Camp Report 7/27/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 7/27/14

Players not participating: Ethan Westbrooks; Christian Bryant; Sammy Brown; Johnny Millard; Kadeem Jones, Trumaine Johnson, William Hayes, Scott Wells, Brandon Washington

Jake Long participated in the unit drills, but did NOT participate in TEAM DRILLS

Offensive Line:

1st Unit: Long Saffold Barnes Joseph Barksdale (this was how they lined up during the unit drills)

2nd Unit: Person Rhaney Jones Bond Hooey

3rd Unit: Van Dyk Rhaney Jones Morrell Dill

· I need to point out, the Depth Chart above indicates how they lined up during the UNIT DRILLS and Walk thrus.

· Once they got into any team stuff, bump up both the Center and LT spots.

· So during teams activities it looked like:

o Saffold Robinson Barnes Joseph Barksdale

o Person Rhaney Jones Bond Hooey

· Davin Joseph was a constant at RG with the 1st unit throughout practice.

· The rotation with Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes continues with Barnes getting the 1 unit reps today

· Note that Greg Robinson was back at Left Guard with Rodger Saffold taking reps at Left TACKLE

· Shake up on the 2nd unit, with Rhaney getting a look at Left Guard, and Robert Person at Left Tackle

Defensive Line:

1st Unit: Long Brockers Langford Quinn

2nd Unit: Sam Carrington Conrath Sims

3rd Unit: Sam Donald Harlan K. Brown

· Donald took a handful of reps with the 1st unit when they went to Nickel package, but for the most part was getting 3rd unit reps the rest of the 11 on 11 work

Linebackers:

1st Unit: Ogletree Laurinatis Dunbar

2nd Unit: Steward Bates Armstrong

3rd Unit: L. Wilson Schiller Sabino

· Phillip Steward seems to have gotten the attention of G. Williams.

Defensive Backs:

1st Unit: Jenkins McGee McDonald McLeod

2nd Unit: Woodard Gaines Davis Alexander

3rd Unit: Roberson Reid A. Cunningham Daniels

· Matt Daniels saw his first action in the team drills

· Brandon McGee stepped in for Johnson getting 1st unit reps

· They got some work in the Nickel Package today.

· Joyner took 1st unit reps at Nickel

· Daniels took some reps with the 2nd unit as Nickel, only to be replaced by Gaines

Theme of the day: Offense turns up the heat

o Best practice thus far for the offense. Worked a lot on Red Zone packages.

o Bradford looked like Bradford of old. By far the best he has looked. Passes were crisp and out on time.

o Brian Quick was the “go to guy” all day. He had more receptions than the rest of the WRs combined.

Special Teams:

Punt Coverage; Worked on coverage drills, interior line and backs (no gunners)

1st Unit:

Cunningham Armstrong Steward McQuaide Sims Bates Harkey C. Davis

2nd Unit:

Alexander Ogletree Harkey Hus A. Hill Sabino Mason Stacy

· Some player observations: That Phillip Steward has made his way to the 1st unit on the punt coverage team says a lot about what they think of him.

· That Chase Reynolds is absent from either 1st or 2nd unit team is worth noting

· Johnny Hekker just kicks the stuffing out of the ball. 65 yards in the air, with 4.9 – 5.0 seconds hang time

7 0n 7 & 11 on 11 Drills:

Highlights:

Bradford to Brian Quick early and often

First play was a crossing route, with Quick making a one handed reception on a throw slightly behind him

1st unit on offense throughout the entire Red Zone period had Britt and Quick, Cook and either Kendricks or Austin (the WR rotation was not part of this package; with Stacy in the backfield

Bradford to Britt in the back of the End Zone over Jenkins

Britt and Quick worked exclusively with the 1st unit in all 11 on 11 drills

Bradford showed a ton of confidence in Quick. Was actually looking for him as primary, instead of as a bail out last option as in previous practices

Bradford to Cook down the seam for a 30 yard gain. Great throw and contested catch between McLeod and McDonald who had pretty good coverage

Britt, Quick and Cook on the field together is intimidating for defenses. Add Kendricks OR Austin and it looks scary.

