Chip "Up-Tempo" Kelly at it again with 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This only works if you score, Chip. If you don't then your defense gets worn out real quick. Plus it requires a QB whose brain is able to process information quickly and get the ball out in a hurry and to the correct target. Gabbert and Kaepernick don't seem to fit that description.
*********************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...at-it-with-up-tempo-practicing-in-49ers-otas/

Chip Kelly back at it with up-tempo practicing in 49ers OTAs
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 25, 2016

505878242.jpg
Getty Images

The 49ers are getting a crash course in Chip Kelly during OTAs, learning in a hurry about the kind of pace he wants to keep.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, the 49ers ran 24 offensive plays during an eight-minute team period today.

That’s an average of one snap every 20 seconds (#math).

If that sounds familiar, it should, as his first days with the Eagles were also about establishing his tempo, which is usually charming in the first days of any regime. Of course, when the results stopped showing, his Eagles players quickly got tired of it (and tired).

Tackle Lane Johnson was among the loudest, saying keeping up such a pace from OTAs through the season left players exhausted by the end of the season.

If it works, the 49ers might be able to gain some kind of advantage on offense. But considering their quarterbacks are either Colin Kaepernick or Blaine Gabbert, it could also mean a lot of long days for their defense.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
The best news for Rams fans this offseason was the addition of Chip Kelly to the Whiners, and their lack of addition/subtraction at the QB position.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is great.
It means Gabbert and Kap, will be able to throw more INT'S at a faster pace.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
This is great.
It means Gabbert and Kap, will be able to throw more INT'S at a faster pace.

I don't think Kap can process the game fast enough; he had the most success in an offense that had him make one or two reads, and then decide to run with the ball. He is not a pure pocket passer. That play against us last year when Jenkins decided to be aggressive and completely leave Torrey Smith uncovered is a prime example of his lack of awareness and ability to make decisions on the fly.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't think Kap can process the game fast enough; he had the most success in an offense that had him make one or two reads, and then decide to run with the ball. He is not a pure pocket passer. That play against us last year when Jenkins decided to be aggressive and completely leave Torrey Smith uncovered is a prime example of his lack of awareness and ability to make decisions on the fly.
I don't think he can either.
I certainly hope they give Kap every opportunity, though.
I love watching our D sack him. Over and over again.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The 49ers lack any real talent to speak of. No matter how they run their offense, it's not going to be very threatening :neener:

Psycho_X

Legend
God the thought of Kap having to be in a constant hurry just makes me think of all the bullets he'll be whipping over his receivers heads. Can imagine all of the tipped balls and interceptions that'll cause.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
God the thought of Kap having to be in a constant hurry just makes me think of all the bullets he'll be whipping over his receivers heads. Can imagine all of the tipped balls and interceptions that'll cause.

I don't think CK will make it through pre season as the starter, I could be wrong but I don't think he's going to make it. He wouldn't even be there if they could have found a team to take him. When you get outplayed by BGabbert you have a VERY short leash even with a new coach. I don't think CK is smart enough to do anything in Kelly's offense and now that the NFL has seen a lot of what Kelly does it's just going to be so much fun watching the 49ers.

I would love to see them mired in shit for a few more years while our Rams rise up.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just wonder how long it will be before Chip starts Trading away his MVP's!?!(y);):rolllaugh:

Psycho_X

Legend
I don't think CK will make it through pre season as the starter, I could be wrong but I don't think he's going to make it. He wouldn't even be there if they could have found a team to take him. When you get outplayed by BGabbert you have a VERY short leash even with a new coach. I don't think CK is smart enough to do anything in Kelly's offense and now that the NFL has seen a lot of what Kelly does it's just going to be so much fun watching the 49ers.

I would love to see them mired in crap for a few more years while our Rams rise up.

You're probably right, all though Gabbert might not make it all the way through game 1 of the season. :sneaky::whistle:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
49.jpg

I think the up-tempo is going to be a tremendous success. Fans will show up by the...well...dozens!

49ercop.jpg

...and the carry-over affect will rock the division. You know the fan base travels well.

:LOL:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Is Chip really this crazy? Oh well....

I still think Kaep has some talent....Hell, I think Gabbert has some talent too...decent rb....couple decent wrs....still a dangerous team imo.

