesn’t give the impression that the stage is too big for him. The sooner he wins the #2 QB job, the better.

Keenum & Davis: The competition for the final roster spot (assuming they keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster) will come down to which one of these guys steps up and shows they can be counted on.

Keenum looks like a shorter version of Kellen Clemens, with a better arm. He can make most of the throws, but is listed at 6’1, which is generous. AT this point, IMO, he is the favorite to stick.

Davis has shown again, many of the accuracy issues that have been there in previous training camps. His best hope, IMO, is they know he is a “gamer”, in that he will make a play or two if called upon. At the same time, if they base their decision moving forward off of PRACTICE reps, his days could and should be numbered. AGAIN!

Running Backs:

Mason: Has the look of someone who knows he belongs. Quick, and more confident, he is going to make sure he is still in the plans even after Gurley is ready. Biggest thing I have noticed, is his willingness to step up in blitz pickup. Attitude and desire go along way for someone is size.

Cunningham: appears to be “thicker” and not as quick. He still has flashed when given the carries, but just doesn’t seem to have the same burst as last year.

Pead: Yes, Isaiah PEAD. Has shown up looking invigorated. Not seeing any lingering effects of the ACL injury. Is back to doing what he does on Special Teams (is taking 1st unit reps on coverage units), and still shows his athleticism out of the backfield. In what might be a surprise to many, he looks like he wants to make this roster this year.

Wide Receivers:

Britt: still looks like the “leader” of the group. He can be seen “coaching up” other guys in the unit regularly throughout practice. Has picked up where he left off last year and is a favorite target of Foles. No reason to think he won’t be as good or better than 2014.

Quick: While being “protected” (wearing a “no contact” cover on his helmet in 11 on 11 drills), he looks like he is picking up where he left off last year as well. One of the highlight catches on the first day of practice, adjusting to an underthrown ball on a deep sideline fade route, he went up and made the catch over Gaines. He just looks like he finally believes and knows he belongs.

Bailey: is quietly having a very good start to camp. Has caught everything thrown his way. Still is limited in the routes they ask him to turn, but he has shown the ability to catch the ball in traffic. Look for him to have an expanded role.

Austin: In Quick’s absence, Austin has lined up out wide the majority of his reps. Other than the quick hitches, and or bubble screens, he hasn’t made much of an impact going down field. Once again, his best bet for success, is being able to work on crossing routes, hopefully being able to get behind the LBs who will be forced to honor the running game, opening up some space on play action.

I will put together an overview of the rest of the offense & defense after the scrimmage.

OVERALL Observations: “they will be a better team if………”

• Position Competitions
o Center: Barnes wins the center job. Barrett Jones will prove to be a much more valuable asset as the primary backup at all 3 interior line spots. At this point, the depth at guard is seriously thin. Garrett Reynolds is the best option. So having Jones available at all 3 spots makes them a better team. Unless Jones is the clear winner of the center competition, they will be a better team if Barnes is the starter.

o Cornerback: Tru Johnson wins the starting CB job. With EJ Gainesfocusing on the Nickel CB job. This allows them to put the best 3 players on the field the majority of the time. Gaines is much better inside, and if Johnson gets back to his pre-injury form, they are better all around.

o Quarterback: Mannion wins the backup job. Even after 3 days, he shows much more upside than either Keenum or Davis. It’s just a matter of time before this happens officially, but the sooner the better.

o Running back: Pead wins the 3rd down back job. I know this will not be popular with the majority, but Pead is still the most athletic and talented back on the roster not named Gurley. If he can be the player they drafted him to be, they will be a better team if he beats out Cunningham for this role. (not saying it will happen, but…… don’t write him off just yet)

• INTANGIBLES:
o Coaching additions that have flown under the radar: Chris Weinke & Jeff Garcia

▪ Weinke should have a major impact on the QB position. He has already shown that he is very good at communicating with the individuals QBs after each drill. His reputation as an instructor is well documented, and should be a huge asset to this staff.

▪ Jeff Garcia sure looks different in BLUE & GOLD. Working with the WRs, he brings a passion to the game that is still evident. If anyone can instill how much pure “passion and desire” can make a difference in a player’s game, it would be Garcia. Working with the likes of Austin, Quick, and even Givens (while he is still here), it can only help them if they learn from his example. BTW…. He looks like he could still play. And has been seen regularly staying after practice throwing to guys getting in some extra work.

o Rob Boras: more prominent role in the offense. Impressive and very detailed oriented coach when working with the TEs, he will bring those same qualities to the Running game. He has been much more visible already in the 11 on 11 team drills, and should pay big dividends in making the transition to a “zone” vs. “power” running scheme.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Absolutely beautiful. @CoachO has the best reports, no offense to anyone else. Really glad to hear about Ogletree. Really disappointed to hear about Foles.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The best way to get on G Williams “radar” is to NOT close fast and limit the yards after catch. But it happens far too much not to be by design.
"What happens" not to be by design? Not sure I understand that final sentence.
Very concerned about him holding on to the ball too long and when he has to go through his progressions, to say he struggles is an understatement. He tends to get happy feet, and more times than not, forces a throw into traffic. He has thrown some BAD Interceptions in quite a few of these situation.
not good

ram007

Starter
Thanks Coach O!

Bad footwork and holding onto ball too long was the only issues Foles had the first 3 years.I thought he would improve them. Dang. Dang :(

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"What happens" not to be by design? Not sure I understand that final sentence.

not good

I will humbly offer that I've had this discussion with Coach. I believe he's saying the defense giving up the short passes and then swarming to the ball happens too often not to be by design.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
You guys still aren't helping my Foles worries :(. Can someone make up a story today (not sure if there's an open practice or not) about him looking like an elite QB and the answer to all our problems? You don't even need to attend camp :bueller:.

Alan

Legend
"The one guy who flash, is Christian Bryant. One of my sleepers to make the team. Might be the best pure Free Safety on the roster. "
Yes, PLEASE!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
You guys still aren't helping my Foles worries :(. Can someone make up a story today (not sure if there's an open practice or not) about him looking like an elite QB and the answer to all our problems? You don't even need to attend camp :bueller:.

Camp is a closed ST practice. Got to wait until tomorrow until we can get back on the Foles hype train.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What exactly is the problem with CLong? His surgery was almost a year ago and he played late last season.

RamzFanz

Damnit

I'm on it.

I'm headed to my secret spot to watch the all pads special teams practice and I'll make up some doozies accompanied by photoshoped pics.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I will humbly offer that I've had this discussion with Coach. I believe he's saying the defense giving up the short passes and then swarming to the ball happens too often not to be by design.
ok, that makes sense. thanks.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Thanks Coach O!

Bad footwork and holding onto ball too long was the only issues Foles had the first 3 years.I thought he would improve them. Dang. Dang :(

You think he has bad footwork? I've never gotten that from Foles myself.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach O!

I think that was probably more about wishful thinking...frankly, I'm surprised that so many folks underestimate Kelly's ability to evaluate QB's. Foles has flaws, the question is, what will this coaching staff do to over come or minimize them?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If Benny is bigger and slower, who goes to ST to return kicks? He did a solid job last year at that position.
Pead?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If Benny is bigger and slower, who goes to ST to return kicks? He did a solid job last year at that position.
Pead?
image.jpg

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
What exactly is the problem with CLong? His surgery was almost a year ago and he played late last season.

Tightness in his back apparently. He should be fine they just don't want him to aggravate anything.