Chris Long making progress toward return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Chris Long making progress toward return
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13209/chris-long-making-progress-toward-return

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams went through a full practice Thursday after Wednesday's walkthrough and made progress toward getting healthy.

On Wednesday, the Rams had 13 players listed on the injury report with eight listed as not participating. Things were a little better Thursday with only four listed as non participants: guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder), cornerback Janoris Jenkins (knee), defensive tackle Aaron Donald (shoulder) and safety Cody Davis (concussion).

Of players not on the injury report but working back from injury, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that defensive end Chris Long is making progress. Long is eligible to begin practicing this week as part of his injured reserve/designated to return spot, but the Rams aren't rushing him back.

"He's a little ways away but we're very encouraged where he's at," Fisher said. "As he is too. The surgical procedure which is not an issue for him right now, that's good. It's just the fact that he was non-weight bearing and in a cast so you're dealing with natural atrophy so he has to get all his strength back."

Here's the full injury report from Thursday:

Did not participate: G Rodger Saffold (shoulder), CB Janoris Jenkins (knee), DT Aaron Donald (shoulder), S Cody Davis (concussion).

Limited participation: S Rodney McLeod (knee), LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar (toe).

Full participation: DE William Hayes (foot), C Scott Wells (elbow), CB Trumaine Johnson (knee), C Tim Barnes (shoulder), WR Kenny Britt (hip), CB Lamarcus Joyner (hip), CB Marcus Roberson (ankle).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am anxious to see how C Long impacts the pass rush. He might not rack up league leading sack counts, but dude commands attention.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am anxious to see how C Long impacts the pass rush. He might not rack up league leading sack counts, but dude commands attention.

And unbeknownst to most of us the rest of the defense feeds off of Chris Long and play at a much higher level when he's on the field.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I hope that he can cover the WRs and TEs so that the pass rush can have two seconds to get to the QB. Some one has to fill the massive cushion that our DBs are giving up. Otherwise I'm afraid that he will have little impact.

lockdnram21

Legend
Our sacks have tanked without him. I never dreamed he had that big of an impact. Glad we already locked him up, worth every penny..
Sacks have went down because there getting rid of ball quicker. Even when we're in preseason with him we couldn't get sacks. Teams coping off what Green bay did to us in preseason. We've gotten better since Hayes has started playing like himself and the emergence of Donald

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
C.Long has been missed and a perfect example of "You never know what you have until you lose it."

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
We should be playing our corners tighter then the Virgin Mary. The sacks will come. But you gotta give the Dline time to get to the QB.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
We should be playing our corners tighter then the Virgin Mary. The sacks will come. But you gotta give the Dline time to get to the QB.

That's just crazy talk! Just because it worked last year doesn't mean that it will work now, with even better personnel. Besides GW is too aggressive for that plan to cross his mind. He has to get all of the sacks by blitzing.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And unbeknownst to most of us the rest of the defense feeds off of Chris Long and play at a much higher level when he's on the field.

Yup. He draws doubles much of the time and he put the QB in Quinn's lap more than a few times last year. I know there are some people who don't think he is all that good but they've been suspiciously quiet this year LOL. He comes at the OL/QB all day and that relentless attack is very much missed. This season has underscored exactly how important one guy can be to an entire unit.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sacks have went down because there getting rid of ball quicker. Even when we're in preseason with him we couldn't get sacks. Teams coping off what Green bay did to us in preseason. We've gotten better since Hayes has started playing like himself and the emergence of Donald

Nope, it's Long not being on the field.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Count me as one who believes the team misses Long's energy, hustle, leadership, and snaps (keeping others fresher). But, I must have missed all the so-called double teams and/or attention he commanded.

lockdnram21

Legend
they dont trust the young corners. Gw said in interview that once tru comes back we can play tighter coverage

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'm not saying that Chris Long solves all of the defense's woes but for those of you who think he doesn't make a significant impact you must be smokin that good shit.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm not saying that Chris Long solves all of the defense's woes but for those of you who think he doesn't make a significant impact you must be smokin that good crap.
all im saying hes not the reason were not getting sacks. Go back to the green bay game game in preseason when he was there and How Quick Rodgers was getting rid of the ball. the announcers were saying thats the blueprint against our D line. The rest of the teams have been using that blueprint and its evident. Go back to the KC game they kept saying Smith is getting the ball away so quick doesnt matter who o you send there not going to get to him.

61Woody

UDFA
Name
Jeff
all im saying hes not the reason were not getting sacks. Go back to the green bay game game in preseason when he was there and How Quick Rodgers was getting rid of the ball. the announcers were saying thats the blueprint against our D line. The rest of the teams have been using that blueprint and its evident. Go back to the KC game they kept saying Smith is getting the ball away so quick doesnt matter who o you send there not going to get to him.
Don't disagree with you there but we must have the worst QB/WRs in the league as I have not seen us able to do that at all with the aggressive Ds we have faced this year.(Or is it just the OCs play calling)