Changing coordinators won't solve anything

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This isn't gonna be popular, but here goes. Changing one thing whether it be a coordinator, cutting a player, or clamoring for a FA/draft pick won't solve anything.

I've seen a lot of folk wanting to change coordinators. First, Tim Walton. I get the frustration when the DBs play off that much, except I've noticed many teams play off quite a bit. You can't just say "MOAR PRESS PLAY NOW!!!!" That's a disaster as you'd get burned deep constantly. To me it didn't seem like the defense gave up very many big plays this year (after the 1st 2 games). That's a good thing and much better than last year. 22.8 PPG is good for 13th in the NFL, but that also includes the 5 pick 6s Rams QBs have had.

Ole Schotty. I'm one of the few that wants to keep him around. My thing was when talking about getting rid of him..."when all else fails, blame the OC." Can't do it. So many other factors in an offense: bad FP, injuries, execution, etc. You stick w/ what you got. No one cared about Schotty (at least not this much) in August and after Ws, but after Ls he's the voodoo child from hell. Can someone tell me how does *insert new OC here* will magically make this offense better? All an OC does is call plays. It still needs to be executed properly.

So yeah, don't change anything. Stay the course.

duckhunter

Starter
I used to have a 20 foot pennant in my office that read, "When all else fails, don't do something stupid." I had it there for discussions with young managers and to relate some of my bone-headed decisions.

If Fish is going to make any changes to his staff or guys get job offers that usually will happen between now and the big owner's meeting in Feb.

It would be unusual if Fish didn't tweak something.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I can see Walton being replaced simply because that is not who Fisher wanted in the first place. After the Ryan debacle he was left to scramble. Other than that I don't see any major changes. Even still I wouldn't be shocked if he keeps Walton.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If changing the staff doesnt change anything then why did our D change when we got a new DC?
Finnegan continued his 2012 regression and they got worse at safety. This defense still needs to invest a decent pick on a free safety and at corner. After that they will need to clean up zone coverage play.

RFIP

Finnegan continued his 2012 regression and they got worse at safety. This defense still needs to invest a decent pick on a free safety and at corner. After that they will need to clean up zone coverage play.

IMO we will see either Verner (Titans cb) or Byrd (Bills FS) as our big ticket FA next year. I'd love both, would be happy with either, leaning toward Byrd but since Fisher drafted Verner that is where I see this going.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I agree.

The Rams offense improved this season. The OC isn't the issue.

Alan

Legend
RFIP thinking good thoughts:
IMO we will see either Verner (Titans cb) or Byrd (Bills FS) as our big ticket FA next year. I'd love both, would be happy with either, leaning toward Byrd but since Fisher drafted Verner that is where I see this going.
Of the two, I think Byrd would be cheaper considering his position. I really hope we sign him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'd have to think that Fisher calling the defensive plays during the second half of the season is not a good sign for Walton.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'd have to think that Fisher calling the defensive plays during the second half of the season is not a good sign for Walton.
Yeah, but I don't know if that means they are ready to pull the trigger on a change. They might...but I think it is also possible they bring in Schwartz to be a senior defensive consultant to help Walton along.

One thing I am kind of curious about is why Fisher didn't just have Dave McGinnis run with the playcalling more if they weren't comfortable with Walton.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If changing the staff doesnt change anything then why did our D change when we got a new DC?

They had a few bad games early but down the stretch? Not so much. They got better. But that leads me to...

This

and this

I can see Walton being replaced simply because that is not who Fisher wanted in the first place. After the Ryan debacle he was left to scramble. Other than that I don't see any major changes. Even still I wouldn't be shocked if he keeps Walton.

If that is true, so be it. I just don't think one guy is responsible for a bad defense (or offense).

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah, but I don't know if that means they are ready to pull the trigger on a change. They might...but I think it is also possible they bring in Schwartz to be a senior defensive consultant to help Walton along.

One thing I am kind of curious about is why Fisher didn't just have Dave McGinnis run with the playcalling more if they weren't comfortable with Walton.

Yeah, with all of the defensive experience on the staff,,, Fish still felt compelled to call the plays himself.

This makes me think that Fish is not satisfied. Makes me think he may be looking to go in a new direction.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Yeah, with all of the defensive experience on the staff,,, Fish still felt compelled to call the plays himself.

This makes me think that Fish is not satisfied. Makes me think he may be looking to go in a new direction.
Or he took a "hands on" attempt at teaching Walton what he expects from his DC.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Many OCs can install an offense in an offseason. At the end of the season the Rams new players still say the offense is like reading Chinese. That is not a good thing.

In the past we always heard how Schotty didn't have the right people to play his offense. Mayb those players don't exist because his offense is not possible.

Whenhas anyone here ever known of a Schottenheimer offense running on all cylinders? Never. Fans of every team he coached were always waiting to see his offense in action. It never happens. Because it is not possible. Does anyone here honestly know what his offense is?

duckhunter

Starter
Many OCs can install an offense in an offseason. At the end of the season the Rams new players still say the offense is like reading Chinese. That is not a good thing.

In the past we always heard how Schotty didn't have the right people to play his offense. Mayb those players don't exist because his offense is not possible.

Whenhas anyone here ever known of a Schottenheimer offense running on all cylinders? Never. Fans of every team he coached were always waiting to see his offense in action. It never happens. Because it is not possible. Does anyone here honestly know what his offense is?

Do you got any easier questions?