Can Cashman get some Kudos?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Guzman does have the best stuff, but that doesn't always translate. Adams does need to cut down on the walks, but the fact is that he's 28-6 with a 2.4 ERA over the past two years in the minors. This past season, he had a 15-5 record and a 2.45 ERA between AA and AAA ball. I think Adams will stick. He may not have #1 stuff, but he has the right intangibles and stuff to be a middle of the rotation guy imo.

The Yankees are set in the rotation for the next few years with Severino, Tanaka, and Grey. Add in Montgomery and CC and this year looks good with Adams possibly filling in for injuries. I think he struggles in the majors. Adams is short, short pitchers tend to be fly ball pitchers, which is bad in Yankee stadium. The Yankees love their tall pitchers with the downward plane to help keep the ball on the ground. Plus he walks a lot of hitters. It doesn't look like a good combo on paper. I think Sheffield is pretty short too. With the condition of the current pitching staff, I prefer the upside guys with Ace-like stuff. Guzman throws near 100 for entire games. His stuff is electric.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Yankees are set in the rotation for the next few years with Severino, Tanaka, and Grey. Add in Montgomery and CC and this year looks good with Adams possibly filling in for injuries. I think he struggles in the majors. Adams is short, short pitchers tend to be fly ball pitchers, which is bad in Yankee stadium. The Yankees love their tall pitchers with the downward plane to help keep the ball on the ground. Plus he walks a lot of hitters. It doesn't look like a good combo on paper. I think Sheffield is pretty short too. With the condition of the current pitching staff, I prefer the upside guys with Ace-like stuff. Guzman throws near 100 for entire games. His stuff is electric.

I'm not sold that we should bring C.C. back, especially with us grabbing Stanton. Swapping Gardy for a starting pitcher might end up being an option.

Adams and Sheffield are both short, but Severino and Sonny Gray are also short.

Personally, I think giving up a guy like Guzman to get Stanton ain't much, and I'd rather keep the SPs who are about ready to contribute for some obvious reasons.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not sold that we should bring C.C. back, especially with us grabbing Stanton. Swapping Gardy for a starting pitcher might end up being an option.

Adams and Sheffield are both short, but Severino and Sonny Gray are also short.

Personally, I think giving up a guy like Guzman to get Stanton ain't much, and I'd rather keep the SPs who are about ready to contribute for some obvious reasons.

I agree. Giving up Guzman for Stanton is what it takes. A lot of potential stars never reach their ceilings. I just wish it was one of the others.

I disagree about CC. He was the man in the playoffs. I know he has the bad knee, but if anything it could give guys like Adams and Sheffield a chance to get some starts.

I like Gardner. He was a team leader last year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
6’1 is short?
Chance Adams is the real deal and any lefty with Sheffield stuff doesn’t need height.
Darvish is 6’5 and I don’t want anything to do with him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. Giving up Guzman for Stanton is what it takes. A lot of potential stars never reach their ceilings. I just wish it was one of the others.

I disagree about CC. He was the man in the playoffs. I know he has the bad knee, but if anything it could give guys like Adams and Sheffield a chance to get some starts.

I like Gardner. He was a team leader last year.

Here are my thoughts:
1. On C.C., I love what he gave us last year. I respect the hell out of him. However, it'll likely cost us a 1-year deal worth around $10 million to bring him back. I don't trust C.C. His body is breaking down, his stuff is declining, and he has major personal issues away from the field. He could fall off a cliff in terms of stuff this year. He could get injured and miss the most of the year. His personal demons could return. Any of things is very problematic for a guy who has had more bad years than good over the last five. I'd rather have another guy be our #5 until Chance or Justus is ready.

2. I love Gardy. His leadership is valuable, but we now have Stanton, Judge, and Clint Frazier in addition to Gardy. We could flip Gardy for a #5 SP. Yea, we could do the same with Barnes, but I'd rather keep the young player. However, it seems the Yankees are going to trade Barnes (I don't really like that).

6’1 is short?
Chance Adams is the real deal and any lefty with Sheffield stuff doesn’t need height.
Darvish is 6’5 and I don’t want anything to do with him

Agree.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It would be great if Adams pans out, but I don't have faith he will. Sheffield seems like the total package especially from the fall league reports about his improved control. However, he has yet to play in AAA.

I have read that the Yankees have already talked to CC about a return. If Adams is as good as you guys think then he is great insurance in case CC falls apart. So, no worries. The free agent market is weak this winter. Prices will be high for marginal talent. Trading Gardner isn't going to net much because of his age. Nobody wanted him last winter.

I am not sold on Clint Frazier either. He is a one hit a game type. Not a clutch rib guy. I think he is overrated.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder how Aaron Judge is gonna feel if they move him to left field considering Stanton plays Right

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bye bye Headley.
Bryan Mitchell goes with him. Decent arm

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am glad Headley is gone. He is too streaky. It seems CC is not a priority. They are looking at a deal for a starter. Gerrit Cole, Danny Duffy, Fullmer, Corbin.....

