Chiefs extend QB Alex Smith: 4 years $68mil

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

@TerezPaylor: The #Chiefs and Alex Smith have agreed to a four-year, $68M contract extension with $45M in guarantees, a league source tells me.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
@TerezPaylor: The #Chiefs and Alex Smith have agreed to a four-year, $68M contract extension with $45M in guarantees, a league source tells me.
Good for him!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Good for him, but you have to wonder if he would have gotten that much on the open market.

I can't see him getting near that much on the open market I don't know why they signed a contract like that with him........ I'm sure it's got to have a lot of incentives...... he's just flat out not worth that kind of money

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'd like to see the details of it. 45mil. is alot.
Read a tweet that it was 30mil upfront bonus. then 15mil next march. He had leverage since he got paid so much in his original contract. Little harder to play hardball with a guy that has a fat wallet.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$45 million in guarantees, so not that much in incentives.

And I suspect he could have gotten that much on the open market. That is around the price tag for non-star but capable starting QBs - and there is a decent chance multiple teams are going to want to sign one next offseason. Including the Rams if Sam's injury isn't healing as fast as they would like.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I am of the opinion that SF would have won a SB with Alex Smith.
I live in the Bay Area and tell Whiners fan that and they just say "No way." I think they know the truth :)
Good QB's are hard to find, as we are now finding out. So when you got one and want want to keep 'em you gotta pay'em.

markstewart67

Rookie
Good for him. Always kinda felt sorry for how Hardouche treated him after he got hurt. Besides the Rams winning it all of course, I would love to see a 69er/KC super bowl in SanFran, And see Alex Smith slaughter the 69er defense up and down the field for 60 minutes and win it all. That would make my year!! SUCK IT SAN FRAN!!
GO RAMS!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't see him getting near that much on the open market I don't know why they signed a contract like that with him........ I'm sure it's got to have a lot of incentives...... he's just flat out not worth that kind of money
I don't know if he would have either, but that's not how you measure a QB's worth. The Chiefs had to pay more than he would have gotten on the open market because they would have lost a QB in the process if he tested it. Then where are they? Dude's a winner, and that's all that matters in this QB-starved environment. 53 TDs and 17 Ints with a 94.6 QB Rating (average) over the past 3 years (30-9-1 record) commands elite QB money, IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I used to make fun of Alex Smith. But, he's turned out to be a very good QB.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Good for him. Always kinda felt sorry for how Hardouche treated him after he got hurt. Besides the Rams winning it all of course, I would love to see a 69er/KC super bowl in SanFran, And see Alex Smith slaughter the 69er defense up and down the field for 60 minutes and win it all. That would make my year!! SUCK IT SAN FRAN!!
GO RAMS!!!
Can't stand the thought of them in the SB again, or the anxiety it would cause. Would rather have them go 5-11 and watch the ensuing implosion.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if he would have either, but that's not how you measure a QB's worth. The Chiefs had to pay more than he would have gotten on the open market because they would have lost a QB in the process if he tested it. Then where are they? Dude's a winner, and that's all that matters in this QB-starved environment. 53 TDs and 17 Ints with a 94.6 QB Rating (average) over the past 3 years (30-9-1 record) commands elite QB money, IMO.

If anything, the Chiefs got a bit of a bargain. Probably because he likes it there, and they gave him so much guaranteed money.. $17 million per isn't bad at all for a good QB - the contracts are generally longer, but a lower percentage of guaranteed.

A pity from the Rams' perspective. Him being a free agent would have been another option for the Rams if SB doesn't come back the way the Rams want. Not that the Rams would necessarily have signed him - but the more quality QBs available the better for the Rams.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
wow no way he should've gotten that much. wonder how the contract is structured. if Charles went down that team would be done. its already done this year, last year was only because of an absurdly weak schedule.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
49ers made a mistake giving up on him, Kaep is a lame gimmick QB who can't get it together when it counts. Smith would have given a shot and probably would have won them the Bowl.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Alex Smith is a game manager.