Centers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Since it looks like Center will be an obvious need for us going into the draft, here's a game for some of the more recognizable draftable types:

POCIC (Senior Bowl practices: had by far best week of group)

View: https://youtu.be/E-LqmwjawfA

ELFLEIN (Senior Bowl practices: declined to compete)

View: https://youtu.be/w5N7TWoSchY

ORLOSKY (Senior Bowl practices: slow start finished week strong)

View: https://youtu.be/ZoLpOy7tMDU

TOTH (Senior Bowl practices: good first day then meh)

View: https://youtu.be/iMjoC1S7vPs

FULLER (Senior Bowl practices: struggled throughout)

View: https://youtu.be/gP22jgpXu2U

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guy is Chase Roullier. He started three years at LG for Wyoming and then this past year took over and started at Center. That gives him the flexibility that Kromer and McVay have talked about along the interior. The Rams visited with him already at the Shrine Game.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...in-carr-chase-roullier-east-west-shrine-game/

For those of you interested in PFF they had him #9 player in college football in the trenches.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/the-10-best-players-in-the-trenches/

Unfortunately since he played for Wyoming there isn't much tape on him. There seems to be more of him in high school than college.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, I like Roullier's skill-set more than I like Pocic's and Elflein's. But Dan Feeney and Forrest Lamp are two names to watch at Center. Feeney played OG at Indiana. Lamp played LT at WKU. We'd likely have to trade up for Lamp, but I'd consider doing it. He's the type of guy who can completely change an OL. Adding Whitworth and Lamp could transform our unit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honestly, I like Roullier's skill-set more than I like Pocic's and Elflein's. But Dan Feeney and Forrest Lamp are two names to watch at Center. Feeney played OG at Indiana. Lamp played LT at WKU. We'd likely have to trade up for Lamp, but I'd consider doing it. He's the type of guy who can completely change an OL. Adding Whitworth and Lamp could transform our unit.

Feeney in particular really grew on me in the Senior Bowl week. Lamp seems like a dude who could move over and do fine, who knows. I honestly don't know wtf to expect from Les this year in the draft since it will be his first one at the helm, but I suspect we're in for a wild ride.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stay away from Elflein. He played well prior to last year, but IMO got by on reputation and his measurables to be thought of so highly for this draft. Ohio State's offense allowed way too much pressure up the middle, and Elflein played well below what I expected of him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stay away from Elflein. He played well prior to last year, but IMO got by on reputation and his measurables to be thought of so highly for this draft. Ohio State's offense allowed way too much pressure up the middle, and Elflein played well below what I expected of him

Yea, Elflein scares me. Watch the Clemson game. It's brutal at times. You can tell that Elflein has a wrestling background. I love the way he competes, uses his hands, counters rush moves, maintains leverage, fights for position, and blocks straight ahead or down with power. However, he's brutal to watch when he's asked to pull or block in space/on the second level. And he has occasional issues in pass pro because he doesn't have great movement skills and is a tad undersized. Hyper athletic DLs can get the jump on him, and he gets manhandled at times by long and powerful DTs. Dexter Lawrence dominated him on back to back snaps in the Clemson game. He was throwing him around like a rag doll.

My fear with Elflein is that his competitiveness and wrestling background might not be able to compensate for his physical shortcomings at the next level. I don't think he'll be a bad player, but you run the risk of him having games where he's just completely overmatched by more dominant competition. I would be really worried about him being asked to block a guy like Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, etc.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Toth is my first choice....hands down...

I also like JJ Dielman....played 6 games at center this year...before suffering an injury...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My fear with Elflein is that his competitiveness and wrestling background might not be able to compensate for his physical shortcomings at the next level.

Honestly what I don't like about Elflein is he elected to skip the Senior Bowl. That just has all sorts of bad indicators with it for me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I somewhat agree with this evaluation, however, Elflein, does an excellent job making the adjustments and meets defensive tackles with aggressiveness and his hand placements are extraordinary too, keep in mind he played guard too and he might be the smartest center in the draft.

My concern is durability and he drops too early on the bull rush as well plus as I have posted before, he does not have the greatest feet and this is where I believe Jon Toth has a huge edge. IMHO I believe Elflein could start from day one, but if I could compare him to a former Ram, it would be Bern Brostek who lasted 7 years in the NFL, however, Toth reminds more of Rich Saul, you might post that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
As with the Spread QB's coming out of college ... can these Centers who have done nothing but shotgun snap handle the under Center snap? Mechanics are totally different

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As with the Spread QB's coming out of college ... can these Centers who have done nothing but shotgun snap handle the under Center snap? Mechanics are totally different

From a technical standpoint and I can only use myself (many years ago and coaching others) but as a center I preferred having the QB under center because I had a quicker jump of the ball and could control my guy at the point of attack, more drive blocking if you will, whereas when you snap in shotgun, you have to look back at the QB and at the last minute look up, make the snap and then your block.

So unlike some of the Quarterbacks the Center adjustment to this is minimal IMHO because it's far easier to make the snap and begin your blocking progressions, whereas the QB has to read things differently and be consignment of taking the snap while moving simultaneously.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Los Angeles Rams | Front Office: 2017 NFL Free Agent-Centers

giphy.gif

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
FULLER (Senior Bowl practices: struggled throughout)

Struggled throughout? I am curious.... how did you arrive at this conclusion?

