Cards trade for Jason Heyward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
By Mark Polishuk and Steve Adams [November 17, 2014 at 11:11am CST]
The Cardinals have acquired right fielder Jason Heyward and right-hander Jordan Waldenfrom the Braves in exchange for righty Shelby Miller and pitching prospect Tyrell Jenkins, the teams announced.

A blockbuster in every sense of the word, the Cardinals will acquire one of the game’s most valuable outfielders in Heyward and an excellent setup man in Walden. Heyward just turned 25 in August yet already has five full Major League seasons under his belt. His offensive game hasn’t developed to the superstar level that many had expected, though he still owns a lifetime .262/.351/.429 batting line. His .269/.335/.479 batting line and 27 homers in 2012 give an idea of the power upside that Heyward brings to the table, however.

Where Heyward truly shines, however, is with the glove, as evidenced by career UZR and DRS marks of +74.1 and +97, respectively (UZR/150 pegs him at +17.6). That excellent glove paired with a solid bat has led Heyward to be valued at 4.3 fWAR and 4.9 rWAR per season throughout his career. There’s little doubt that Heyward is an MVP-caliber talent, although to realize that potential he would likely need to return to his 2012 form at the plate while maintaining his stellar defensive work.

Heyward is only under control for one more season and will earn $7.8MM in 2015, but Walden is a bit more of a long-term asset for the Cardinals, as he can be controlled through the 2016 season. Projected to earn $3MM in 2015, the 27-year-old Walden posted a 2.88 ERA with 11.2 K/9, 4.9 BB/9 and a 45.2 percent ground-ball rate for the Braves last season. Armed with a fastball that averages roughly 96 mph, he should give manager Mike Matheny yet another hard-throwing option to pair with the likes of Trevor Rosenthal at the end of the St. Louis bullpen.

In Miller, the Braves have acquired at least four years of control over a high-upside arm that looked to be on the verge of stardom for much of 2013 before a rough finish to the season and a step backwards in 2014. Miller frequented top prospect lists for his entire minor league career after being selected 19th overall in 2009, with Baseball America ranking him as highly as sixth in the game heading into the 2013 campaign. That season, he posted a brilliant 3.06 ERA with 8.8 K/9, 3.0 BB/9 and a 38.4 percent ground-ball rate in 173 1/3 innings. He saw his strikeouts dip late in the season though and was curiously a non-factor in the 2013 playoffs, leading many to speculate that he was either injured or simply out of gas after posting a career-high in innings pitched.

Miller maintained his velocity in 2014, but he displayed some signs of control issues that caused his ERA to jump to 3.74 (while FIP and SIERA pegged him at 4.54 and 4.60, respectively). For one, Miller’s BB/9 rate jumped to 3.6. But looking beyond that, his first-pitch strike rate dropped about two percent, and his opponent contact rate for pitches in the strike zone jumped from 85.6 percent to 90 percent, suggesting that he struggled to command the ball within the zone. Nonetheless, Miller’s upside is sky-high, and the Braves had a clear need in the rotation with both Ervin Santana and Aaron Harang hitting the free agent market. Both Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy are recovering from their second Tommy John surgery, leaving Atlanta with Julio Teheran, Mike Minor andAlex Wood as rotation candidates, perhaps along with swingman David Hale.

Jenkins, 22, isn’t simply a throw-in for the Braves, either. The Cards drafted Jenkins 50th overall in 2010, and the right-hander cracked BA’s Top 100 prospect list following the 2011 season — ranking 94th. Touted for his off-the-charts athleticism, Jenkins has seen his prospect star dim a bit since that time due to shoulder surgery, though he did return midway through 2014 and post a 3.28 ERA in 74 innings in the Class-A Advanced Florida State League. BA ranked him 17th among Cardinals prospects heading into 2014, noting that his fastball sits 93-96 mph when healthy and adding that he features an improved curveball as well.

