Buh bye Directv

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Officially canceled it finally. It feels rrrrrrrrreal good knowing that I'll never have to talk to their awful customer service ever again. By the way, if you ever decide to cancel and do not want to deal with their barrage of trying to keep you with "deals" that aren't nearly as good as they used to be just tell them you are moving out of the country. Kinda kills their ability to try and sell you anything. All though it still took 45 minutes despite that.

The cord has finally been cut.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Whooooo! I did the same about 2 years ago. I was tired of the convoluted bill statements that just seemed to continually increase. What are you replacing it with? I use Hulu & Netflix.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I would love to do this, however time warner cable is 100 times worse when it comes to service and price, I guess I am stuck because I need nfl ticket and like I said time warner is a joke !

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whooooo! I did the same about 2 years ago. I was tired of the convoluted bill statements that just seemed to continually increase. What are you replacing it with? I use Hulu & Netflix.

Yeah, the statements and the contracts if you wanted any kind of discount but the customer service put me over the edge finally. I've had several issues the last six months with them and have logged a lot of time on my phone dealing with language barriers and some times just unbelievably stupid people. Many times I just have to hang up and start over and hope you'll eventually get someone who can A) understand you and B) have basic comprehension skills.

But anyway, we're just going to replace it with various streaming services depending on what shows we want to watch at any given time since there are no contracts and you can just start and stop most of them at will. We've had Netflix for a while and will keep that. But will probably add Hulu for now and in the future when things like The Walking Dead come on get Sling tv for that... same for GoT. Best part is I could have Netflix, hulu, and sling tv at the same time and it'd still only be a third what my Dtv bill was and I'll only have sling probably half the year which is the expensive one. A rough estimate I'll save $800-$1,000 every year just going streaming.

For football I'm going to get NFL game pass. It's not a perfect situation but I shouldn't have a problem avoiding football scores Sunday during the day and will just plan on watching Rams games every Sunday night and watch anything else I care about during the week. For the prime time games I'll probably go over to family or friends house to watch or worse case scenario will watch them really late lol.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Working at customer service, I have no intentions of shooting the messenger. I would say though that I'm more than willing to point my fingers at the administration staff seeing that they allow this shenanigans to occur like an epidemic.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Working at customer service, I have no intentions of shooting the messenger. I would say though that I'm more than willing to point my fingers at the administration staff seeing that they allow this shenanigans to occur like an epidemic.

Oh I don't doubt it, and it may just be my experiences, I have had Dtv for almost 10 years up until now, but it seems like quality and training really went downhill after AT&T bought out Directv. But again may just be my unluckiness. I will say that there have been a couple wonderful people I've gotten that were a pleasure to talk to and completely fixed the various issues I had within minutes some times. But the hour it would take to get to that person was unfortunately my problem. Also, the contractors who set the stuff up in house were always wonderful as well.

So you work for directv yrba1? I also know that customer service is not an industry for the faint of heart lol. I'm sure everyone who works in it gets a lot of assholes all day long. Which is why I am always extremely nice to them even if they do frustrate or piss me off. But I can't justify giving Dtv any more of my money.

Jorgeh0605

As someone who used to work at a call center (I worked for T-mobile). I can tell you that the people you talked to over the course of that 6 months probably do not even work for the company anymore. Call centers generally have extremely high turnover. Poor employees probably only got 2 weeks training on how to handle ALL direcTV inquiries. Calling back until getting someone competent is really the best technique.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I used to have issues with Time Warner internet going out and them needing to resend the signal in my first apartment.. Apparently the previous owner rigged it up to use AT&T and in the process broke it... When they were installing the internet the Time Warner guys actually had to get an AT&T guy to help them out with it.

I couldn't stand the fact that I had to call twice, since the first would always be a robot and would never help.. So I had to go through that bullshit, then call back to finally get an operator. When the operator came on the phone I would go "I need you to re-ping my system, I already restarted, already checked all boxes, already manually changed IP, etc etc etc (basically all the steps they did before re-pinging) so lets just get it overwith. It usually made it easier, but every so often the person would try to run me through again, so I would just hang up and call back for a new person.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Oh I don't doubt it, and it may just be my experiences, I have had Dtv for almost 10 years up until now, but it seems like quality and training really went downhill after AT&T bought out Directv. But again may just be my unluckiness. I will say that there have been a couple wonderful people I've gotten that were a pleasure to talk to and completely fixed the various issues I had within minutes some times. But the hour it would take to get to that person was unfortunately my problem. Also, the contractors who set the stuff up in house were always wonderful as well.

So you work for directv yrba1? I also know that customer service is not an industry for the faint of heart lol. I'm sure everyone who works in it gets a lot of assholes all day long. Which is why I am always extremely nice to them even if they do frustrate or pee pee me off. But I can't justify giving Dtv any more of my money.

As companies get bigger, it tends to be difficult to maintain the upkeep of providing quality service at a larger volume. It's pretty much a hit and miss for customer service when a company is a large corporation. I'm personally not a fan of mergers and acquisitions as it tends to dilute the quality of goods and services.

I do not work for DTV, I work for a company that specializes in computer gaming and I'm seeing the same problems you're seeing with DTV as well: Poor training that often makes a rep and the company look bad but I'm not surprised, I just wish it blows to the administration staff's face. A company is always reflected by the owner's decision making and emphasizing too much on top-line or bottom-line business practices yield disastrous results. Look at In-N-Out and Costco and you'll understand why positive reinforcement to employees helps improve the company from the inside out.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
As someone who used to work at a call center (I worked for T-mobile). I can tell you that the people you talked to over the course of that 6 months probably do not even work for the company anymore. Call centers generally have extremely high turnover. Poor employees probably only got 2 weeks training on how to handle ALL direcTV inquiries. Calling back until getting someone competent is really the best technique.

How long did you work for T-Mobile's call center? I'm genuinely curious at the statistics of the high turnover rate. I'm working there for the experience.

Jorgeh0605

How long did you work for T-Mobile's call center? I'm genuinely curious at the statistics of the high turnover rate. I'm working there for the experience.
The call center I worked at was a 3rd party center. They get contracts for different companies like T-mobile, DirecTV, Aetna, Apple, Walgreens, etc. I worked at the company for 3 years, and it wasn't a difficult job. In that time I worked in 5 different accounts. I was considered a top performer but other people dropped like flies. And it really isn't because the job was demanding, it was because we literally hired anybody without a felony. It felt like everyday we had one less person, and we had new waves of new hires every 3 months.

The people that were let go, were let go legitimately. And anybody with enough skill to do well eventually left for bigger things, like myself. The company relied on this though. Knowing that they had to hire a bunch of people during holidays, but that they had zero need for half those employees once holiday season passed by. Its a model that seems to work in areas with a lot of low skill workers like my hometown.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The only trouble I have with Direct TV is the cost. I really wish I could get myself to cancel and go Game Pass and streaming but that Sunday football tradition would be sorely missed. If there is ever a cheaper live, alternative to the ticket then I would gladly switch.