MMQB: Football In Canada

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
trestman-story.jpg

John Woods/The Canadian Press/AP

Welcome to Canada Week
For the next 7 days, The MMQB will cover North America's other great football league. To kick things off, Bears coach Marc Trestman, winner of two Grey Cups in Montreal, explains the rules and nuances that make the CFL unique
By Marc Trestman

Note from editor-in-chief Peter King: Today opens Canada Week at The MMQB. It’s the opening week of the Canadian Football League season—the league traditionally plays from the end of June until the end of November, with the league championship, the Grey Cup, always happening around our Thanksgiving. We’re trying something novel here at our site: We’re covering three CFL games, with Toronto at Winnipeg on Thursday night (our Jenny Vrentas will be on site) and we’ll have some other features on the site to tell you about the game up north. I’ll have a full explanation at the end of the column, in an abridged Five Things I Think I Think.

Now for this week’s Monday Morning Quarterback guest columnist, Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman, on his five seasons as a Canadian Football League head coach.

CHICAGO — I appreciate the opportunity to share some thoughts on the Canadian Football League this morning—and I am grateful to The MMQB for devoting some time covering the opening week of the CFL season. From 2008 to 2012, I had the privilege of coaching the Montreal Alouettes, one of the flagship franchises in the CFL, before becoming the head coach of the Chicago Bears in 2013. I never looked at the job as a stepping stone to a head coaching position in the NFL, but was simply grateful to owner Bob Wetenhal and general manager Jim Popp for the opportunity to become a head coach and to serve the players and entire organization as well as their great fan base.

I can also tell you I absolutely loved every minute of my time in Montreal, one of North America’s great cities. I also loved and respected the players and coaches, as well as the brand of football played in the CFL.
---------------------------------------------
Read the entire article at the link.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I think the Bears may have messed up when they hired Marc Trestman. Sure they are scoring a few more points but they managed to turn one of the best defenses into one of the worst. Maybe it's the Rams fan in me but firing Lovie was a bad move for them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
flutie-storyimage-960-with-logo.jpg

Dave Buston/Reuters

‘You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer’
In eight CFL seasons, Doug Flutie was named Most Outstanding Player six times. He played in four Grey Cups, winning three. TSN voted him the greatest player of all time. Here’s why Canada’s brand of football is No. 1 in his heart
By Doug Flutie

I miss playing in the CFL, no doubt about it. Boy, it was a lot of fun. People in America have no clue what goes on up there, or about the quality of football we had. That’s what made the experience for me. Most of the guys were NFL-caliber talent, but were undersized or just didn’t fit the mold in one way or another.

My CFL career started in 1990, with the BC Lions, and I didn’t know what to expect. But I could tell I was going to be viewed as a backup in the NFL, and you only have so many years to play this game, and I wanted to play. So I figured I’d give the CFL a whirl. When I first went up to Canada, I thought I’d put in two years up there and then try to get back to the NFL. But I enjoyed it so much, I wound up making a career out of it.

The game in Canada was more exciting, more explosive, more wide open. It was what the NFL is now becoming. We were going no huddle, over the ball, from the time I got up there. No-back sets, six wide receivers, throwing the ball all over the field. There is a 20-second clock between plays rather than 40. It just creates a pace that the NFL is now realizing to be more exciting—and actually more effective. The NFL is turning into a no-huddle, up-tempo, fast-paced, throw-the-football type of game now. The CFL has been that for the past 30 years.

By the time I finished up in the CFL, I was basically my own offensive coordinator, calling all the plays on the field. We had our playbook, but I had my ideas from watching film during the week of game-planning and seeing things on the field. My whole theory at quarterback was to keep my receivers from having to think too much. Let them just be full speed and go. Rather than making them read everything on the fly and then adjusting, I would give them a route and they would just run it. I told them, “I’ll deal with the pressure, I’ll deal with the hot reads, I’ll build something in where I’ll get rid of the ball quickly.”

When I played in Toronto, we were playing a regular-season game against Edmonton, and I called a quarterback draw. The running back, Robert Drummond, was going to run a swing route to try to pull a linebacker with him. But the linebacker lined up on the edge, and it was an all-out blitz, so there was nothing in the middle of the field. It was either going to be a touchdown or we were going to be stopped at the line of scrimmage. Drummond was faster than I was, so just before the ball was snapped, in the middle of my cadence, I said, ‘Hey, just jump in and take the snap direct and run the draw.’ He busted it for like a 70-yard touchdown.

