Catch The F'n Ball

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Thomas in particular has a hard time with physical DBs, it really screwed up his concentration. But at least he's still a rook, not like he's Brian Quick doing the same thing in year 3. And tbh Denver is the best defense in the league at sitting DBs over the top of route tendencies; they're very disciplined and well coached.

IMO a WR either has the ability to mentally screen out defenders or he doesn't. Spruce has it. Coop has it. Higbee has it. The rest of these guys, meh. Gonna be an interesting list to get us to 75, that's for sure.
It's a skill that can be learned.
Thomas adding 20 lbs would probably help him as well.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Fisher's post-game comments saying guys won't play if they continue dropping passes. What boggles me is these guys have been catching balls for a long time, yet continue to drop. IMO this is totally a mental issue they have to overcome if they want to play for this team or any team in the league. Lack of concentration by these guys cannot continue. Other teams have the same issue, but it seems the difference is their guys only drop balls that are almost impossible to catch. Our guys seem to drop very routine passes. Maybe I'm over-exaggerating but it continues to be a huge problem for this group of receivers as a whole. Better change quickly or our RB's and QB's are going to get beat to a pulp, not to mention a worn out defense each week because we can't keep the offense on the field.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Depends on the O and what the new coordinator does.
If the approach and scheme are just as bad the. It won't matter who is playing. If the scheme is better and execution is better, I think he can win.
Nothing happens in a vacuum.
This is exactly right IMO. The offense can be better with Keenum than it was last year if the execution and timing in the passing game are there. Groh's coaching and scheme may be the key. Last year was the worst I have ever seen. Also room for optimism with the o-line, Gurley at full speed, and just maybe if some of the receivers show up and catch the ball.

But also IMO Keenum will never be able to make the throws Goff is already making, and the offense won't really reach its potential until Goff can open up the downfield game. But playing Keenum until then if he can lead the team and win, and I hope he can, is not a reason for hand wringing.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The same guy who just lost to San Fran in the last game of the year when his team was on a high and the 49ers in disaster mode?
Sorry man but I haven't seen anything from Keenum that leads me to believe he's going to be any different than what we saw last year.

Keenum is a much improved QB now than he was in that final game last year, dieter. He just is.

And his surrounding teammates seem much improved, too.

Night and day differences, if you ask me.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is exactly right IMO. The offense can be better with Keenum than it was last year if the execution and timing in the passing game are there. Groh's coaching and scheme may be the key. Last year was the worst I have ever seen. Also room for optimism with the o-line, Gurley at full speed, and just maybe if some of the receivers show up and catch the ball.

But also IMO Keenum will never be able to make the throws Goff is already making, and the offense won't really reach its potential until Goff can open up the downfield game. But playing Keenum until then if he can lead the team and win, and I hope he can, is not a reason for hand wringing.
I agree.
Anytime the talk turns to what is the key for the D or for getting to the 10 win mark I always being up the O. This is not about the O scoring 35 points a game. That would be great but is not likely.
It was so so bad last year. The Rams were in most games with an O that routinely put up three or four 3 and outs in a row.
Just being able to possess the ball, contribute to helping the D with field position ect will go along way to winning close games. Is Keenum a guy who can run the O, be efficient, avoid mistakes and make this happen? Yes, I think so. Better Online play, better scheme, better execution. By pickin up first downs and changing field position twice a game, this can be. 6-10 point swing per game.
Fewer chances for the other teams O, longer fields for the D to defend, two more field goals or one more TD off of one or two more long drives a game and this is a playoff team IMHO.
10 more points a game and last years record is 11-5. That is an oversimplification of course, things don't happen in a vacuum, but, the team is close I think.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
One reason that fans are so frustrated with the excessive drops from WR's?

We saw Sims, a DE for cryin' out loud, catching passes one handed from a juggs machine at point blank range time after time. Just fooling around, really. An amazing thing to watch.

Yet here we are watching WR's that have been catching passes through HS and college and are now dropping passes that hit them in their damned hands time after time. And when their very careers are on the line.

How ironic is that? Arrrrrgh!

Athos

Legend
And we weren't interested in DGB????
YALL HAD TO GO THERE!!! What did Quick do now? Oh, still last week? What about Cooper? Oh yeah, he had a big catch...What about Tavon, oh yeah, he signed a big deal$$$$....Drops happen...but one thing to take away is\/

Thomas gets open...first road game...Lets wait on this kid please....He's a dynamic pass catcher...and looks to have some real ST value....I'll let the Quick joke pass Athos...:neener::shades:

Thomas made a great play on ST to pin that Hekker pint at the one. That probably endears him enough to Fisher to be given some slack. And it can't be argued he doesn't get open. He has consistently and done so rather well. The DB has been either not within five yards or has to make a very good play on the ball. And some DBs have made great plays on balls he has reeled in tho that's small consolation when you need receptions, not just good effort.

You either suck at route running or you don't tho imo. And Thomas has moves. Give the kid stickum if you have to in practice so he at least feels what it's like to catch it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Is Keenum a guy who can run the O, be efficient, avoid mistakes and make this happen? Yes, I think so.
While there were positives, Los Angeles’ ability to sustain drives was hampered by struggles on third down. The Rams began 0-of-5 on third down, including 0-of-4 with Keenum in at quarterback. L.A. finished just 1-of-7 on third-down opportunities in the first half, and were only 1-of-10 in the situation after three quarters.

Third down was an issue for the Rams’ offense last year, and will likely continue to be a point of emphasis as the club heads into the regular season.
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Five-Takeaways-Preseason-at-Denver/502558e5-05e7-474a-b222-19af6e32606d