Can Cashman get some Kudos?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He’s hitting on them because they are on fire. It’s all good. Any Yankee news is good news. Gerald Williams was a longtime ago. We haven’t had an outfield prospect work out (for us anyways) other than Judge. But they were nuts about several of them, like mason Williams. Refsnyders bat was always thought highly of but he has no position.
Anyways we are loaded now and that’s all that matters

I have a different perspective.

One the Yankees in general over rate their own prospects and teams always fell for it. Teams trade good prospects to get marginal ones. I think the trades for Sonny Grey and Robertson, Kahnle, and Frazier were total wins for the Yankees. I don't think there will be a comparable player to Grey for the Athletics, and if Fowler gets healthy, maybe he can counter the bullpen production they let go.So, with the Yankees and the rest of the league overreacting their prospect for so long it is easy to buy the hype.

Secondly when nothing comes through for years it is also easy to think more highly of a decent prospect hitting well in the minors. Kevin Maas, Bam Bam Muelens, Shelley Duncan etc.

Third, I think now that the system is loaded with talent it is easier to compare who is really good.

Fourth there is more and more coverage of minor league prospects to help weigh your own opinion. Guys like Keith Law, or Baseball America among others give deeper insight than just start lines.

I happen to like Mike's top thirty prospect lists better than others.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I remember way back when Roberto Kelly was our biggest OF prospect. It didn't work out and we got Paul O'Neil straight up for him......so it worked out in the end. It's not just 'what the Yankees think of ______.' It's what he's perceived as around MLB. As far as outfield prospects go, we had a ton of them and used some of them to get some good pieces. Rutherford became expendable because of Florial. He helped get us Robertson, Kahnle and Frazier. Fowler, who we got from the Cubs for Chapman, helped us get Gray. So we have Florial, McKinney and Cave in the minors, Frazier is probably on the 25 man next year and with Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury and Judge where's the room for those guys? Anybody know anything about 16 year old Pereira?

What will they do with them all, is a good question. Some obviously won't make the jump. Some will go in the Rule 5 draft and the minor league rule 5 version and more will be traded.

Florida is looking like the cream of the crop. If he is as good as he seems, he makes Aaron Hicks expendable, or Gardner. I am not convinced but Clint Frazier may make one expendable in two years. They also have shortstops and second basemen galore. I am most excited about and interested the minor league pitching. In a few years they could have a rotation of Severino, Grey, Guzman, Sheffield and Acevedo, or Adams.with many others close behind.

This surplus will help build a great team one way or another. I just wish Jeter would have stayed away from Denbo.

My favorite prospect to follow in the early nineties was Sam Militello. He came up midseason and was sensational right away. He had a killer curve. He was injured that same year and never got it back. Remember him?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just wish Jeter would have stayed away from Denbo.

My favorite prospect to follow in the early nineties was Sam Militello. He came up midseason and was sensational right away. He had a killer curve. He was injured that same year and never got it back. Remember him?

Jeter's not stupid. They'll be picking prospects out of the Yankees farm the next couple of seasons.

I don't remember Militello. I remember Brien Taylor. He was supposed to be THE guy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeter's not stupid. They'll be picking prospects out of the Yankees farm the next couple of seasons.

I don't remember Militello. I remember Brien Taylor. He was supposed to be THE guy.
I remember millitello. Crafty pitcher. The guy they talked about then was JT Snow and before we had a chance to see him they traded him for Jim Abbott
Brien Taylor was gonna be a star but iirc he wrecked his shoulder in a bar room brawl and was never the same.
Then there was the killer B’s, Betances, Banuelos and Brackman.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I remember millitello. Crafty pitcher. The guy they talked about then was JT Snow and before we had a chance to see him they traded him for Jim Abbott
Brien Taylor was gonna be a star but iirc he wrecked his shoulder in a bar room brawl and was never the same.
Then there was the killer B’s, Betances, Banuelos and Brackman.

Taylor got involved in a fight at the traitor court where his mom lived. He got shoved and a tall propane tank fell against his pitching arm.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Taylor got involved in a fight at the traitor court where his mom lived. He got shoved and a tall propane tank fell against his pitching arm.
Thought it was a bar fight. Either way it was a shame he got hurt and never materialized.
And now the off season for the Yankees begins.
Biggest need offensively imo is a lead off hitter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thought it was a bar fight. Either way it was a shame he got hurt and never materialized.
And now the off season for the Yankees begins.
Biggest need offensively imo is a lead off hitter.

Gardner was huge in the Cleveland games but he tailed of against Houston. That is why any team in the league could have had Gardner for a song. He is not so consistent anymore.