Another time, we were going into the Grey Cup against Saskatchewan in 1997, and they had been giving us headaches with their zone blitzes. Instead of changing all of our pass protections and really worrying about it, I built in a hitch screen. Every time they came with a blitz from one side of the field, I would just turn and throw the hitch screen. They tried to zone blitz three or four times in the first quarter, and we averaged like 18 yards a catch off this silly little hitch screen to a back or wide receiver. And they quit doing it. We just lit them up. We scored a mess of points and had a really efficient day.

To do that in the NFL, though, it would probably have to be a coordinator’s idea. And then you would have to clear it with the offensive line coach, to make sure you can block all this stuff. Then you would have to execute it a couple of days in practice, and if it looked OK, it would make its way into the game plan. In the CFL, I was in a position where if I saw something in the middle of the game, I could just put it in without having to ask anybody. As long as you keep it simple enough, guys can just react and go. The NFL, for years, has been a copycat league. A coach would have to see something be successful elsewhere before he was willing to try it—and the league has been very slow to change because of that.

I’ll tell you what drove me nuts more than anything: I went from calling my own plays in the CFL, then back to the NFL for eight seasons, where I had a radio in my helmet and as soon as one play ended, the coaches were talking to you in the helmet for 20 seconds. It took so long to get a play call in, and your first thought was, What is the coach looking for? rather than, What do I want to do here?

During my days with the Buffalo Bills, we were a running, play-action team that played really good defense in low-scoring games. You adapt, and you do it that way. But boy, the mindset was different. When I was in the CFL, I was very aggressive. Aggressive in my play-calling; aggressive in my decision-making. In the NFL, I became much more passive, trying to do what I thought the coaches wanted me to do all the time.

Of course, when you’ve got a Peyton Manning, a Tom Brady or a Drew Brees—a guy who has been in an offense for a number of years—the trust factor goes up. The coaches start letting go of the reins and let quarterbacks have much more of a say. But I never got to that point with an NFL team, where I was there long enough (or starting long enough) to gain that trust. In the NFL, with what’s at stake money-wise and the pressure on coaches, they want total control because their necks are on the line.

In the CFL, it was more of a game. And it was a lot more fun. The length of the workday really helped with that, too. By CBA rule, they could only keep us there 4½ hours. In the NFL, it’s 10- to 12-hour days, every day, and it becomes a grind. I know the NFL is a big business, and it’s getting more complicated and tougher, but the burnout level, especially for quarterbacks, is crazy. I just wish there were some way around that, to somehow keep the fun in the game.

I was actually, for a while, making more money in the CFL working a 4½ hour workday than I would have in the NFL with a 12-hour workday. And I was in total control of the offense. You can see why I enjoyed it so much. I’d go in around 10 a.m., watch some film on my own and do some game-planning, grab lunch, and then start the day with the team at 1 p.m. We’d end by 5:30.

I’m pretty sure the trajectory of my career would have been different today. I would have been in a position to be more successful in the NFL running some of these current styles of offenses, and I think an NFL team would have been more open to turning me into a franchise guy if things went well. I was always viewed by NFL teams as a band-aid: A guy who could help us win, keep us competitive, and while he’s doing that, we’re going to go find our franchise quarterback. It has turned into a little bit different mentality now with the success of guys like Brees and Russell Wilson, and the success of the spread offenses in the NFL.

But the CFL gave me so much. When I left Toronto for Buffalo, I was 35 and I was ready to retire. I figured I’d come back to the NFL for maybe a year or two, just to prove I could do it. I ended up playing another eight years. That was just crazy. The CFL gave me the opportunity to be a starter, regain my confidence, and then come back and be a starter in the NFL. And, I got to play eight games with my younger brother, Darren. We were both with the BC Lions in 1991.

