Chip "Up-Tempo" Kelly at it again with 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This only works if you score, Chip. If you don't then your defense gets worn out real quick. Plus it requires a QB whose brain is able to process information quickly and get the ball out in a hurry and to the correct target.
Personally I think he's got just the right QB in place!

QUINN.jpg

(y)(y):snicker::shades::cheers:

fearsomefour

Legend
Faulk was the key yup......he ran for 159 yards on 31 carries I just looked it up. And on the drive to ice the game he got the ball 7 times out of the 8 plays and scored.

That was all him. He carried the day.
That was right in the magic time when he was the best player in football.....physical ability and mental game all came together....a special, special player.
I hope we can get a fraction of this from Gurley. Would love to see him in the screen/passing game too. Get him the ball in space.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That was right in the magic time when he was the best player in football.....physical ability and mental game all came together....a special, special player.
I hope we can get a fraction of this from Gurley. Would love to see him in the screen/passing game too. Get him the ball in space.
I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of comparing Faulk and Gurley this year, especially if they use Gurley like you, and I hope they do!:snicker::shades:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I hope we get a fraction of Faulks success from Gurley, too. 10/10. ...yes. I like that fraction. (y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This applies to most coaches actually.
This is why guys will only run a 3/4 or a 4/3 for example....they are comfortable in certain schemes or coach certain schemes and thats it.
Kellys system just puts so much pressure on his D (if they aren't scoring 40 + points) it makes it tough to win.
Martz had his faults too....not a good in game adjuster. If his game plan was falling flat he would just double down and do more of the same....the NFL Title game versus the Eagles (I think) was a rare exception....pounded the ball to victory the second half.

Eh, I don't really mean that. I mean Gregg Williams runs a 4-3 on defense but he adjusts his scheme to the guys he has available. He runs the scheme in a way that best makes use of the collective strengths of his defense. I'm not saying that Kelly needs to change the system he runs. I'm saying that he needs to adapt to what he has.

If you have a running game and a defense, slow the offense down. You don't have to drop the no huddle. Just slow things down. You can still put pressure on the defense by forcing them to always be on their toes (kind of like we did vs. the Giants in 2011 with the sugar huddle concept that led to them faking injuries) since you can snap it at any time. But then you avoid exposing your weaknesses and undermining your strengths.

fearsomefour

Legend
Eh, I don't really mean that. I mean Gregg Williams runs a 4-3 on defense but he adjusts his scheme to the guys he has available. He runs the scheme in a way that best makes use of the collective strengths of his defense. I'm not saying that Kelly needs to change the system he runs. I'm saying that he needs to adapt to what he has.

If you have a running game and a defense, slow the offense down. You don't have to drop the no huddle. Just slow things down. You can still put pressure on the defense by forcing them to always be on their toes (kind of like we did vs. the Giants in 2011 with the sugar huddle concept that led to them faking injuries) since you can snap it at any time. But then you avoid exposing your weaknesses and undermining your strengths.
I agree 100% then.

ausmurp

Starter
Remember Chip Kelly is a young inexperienced coach. This is his second attempt, I'm sure he will adjust things. He's a smart person in general and he reminds me a bit of Arians. I expect the niners to be better this year. Not good but better than they were last yr.

ausmurp

Starter
Hyde is a very good RB btw, if he can put out a healthy year he will play good. His ability to catch the ball may make him their primary weapon. He's one of my sleepers.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Hyde is a very good RB btw, if he can put out a healthy year he will play good. His ability to catch the ball may make him their primary weapon. He's one of my sleepers.
He's one of my sleepers too. Yes. Yes. Lots of sleepy fellows after that Monday night when Donald and Ogletree are finished with them. :boxing::boxing:

:mrburnsevil:

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
The best news for Rams fans this offseason was the addition of Chip Kelly to the Whiners, and their lack of addition/subtraction at the QB position.
Lol. I, for one, will miss him coaching the eagles.

HellRam

Starter
I'd rather he use Gabbert. Kaepernick scares me far more than Gabbert.

Yeah that was one of the reason's I did not want Kelly to go to the Niners. Chip very well may turn Kaps career around. I'm hoping not... unfortunately however they are both a good fit for system and style in which Kap plays and Kelly coaches.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
First of all: I hate the 49ers (spit) more than any other team. With that said:
You gotta hand it to Chip Kelly, he is certainly dancing with the girl who brought him to the NFL. He isn't going to quit. Gotta respect that. Good for him and that means good for us.
As others have said, Kaepernick cannot process information that quickly and a game for us will be the equivalent of a Juggs machine practice for our DBs. And if Kap. can't process that quickly his Oline is going to be a revolving door for the front 7.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Best comment: "They should both feel insulted."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-kaepernick-and-gabbert-as-similar-players/

Chip Kelly sees Kaepernick and Gabbert as similar players
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 5, 2016

5a36de57aed2f2ec5710fe795b10d57c.jpeg
Getty Images

San Francisco coach Chip Kelly doesn’t see a lot of difference between the two players in his quarterback competition, Colin Kaepernick and Blaine Gabbert.

Kelly said on 95.7 The Game that he doesn’t see a lot of difference between the two players, and they’re both equally good fits for his offense.

They’re similar. They have a similar skill set,” Kelly said, via NinersNation.com. “They’re both 6-foot-4-plus. They both can really run, which will help keep plays alive. Obviously, we’re not a quarterback-run offense, but if the quarterback can run, you can use a little of that to your advantage. And they both have extremely strong arms. So, from a skill set standpoint, the two of them are kind of cut out of the same mold.”

Kelly said the presence of Kaepernick and Gabbert was one of the reasons he wanted the 49ers job.

“I was excited, and you know part of looking at the roster, when you have an opportunity to analyze what’s out there,” Kelly said. “I was excited about what they have here at the quarterback position. Obviously Kap’s coming off an injury, was on injured reserve, and is back getting healthy. But I thought Blaine when he played, played well. So I think there’s talent there. It’ll be a good competition when we get Kap fully healthy.”

Not too long ago, it would have sounded crazy to compare Kapernick and Gabbert — Kaepernick was viewed as one of the NFL’s bright young stars, and Gabbert was viewed as one of the NFL’s biggest recent draft busts. But Kaepernick played worse than expected last year while Gabbert played better than expected. Now it appears, to Kelly anyway, that they’re similar players.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Not too long ago it would have been crazy to compare Gabbert and Kaepernick. But now it is perfectly sane. Just like Lloyd Braun is perfectly sane.