I don’t have a preference. Cashman said they are circling the airport and awaiting permission to land. They are very excited to do this deal. I am going to guess it is Cole. They drafted him years ago. Second guess would be Fullmer. They were trying to get him last year. They keep this up and they won’t need any of their more developed minor leaguers.

Speculation is that all those teams would want Gleyber Torres. I hope they can avoid that piece. Give them Frazier instead with Adams and Abreu.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am glad Headley is gone. He is too streaky. It seems CC is not a priority. They are looking at a deal for a starter. Gerrit Cole, Danny Duffy, Fullmer, Corbin.....

I don’t have a preference. Cashman said they are circling the airport and awaiting permission to land. They are very excited to do this deal. I am going to guess it is Cole. They drafted him years ago. Second guess would be Fullmer. They were trying to get him last year. They keep this up and they won’t need any of their more developed minor leaguers.

Speculation is that all those teams would want Gleyber Torres. I hope they can avoid that piece. Give them Frazier instead with Adams and Abreu.
Gleyber Torres? For those guys? No way!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with you. Torres isn't worth anyone in that group. The Red Sox gave up Moncado for Sale. That list is nowhere close to Sale.

The last I read it sounds like Gerrit Cole is closest to being acquired. He has been inconsistent in the big league, but I bet the Yankees and Rothchilds think they can fix him. I love that they retained Rothchds, he is a very good pitching coach. However, not everyone can be fixed. Pinhead never got over his inconsistencies with the Yankees, despite dominating stuff. If they do get Cole and can figure his problems, it would be amazing for the pitching staff. He has Ace potential.

I watched mlb network earlier and there was a Boston beat writer and a Yankee beat writer and two hosts. They rated the Red Sox and Yankees by position. They ended up being tied. The Yankees currently don't have a second or third basemen so they lost there. However they lost the outfield vote. The Yankee beat writer picked Mookie Betts as the best outfielder of the group. The Boston guy favored the Yankees outfield. I bet that Stanton, Judge, Gardner and Hicks have better totals than Betts, Benintendi, and Hanley Ramirez.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with you. Torres isn't worth anyone in that group. The Red Sox gave up Moncado for Sale. That list is nowhere close to Sale.

The last I read it sounds like Gerrit Cole is closest to being acquired. He has been inconsistent in the big league, but I bet the Yankees and Rothchilds think they can fix him. I love that they retained Rothchds, he is a very good pitching coach. However, not everyone can be fixed. Pinhead never got over his inconsistencies with the Yankees, despite dominating stuff. If they do get Cole and can figure his problems, it would be amazing for the pitching staff. He has Ace potential.

I watched mlb network earlier and there was a Boston beat writer and a Yankee beat writer and two hosts. They rated the Red Sox and Yankees by position. They ended up being tied. The Yankees currently don't have a second or third basemen so they lost there. However they lost the outfield vote. The Yankee beat writer picked Mookie Betts as the best outfielder of the group. The Boston guy favored the Yankees outfield. I bet that Stanton, Judge, Gardner and Hicks have better totals than Betts, Benintendi, and Hanley Ramirez.
Probably have to give up Frazier for Cole. I know you don’t like him but I really do. Frazier that is.
Got to give up to get I guess

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Seems Pittsburgh is asking for Frazier and a MLB ready minor league pitcher. So that would mean Chance Adams, Luis Cessa, or maybe Domingo German. Cole had an era slightly above 4.00 last year and over 200 innings. I guess it comes down to how badly the Yankees want him and if they think they can figure out why his stuff doesn't translate to more success. Axis said he doesn't have good spin rate, which usually means less movement on pitches. They recently tried 'fixing' similar pitchers in Pineda and Eavoldi, with no real success. The basically left the way they came. High strikeouts but not high win totals.

C.C. got his 1 year deal for ten million. I had read that he talked to the Blue Jays and another team. Some think his agent was trying to scare the Yankees. The Yankees planned to sign him anyway. I wonder if they are trying to make Pittsburgh think that they are moving on from because they want too much for Cole. Initial reports were that C.C. was told they would sign him once all the moves were done. They still are in need at third base and second. I guess they could fill in with Torreyes and Wade for now but that doesn't seem optimal. Wade hit .300 at AAA, but looked overmatched with the NY Yankees. Torrents was surprisingly good last year but doesn't look to be a full time third basemen.

I hope they aren't all in on Cole. There are still a few other possibilities possible.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yankees looking at Longoria? That’s wild. 5 years and 86 mill left on that deal isn’t bad.
Now that cc is back in the fold i don’t know how much id give up for cole. We’ll have 6 starters and chance Adams will come up this year

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yankees looking at Longoria? That’s wild. 5 years and 86 mill left on that deal isn’t bad.
Now that cc is back in the fold i don’t know how much id give up for cole. We’ll have 6 starters and chance Adams will come up this year

I don’t understand the Longoria interest. He is in slow decline. Maybe they are trying to package him with Archer.

If Cashman thinks they really need a sixth starter then he doesn’t think Adams can be successful as the injury fill in starter. The more I read about Cole the less I like. The other four all seem like better moves. Corbin would be the cheapest in prospects and has produced as well as Cole.