Another thing I’ll always remember is how fanatical the fans are up in Canada. Especially in some of the smaller markets, this is their football and they love their teams. You can draw a parallel with just about every city to a team in America. Saskatchewan reminds me a lot of Green Bay. They live for their team. Hamilton, with its blue-collar fans, is Pittsburgh. Calgary would be Denver—you’re at an altitude, and everybody who goes into Calgary to play is out of breath.

Calgary is where I won my first CFL championship, in 1992. We played against Edmonton in the Western final to go to the Grey Cup, and we had to drive the length of the field, into the wind, in the last seconds to win that game. I ended up running the ball in from a few yards out for the winning score. That was my shining moment that season.

Then we played the Grey Cup in Toronto, and I just remember dominating the game against Winnipeg. The last minute or two, I was standing on the sideline with Dave Sapunjis, my receiver and best friend on the team, putting on our Grey Cup champions hats, and playing to our crowd behind our bench. It was just a moment in time for me. You couldn’t tell me winning a Super Bowl would feel any nicer.

RamzFanz

Damnit
In Canada, they're too nice to pour champagne on your head, so you have to do it yourself:

Canada.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's all subjective my friend. I'd throw Neil Young into the mix as well as SCTV featuring these two guys...:)

I will counter those quality artists with Alanis Morrisette, director David Cronenberg
"The Fly"
"Scanners"
"The Dead Zone"
"Videodrome"
"Crash"
and
Todd McFarlane, Gordon Lightfoot,The Guess Who
...and did i fail to mention...
th

:whistle:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
chris-getzlaf-960.jpg

Jeff Gross/Getty Images

They’re Ours, We’re Theirs
Small-time? Yes, but also small-town. That charm is what makes the Canadian Football League so great
By Bruce Arthur

For some people, all they know about the Canadian Football League comes from the time Homer Simpson watched the CFL draft, and the announcers say the Saskatchewan Roughriders scored only four rouges all last season. The show was missing the Ottawa Rough Riders, and how two teams with the same basic name were in the same eight-or-nine team league for 35 years. Oh, and one of them once drafted a dead man. If that was in there, joke-wise, you’d pretty much be covered.

CFL jokes tend to be about how this is a small-time, oddball league, and most of them are therefore true. There are Canadians who hate the league because it’s small: because it has often teetered on the edge of dissolution, because it features 18-game regular seasons with eight or nine teams, because Canadians have to play. A lot of people dismiss it, essentially, because it’s not the NFL.

And that’s one reason to love it, actually. The Canadian Football League is, at its heart, a small town. It’s been around forever, through all sorts of weather, and everybody knows everybody. It’s part of the charm. In Hamilton, the same mom and son, Barb and Steve, have been bringing fresh-baked cookies to practice since 1980 or so. They’re like family.

There are reasons for this. The CFL’s minimum salary just rose to $50,000, and not many players stray too far into six figures. The line between fans and players has never been much of a line, if only because their respective take-home (quarterbacks excepted) aren’t very different at all.

So Saskatchewan running back Kory Sheets, the MVP of the 2013 Grey Cup, still worked as a truck driver’s assistant in the oil fields last winter, along with two other members of the team. The guy who beat out Sheets for the league’s Most Outstanding Player award, Calgary running back Jon Cornish, was named Canada’s top athlete in December. He did his conference call while on break from his day job as an investment consultant at a bank, in a shopping mall.

The silos of bigger pro sports don’t really exist here, and the result is a league where fans and players can actually live in the same world. Milt Stegall was already the league’s all-time leader in touchdowns when his wife became pregnant with his second child, and he needed a bigger place to live. It was his final season after a stellar career as a wide receiver in Winnipeg, and a local businessman named Ernie Epp offered his basement.

Stegall was skeptical, but he checked it out. The basement was about 2,000 square feet, with a kitchen and a bathroom, and the whole family moved in, rent-free. Epp’s wife watched the kid on game days, and Stegall—a Cincinnati native who played collegiately at Miami (Ohio)—still calls them the Canadian grandparents. Ask Stegall what he misses most about the game, and he pauses. He says it’s the people who watch.

“We need them more than they need us,” says Stegall, who played parts of three seasons with the Bengals and who now does TV analysis for TSN. “I don’t know if everyone understands that, but we need them more than they need us. This is not like the NFL where they don’t need fans to show up to the games because they have the big TV contracts and the revenue sharing.

