Chargers to LA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, funny how that got overlooked 503. Methinks Spanos is still blowing smoke and manipulating.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, funny how that got overlooked 503. Methinks Spanos is still blowing smoke and manipulating.
You have to wonder - don't you? The letter seems conspicuously absent.

I honestly suspected the entire Carson project. But that's a whole other can of worms we probably don't want to revisit.

I realize that people are saying things like the relocation fee will "only" cost Spanos $75 million or so a year in forfeited revenues. But by my understanding, the Chargers franchise makes up most of his family's wealth these days. That is not just chump change for this guy even if he believes his revenues will increase by being a tenant in Stan's house.

It all just seems like more odd positioning by Spanos. The logo was weak and probably would have been challenged by the Dodgers. His team isn't going to make up the relocation fee on ticket sales as his team sells quite well in SD. So we are left with the idea that he will increase his revenues based on shared revenues? It just doesn't seem to add up to me, but that would be far from a first.

I'll just say that I will not be surprised in the slightest if he never co-occupies the Hollywood Park stadium.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Which is why I have to wonder if it is just a ploy to keep the Raiduhs from moving to LA. To me it won't do him any good to be in LA if the Raiduhs are in Lost Wages and the Rams are already in LA. I also don't see it work out well for him if the Raiduhs are in LA and he is in SD acting like someone has peed in his coffee. At least in SD and without two teams in the city to the north, he can cash in on tourists wanting to come to a city with practically the best weather on earth and catch a game. He needs to build his brand in SD. I just don't see it working out for him in LA either way you slice it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
One thing to think about is that he may very well be able to build a stadium in SD for approx. $3-400 million of his own money if the city can match funds which I believe they said they could without a vote. Seems that would work out to quite a bit less per year than even the relocation fee if he were to obtain financing. The NFL has already committed to - I believe - $500 million for him to stay in SD.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, except that everything we know which is limited says that the owners don't want two teams in LA and also don't want to lose SD as a market as well as a Super Bowl destination.

This move is meant to try and dislodge funds from taxpayers, but it won't work.

NFL owners need to build their own f'n stadiums. It's enough that they get tax abatements, preferential land deals, sped up zoning resolution et al.

Spanos isn't going to get a mega waterfront downtown football complex mostly paid for with tax dollars.

Now, if he goes in with SDSU, he's not only a local hero, but he's helping the unit as well.

Truly, what an ass...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
But did they actually file for relocation with the league office as the Raiders did to go to La Vegas?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ah.... you may be right here. I hadn't thought of that.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
After some research, because the Chargers original charter has them as the "Los Angeles Chargers" and they never officially changed it, and because they are not crossing state lines, affecting tax status, they can move "back" to LA without the owner's permission or filing with the league office. They also will not have to pay any relocation fee.

The owner of the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis, set precedence for this. He moved the Raiders to LA and then back to Oakland again. The league sued him and lost.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
OK - So the Raiduhs officially filed for relocation with their official letter. I can't find anything stating that Spanos has filed his official letter. Did I miss it? I saw his letter stating that they had made that decision but that was apparently not the official letter. Wasn't the time extended to the 17th? I don't get why I wouldn't be able to find the official letter. Can someone post it? All the articles I see say he is due to announce but that he has yet to send in his formal letter.
I don't know that he needs to apply to relocate because his relocation was already approved last year during the Rams relocation?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

They may not have a choice going forward.

In the not too distant future, there aren't any relocation possibilities due to burning the alternatives and LA being taken.

So... What can Jacksonville or Buffalo do now? They have old stadiums. They can't move. They aren't likely to get public financing...

Just saying that if those folks DO get public financing, it'll be because they established trust with the community AND the community will require a MUCH greater ROI than they ever got in the past. Thus, public financing won't have the same sheen as in the past, where owners fleeced taxpayers.

FRO

Legend
We'll see how it plays out, but without the threat of LA hopefully cities realize they don't need to pay for these stadiums. Let the league and the owners do it. Their greed is ruining the sport.