Zack Stacy showed his 2013 form for the first time today.

Brian Quick takes exception to extra contact after pass break up from Joyner, shoves him back. Some will say so what, but it is just another example of Quick showing more confidence and not just tucking his tail between his legs and going to back to the huddle defeated. Next play Joyner tried to bump Quick who leaned on Joyner and back him off 2-3 yards. Physicality that hasn’t been present in his game.

Tavon Austin gets a few carries out of backfield. Jump cut to the outside and GOODBYE. 30 + yard gain.

Tre Mason also with a nice jump cut in the hole in Red Zone drill. Nice run.

Greg Williams is to defense what Mike Martz is to offense. Mad scientist. Different blitzes, formations (fronts) and coverages.

Lowlights:

Chris Givens running reps with the 3rd unit. He got some 2nd unit reps when paired with Pettis, but was also running with 3rd unit guys like Veltung and Blake.

Shawn Hill had a rough day with accuracy. Lots of passes under thrown.

Blitz pickup still looks to be a concern.

Once again, It appears that the hard count is a very effective tool in slowing down the pass rush. At least 3 more offsides by the d-line again today.

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

· Biggest crowd in the Fisher era. Place was packed, and electric

· Offense pulled out the stops today and pushed the ball downfield more

o Ran a couple of reverses…. To Austin who ran into the waiting arms of Robert Quinn for a huge loss

o Used Kenny Britt on a reverse for a nice gain

· Jo-Lonn Dunbar was part of Nickel package with the 2nd unit, replacing Bates as MLB. So Armstrong and Dunbar as 2nd unit LBs in Nickel

o Nice pass break up in RedZone

· New look O-Line seemed to hold up better than in previous days.

· Isaiah Pead and Tre Mason rotated with the 2nd unit

· Marcus Roberson can cover, but doesn’t seem to want to stick his nose it when it comes to contact

· EJ Gaines just “gets it” always in position, and was helping others get lined up in secondary

· Cody Davis was frequently directing Alexander in where to line up.

· With the absence of Tru Johnson, the CB looks frightfully thin

o McGee and Woodard are not ready

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Thanks for the report as always coach.

Everyone seems to have good things to say about EJ Gaines and Phillip Steward. I like Gaines a lot as a Mizzou guy. Glad to hear he's standing out for the right reasons. Hopefully he can stick as the 4th or 5th corner behind Jenkins/Johnson/Joyner and potentially McGee.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1st unit on offense throughout the entire Red Zone period had Britt and Quick, Cook and either Kendricks or Austin (the WR rotation was not part of this package; with Stacy in the backfield

yes yes YES.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
McGee not being ready doesn't really surprise me. Just had a feeling he wouldn't be what the team thought he would. Would be cool if I'm wrong, but I guess he's not making it hard for Roberson or Reid to compete for his spot.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
McGee not being ready doesn't really surprise me. Just had a feeling he wouldn't be what the team thought he would. Would be cool if I'm wrong, but I guess he's not making it hard for Roberson or Reid to compete for his spot.

From the different reports I've read, Reid isn't making it hard for McGee or anyone else to keep their spot.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blitz pickup still looks to be a concern.

i know it's a concern but we want every team to have trouble with blitz pick up against this d.

lockdnram21

Legend
Great report thanks coach. im worried about our cornerbacks. hopefully Gaines and Roberson push Jenkins hes been getting beat like a drum

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neither of those guys have stood out either. Roberson shows flashes of cover skills, but he just doesn't want any part of the physical side. Reid looks like "Just a guy". For all his hype I have yet to see anything that remotely resembles the player he was at FSU. But he sure seems to be this years Ray Ray in terms of fan fare.

jjab360

Legend
Gotta admit, I've had my serious doubts about Quick, but if he can finally put it together him and Britt could make one heck of a duo. Add in the firecracker wildcard TA, and Bailey bringing the cavalry a few weeks late, and I think we're gonna be just fine there. Or at least far better than recent years.

jap

Legend
o Brian Quick was the “go to guy” all day. He had more receptions than the rest of the WRs combined.