“Guys who play in the CFL, a majority of us are from small colleges, and if we did play in the NFL it wasn’t for that long, so most of us didn’t have that much notoriety until we got to the CFL. So we’re thinking, Wow, this is a pretty cool experience, being recognized.

“Because when we go home, the second we cross that border, we’re just a normal, everyday citizen, and nobody recognizes us as a football player or anything else. But when we come back to Canada …”

Then they’re ours, and we’re theirs. Size isn’t strength; a connection is. The metropolitan areas of Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto make up about a third of the national population, and the Grey Cup works fine there, despite that embarrassing 15-year absence from Toronto after the apathetic debacle of 1992. Almost a third of the SkyDome was empty for that game, or about half the population of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

But the championship week works best on the Prairie, in the real cold, outdoors. The Grey Cup inhabits places like Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, and Winnipeg. There, it truly matters, and the tribes all gather together, every year. It’s so damned earnest.

“The Grey Cup is a massive Canadian party, but it’s on a much more human scale,” says Peter Dyakowski, a guard for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats who also was named Canada’s Smartest Person in a CBC reality show, and has appeared on Jeopardy. “It’s the same people every year. It’s a human-sized league.” Dyakowski, for the record, has been an all-star, lives in a middle-class neighbourhood, and doesn’t shop in Hamilton’s fancier supermarkets.

There’s a nostalgia to all this, sure, and the small town isn’t always pleasant. In this year’s labour dispute the league played hardball, and the players got small concessions on money and safety in a league with a big new TV contract, and a ninth team, and new stadiums either built, or renovated, or being built across the country. The labour fight, which didn’t cost anything but goodwill, may have signified that the recent growth in revenues is going to change this thing.

But it hasn’t, not yet. Every sport is at least partly defined by when it begins, and when it ends. Baseball begins in the spring and ends in late fall. The NFL charges into winter, and at the last minute usually escapes to somewhere warm. Hockey and basketball keep you inside all winter, and stop when you want to go outside.

And then there is the Canadian Football League. It begins with the relief of summer, and ends in late November, usually on a dark cold night, with winter yet to come. Like the CFL, winter in Canada is different everywhere. And like the CFL, we all get through it together.

Bruce Arthur is the lead sports columnist for the Toronto Star, Canada’s largest newspaper. He spent 13 years at the National Post, one of Canada’s national papers, and has covered six Grey Cups.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This was a great movie (Strangebrew) !

Canada is an amazing place...You all should visit

Been to Toronto several times. The drivers on the Queens Highway are the craziest I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
cornish-story2.jpg

Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images

The CFL’s Most Outstanding Player Moonlights as a Banker
It’s not uncommon for Canadian Football League players to hold offseason jobs, just like their NFL counterparts from decades past. For Calgary Stampeders running back Jon Cornish, it helps prepare him for life after football
By Emily Kaplan

A man walks up to the bank window. “Wow,” the man says to the teller. “You look exactly like Jon Cornish, the running back for the Calgary Stampeders.”

The bank teller smiles. He’s bald, like Cornish, has broad shoulders, like Cornish, and that grin? It looks awfully familiar.

Another customer from the back of the line interjects. “Hold up,” he says. “That doesn’t just look like Jon Cornish, that is Jon Cornish!”

“The whole scene seems a bit corny,” says the bank teller, who is in fact the real Jon Cornish. “But that’s my life. Interactions like that happen all the time.”

Cornish, the 29-year-old British Columbia-born, Kansas-schooled running back is the reigning Canadian Football League Most Outstanding Player. Last year, he broke his own single-season rushing record with 1,813 yards, led the league with 2,157 yards from scrimmage and scored 14 touchdowns. When he’s not wearing his No. 9 jersey, he suits up (literally) for his second job at a TD Banknorth branch near a mall in Calgary.

During the season, Cornish squeezes in two six-hour bank shifts per week. In the seven-month offseason, he may work four or five days a week. “It’s a way I can get jumpstarted on my post-playing career,” he says. “But truth is, I really love both of my jobs.”

His story epitomizes the community-oriented CFL, and it’s also reminiscent of the NFL from decades past, when salaries were far lower and players like Cornish weren’t anomalies.

