Caught a BIG ONE on Father's Day...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A word about salmon, which is my favorite just ahead of walleye and the elusive vajayfish.

I've cooked it many ways, and it's the sushi I prefer when I am out having that. I love salmon, and have had many varieties and loved them all.

Always skin it. Always. Otherwise the flavor of the meat will be different from what it should be. Maybe some people like that, I don't because it interferes with whatever you are putting on it to enhance the flavor. There is a layer of fat between the skin and the meat that makes the meat a little greasier than it should be and I don't like that.

Smoke that fish any way you want to, it'll come out great. It might be the best fish for smoking that you can have. Plain, with different chips, different rubs, any way you want. It holds up in the smoker like a chicken!

At least once in your life slice it into one inch thick strips, like sushi but thicker, and steam it in a veggie steamer. No oil, no nothing. Just the steam and the meat. It's melt in your mouth delicious. Just lay it out and let it cook for a minute or so, covered of course. Man the flavor is great. If you've ever had quick seared tuna it's like that but even cleaner with more flavor.

@Selassie I how many pounds of meat did you get out of that thing and go get some salmon and smoke that crap it's delicious

Lots of clean white meat on that fish... it weighed 60 lbs.

You'd love my salmon Les. I prefer to cook it on a cedar plank over a real fire. My simple recipe is best I think... I always get it skinned. I then salt and pepper both sides... put the salmon on the plank with the side of the fish that had the skin on the plank... then I put a light coating of high quality dijon mustard on top... then I put a nice coating of brown sugar on top of that... I make sure that the sugar carmalizes really nice and the edges are crispy.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh man, that is AWESOME!! Got any other pics of your boat you can share?

This is one of my favorite pics of my baby girl. She's a cat... it may be hard to tell that, but you can swim in between the 2 hulls all the way through from front to back when she's just floating. Fully planing hull so the boat is alway on a plane even when it is sitting still in the water. Made for rough seas and super fuel economy. I've taken her across the Atlantic 140 miles while she was so loaded down that the water line was at least a foot higher than normal and I only burned 32 gallons of fuel. Two four stoke Yamahas on back. I just repowered her last summer.

I did have a helicopter take a pic of me last summer while I was running hard through some rough water. They have a business called Boat Pics or some shit. They get your address from your registration # and just mail you some huge prints of your boat taken from the air. They are poster size on quality prints. I bought one print that was pretty pricey, but I refused to pay the $1000 bucks for the digital image. Wish I could post that pic here.

This one is cool though. Taken at Double Breasted Cay... Abaco Bahamas. One of my favorite places on the planet.

DSC00370_0014.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Lots of clean white meat on that fish... it weighed 60 lbs.

You'd love my salmon Les. I prefer to cook it on a cedar plank over a real fire. My simple recipe is best I think... I always get it skinned. I then salt and pepper both sides... put the salmon on the plank with the side of the fish that had the skin on the plank... then I put a light coating of high quality dijon mustard on top... then I put a nice coating of brown sugar on top of that... I make sure that the sugar carmalizes really nice and the edges are crispy.

I've cooked it on cedar planks too. Yeah that's tasty, salmon is really the best fish for all around cooking.