Cardinals linebacker John Abraham was arrested for DUI in suburban Atlanta

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...rrested-for-dui-in-suburban-atlanta/13300445/

Cardinals Pro Bowl outside linebacker John Abraham was absent for the third straight day of training camp on Monday, a day it was learned the NFL's active sacks leader was arrested and charged late last month for driving under the influence in Georgia.

Arrest reports in DeKalb County showed that John Antonio Abraham, 36, was detained, questioned and later charged with multiple counts, including DUI, on June 29.

A Cardinals spokesperson on Monday said the team is aware of the arrest, but the spokesperson declined further comment.

If found guilty, Abraham would be subject to fine and/or suspension by the NFL.

When Abraham failed to show up for his conditioning test with the rest of veterans on Friday at University of Phoenix Stadium, coach Bruce Arians said the player was excused for personal reasons. He would not elaborate.

Asked about Abraham's absence again on Sunday, Arians wouldn't get into specifics other than to say that Abraham "has my blessings."

It is not known whether the DUI arrest has anything to do with why Abraham is not in camp. On Monday morning, Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim made it sound as if nothing was particularly out of the norm.

"I'm not concerned at all," he said on Arizona Sports 620 during the Doug and Wolf show. "He'll be back at some point here."

Abraham did not return to text and phone messages left to him by azcentral sports.

Abraham led the Cardinals with 11½ sacks last season, his first year playing for Arizona, and it moved him to ninth place on the NFL's all-time list with 133½. He needs 8½ more to move into fifth place ahead of Michael Strahan (141½).

Abraham's 48 career forced fumbles, meanwhile, are tied with Jason Taylor for the most in NFL history.

In October 2003, while playing for the New York Jets, Abraham was arrested and charged with DUI after crashing his sports utility vehicle into a fire hydrant and light pole on Long Island. He pled guilty to driving while impaired and avoided jail time, but he said it was a costly lesson.

"I'm not going through that stuff again," he told azcentral sports last August. "It's a bigger headache than it's worth. I got mine one time, and one time is enough. It's brought more pain than it did anything else. That one night of partying wasn't worth all the things I had to go through."

Abraham was arrested two years ago in Atlanta while playing for the Falcons on two counts of misdemeanor obstruction for failing to leave an area that had been taped off by police.

According to documents related to his arrest last month, Abraham's birth date was listed as May 1, 1978. His real birth date is May 6, 1978.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If a suspension is imminent for Abraham(and it looks to me that it's coming)... that front seven just got even weaker.
Dansby, Washington and Abraham would be a huge loss for that core.

Combined production last season:
204 tackles
21 sacks
6 INT's
5 FF's

Not to mention the veteran presence of these guys.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Man that's crazy. The hits just keep coming for the cards. Why don't these idiots use their brains? Take a damn cab. It's not like your strapped for cash. If I was the head coach, and the league didn't suspend him, I would bench him for a few games to set an example. Morons man.

RFIP

If a suspension is imminent for Abraham(and it looks to me that it's coming)... that front seven just got even weaker.
Dansby, Washington and Abraham would be a huge loss for that core.

Combined production last season:
204 tackles
21 sacks
6 INT's
5 FF's

Not to mention the veteran presence of these guys.

This would be the crushing blow to their defense, I don't care how good their back end is.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well with that said, I bet we'll still see him twice next season.

I cannot say the same for Aldon Smith. A 4-6 game suspension is likely for Smith. If it is 6, then he won't be benefitting from friendly holding in STL.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler

I cannot say the same for Aldon Smith. A 4-6 game suspension is likely for Smith. If it is 6, then he won't be benefitting from friendly holding in STL.

Bet league goes soft on his ass.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Jail the bastard for a year, and take away his license for good. Getting a DUI once is inexcusable. Getting another one afterwards is unforgivable.

Dick84

Well... he's 36.. how much could they have been counting on from him?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
:party:LoL this off season just keeps getting better and better.... Marshawn, Vernon, Boone hold out longer!!

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I think the second DUI is automatically 4 games. I could be wrong, it could be more. Abraham and Aldon Smith should both get at least 4 games. Since Smith has already been tried for it, his suspension should be known pretty soon. Abraham won't be suspended until he's found guilty. I could be wrong because I'm going by what I think the policy is. I didn't do lots and lots of research.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The Cardinals front is crumbling. The key to beat them now is power runs and TE seam passes. They have always struggled with covering receiving TEs.

Athos

Legend
I have no sympathy for repeat DUI or DWI offenders, whether it happened a year ago, or several. You are being a stupid, selfish prick by risking the lives of others because you're too much of a jackass to hail a cab. Your'e a goddamn football player. You can afford that shit.

I hope his ass gets suspended. But the pussification of Goodell's rules enforcement outside of anything other than pot will ensure he isn't.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He could always get Roger to go easy on him by punching a girl in the face though so don't count him out for four games.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have no sympathy for repeat DUI or DWI offenders, whether it happened a year ago, or several. You are being a stupid, selfish prick by risking the lives of others because you're too much of a jackass to hail a cab. Your'e a goddamn football player. You can afford that crap.

I hope his ass gets suspended. But the pussification of Goodell's rules enforcement outside of anything other than pot will ensure he isn't.

The NFL actually has a program in place where a player just has to call a phone number and a car service will be sent to pick them up...... there is no cost to the player it is free...... the team isn't even notified that he used the service.

........ it makes something like this seem sooooo stupid doesn't it.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
The NFL actually has a program in place where a player just has to call a phone number and a car service will be sent to pick them up...... there is no cost to the player it is free...... the team isn't even notified that he used the service.

........ it makes something like this seem sooooo stupid doesn't it.

Just goes to show not only how lucky and spoiled these guys are but also how incredibly dumb they are. Just the fact that there's a free program in place for men that make so much money and can easily afford a cab is pretty telling to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/29/nfl-star-john-abraham-dui-arrest-while-leaving-strip-club-at-4-00-pm/

NFL star John Abraham was leaving the Pink Pony strip club -- AT 4PM -- when he was arrested for DUI in Georgia ... this according to a police report obtained by TMZ Sports.

The Arizona Cardinals linebacker was popped on June 29th in Dekalb County ... when cops say they saw a vehicle stopped in the middle of the road with Abraham asleep at the wheel.

Cops say they pounded on the doors and screamed at Abraham for several minutes before he woke up -- and when he did come to, they immediately smelled booze on his breath.

Cops say, "He appeared confused and rambled while speaking."

Then there's this ... "Abraham stated he was coming from the Pink Pony, a strip club and bar" -- and told the cops he only had two drinks while inside.

Did we mention cops say this all went down at 4 IN THE AFTERNOON?!

Cops say Abraham admitted that he didn't feel safe on the road -- and when asked, said he was NOT sick or on any type of medication.

According to the report, Abraham bombed several field sobriety tests -- including the alphabet -- but declined to take a breathalyzer test.

Cops arrested the 36-year-old -- but he was too big to seatbelt in the squad car.

FYI -- he's listed in the police report as 6'4", 225 pounds.

Abraham was ultimately charged with DUI and improper stopping in the roadway.