Take three NFL Hall of Famers, for example. Giants linebacker Sam Huff won a championship as a rookie in 1956. His $7,500 paycheck barely covered New York City living expenses, so he returned to West Virginia over the summer and bagged groceries. Y.A. Tittle moonlighted as an insurance salesman and Oilers defensive end Elvin Bethea worked at a Big & Tall clothing store in the offseason. The manager initially placed the 6-foot-2, 260-pound Bethea in the front of the store to greet customers. But when too many fans stopped by to ask for autographs or simply gawk, Bethea was granted his wish to work in a back room.

Cornish can relate. The bank customer who recognized him was wearing Cornish’s Stampeders jersey. Since the Cornish Flakes cereal hit the shelves of the Calgary Co-op in May, he’s been recognized more and more. “Plenty of fans get excited when they see Jon,” says Tony Yu, the bank’s branch manager. “But we value him for his work ethic. He’s great with customers.”

The number of CFL players with secondary careers is dwindling; Stampeders communications director Jean LeFebvre estimates that only 10% of the 43-man roster works offseason jobs. It’s a trend that coincides with the league’s growth. A new TV deal with TSN is reportedly worth $43 million annually, more than 2.5 times the previous $15 million per year. Yet second jobs are still far more common in the CFL than other sports leagues, especially the NFL.

The CFL’s recently ratified collective bargaining agreement set the salary cap at $5 million per year, per team—an uptick from the previous $4.4 million. For perspective: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan took home $42 million last year, enough to cover the salaries of every CFL player. Most estimates peg the average CFL salary around $80,000. The minimum for a rookie is $50,000. The Houston Texans No. 1 pick, Jadeveon Clowney, by contrast, will earn a $420,000 base salary (with a $3.6 million prorated bonus) in 2014.

While Cornish would not reveal his salary, the eight-year veteran emphasized he doesn’t need the extra income from working in a bank to make ends meet. He interviewed for the job in January 2013 at the insistence of his girlfriend’s father. Before that, Cornish said he “played way too many video games” and knew he could use his free time more effectively. As his college coach Mark Mangino tells it, Cornish preferred to hang out “in academic circles” rather than with teammates at Kansas. He majored in psychology, minored in women’s studies, and was often spotted reading books at the training facility.

“But the kid could play,” Mangino says, pointing to Cornish’s senior season in which he averaged 5.8 yards per carry and totaled 1,457 yards—both Jayhawks single-season records. Invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, but undrafted, Cornish didn’t sulk. “I think I may have let it be known too overtly that I would love to come back and play in Canada,” he says. Cornish joined the Stampeders in 2007 and signed a five-year extension in 2011.

TD Bank is a great fit for a CFL player, Wu says, because it’s open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week, allowing Cornish to be flexible with shifts that fit around his football schedule.

Cornish, an aspiring investment manager, completed the Canadian Securities Course last winter. He knows football won’t last forever, and he understands how hard it would be to apply for an entry-level job in his late 30s rather than his 20s. He’s grateful for the push from his girlfriend’s father. “I knew I would need a job eventually,” Cornish says. “Once my playing career is over, the revenue stream is going to stop. NFL players get a bit more of a cushion to fall back on. For the CFL, I suppose there’s a bit more of an urgency.”

Roughriders running back Kory Sheets, the 2013 Grey Cup MVP, understands that, too. The 29-year-old Connecticut native signed with the Oakland Raiders in February. But during the two months before he was scheduled to report to Oakland, Sheets kept his job unloading pieces of oil rigs for a trucking company in Saskatchewan.

sheets.jpg

Before signing with the Raiders, 2013 Grey Cup MVP Kory Sheets (right) worked for a trucking company in Saskatchewan. (Courtesy @TheRiderman63)

Argonauts wide receiver Mike Bradwell, a civil engineer in the offseason, celebrated winning the Grey Cup in 2013 by bringing the trophy to one of his construction sites. Cornish’s teammate, punter Rob Maver, works an office job where he helps manage properties and maintenance services for large companies (lucky for Maver, his two bosses are Calgary Stampeders season-ticket holders).