The trade fills a need for both clubs, although the circumstances in which St. Louis came to have a need for a right fielder are of course tragic. It’s been difficult and felt inappropriate at times to look at the tragic death of Oscar Taveras and his girlfriend through a baseball lens, but many have wondered if is untimely loss would lead the Cardinals to look outside the organization for outfield help. MLBTR’s Charlie Wilmoth noted in his Offseason Outlook for the Cards that such measures could be necessary, and the path that the team has taken will improve the team in 2015, even if the trade is unfortunately linked to tragedy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Holy fucking shit. What a trade. Hate having to give up Miller and Jenkins, but you have to give to get, and Heyward's a very talented outfielder. It helps that the Cards have a lot of pitching talent, and Walden could be another option for the bullpen, since Martinez and/or Gonzales will likely move into the starting rotation to replace Miller.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I don't like it.

Could you explain why? Heyward's one of the better defensive right-fielders in the game today, he's only twenty-five years old, and he has a ton of offensive potential. I don't like giving up Shelby either, but we had to find a right-fielder somewhere, and Heyward's a definite upgrade over anyone we could have had elsewhere.

Could you explain why? Heyward's one of the better defensive right-fielders in the game today, he's only twenty-five years old, and he has a ton of offensive potential. I don't like giving up Shelby either, but we had to find a right-fielder somewhere, and Heyward's a definite upgrade over anyone we could have had elsewhere.

Just hate giving up Miller, he could have been very good for us, it especially sucks because of why the move was made in the first place, plus I love complaining about stuff.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Just hate giving up Miller, he could have been very good for us, it especially sucks because of why the move was made in the first place, plus I love complaining about stuff.

Yeah, I hate giving up Miller too. And it does suck why this trade happened; I was looking forward to seeing Taveras patrolling right field for us for the next decade. Can't argue with you on that.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I don't like it because we have Hayworth for one season, then we'll likely have to overpay. And we gave up Shelby Miller for that?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't like it because we have Hayworth for one season, then we'll likely have to overpay. And we gave up Shelby Miller for that?

It's a legit worry to have to resign Heyward, especially since he's rep'd by Scott Boras. But, you have to think that they believe a deal could be done to complete this trade.

Don't forget that we get Walden too in this trade who's a replacement for Neshek/Kmart. Hopefully opening the door for Kmart to join the starters.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Hopefully this will work out just like the Mat Holliday trade. He was set to be a free agent when the Cards traded for him too. His agent? Scott Boras. We shall see...

Volnerman08

Rookie
Boras isn't Heyward's agent. He is represented by excel sports management who usually doesn't pressure clients into free agency like Boras does. I love the trade no matter how it works out. It's great to have a gm and owner that make moves every year to improve the team.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heyward is an excellent defensive outfielder - but big outfielders like Heyward generally lose their defense first. He can't hit lefthanders, and has not shown consistent power. Yes, he's only 25 - but he's been up for years and really hasn't progressed as a hitter. And if he does progress in 2015, he'll be very expensive.

Of course, there are the inevitable questions about whether Miller is not really healthy - his velocity stayed the same this year, but his command/control dipped, which sometimes is a sign of a pitcher overthrowing to compensate for something. If the Cards think that Miller isn't going to return to form, it could be a steal, whether Heyward resigns or not. They'll be able to get a sandwich pick for him at least, plus one good year.

howski3318

Rookie
It's definitely an interesting trade. Dewitt said in the future they will be increasing their payroll substantially. Wonder if that makes it easier to resign him. Makes the lineup very interesting. A combo of Heyward and Carpenter at the top of the lineup sounds intriguing.

Next season we should be fine in the rotation:
Wainwright
Lynn
Wacha
Lackey
Martinez
Gonzalez
Garcia (for a couple starts)
Lyons

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I think that Heyward would have to have a massive year at the plate in 2015 for him to become cost prohibitive to sign. That being said, I tend to agree with the idea that the Cards wouldn't have made the deal if they didn't think they'd be able to sign him to a longer term deal (if they want to, of course).