Camp Tuesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Fisher came out in more weather appropriate short sleeves today. He was also a lot more animated and vocal during the drills. He doesn't take players off to the side and give them one-one coaching like Spags or Martz did. But today he led a lot of the initial special teams stuff and the two minute drills.

QBs-The only reps I saw Brandstadter take were when they split the squads into two for the two minute drills. Austin Davis has good mechanics, comes right over the top in his delivery and has a quick release. Clemons looked absolutely awful during the initial two minute drill and only advanced the team about ten yards. I saw a lot of bootlegs and roll outs today. Sam to my eyes at least doesn't show any signs of being gimpy or having trouble with his ankle. But there is also no contact yet. I did see Sam take Quick off to the side and talk to him about reads and routes.

RBs-Pead just seems to find a blocker, jumps behind them and then hides until there is a crack. Really like the instincts I see so far. Richardson practiced but I didn't get to see much. Mughelli for being so huge really gets his pads low when driving through the hole.Lowest man wins.

WR's-Salas got more time at split end and the X receiver. He had a really good route in the red zone drill against Johnson for a TD on a back shoulder throw from Sam. I saw Smith beat several jams at the line. Its still Gibson and Smith as the starters right now.

Quick motioned into the slot on one red zone drill and beat Finnegan at the line on a jam. He ran a good route but didn't catch the pass. I was sitting with three other guys and we wanted to see a fade to him in the worst way and started calling for it but it never came.

DX did run quite a bit on the sidelines today...we 'll see.

Johnson did not pop out as much today as Sunday.

A lot of fans think that Pettis is going to be cut but he has the two best catches I have seen in the two I have been there so far.

TEs-Kendricks ran some pretty half assed routes in the two minute drills and dropped a couple of passes. He was pulled at one point. He did come back later and play better in the 11 on 11. Peterson from LSU had a couple of really nice routes and catches, way too light to be an in line blocker but he flashed very strong today. Matt Mulligan cannot catch...but we knew that.

Oline-A lot of the line drills at the start of practice take place away from the spectator area. Its very hard to see and then once they go into 11 on 11they split the squad at first and you can only see so much. Saffold pancaked Quinn on one rush, but Smith is having a hell of a time containing Long. The Dline is playing out of the wide 9 Washburn set and that gave both Saffold and Smith fits in the opener last year.

Special teams-Hekker was angling punts really well early. Malone has no chance at all and should probably pack tonight.

Zuerlein is very entertaining to watch. I will say the guy in the tower doesn't seem to ever flinch or dodge no matter how close he comes to him. I believe he nailed a 60 yarder today and then barely missed a 63 yarder.

They are devoting a lot of time to special teams drills and the soon to be immortal Rok Watkins loafed through all of them. I saw Coach Fassel talking to him at one point.

Dline-Matt Conrath running with the twos at DT along with Cudjo. Scott seems burried at this point. I hope that Long and Quinn are just that good and Saffold and Smith aren't that bad....that is about all I can say on that point until Saturday and they have pads on.

Linebackers-I really like what I see of Dunbar and Haggan so far in the gaps. I got a really good view of Dunbar today and he plays off with his hands very well. Haggan is on the strong side and comes off on passing downs.

DBacks-It seems Stewart and Dahl are rotating reps on a daily basis with the ones. Today Dahl was up. The starters at corner are Jenkins and Finnegan with Fletcher and Johnson coming in next. They do a lot of back pedal drills and flow with the ball drills emphasizing flipping the hips and turning driving on the ball. Gordy did not practice today. Murphy has his formerly broken ankle heavily taped and spatted to his shoe. Jenkins excels at the back pedal drills and flips and turns fluidly and really drives to the ball. Johnson does better when he moves side to side and his lateral movement is very good. He does not turn and drive fluidly yet and there is enough of a pause in flipping his hips to allow a completion. That is coachable.

They played off a lot and even rolled up into a zone on the outside today and the slot guys were all in man and on the line jamming. Jenkins got caught peeking into the backfield a couple of times and allowed some long passes on posts and slants.

It was a great time we sat by the NFL Network tent and could hear the director feeding Darlington stories...."We are going to zoom in on Jenkins, troubled past, mention it."

PhxRam

good report, thanks for sharing.

Couple of things that struck me.

Gibson: I know its early, but why, oh why, oh why, cant anyone unseat Gibson? This guy is like a cat without the limitations of 9 lives.

Kendricks: Again I know its early, but I had high hopes for this guy. I hope he gets it turned around.

Jenkins: Everyone knows about his checkered past. Just let it go already. Dude sounds like he is the real deal so far, why not focus on this instead?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
PhxRam said:
good report, thanks for sharing.

Couple of things that struck me.

Gibson: I know its early, but why, oh why, oh why, cant anyone unseat Gibson? This guy is like a cat without the limitations of 9 lives.

Kendricks: Again I know its early, but I had high hopes for this guy. I hope he gets it turned around.

Jenkins: Everyone knows about his checkered past. Just let it go already. Dude sounds like he is the real deal so far, why not focus on this instead?

What Jenkins needs to do is mention it himself every time he's asked a question and the press will get as sick of hearing it as we are.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
What Jenkins needs to do is mention it himself every time he's asked a question and the press will get as sick of hearing it as we are.
Ha. That's not a bad idea. He should preface every answer he gives with, "I smoked weed, got kicked out of college and have several kids out of wedlock."

J.T. "How do you feel about this defensive scheme?"
J.J. "I smoked weed, got kicked out of college, and have several kids out of wedlock, and I like this defense."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hey Jim, how big does Conrath look in comparison to Brockers & Langford? I heard he's taller & heavier.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Hey Jim, how big does Conrath look in comparison to Brockers & Langford? I heard he's taller & heavier.

He is built like a DE and is 6:07 and 290. He bends his knees well for a tall kid and got a good push. His lateral movement was very good. It appears that right now he is the third DT in and Laws is 4th. Scott has been buried in the reps and hardly gets any with the big boys.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Add onto Kendricks comments.

The talent is there I think even his most severe critics would agree with that.

He had a real problem with getting his hands set and both waiting for the pass and keeping them still. On almost all his drops he would turn them face up, then face down and then back again before the pass would get there and then surprise it would bounce out.

What I have seen so far in this camp is a concentration, and yes at times effort problem. When he was pulled yesterday he had been running some seam routes down the middle with really no effort or awareness at all. His drops are coming on slants where the ball just bounces off his hands and that points to a concentration problem to me.

He did a lot better after getting pulled from the drills and seemed to settle down some.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fish is pulling people off that field left and right it seems.

Good.

Getcha mind right.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
X said:

X, yeah he looks huge compared to others. He's 6'7 and 290 lbs. He looks pretty good on the passing down out there

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ljramsfan said:
X, yeah he looks huge compared to others. He's 6'7 and 290 lbs. He looks pretty good on the passing down out there
Nyshe. I like what they're doing in the middle there by adding guys who are so tall their heads interrupt passing lanes. I also dug that photo of all you Twitter guys out at camp. You looked like a young Cuba Gooding out there. :shifty:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
ljramsfan said:
X said:

I've been trying to tell you folks about Conrath. He WILL be on the 53 and he WILL see the field. :ww:

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
X said:
ljramsfan said:
Nyshe. I like what they're doing in the middle there by adding guys who are so tall their heads interrupt passing lanes. I also dug that photo of all you Twitter guys out at camp. You looked like a young Cuba Gooding out there. :shifty:

I get that A LOT!