Patrick Kerney loves to hear these kinds of stories. An 11-year veteran of the NFL, Kerney is now the league’s vice president of player benefits. He sees a problem with financial literacy among NFL players and wants to train them to think with a long-term perspective. “You look at guys like Jon Cornish, or Matt Elam, and they understand,” Kerney says.

Elam is the Ravens’ 2013 first-round pick who took a job as a part-time sales associate at a sneaker store this offseason. He’s clocking about 20 hours a week at the Finish Line in a Gainesville, Fla., mall, working the floor and stocking shelves. “A historical pattern for players has been: ‘I want to get in the shoe business, how about I give a guy $500,000 to start a shoe business,’ ” Kerney says. “Elam said, ‘No, I want to throw my human capital at it, and I’ll get so much more out of it.’ “

Kerney doesn’t expect all NFL players to get offseason jobs. He does, however, want them to pay attention to opportunity cost—thinking about investments, extra degrees and post-playing opportunities during the beginning stages of their careers. Next offseason, the NFL will offer a personal finance program seminar in offseason hotbeds such as Miami and Southern California.

“Just to get guys thinking on the same wavelength as Cornish or Elam,” Kerney says. “Those guys really get it.”

In 2013, Cornish won the Lou Marsh Trophy, the annual award given to Canada’s top athlete. He was the first CFL player to receive the honor since 1969. When Cornish found out, he was still on his shift at the bank. Only when he got his scheduled break did he conduct a conference call with reporters.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
bombers-story.jpg

Marianne Helm/Getty Images (3)

What the CFL Feels Like
On the 2014 season-opening night in Winnipeg, an old fanbase found new hope, a fledgling quarterback's star was born and all the quirky charms that make the Canadian Football League what it is were on full display
By Jenny Vrentas

WINNIPEG, Manitoba, Canada — Concern had been in the air. You could feel it hanging over the city, just like the overcast gray skies. Winnipeggers apologized for the weather—even at this latitude, it’s supposed to be warmer in June—and confided their skepticism for their football team.

“All we have to do is win,” Kyle Walters, the team’s general manager, assured a fan last night, inside the 33,500-seat stadium no one was sure would sell out for the season opener.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers hadn’t done a lot of winning the past two years. Last season’s record was a dismal 3-15. Now, they were starting over, with a defensive scheme no one seemed to know anything about, and a new starting quarterback, Drew Willy, who had only a smattering of spot starts to his name at any level of professional football.

But it’s the same thing we say about parents: They worry because they love you. And boy, do Winnipeggers love their Blue Bombers. That only deepened when the NHL skipped town for 15 years, leaving the Canadian Football League Bombers as this sports town’s pro team.

So when Willy completed his first drive ever as a professional QB1 with a 27-yard touchdown pass—one of those fade routes that works so well in the vast 20-yard CFL end zones—there was a cavalcade of noises. Where were we, Seattle? The Bombers’ modern, U-shaped stadium looks like the Seahawks’ CenturyLink Field, and for being half the size—and far from full last night—it sounded a little like it, too.

They ring cowbells here (a crossover from the sport of curling, one of the locals said) and, after every score, a little bomber jet driven by “Captain Blue” takes a spin around the end zone printed with the University of Manitoba seal. The Bombers’ 7-0 lead over the Toronto Argonauts was cause enough for a “LET’S GO BOMBERS!” chant to reverberate off the tin roof.

No matter where football is played, there’s a story behind every touchdown. This one—three minutes and 34 seconds into the new CFL season—meant hope was alive in Winnipeg.

Drew Willy is here in Winnipeg because his time on NFL practice squads and scraping for preseason reps had run its course. Bombers coach Mike O’Shea, on the other hand, is a lifetime CFLer who logged 16 years as the prototypical gutsy middle linebacker, which included playing half of one season with a broken clavicle.

“Growing up in New Jersey, whoever thought I would have been here, playing in Winnipeg,” Willy said. But he recites his mission like a native Canadian: Make the province proud.

The Blue Bombers are a community-owned team, just like the Green Bay Packers, and with that seems to bring an added responsibility to players, coaches and executives. Bombers often end up staying here, and become embedded in the team’s fan base.

