Chargers, NFL offer to pay $650 million of $1 billion stadium

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ffer-to-pay-650-million-of-1-billion-stadium/

Chargers, NFL offer to pay $650 million of $1 billion stadium
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 30, 2016

502400956-e1452703344842.jpg
Getty Images

The Chargers want to stay in San Diego, in a new stadium that will cost $1 billion. And they want a hotel tax to provide $350 million of that.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, the Chargers’ plan for a new stadium would entail the team and the NFL paying $650 million, and a 4 percent increase in the hotel tax to provide the other $350 million for the total $1 billion cost of a new stadium.

Under the proposal, the Chargers would keep game-day revenue and sign a lease of at least 30 years, while San Diego would get revenues from other events that take place at the stadium.

By the standards of new NFL stadiums, that’s a fairly good deal for the community: Usually it’s the taxpayers who foot the bulk of the bill, whereas in this case the taxpayers (out-of-town taxpayers visiting and staying in hotels) will only pay about one-third of the costs.

However, there seems to be a strong sentiment in San Diego that the taxpayers shouldn’t pay anything. And if San Diego doesn’t agree with the $350 million hotel tax hike, this plan is going nowhere. In that scenario the Chargers would be going somewhere, likely north to share a stadium with the Rams in Los Angeles.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Frankly, that's about as painless as it gets.

Devil is in the details of course, but on the surface this seems like a legit attempt to stay in SD.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If the burden is on the people visiting San Diego to pay the tax, I don't see how the community would have a problem. Maybe they don't want to risk decreasing the tourism but that's about as good as they can expect.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
What is yet to be determined is if it will take 2/3rds of a vote or just a majority to pass. Its going to the Calif. Supreme Court, and they may not rule on it til after June. If that happens the window for a vote goes to November, giving the Chargers little time to make a decision.

I spend a lot of time in San Diego, and from what folks I have talked to that live there, Chargers are not very popular right now and voting for a tax to fund a stadium for Spanos will have a hard time passing by a 51% "for" vote, and very little chance of getting 2/3rds.

Spanos really pissed off San Deigans by trying to move to Carson. Voters have turned down a tax for a new stadium before.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also depends what the hotel tax is now. That extra 4% might push the tax rate on rooms to a rate that causes issues.

Google says its 10.5%. Pushing it just shy of 15% might not sit well with those in the tourism industry.

Still, it's not coming from the general fund and there's no mention of general fund guarantees (they may be there, but there was no mention) so schools don't lose out if people don't stay at the hotels because those stadium bills will be paid even if they have to close the schools.

Tough call. The NFL hasn't exactly been loyal or caring about its host communities much lately...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
there seems to be a strong sentiment in San Diego that the taxpayers shouldn’t pay anything.
In my humble opinion, this^ is the way it should be! We Californians don't like New Taxes, We are over-whelmed with them! And why should our Visiting Tourists have to pay the freight!?!:icare:
But that said I don't want the Rams to share our new stadium with another Team!:headexplosion:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Easy solution - build the stadium in Tijuana. Just a short trolley ride away from San Diego. Stadium construction would be cheaper. It would give the NFL the international presence they have been craving. Sure, there might be issues if the next president builds a wall . . .

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I guess I'm just selfish but I don't want to share our spot with anyone. I want it ALL to ourselves.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe Stan will sell a few tracts of land and contribute some money to keep the Chargers out of the new LA stadium.(y)

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Easy solution - build the stadium in Tijuana. Just a short trolley ride away from San Diego. Stadium construction would be cheaper. It would give the NFL the international presence they have been craving. Sure, there might be issues if the next president builds a wall . . .
And don't forget about the donkey shows! :banana:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Throughout the whole process all the reporters said there would not be three teams in Southern California. If San Diego gets this done that makes the scenario very likely. Raiders have a market in LA, Davis has little financial value outside of the raiders to get something done, and this probably the cheapest stadium option available to them.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This makes too much sense for the Chargers to offer 650 mill.

They apply the 550 mill they would need, just to relocate 90 mile north, instead on a new stadium in SD.
They apply the 100 mill the league gave them to stay in SD.

Spending 550 mill and waiving the 100 mill the league is putting up, just gets them to LA. That doesn't get them a cut in the LA stadium.
Which I doubt would be free.