Elsbury is looking like a bust. I hated the signing. They are stuck with him if they aren't willing to eat his contract. Even so, they may still be stuck with him. Fowler was in line to become the Center fielder and lead off guy. He was a perfect fit. That knee injury made the Yankees to be willing to trade him, plus his desperation to acquire better relief pitching.

So who is left to lead off? There are two minor league options. One is Miguel Andujar. The other is Gleyber Torres. Both project to be high average hitters. But, if it is true that Torres is projected for third, then Andujar is out. Castro sucked in the post season as did Hicks. If Hicks gets his hitting on track he could be a leadoff hitter. I don't think Castro fits the bill.

Thairo Estrada is in AA I think. He plays second base and has a high batting average. He could slide in at leadoff nicely but may be two seasons away. I think Clint Frazier could be a lead off hitter but as you know, I am skeptical that he can hit for high average.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope they try and move Ellsbury. Gardner can have another year and then Frazier will be the full time LF. Hicks had a much better year with them and he's young and talented. He goes and gets them in CF, has a cannon arm and is a switch hitter. Judge is Judge. Good all around player. Frazier needs some seasoning but he's close. Torres is expected to have some power too. Castro is a .300 hitter. Didi is Didi, the heart of the team. Some say Bird is their best hitter.

At some point in 2018

Hicks, CF
Judge, RF
Bird, 1B
Sanchez, C
Gregorius, SS
Castro, 2B
Frazier, DH
Torres, 3B
Gardner, LF

Gardner and Hicks are interchangeable.

They need to pick up another LH hitter IMHO, once they move Headley. Oh hell what do I know, other than they are LOADED right now?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Castro is more of a .270 hitter. He has some bad moments with the glove. Unless Torres pushes the issue in Spring training, he won't start with the major league team. His injury rehab is going well but Cashman wants to see him for a few months in AAA first. So they'll need someone at third. Headley probably stays. It will be the same lineup as last year, except at DH.

Supposedly a full-time DH is not in the cards. But that may have changed now that Ohtani said he will only play on the West Coast. I wonder if Andujar can push the issue to be the main DH and switch out at third for Headley. Headley can spell Bird at first. Torreyes can cover shortstop and second. They will be set. But if Ellsbury is traded they will need a fourth outfielder.

If Torres pushes for a starting spot, I think it's third base at first but in time he would have to move to second. Andujar can't play the middle. Or if they don't like Andujar, Thairo Estrada could play second, short or third. Lots of options.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems weird that the Yankees will be relatively quiet again this year in hot stove.
I do believe that Kyle Schwarber will find his way in to a Yankee uniform some day if Cashman has his way. I dont think he'll ever produce in the National League because he just doesnt have a position
I know his numbers suffered at 3rd when he was with the Cubs, but that's where I see Castro playing net year and let Torres play 2nd. Let he and Didi start working their magic.
Headley not going anywhere, even though he's on his final year, I just dont see anyone wanting that salary with that little production on a 1 year rental. Gardner could get some bites but no chance on dumping Ellsbury. That contract is just sickening.... Might be able to get a nice return on Hicks, he's cheap and under team control for 2 years. I think its a sell high situation. Of course I do believe that Frazier is the real deal

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Seems weird that the Yankees will be relatively quiet again this year in hot stove.
I do believe that Kyle Schwarber will find his way in to a Yankee uniform some day if Cashman has his way. I dont think he'll ever produce in the National League because he just doesnt have a position
I know his numbers suffered at 3rd when he was with the Cubs, but that's where I see Castro playing net year and let Torres play 2nd. Let he and Didi start working their magic.
Headley not going anywhere, even though he's on his final year, I just dont see anyone wanting that salary with that little production on a 1 year rental. Gardner could get some bites but no chance on dumping Ellsbury. That contract is just sickening.... Might be able to get a nice return on Hicks, he's cheap and under team control for 2 years. I think its a sell high situation. Of course I do believe that Frazier is the real deal

Not so fast on the quiet front. Stanton used his no trade clause to nix the trade to San Francisco. He will only accept a trade to four possible teams; Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, and Astros. The latest reports are that the Yankees are nearing the final stages in a trade for Stanton. It won't involve any top tier prospects either. Most likely some outside the top ten. Plus it seems Castro is part of the deal to offset money and try to stay under the luxury tax. I guess the rotating DH situation would be nixed if this trade happens. CC would be the definite free agent starter since he won't cost much. Stanton would be a huge addition to the Yankees lineup.