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
http://www.drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Centers-2017-Draft.asp

2017 DRAFTTEK BIG BOARD - Ranked by Position
2017 Offensive Centers
Most Recent Revision: 3/18/2017

QB CENTER OG OT TE RBF RBC WRF WRS FB

EDGE DL 1-TECH DL 3-TECH DL 5-TECH OLB ILB S CB PK

BIG10 SEC PAC12 BIG12 ACC MWEST CUSA SBELT AAC MAC

Rnk O/A Rnk Change

Player/School Ht/Wt BIO S/R

1 56
uparrow_hp.gif
+27
PocicEthan.jpg

Ethan Pocic
LSU 6'6"
310 BIO --

2 70
downarrow_hp.gif
ElfleinPat.jpg

Pat Elflein
Ohio St 6'3"
303 BIO S/R

3 88
uparrow_hp.gif
+43
DielmanJJ.jpg

J.J. Dielman
Utah 6'5"
309 BIO --

4 120
downarrow_hp.gif
OrloskyTyler.jpg

Tyler Orlosky
West Virginia 6'3"
298 BIO --

5 182
downarrow_hp.gif
FullerKyle.jpg

Kyle Fuller
Baylor 6'5"
306 BIO --

6 233
downarrow_hp.gif
TothJon.jpg

Jon Toth
Kentucky 6'5"
307 BIO --

7 294
uparrow_hp.gif
+27
RoullierChase.jpg

Chase Roullier
Wyoming 6'4"
312 BIO --

8 313
downarrow_hp.gif
GuillermoJay.jpg

Jay Guillermo
Clemson 6'3"
301 BIO --

9 319
downarrow_hp.gif
TomCameron.jpg

Cameron Tom
Southern Miss 6'3"
291 BIO --

10 322
uparrow_hp.gif
+25
AustellErik.jpg

Erik Austell
Charleston So 6'3"
301 BIO --

11 370
downarrow_hp.gif
CrowleyLucas.jpg

Lucas Crowley
North Carolina 6'2"
297 BIO --

12 393
downarrow_hp.gif
HughleyTob.jpg

Tobijah Hughley
Louisville 6'1"
289 BIO --

13 408
downarrow_hp.gif
BurdenFreddie.jpg

Freddie Burden
Georgia Tech 6'3"
299 BIO --

14 418 --
McMeansAnthony.jpg

Anthony McMeans
New Mexico St 6'1"
318 BIO --

15 420
uparrow_hp.gif
+4
HalpinMax.jpg

Max Halpin
W Kentucky 6'2"
295 BIO --

16 426
uparrow_hp.gif
+6
KeizurCam.jpg

Cam Keizur
Portland St 6'4"
322 BIO --

17 427 --
BondDeyshawn.jpg

Deyshawn Bond
Cincinnati 6'1"
292 BIO --

18 428
uparrow_hp.gif
+8
KelleyAlex.jpg

Alex Kelley
Colorado 6'1"
310 BIO --

19 429
uparrow_hp.gif
+13
KublanowBrandon.jpg

Brandon Kublanow
Georgia 6'2"
288 BIO --

20 431
uparrow_hp.gif
+2
ClaybornJamaal.jpg

Jamaal Clayborn
Mississippi St 6'3"
316 BIO --

21 446
downarrow_hp.gif
CoeMichael.jpg

Michael Coe
North Dakota 6'2"
300 BIO --

22 447
uparrow_hp.gif
+1
GaiaBrian.jpg

Brian Gaia
Penn St 6'3"
295 BIO --

23 449
uparrow_hp.gif
+2
ScelfoJoseph.jpg

Joseph Scelfo
North Carolina St 6'0"
294 BIO --

24 461
downarrow_hp.gif
SpelmanMark.jpg

Mark Spelman
Illinois St 6'2"
290 BIO --

25 462
downarrow_hp.gif
StephensAustin.jpg

Austin Stephens
Utah St 6'3"
305 BIO --

26 463
downarrow_hp.gif
SorensonRiley.jpg

Riley Sorenson
Washington St 6'4"
327 BIO --

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had an interesting thought on our Center problem. Forrest Lamp will likely be off the board by the second round. I was taking a look at the Packers' philosophy on the OL and noticed a guy who fits it (college LT + quality numbers in the agility drills). Dion Dawkins might be an option for us at C.

Kromer likes his OLs to be big and strong guys who can generate movement in the run game. Dawkins certainly fits that description. On top of that, he's an experienced LT who has the movement skills to stay outside in the NFL with the strength to move inside. That makes him a potentially highly effective player. To cap all of that off, Dawkins recently said that he's training at Center to make himself more valuable to NFL teams.

In McVay's scheme, the Center doesn't call protections. Thus, putting a rookie like Dawkins in there wouldn't be as problematic as it is in another scheme. It seems like an intriguing option considering Dawkins's talent, our need, and our OL Coach.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had an interesting thought on our Center problem. Forrest Lamp will likely be off the board by the second round. I was taking a look at the Packers' philosophy on the OL and noticed a guy who fits it (college LT + quality numbers in the agility drills). Dion Dawkins might be an option for us at C.

Kromer likes his OLs to be big and strong guys who can generate movement in the run game. Dawkins certainly fits that description. On top of that, he's an experienced LT who has the movement skills to stay outside in the NFL with the strength to move inside. That makes him a potentially highly effective player. To cap all of that off, Dawkins recently said that he's training at Center to make himself more valuable to NFL teams.

In McVay's scheme, the Center doesn't call protections. Thus, putting a rookie like Dawkins in there wouldn't be as problematic as it is in another scheme. It seems like an intriguing option considering Dawkins's talent, our need, and our OL Coach.
Love Dawkins as a prospect but that's a big leap of faith in Kromer to make this happen.