Ram65

Legend
Up tempo all the time is a team burnout waiting to happen. If Chip could incorporate some slower tempo to go along with the fast tempo it could be successful. Hope this is a big fail. Glad the Rams have more depth on defense just in case.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Yeah, like @LesBaker said, the shine is wearing off that Chip Kelly attack plan. Factor in that his receiving corps consists of... there's only do much heavy lifting that Carlos Hyde can do.

It's almost sad, but at the same time, I don't think the Whiners were all to sympathetic for us from 06-now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The 49ers lack any real talent to speak of. No matter how they run their offense, it's not going to be very threatening :neener:

It is interesting how quickly they fell from grace. Harbaugh built a house of cards and the 49ers fans bought into it completely. They believed that they were the next long NFC west Dynasty. In order for that to happen teams have to stay young and have to have a real NFL QB.

Yeah, like @LesBaker said, the shine is wearing off that Chip Kelly attack plan. Factor in that his receiving corps consists of... there's only do much heavy lifting that Carlos Hyde can do.

It's almost sad, but at the same time, I don't think the Whiners were all to sympathetic for us from 06-now.

Fuck the 9ers fans. They are all a bunch of assholes in my experience.

fearsomefour

Legend
It will be interesting to see how the O will work or not work. Part of Kelly's O that helped protect Foles was a lack of reading on many throws. Predetermined throws. This will help Kap as well. Taking the snap and getting the ball out quickly without having to read. The running element is interesting with him as well.
If Chip is going to run an O closer to when he first came into the league Kap is a better fit, if he wants to run more of a pro offense then Gabbart is probably a better fit.
Either way I hope it fails.
I hate the Whiners as much as anyone and more than most. The Rams have not exactly earned the right to take anyone for granted.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I laugh at the people who call Kelly one of the best minds in football. The guy has a system and he runs it no matter what. That's not a brilliant mind. Mike Martz is one of the few guys that I'd say is the exception to that rule. Because he was guilty of the same thing but he was a brilliant mind if you look at his ability to find and develop QBs.

Anyways, Kelly actually had a team that could do big things last year in Philly. But he stupidly ran his system. It ran that team into the ground by playing up their weaknesses and undermining their strengths. He's about to do the same thing in San Francisco. Only a fool thinks it's a bright idea to run a no huddle uptempo offense with a team whose strengths lie in its ability to run the ball and play defense. I'm glad SF got him.

fearsomefour

Legend
I laugh at the people who call Kelly one of the best minds in football. The guy has a system and he runs it no matter what. That's not a brilliant mind. Mike Martz is one of the few guys that I'd say is the exception to that rule. Because he was guilty of the same thing but he was a brilliant mind if you look at his ability to find and develop QBs.

Anyways, Kelly actually had a team that could do big things last year in Philly. But he stupidly ran his system. It ran that team into the ground by playing up their weaknesses and undermining their strengths. He's about to do the same thing in San Francisco. Only a fool thinks it's a bright idea to run a no huddle uptempo offense with a team whose strengths lie in its ability to run the ball and play defense. I'm glad SF got him.
This applies to most coaches actually.
This is why guys will only run a 3/4 or a 4/3 for example....they are comfortable in certain schemes or coach certain schemes and thats it.
Kellys system just puts so much pressure on his D (if they aren't scoring 40 + points) it makes it tough to win.
Martz had his faults too....not a good in game adjuster. If his game plan was falling flat he would just double down and do more of the same....the NFL Title game versus the Eagles (I think) was a rare exception....pounded the ball to victory the second half.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This applies to most coaches actually.
This is why guys will only run a 3/4 or a 4/3 for example....they are comfortable in certain schemes or coach certain schemes and thats it.
Kellys system just puts so much pressure on his D (if they aren't scoring 40 + points) it makes it tough to win.
Martz had his faults too....not a good in game adjuster. If his game plan was falling flat he would just double down and do more of the same....the NFL Title game versus the Eagles (I think) was a rare exception....pounded the ball to victory the second half.

Faulk was the key yup......he ran for 159 yards on 31 carries I just looked it up. And on the drive to ice the game he got the ball 7 times out of the 8 plays and scored.

That was all him. He carried the day.