In other news, Ellsbury wants to remain with the Yankees even if it is as an outfield sub. Man I hated that signing. And they paid him like a top tier free agent in his prime. Ugh. I will be amazed if they can trade him and get some of that money off the books. They may have to include some good prospects to get someone to agree to take him and pay a good portion of his contract. If he has a no trade clause, then I guess he won't be accepting any trades based on what he said.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not so fast on the quiet front. Stanton used his no trade clause to nix the trade to San Francisco. He will only accept a trade to four possible teams; Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, and Astros. The latest reports are that the Yankees are nearing the final stages in a trade for Stanton. It won't involve any top tier prospects either. Most likely some outside the top ten. Plus it seems Castro is part of the deal to offset money and try to stay under the luxury tax. I guess the rotating DH situation would be nixed if this trade happens. CC would be the definite free agent starter since he won't cost much. Stanton would be a huge addition to the Yankees lineup.

In other news, Ellsbury wants to remain with the Yankees even if it is as an outfield sub. Man I hated that signing. And they paid him like a top tier free agent in his prime. Ugh. I will be amazed if they can trade him and get some of that money off the books. They may have to include some good prospects to get someone to agree to take him and pay a good portion of his contract. If he has a no trade clause, then I guess he won't be accepting any trades based on what he said.
Well I hate to admit it but I loved the Ellsbury signing. So wrong on that one. I agree he’s hard to move but I think if a trade was to a contender he’d waive the no trade. I could see him agreeing to go to Kansas City for example but the Yankees would have to eat a lot of that contract.
Personally, I’d rather not get Stanton.
He’s been injury prone and scoring runs isn’t the team problem.
I love the youth movement and think a Stanton deal would reverse that course

Edit- reading now that this is close to being done. Wow

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Trade is pending physicals.

Yankees get Stanton and 30 million dollars.
Marlins get Starlin Castro, Jorge Guzman (ouch), Jose Devers(Rafael's bro).

I love it except for Guzman. I think Guzman is the Yankees best starting pitching prospect. He has number 1 quality stuff. He just needs fine tuning. I wish they had gone for Chance Adams, Justus Sheffield, or Albert Abreau instead. Guzman has the highest ceiling IMO. I bet Denbo think so too.

I wonder if what instigated this was being denied by Ohtani. Did Hal want to make a splash, but couldn't with Shohei so this was next best?

Second is wide open for Torres now too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Yankees scored 858 runs in 2017

Add Stanton's projected 104 rbi and you get 962. That is 66 more runs scored than league leading Houston.

I know that Castro's rib have to be deducted. His projection is 62. If Torres is half as good as he is supposed to be he should be able to get 50 rib. So there isn't a lot of difference. Throw in Andujar and this team could lead in runs for the next five years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade is pending physicals.

Yankees get Stanton and 30 million dollars.
Marlins get Starlin Castro, Jorge Guzman (ouch), Jose Devers(Rafael's bro).

I love it except for Guzman. I think Guzman is the Yankees best starting pitching prospect. He has number 1 quality stuff. He just needs fine tuning. I wish they had gone for Chance Adams, Justus Sheffield, or Albert Abreau instead. Guzman has the highest ceiling IMO. I bet Denbo think so too.

I wonder if what instigated this was being denied by Ohtani. Did Hal want to make a splash, but couldn't with Shohei so this was next best?

Second is wide open for Torres now too.

I think it was cheap enough that you had to pull the trigger on Stanton. That's not much for a guy who was the NL MVP. He is injury prone, but Castro wasn't long for this team. And neither guy given up was a top prospect. Guzman is talented, though.

I'm glad they kept Chance Adams. I'd like to see him end up in our rotation this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it was cheap enough that you had to pull the trigger on Stanton. That's not much for a guy who was the NL MVP. He is injury prone, but Castro wasn't long for this team. And neither guy given up was a top prospect. Guzman is talented, though.

I'm glad they kept Chance Adams. I'd like to see him end up in our rotation this year.

Guzman has the best stuff of the group. He projects to be a number 1. Adams walks too many still. I don’t think he sticks long term. They have Grey, Tanaka, and Severino So trading a future guy like Guzman or Devers is worth it. The Yankees are in win now mode. It’s good to be back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guzman has the best stuff of the group. He projects to be a number 1. Adams walks too many still. I don’t think he sticks long term. They have Grey, Tanaka, and Severino So trading a future guy like Guzman or Devers is worth it. The Yankees are in win now mode. It’s good to be back.

Guzman does have the best stuff, but that doesn't always translate. Adams does need to cut down on the walks, but the fact is that he's 28-6 with a 2.4 ERA over the past two years in the minors. This past season, he had a 15-5 record and a 2.45 ERA between AA and AAA ball. I think Adams will stick. He may not have #1 stuff, but he has the right intangibles and stuff to be a middle of the rotation guy imo.