There’s Rod Hill, the cornerback who was a bust in the NFL but became the Bombers’ career interception leader (47 in five seasons). He manages a Superstore supermarket down the street from Investors Group Field. Ken Ploen, the Iowa quarterback who won four Grey Cups for the Bombers in the 1950s and 1960s, settled here, too. A few years ago, Ploen fulfilled one fan’s autograph request by inviting him to his home to pick up the signed photo.

And Obby Khan, who played six seasons as a Bombers offensive lineman, operates the “Shawarma Khan In A Snap” Middle Eastern food stand. It’s located inside the stadium next to the Rum Hut—that’s exactly what it sounds like—in a popular gathering area on the concourse. The thing about the CFL game and its 20-second play clock is that action happens quickly, so many fans were still waiting for rum shots or falafel wraps when the Bombers started to make their statement.

Willy was the underdog last night, particularly against Ricky Ray, the Argonauts veteran quarterback who completed an astounding 77.2 percent of his passes last season. In this game, though, Ray’s offense started with a punt, and then a fumble on the next drive, and then later on, one of those dreaded two-and-outs (three-down football, folks).

willy-ray.jpg

Ricky Ray (left) is a long-time CFL star, but it was first-time starter Drew Willy who shined on CFL’s opening night. (Marianne Helm/Getty Images)

Just a day earlier, Willy had been describing the awe of meeting Peyton Manning during Willy’s stint as a reserve quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts in 2009. But in his Winnipeg debut, Willy was a gunslinger. A 41-yard pass. A 47-yarder. (Both traveled most of that distance in the air). When Willy heaved a 25-yard fade route into the end zone, putting his Bombers ahead 24-0, the crowd rose to its feet for a standing ovation—in the second quarter.

Around this time, a reporter from the Winnipeg Sun retweeted a Twitter message from a fan in the stands: Overheard at the bomber game: “Beer tastes so much better when there are no tears in it.”

Lance Moore told his younger brother, Nick, long ago: Every football player makes his own path. The Steelers receiver was on the sidelines last night watching Nick, whose path led him to Canada, where he was the Bombers’ top free-agent signing this offseason. Nick Moore’s two-year contract reportedly earns him about $185,000 each season.

“I love coming up here,” Lance Moore said. “The game is fun. For a guy who loves catching passes, I don’t think it gets too much better.”

CFL rules create offense. Like the “waggle,” which permits a slotback like Nick Moore to take off toward the line of scrimmage with a running start before the ball is snapped. Moore “waggled” from some 10 yards or so behind the line of scrimmage on a 17-yard in-cut in the first quarter, and the defensive back didn’t have a chance to stop him.

There’s also a new rule in the CFL this season that gives teams the ability to challenge pass interference calls or no-calls. You can imagine the debate, but the Bombers weren’t complaining last night. O’Shea pulled out the yellow flag from his pocket (that’s the color of the challenge flags up here) on a blatant pass interference no-call in the end zone. Winnipeg got first-and-goal on the 1-yard line and—in something else that is a distinctly Canadian tactic—put in the back-up quarterback to run the sneak for a 31-7 lead in the third quarter.

Remember that love the Bombers have for their team? That also makes them hard to please. With a 24-point lead in their pocket, the Bombers committed a silly too many men on the field penalty on a punt, which allowed Toronto to score a touchdown. “Nice penalty, guys!” one fan bellowed from the end zone.

Sure, leads have a way of vanishing in the CFL. The game moves so quickly, and inside the three-minute warning, the clock stops after every play. But this wasn’t a tease, not for those fans in the stands who have had season tickets in their family for more than 50 years, dating back to the dynasty years of Ken Ploen and Bud Grant. No, last night, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers knocked off the best quarterback in the league and the would-be favorite in the CFL’s Eastern Conference, and the score—45-21—wasn’t even close.

“The fans needed this win,” O’Shea said. “This community needed it. That’s important, too.”

After the game, Willy found out that his friends back in the States were able to watch him play on ESPN 3. Then, he picked up his game check from a staffer sitting on a folding chair in the hallway.

This is the charm of the CFL. As fans sing over the national anthem at Bombers games, God keeps their land glorious and blue.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Season just started apparently. Watching on ESPN now and I gotta say, it doesn't suck. A nice little sport morsel while we wait.