Highlights:

Bradford to Brian Quick early and often

First play was a crossing route, with Quick making a one handed reception on a throw slightly behind him

Bradford showed a ton of confidence in Quick. Was actually looking for him as primary, instead of as a bail out last option as in previous practices

Britt, Quick and Cook on the field together is intimidating for defenses. Add Kendricks OR Austin and it looks scary.

Brian Quick takes exception to extra contact after pass break up from Joyner, shoves him back. Some will say so what, but it is just another example of Quick showing more confidence and not just tucking his tail between his legs and going to back to the huddle defeated. Next play Joyner tried to bump Quick who leaned on Joyner and back him off 2-3 yards. Physicality that hasn’t been present in his game.

Looks like our young man child is growing up football-wise. I like the idea of Tavon teaming up with our Truck City WR crew.

· Johnny Hekker just kicks the stuffing out of the ball. 65 yards in the air, with 4.9 – 5.0 seconds hang time

Johnny rooms with Greg the Turbo Leg. They are probably consuming the same dishes of ambrosia to turbo-charge their legs.

Greg Williams is to defense what Mike Martz is to offense. Mad scientist. Different blitzes, formations (fronts) and coverages.

I always wanted to see Mad Mike paired with a defensive version of himself. If I wasn't concerned about the confusion it would cause for Sam and his young receivers, I would be pushing for mad Mike to return as OC. I am confidant The Fisher King would tone down the empty backfield scenarios.

Diesel

UDFA
Thanks Coach!
Nice to hear Quick is getting more aggressive thanks to Britt.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks again Coach! How is Given's body language? I fear he may be the surprise cut this year but maybe not until Bailey is back from suspension.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
1st unit on offense had Britt and Quick, Cook

That is great news, I also want to see a package with Tavon Austin and Givens on the outsides, a double deep threat, out of a power running formation. There will have to be 8 guys in the box, play action, boom! One of them will get single coverage, and will be way behind the defender.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is great news, I also want to see a package with Tavon Austin and Givens on the outsides, a double deep threat, out of a power running formation. There will have to be 8 guys in the box, play action, boom! One of them will get single coverage, and will be way behind the defender.

If you are hoping for Givens to be that guy, the way things look early on, I wouldn't hold your breath.

And assuming they get the running game going, which will feed the play actions passing game, I don't think you have to worry about someone getting open.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Awesome coach. I really appreciate the reports. Extremely excited to hear about Quick being the featured wideout. Any word on Pead?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Heck YEAHHHH!!! Love what I'm hearing!!! Thank you CoachO, you're a great asset to ROD. Love it!

-Kenny Britt is rubbing off on Quick. Quick is a big man and Britt is showing him how to play like a big man. That's HUGE for this team. Remember the stiff arm against SF Quick had on the jam and threw the guy to the ground (wide open TD)? That's who we need him to be. He's not a finesse receiver but plays like one at times. This is an identity change much like Finnegan had for the secondary. Cook falls in the same category.

- Joyner getting in on the fun. Gotta love a rookie making his presence known. But you gotta keep him in check, via a shove lol.

-Bradford is still the face of the offense. Great to hear he's settling in after the injury.

-EJ and Joyner filling the voids on the secondary will be a huge lift for the secondary. We need somebody to catch on fast at S now. Maybe Reid, Alexander, or the guy from Ohio can step up, here. I know McCleod is the leader of the pack, though. At least we have options.

-I literally lol'ed after reading Quinn destroyed the reverse to Tavon. He's a great player with a complete arsenal. How he's stepped up in playing the run AND pass has been a showing of great development. Hats off to the coaches.

- Tavon looking good on handoffs! That's awesome. Pundits him as a WR when talking about him, he plays 4 positions and excels. What he doesn't do in the slot he makes up for in PR'ing and taking handoffs. He was worth the trade up.

-I was surprised Hill had an off day. He's still getting his feet wet.

-I'm concerned with Givens. I feel he's fading out on us. I hope his rookie year isn't his best. I'd say we cut Pettis before him, though.

How did Donald, Tree', and C. Long look (especially Donald). I heard Donald was tearing it up the first day. Is he still doing that?

Thanks again, CoachO!!!