Can you win with an Alex Smith type QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The remaining playoff teams feature Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tom Brady.

2015; Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning

2014; Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson

That's a pretty solid trend of top tier QB's making the final four over the last few years. Coincidence? Or... has the league became THAT reliant on QB performance?

I was a little surprised when pulling this list together. I hadn't really noticed they were all top tier.

Thoughts?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Peyton Manning was far worse than that last year, and they won. Plus, the Chiefs were very nearly in the AFCCG this year (game should have been tied at 18 with a few minutes to go), so I'll say yes.

Scirca

Rookie
No. Bring in Tony Romo and I can easily picture that team as a super bowl favorite. If the Chiefs had a legit QB, they would have easily won this super bowl with that defense and special teams.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Of course you can, but it's just so much harder if you don't and everything has to fall into place. Even if KC won last week would they have beat NE?

You have to have a dominant run game or dominant defense to win that way.

So yes you can win with a average QB like Smith but it's highly unlikely IMO

A55VA6

Legend
You have to have a great defense to do it, imo. Guys like Alex Smith just have to take care of the football and make smart decisions. The rest is up to the D.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You sure make it hard. Now that I'm noticing how motivation really swings momentum, I just think, teams that go in with a great QB, start out with a lil extra momentum. They can win any game...They can convert any down.

Matt Ryan is pretty close to Alex Smith...he's about to have problems this week.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
If he had a Marshall Faulk , Isaac Bruce , Torry Holt ,Ricky Proehl , and Az Hakim , and an Offensive Line

He might be able to

TexasRam

Legend
dm_090127_nfl_dilfer_redo.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Smith is a tough one, he's like the girl in college that could looks great at night (even before drinks) and horrendous in the morning every time your with her. Just can't figure him out, but when the games on the line something always seems to happen. IMO if everything is working, yes you can win with him, but if the other team has a better QB you can't. Manning was worse in 2015, but against the Patriots, he made two big throws and maybe Smith just can't.

Alex Smith reminds me of Pat Haden with a better arm. Very smart, won't make plays to hurt you, but something will happen so he can't make the big play to put you over the top. Not all on Smith, but just seems to be that way. Romo does not end up in KC, I'm betting Chicago because of being from Eastern Illinois and the Bears not wanting a total rebuild, many have Denver and that could happen too, but it will be interesting to see where he lands, but IMO, it won't be Kansas City.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
You sure make it hard. Now that I'm noticing how motivation really swings momentum, I just think, teams that go in with a great QB, start out with a lil extra momentum. They can win any game...They can convert any down.

Matt Ryan is pretty close to Alex Smith...he's about to have problems this week.

Poppycock. Ryan is lightyears ahead of Smith.

TexasRam

Legend
I would never put Russel Wilson in the category of elite passer. He's played behind the best defense in the NFL in route to his Super Bowls. This year look what happened when earl thomas goes down.

Wilson is however a tremendous game manager and super smart.his scrambling ability is top notch for sure.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm not exactly sure what you're driving at when you ask if you can win with a quarterback like Alex Smith? It seems like most of the elite quarterbacks are mobile with a few pocket passers in the top slots.
Considering how he's a former number one draft pick one would hope that you could win with him.
However he seems to have a nice reputation of being a game manager which if I'm not mistaken is your question.
In my opinion you can definitely win with a quarterback like Alex Smith but I honestly think that his skill-set makes it harder

Scirca

Rookie
I would never put Russel Wilson in the category of elite passer. He's played behind the best defense in the NFL in route to his Super Bowls. This year look what happened when earl thomas goes down.

Wilson is however a tremendous game manager and super smart.his scrambling ability is top notch for sure.

Dak Prescott(game manager) is on that same boat. Ezekiel Elliot made him. I can't believe the media believes he is better then Tony Romo. It's so stupid, and to think that in the offseason they won't let him battle for the starting role. Hopefully Jerry Jones puts Romo back in. He has been a class act and one of the most underrated QB's of all time. One botched seahawks snap has ruined his career because morons won't let it go.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Dak Prescott(game manager) is on that same boat. Ezekiel Elliot made him. I can't believe the media believes he is better then Tony Romo. It's so stupid, and to think that in the offseason they won't let him battle for the starting role. Hopefully Jerry Jones puts Romo back in. He has been a class act and one of the most underrated QB's of all time. One botched seahawks snap has ruined his career because morons won't let it go.

Tony Romo's career is ruined and he is one of the most underrated quarterbacks of all time?? I'm not even going to get into the Ezekiel Elliott made Dak Prescott comment. All I want to know is have you been drinking?:blah::blah:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You either need an elite defense or and elite QB. The elite QB is harder to find, the elite defense is harder to keep.

Scirca

Rookie
Tony Romo's career is ruined and he is one of the most underrated quarterbacks of all time?? I'm not even going to get into the Ezekiel Elliott made Dak Prescott comment. All I want to know is have you been drinking?:blah::blah:

You can't sit there and say that with a straight face that Tony Romo isn't better than Dak Prescott, which is something Jerry Jones knows btw.. He see's them in practice everyday. Could you imagine what Tony Romo would have done behind that offensive line this year.

Tony Romo is one super bowl win away from being a HOFer.