Can you win with an Alex Smith type QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  1. Lighting
  2. Wearing them out
  3. University of Dayton, the only college I have posted about, but the memory is the 2nd thing to go Les.

I'm from Ohio!

So how do you get a University of Dayton grad off of your front porch?????

Pay him for the pizza!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm from Ohio!

So how do you get a University of Dayton grad off of your front porch?????
Pay him for the pizza!

Well, tough to find good Pizza in the State of Ohio, so I hope it was worth more than the joke....Jon Gruden & Chuck Knoll so some darn good football coaches, but nothing like the cradle of coaches that Miami of Ohio has produced, which includes, Sean McVay.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Alex Smith is just a name...You want a QB it comes from the heart which isnt viewable through the naked eye. It takes perseverance to overcome the obstacles to become a QB who wants to win. Wants. To win. Keep in mind.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Alex Smith with the Dallas OL and Ezekial Elliot would be tough if they also had a top five or top ten defense.

KC needs a franchise back, and a true #1 WR, then they would be a top SB threat.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't give a damn what kind of core they have, he puts them in a best situation to win it all and Jerry Jones knows that.
[av]http://www.mediacollege.com/downloads/sound-effects/star-trek/tos/music/Suspense_02_Preview.mp3[/av]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes you can, ravens won a SB with Trent Dilfer.

The QB's that year?

Dante Culpepper, Kerry Colins, Rich Gannon, and Trent Dilfer

Not exactly murderers row, IMO.

That is right about the time (shortly there after) the dependence seemed to increase on the QB.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Are you asking this question as to it pertaining to Jared Goff? If so ... I don't get the comparison. Goff has some elite skill sets that one needs to tailor the game plan around and utilize. We haven't seen it put to work yet and also, he is just coming off his rookie season with 7 starts. It normally takes right around 3 seasons for a young QB to reach his "potential". Remember ... he is VERY young. ?Younger than the others in his draft class. He is not nearly polished in the NFL style of game ... that is up to his coaches to bring out of him. And he hasn't been surrounded with all that much to work with ... shitty OL, unreliable WR corps, incompetent coaching and play calling.

So ... again .. I ask... is this to compare him to a seasoned Alex Smith? If so ... I don't get it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
dm_090127_nfl_dilfer_redo.jpg

If Trent Dillhole's eyes were any closer together....he would be a cyclops.

Thank you, and now we return you to your regular scheduled programming....

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you asking this question as to it pertaining to Jared Goff? If so ... I don't get the comparison. Goff has some elite skill sets that one needs to tailor the game plan around and utilize. We haven't seen it put to work yet and also, he is just coming off his rookie season with 7 starts. It normally takes right around 3 seasons for a young QB to reach his "potential". Remember ... he is VERY young. ?Younger than the others in his draft class. He is not nearly polished in the NFL style of game ... that is up to his coaches to bring out of him. And he hasn't been surrounded with all that much to work with ... crappy OL, unreliable WR corps, incompetent coaching and play calling.

So ... again .. I ask... is this to compare him to a seasoned Alex Smith? If so ... I don't get it.

I wasn't intending any association to Goff on this topic.

Just making the observation that the final team's all have elite QB's and that seems to be the case in recent years.

Guys like Alex Smith are good QB's, but is it becoming harder for QB's like that to string together enough consistency to navigate the playoffs?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I wasn't intending any association to Goff on this topic.

Just making the observation that the final team's all have elite QB's and that seems to be the case in recent years.

Guys like Alex Smith are good QB's, but is it becoming harder for QB's like that to string together enough consistency to navigate the playoffs?
Ok ... I gotcha :)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
In the original post I quoted

"Matt Ryan is pretty close to Alex Smith...he's about to have problems this week."
ah, ok I missed thst...Would certainly agree with you there...I've always thought more highly of Alex Smith than the whiners did, but he's certainly not Matt Ryan.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
You sure make it hard. Now that I'm noticing how motivation really swings momentum, I just think, teams that go in with a great QB, start out with a lil extra momentum. They can win any game...They can convert any down.

Matt Ryan is pretty close to Alex Smith...he's about to have problems this week.
You thought Seattle was going to take out Atlanta last week. Not a big fan of those dirty birdies? I'm taking Atlanta in this one :sneaky::sneaky:. Ryan has proven himself to be far above average, hell he is probably the MVP.
Seems to me that all the average QB's who have won the Super Bowl have had good running games and historically great defenses.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You thought Seattle was going to take out Atlanta last week.
I hate to throw excuses around...but that punt return penalty, with the injury to the RG?, then the injury to Shead...Just killed them.

Atl is all pomp...I do like Mike Shanahan's offense. But the Falcons defense is the worst of all 4 teams remaining. So is there offensive line.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I hate to throw excuses around...but that punt return penalty, with the injury to the RG?, then the injury to Shead...Just killed them.

Atl is all pomp...I do like Mike Shanahan's offense. But the Falcons defense is the worst of all 4 teams remaining. So is there offensive line.
Green Bay has some injuries, too. I'm thinking shootout here, going to be a fun one to watch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The QB's that year?

Dante Culpepper, Kerry Colins, Rich Gannon, and Trent Dilfer

Not exactly murderers row, IMO.

That is right about the time (shortly there after) the dependence seemed to increase on the QB.
Bingo.
So easy to just throw out the Trent Dilfer card without looking at the big picture. Would they have won in any other year? Doubt it.
Takes top flight qb play to get to and win the SB.
Is joe Flacco that much better than Alex Smith?