Chiefs extend QB Alex Smith: 4 years $68mil

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
He turned the Chiefs offense around. Unless you make the case that Andy Reid turned it around. Or both.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Definition of QB purgatory. Bad deal for KC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if he would have either, but that's not how you measure a QB's worth. The Chiefs had to pay more than he would have gotten on the open market because they would have lost a QB in the process if he tested it. Then where are they? Dude's a winner, and that's all that matters in this QB-starved environment. 53 TDs and 17 Ints with a 94.6 QB Rating (average) over the past 3 years (30-9-1 record) commands elite QB money, IMO.

You know I respect you, X, but his stats are a lot better looking than his actual performance. And the winner line sounds a lot like what people say about Tebow.

My opinion of Alex Smith is that he's an average QB.

A55VA6

Legend
He's a solid QB. He should be happy with that contract, that's for sure.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know I respect you, X, but his stats are a lot better looking than his actual performance. And the winner line sounds a lot like what people say about Tebow.

He's a second tier QB - he's not Rodgers or Manning or the like.

However, while he won't regularly take over a game - he can make the throws, and most importantly doesn't make game killing mistakes that often - hence his 53 TD to 17 int ration.

And QBs who are second tier like that are getting paid around $17 million per season. Add in a history of mostly health, and he's not being overpaid in the NFL 2014. Like I said - he took a shorter than usual contract for his position, in exchange for a higher than usual amount of it guaranteed. Both sides should be happy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I agree his on-field presence (for lack of a better word) isn't awe-inspiring, but he's proven to be an effective QB who plays quite well within his type of system. His first few years in the NFL were just marred by ineffective coaching and lackluster surroundings. Once everything stabilized around him, and he was actually developed correctly, he began to flourish. I do know the Chiefs could do a lot worse than Alex Smith, and they've done quite well with him. It shouldn't come as a surprise that he really took off under Harblah and Andy Reid. Two of the better QB-friendly coaches in the league. Hence, the winner comment. Do I think he puts teams on his back and "wins"? No, I don't think that about any QB. But I do know that his team (and former team) were in no way hindered with him under center.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a second tier QB - he's not Rodgers or Manning or the like.

Disagree. He's fourth tier QB imo.
First Tier(in no order)
Manning
Brady
Brees
Rodgers

Second Tier
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Wilson
Romo

Third Tier
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck

Fourth Tier
Matt Stafford
Jay Cutler
Alex Smith
Andy Dalton
Colin Kaepernick
Sam Bradford

I purposefully left Nick Foles off the list because I'm not sure where to put him. Torn between third and fourth tier with Foles.

And QBs who are second tier like that are getting paid around $17 million per season. Add in a history of mostly health, and he's not being overpaid in the NFL 2014. Like I said - he took a shorter than usual contract for his position, in exchange for a higher than usual amount of it guaranteed. Both sides should be happy.

I think you can do better for $17 million per year and that sort of guaranteed money.

I agree his on-field presence (for lack of a better word) isn't awe-inspiring, but he's proven to be an effective QB who plays quite well within his type of system. His first few years in the NFL were just marred by ineffective coaching and lackluster surroundings. Once everything stabilized around him, and he was actually developed correctly, he began to flourish. I do know the Chiefs could do a lot worse than Alex Smith, and they've done quite well with him. It shouldn't come as a surprise that he really took off under Harblah and Andy Reid. Two of the better QB-friendly coaches in the league. Hence, the winner comment. Do I think he puts teams on his back and "wins"? No, I don't think that about any QB. But I do know that his team (and former team) were in no way hindered with him under center.

Nor do I think they're bolstered tremendously. He's sold but unspectacular. He doesn't take risks. And while that works with a guy like Charles in the back-field and when the Chiefs defense is dominating, it also can hurt you when the team needs the passing game to shoulder the load.

The one thing I will say about him, Alex Smith shows up for the playoffs and that makes a lot of difference. Nobody can take that away.

But he's not a guy that's going to make your team into something that it isn't. Know what I mean?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
First Tier(in no order)
Manning
Brady
Brees
Rodgers

Second Tier
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Wilson
Romo

Third Tier
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck

Fourth Tier
Matt Stafford
Jay Cutler
Alex Smith
Andy Dalton
Colin Kaepernick
Sam Bradford

I purposefully left Nick Foles off the list because I'm not sure where to put him. Torn between third and fourth tier with Foles.

I think you can do better for $17 million per year and that sort of guaranteed money.

Nor do I think they're bolstered tremendously. He's sold but unspectacular. He doesn't take risks. And while that works with a guy like Charles in the back-field and when the Chiefs defense is dominating, it also can hurt you when the team needs the passing game to shoulder the load.

The one thing I will say about him, Alex Smith shows up for the playoffs and that makes a lot of difference. Nobody can take that away.

But he's not a guy that's going to make your team into something that it isn't. Know what I mean?

I like the tier breakdown you used there. It's a solid ranking and while I might slide a guy from one tier to the next, it's splitting hairs to do so.

Your list is 17 QB's, which is about the top half of the league. A team can win with any one of those guys, IMO.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think he and Sam are similar in their desire to refrain from turnovers ,IMO Smith is near phobic bout it,Sam seemed to be much more adventurous this year ,as far as his contract goes though ,if he's worth that to that org. ( and they think he is OBVIOUSLY) then he's worth it.

Thor's axiom: If someone is willing to pay you that ,you are worth it , cuz no one knows better what it's worth to them THAN them,no one else has more reason to .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Before we start knocking other teams move and especially quarterbacks I would like a Ram signal caller to lead the Rams to post season. Do I think Alex Smith is a premier signal caller in the NFL? No! Do I wish the Rams had him right now?...That would be a resounding Yes!

Jwise1727

UDFA
Hate Alex Smith all you want but his record over the past couple years (30-9-1) speaks for itself. Guy deserves to get paid.

AZRamsFan93

If anything, the Chiefs got a bit of a bargain. Probably because he likes it there, and they gave him so much guaranteed money.. $17 million per isn't bad at all for a good QB - the contracts are generally longer, but a lower percentage of guaranteed.

A pity from the Rams' perspective. Him being a free agent would have been another option for the Rams if SB doesn't come back the way the Rams want. Not that the Rams would necessarily have signed him - but the more quality QBs available the better for the Rams.
The reality is that the Rams can't count on SB next year. He was "coming back the way the Rams want" this year. After tearing up his knee a second time he just can't be counted on, especially at over $16M next year. Alex Smith would have been a good option. Oh well.

AZRamsFan93

I agree. Alex Smith is a quality starter in this league. He also can make plays with his feet, as he used to do against the Rams.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
First Tier(in no order)
Manning
Brady
Brees
Rodgers

Second Tier
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Wilson
Romo

Third Tier
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck

Fourth Tier
Matt Stafford
Jay Cutler
Alex Smith
Andy Dalton
Colin Kaepernick
Sam Bradford

awesome list

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
First Tier(in no order)
Manning
Brady
Brees
Rodgers

Second Tier
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Wilson
Romo

Third Tier
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck

Fourth Tier
Matt Stafford
Jay Cutler
Alex Smith
Andy Dalton
Colin Kaepernick
Sam Bradford

Where does Eli fall?

iced

Jamaal Charles is a bigger part of that offense than Alex Smith is...